Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

How's Buffalo doing btw?
I heard it's no longer shrinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2uN28EJRlA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taintrunner posted:

Whats going on with Foxconn?

They're opening a factory in Wisconsin in return for tax breaks and subsidies that amount to somewhere around a cost of one million dollars per job created.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

They're opening a factory in Wisconsin in return for tax breaks and subsidies that amount to somewhere around a cost of one million dollars per job created.

It's a 3 billion total deal in tax evasion credits and land rights.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
$200 million in tax credits a year offset by estimated $180 million in tax revenues

walker makes cuomo look like a master negotiator

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

godDAMNIT stop posting this

at least do the one where we miss the extra point

Korthal posted:

Buffalo built a $750m factory for Tesla to produce solar panels. The state owns the factory, but Tesla is only paying $1/year to lease it. It's widely thought that Tesla changed their mind about using the factory, as they haven't let anyone from the public inside of it since last autumn. This factory was supposed to be the crown jewel of Cuomo's START-UP NY project. I'm pretty sure everyone in Western NY has enough apathy to just not care about anything anymore.

Ha ha oh yeah. Is that solar city? It's funny how people keep watching private companies rip us off over and over and somehow the only people who make editorials talk about government waste.

Grondoth has issued a correction as of 01:51 on Jul 29, 2017

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

uncurable mlady posted:

$200 million in tax credits a year offset by estimated $180 million in tax revenues

walker makes cuomo look like a master negotiator

They should just give $20 million to like 200 poor people.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Monoraillll.... monorailll.... MONORAILLLLL

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what events are going to be held at the Times Union Center now that the Albany Devils moved out? it's not like they were packing the stands before they moved (dead last in the AHL in attendance, even behind Utica and Binghamton whose arenas can only hold up to 4000 people)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

what events are going to be held at the Times Union Center now that the Albany Devils moved out? it's not like they were packing the stands before they moved (dead last in the AHL in attendance, even behind Utica and Binghamton whose arenas can only hold up to 4000 people)

Looking at their website and thinking about what I've heard about them hosting in the past, concerts, wrestling, bull-riding? There's also a new Capital Center for events and conventions, and the old Egg, Capital Repertory Theater, and Palace all in the same general area.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Of loving course he does

https://twitter.com/VICE/status/891871053722660864

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the biggest problem with the MTA isn't that it's underfunded and needs more money to operate properly (although that's true), it's that it's structurally set up to come up short. it doesn't matter who is governor, the problems will remain if it favors one person. it was like this before cuomo and it'll be that way once he's gone, however long that will be

btw term limits for governors are good and we should have them like most states. but at least we may now have a primary challenger in Steph Miner

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking at their website and thinking about what I've heard about them hosting in the past, concerts, wrestling, bull-riding? There's also a new Capital Center for events and conventions, and the old Egg, Capital Repertory Theater, and Palace all in the same general area.
isn't the state capitol near there as well? i remember going up to albany a couple of times and seeing signs around the underpass pointing to the Times Union Center

i'd imagine having a team there is what will get people to come to that area more. the Rangers already have one foot out of Hartford and i'd bet Albany gets them if they leave. btw sorry that my favorite team straight-up didn't give a poo poo about running the team up in Albany. River Rats forever

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

What's her deal? Is she good or bad?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

What's her deal? Is she good or bad?
from what i hear she's decent. she's a self-proclaimed "infrastructure enthusiast" according to her twitter bio, and we all know that cuomo isn't. i couldn't tell you more than what's on her wiki page

she was once behind cuomo but has become a heated and vocal opponent since

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

literally: gently caress this guy

tax the rich bastards you surround yourself with you sad sack of poo poo

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

God help us, this is so dumb. it takes less than 5 minutes to drive or cab from the train station to the capital. the train I take back sometimes from Penn gets in at 440, right in the middle of rush hour, and it's never a problem, ever, not one single time in 22 years of doing this on a weekly basis, getting between there and downtown.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

isn't the state capitol near there as well? i remember going up to albany a couple of times and seeing signs around the underpass pointing to the Times Union Center

Yeah, it's all in the same general area.

gobbagool posted:

God help us, this is so dumb. it takes less than 5 minutes to drive or cab from the train station to the capital. the train I take back sometimes from Penn gets in at 440, right in the middle of rush hour, and it's never a problem, ever, not one single time in 22 years of doing this on a weekly basis, getting between there and downtown.

All they have to do is add a shuttle that'll come in ~10 minutes before each departure and ~10 minutes after each arrival. They already have one doing the rounds of a bunch of other parts of downtown that matter less than the train station. BAM! No infrastructure costs, maybe buy a shuttle or two and train a couple more drivers.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/nickpowellbkny/status/892201210593370113

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Aug 1, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

from what i hear she's decent. she's a self-proclaimed "infrastructure enthusiast" according to her twitter bio, and we all know that cuomo isn't. i couldn't tell you more than what's on her wiki page

she was once behind cuomo but has become a heated and vocal opponent since

Cuomo is very enthusiastic about infrastructure.

It's just that he fancies himself the second coming of Robert Moses and doesn't seem to realize that this is not a good thing to want to be.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

Cuomo is very enthusiastic about infrastructure.

It's just that he fancies himself the second coming of Robert Moses and doesn't seem to realize that this is not a good thing to want to be.
cuomo isn't an infrastructure enthusiast, he's a vain rear end in a top hat. he thinks every idea that gets his stamp of approval is a testament to his greatness. that's why the kosciusko bridge light show is going forward even though it really shouldn't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

being that vain he of course needs detractors to gloat over and therefore endorses a ridiculous 40 year plan to upgrade little lights in tubes underground that impact 10 million people every day

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

cuomo isn't an infrastructure enthusiast, he's a vain rear end in a top hat. he thinks every idea that gets his stamp of approval is a testament to his greatness. that's why the kosciusko bridge light show is going forward even though it really shouldn't

Being enthusiastic about infrastructure and being good at it are sadly not the same.

I mean, there's no denying that he's pushed the most ambitious infrastructure initiative this state has seen in at least 40 if not 80 years. It's just that it's wildly misallocated on moronic boondoggles like a train to nowhere from Laguardia, or a light show over newtown creek, or the Mario Cuomo Bridge (uggghhhh... Mario deserves something, but not like this not like this!), or the gaudy and excessive second avenue subway stations.

Meanwhile, he has given no fucks about anything that is falling apart that can or should be fixed rather than be completely replaced by something 1) shiny, 2) new, 3) impressive to people who aren't from around here, and most importantly, 4) that can be finished by 2020.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Wait, is it true that NY voters have to register by 10/13 to vote in the 2018 primaries?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

GalacticAcid posted:

Wait, is it true that NY voters have to register by 10/13 to vote in the 2018 primaries?

yes. I got hosed out of voting for Bernie because of this.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matt Zerella posted:

yes. I got hosed out of voting for Bernie because of this.

Yikes! I'll post in the LAN thread too I guess.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Am I reading this right? It looks like 10/13 is actually for the General Election. Deadline for primaries is August 18th.

https://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingDeadlines.html

Edit: Yeah I am - this is for 2017 elections. Carry on.

Hulk Krogan has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Aug 1, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

You have until 10/13 to change your party affiliation for the 2018 primaries.

New voters can register substantially later.

(Basically the way NY law is written, to vote in a primary, you must have been a registered member of the party in question during the previous general election.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ahh, that's right.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CaptainPsyko posted:

(Basically the way NY law is written, to vote in a primary, you must have been a registered member of the party in question during the previous general election.)

thanks, this is right. I was independent and then switched but it was too late.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In New York "unaffiliated voter" is another word for "sucker"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I put my vote in for the bern-man. I also saw him at Washington Square Park, which was awesome.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I love that penile keep trying to pin MTA underfunding on DeBlasio

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

In New York "unaffiliated voter" is another word for "sucker"

as if we aren't all suckers in this electoral system

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
By all means let's throw more money at an already gentrifying town, just to make sure to price out the last remnants who haven't fled to Catskill

We need to think up a Cuomo smilie.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's gotta incorporate :smug:

you're not alone in being suspicious. he also announced over a billion dollars to "revitalize" central brooklyn, which includes the gentrifying west part of crown heights as well as the poorer, less safe eastern part of the neighborhood, plus brownsville and east new york which are even worse off. the plan isn't even close to finished, but there's plenty of room for him to one-up de blasio in further loving up the city

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

CaptainPsyko posted:

Anyone know the easiest way to change your party affiliation? Have to switch off WFP back to dems so i can vote. Tried to find an online form and got totally lost in the site.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

E-Money posted:

Anyone know the easiest way to change your party affiliation? Have to switch off WFP back to dems so i can vote. Tried to find an online form and got totally lost in the site.

Same form as for new voters is used for party change and address change.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So The Atlantic has a really tone deaf article about how multiple million dollar condos and luxury apartments are actually good for poor people

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/08/how-luxury-housing-becomes-affordable/535563/?utm_source=atlfb

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

KomradeX posted:

So The Atlantic has a really tone deaf article about how multiple million dollar condos and luxury apartments are actually good for poor people

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/08/how-luxury-housing-becomes-affordable/535563/?utm_source=atlfb

The exact moment I read "luxury apartments are actually good for poor people" I knew the article was going to be "You can get affordable housing when we're sick of living in the new complexes."

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MizPiz posted:

The exact moment I read "luxury apartments are actually good for poor people" I knew the article was going to be "You can get affordable housing when we're sick of living in the new complexes."

Every comment on this article support of it makes me loving sick. I had someone say they're tired of seeing gentrification being posed as a social evil

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"Luxury Condos" don't stay luxury for long. They are shoddily made and are only intended to last until the initial buy-in. After that the amount of upkeep etc required to keep them livable is comparable to rent in a brownstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

"Luxury Condos" don't stay luxury for long. They are shoddily made and are only intended to last until the initial buy-in. After that the amount of upkeep etc required to keep them livable is comparable to rent in a brownstone.

You can see proof of this just by watching how fast the exteriors decay. It takes one year for those rear end-ugly stains to develop on all those concrete slab balconies (that nobody ever uses) and suddenly the luxury condo starts looking like a Soviet tenement.

Also those balconies each add like $1000 to the monthly rent lmaooooo