Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
My fight stick arrived yesterday and I had a couple of hours to play with it. I went with the Hori real arcade pro 4 and good heavens it is a lot bigger than I realised it would be. It feels really nice to use but I am absolutely awful (currently) at doing combos.

I spent my time in the Guilty Gear Revelator Xrd tutorial. My reaction speed at dashing is bad because I am so worried about breaking the stick when I know I shouldn't be! I am going to enjoy getting used to and learning how to use this properly. :D I made a little folder on my PS4 for purely the fighting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Fantasy Strike has the foundation of something fun to play. The game design is closest to something like Street Fighter 2. Fireballs and throws are good. Chip damage is good. You can't dash or airblock. All the characters have air moves that let them change their jump arc or become invulnerable in the air.

I think the game is oversimplified in some areas, but this is a super early state of the game and a lot can change. There is literally no crouching and just 1 normal button. I feel like that the game is missing another normal button and a crouching moveset. The limited ground normal options for me feels really jank. You only get 3 ground normals (4A, 5A, 6A). Since throws and chip damage are good, you can just get rid of overheads and let new players block jump attacks with crouch blocking. Maybe Sirlin's idea is that newer players get overwhelmed by all their options at any one time, but I feel like they're going to actually be more frustrated by a dude zoning them out with fireballs and getting a perfect.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 1, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

VideoGames posted:

My fight stick arrived yesterday and I had a couple of hours to play with it. I went with the Hori real arcade pro 4 and good heavens it is a lot bigger than I realised it would be. It feels really nice to use but I am absolutely awful (currently) at doing combos.

just keep playing with it and you'll get better at it

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

VideoGames posted:

I spent my time in the Guilty Gear Revelator Xrd tutorial. My reaction speed at dashing is bad because I am so worried about breaking the stick when I know I shouldn't be! I am going to enjoy getting used to and learning how to use this properly. :D I made a little folder on my PS4 for purely the fighting games.

The stick only requires small movements to register inputs, so you won't be needing to slam the stick hard enough to break it. If the parts on your fightstick do wear out, levers/buttons/etc can be replaced individually. Your inputs will get better and cleaner with time. It just takes practice. Revelator training mode has a nice feature that shows you how your stick movements register in the game, which is a nice plus.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

is it just me or is the tutorial in the first GGxrd much better than the one in Rev2? I feel like it was more natural facing an opponent in that one and the lessons were more organic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DLC Inc posted:

is it just me or is the tutorial in the first GGxrd much better than the one in Rev2? I feel like it was more natural facing an opponent in that one and the lessons were more organic.

It was certainly more comprehensive teaching all the mechanics but a really new player probably gets more out of the one they got now

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Real hurthling! - aaaaages ago posted:

Good first stick is the hori rap4.
Also play me in gg or sf

We will have to do bad battle in Guilty Gear when I have mastered the arcane arts of 'remember which button does what' on the rap4 that you recommended :D

dhamster posted:

Revelator training mode has a nice feature that shows you how your stick movements register in the game, which is a nice plus.

I will have to turn that on! The stick is very sensitive indeed!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

:yeah: im moving this week so youll have a few days to practice

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Remember to death grip the stick to strike fear into your opponents.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

FanaticalMilk posted:

Adding to that the fact that the jargon can differ by subgenres and there are so many terms across all fighting games that it's very easy to make tutorials and guides super overwhelming.

If you wanna be comprehensive, sure, but no fighting game newbie needs to worry about terms like 'fuzzy guard' for quite a while.

It's funny how few tutorials even try to hammer in the concepts of safe vs unsafe, though. They're just bad all around in general.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
most fg tutorials that people say they need would be rendered useless by those same people playing with more mindfulness and critical thought after matches

and if you need a tutorial to explain the concept that some moves are riskier than other moves then you are just beyond help.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Zand posted:

and if you need a tutorial to explain the concept that some moves are riskier than other moves then you are just beyond help.

Kinda how RTS games teach you how to build a base, but not the optimal build order.

Rockiavelli
Jan 22, 2005

Because we're morons, you and I
I don't want to pay $20 for the slowest fight game just so dave sirlin can reach climax

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
What's the matchmaking time like for guilty gear on steam . Steam charts says there are only 300 or so online players compared to tekken 7s 3k or so. I'm trying to decide of a new fight game to play

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

You need to join a discord to get matches in non sf or tekken fight game

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I think you could make an entire indie fighting game where the primary purpose is to teach people how to play fighting games. People get more and more mad these days when a new FG doesn't have a complete tutorial mode to onboard you to the genre all over again, but to do so in really effective ways would be a pretty huge amount of development effort.

Fantasy Strike seems like it could be a good skeleton for it, but Sirlin would have to double down on the "This is how you break into FGs" sell by focusing less on the lack of finger puzzles and more on gamifying the experience of being taught fighting game concepts.

The problem is that most bad players don't actually think they need something like this, and get frustrated when they end up losing to the people who really don't need it. Tekken tried to teach people who didn't think they needed to learn via the Fight Lab mode in TTT2, and Harada specifically commented that it was because so many people see "Tutorial" or "Training" as something they shouldn't have to do because they think they're good at video games already.

So if a given major FG release has a big chunk of seasoned players, a smaller chunk of inexperienced players who want to win but don't think they should have to practice or learn, and an even smaller chunk of inexperienced players who are willing to learn but only if it's a guided classroom experience, how much of your game development budget should you really spend on that last group? What features and content should you take out to be able to dedicate the resources to those people?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

TheMirage posted:

What's the matchmaking time like for guilty gear on steam . Steam charts says there are only 300 or so online players compared to tekken 7s 3k or so. I'm trying to decide of a new fight game to play

Press the player rooms button, join a room with good ping, walk your avatar to a cab and get in line. Takes less than a minute usually

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Brosnan posted:

I think you could make an entire indie fighting game where the primary purpose is to teach people how to play fighting games. People get more and more mad these days when a new FG doesn't have a complete tutorial mode to onboard you to the genre all over again, but to do so in really effective ways would be a pretty huge amount of development effort.

Fantasy Strike seems like it could be a good skeleton for it, but Sirlin would have to double down on the "This is how you break into FGs" sell by focusing less on the lack of finger puzzles and more on gamifying the experience of being taught fighting game concepts.

The problem is that most bad players don't actually think they need something like this, and get frustrated when they end up losing to the people who really don't need it. Tekken tried to teach people who didn't think they needed to learn via the Fight Lab mode in TTT2, and Harada specifically commented that it was because so many people see "Tutorial" or "Training" as something they shouldn't have to do because they think they're good at video games already.

So if a given major FG release has a big chunk of seasoned players, a smaller chunk of inexperienced players who want to win but don't think they should have to practice or learn, and an even smaller chunk of inexperienced players who are willing to learn but only if it's a guided classroom experience, how much of your game development budget should you really spend on that last group? What features and content should you take out to be able to dedicate the resources to those people?

disguise the tutorial as story mode

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Anyone looking for a Hori Rap 4 (ps4) or TE2 (360)? Moving and trying to get rid of them. Rather hook up a goon with a good deal than some craigslist rando.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I feel like the Event Mode or whatever they called it in Mortal Kombat 9 did some interesting and fun stuff about teaching the player mechanics. The ones that stick out in my memory are missions that strip away all player interaction except one or two moves, effectively making the player practice those move inputs to complete some task or other (usually fending off zombies). I think there were also ones where you had to just keep away from an AI player and not get hit for 10 seconds or so.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Zand posted:

most fg tutorials that people say they need would be rendered useless by those same people playing with more mindfulness and critical thought after matches

Yeah, as a rough concept, sure. But lots of people don't know how these games are architected, don't really think in terms of 'frames'. Think about how often the myth (outside of games like 3S that actually had it) of 'priority' got perpetuated.

Nothing will replace effort (including research) by players, but I can't believe you genuinely think fighting game tutorials (and other resources in games) are literally ideal.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

And here is the correct answer. Combine the tutorials in GG with an actual narrative with cut scenes and unlocks and the like you'll give a whole bunch of people the tools necessary to play Fight Games decently.

Now, that being said, there are a bunch of people who just can't accept losing without other people to blame their mistakes/loss on, so they'll stay firmly in Overwatch and Mobas (where they belong), but for those whose actual barrier was learning the skills and being motivated to learn more and more complicated things, making the tutorial a in depth and comprehensive story mode is the right way to go.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a decent idea but at least half the lessons in GG would feel like dumb bullshit to a new player without the "this is what we're teaching you, pay attention to this aspect of what you're doing" screens and the ability to see it pulled off correctly in a demo.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016

OK, you don't provide any specific reasons or make any concrete statements Here is the dictionary definition of arbitrary

based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

When you say "Sirlin seems to think/reason (decision) is good for the game" that precisely falls under the definition of arbitrary. So what you literally just said is his decisions are arbitrary.

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
I think a beginner friendly game would have to be something like rising thunder because the moves have cooldowns. What this does is somewhat strips away the importance of archetypes by adding a universal system of playing around cooldowns. It's certainly an easier system to understand, but MOBA's have shown even that is beyond a good chunk of people. Still, I think it would help to open the doors.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

Thats what I was hoping Tekken 7 was going to do and...

Nope.

Splatoon 2's not a fighting game, but it does this very well.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a decent idea but at least half the lessons in GG would feel like dumb bullshit to a new player without the "this is what we're teaching you, pay attention to this aspect of what you're doing" screens and the ability to see it pulled off correctly in a demo.

Gives it character IMO

I'm thinking of like F-Zero GX's story mode and how some chapters low-key force you to learn how to drift or manage boost

if you don't explicitly tell them how to beat the stage they feel real loving smart for figuring it out for themselves, which is the positive gameplay feedback loop you want

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Meridian posted:

Anyone looking for a Hori Rap 4 (ps4) or TE2 (360)? Moving and trying to get rid of them. Rather hook up a goon with a good deal than some craigslist rando.

I'll buy just the door from your HRAP4. Being serious.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am having a ridiculous amount of fun with this stick. I have been giving Mortal Kombat XL a try because I seem to own it and I'm not sure why, but the tutorial is a lot of fun. I'm stuck on one move but I am certain it's my speed/lack of/maybe doing the combo at the wrong time.

It's all very exciting! :D

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll buy just the door from your HRAP4. Being serious.

The cord door thing? I broke it. :ohdear:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VideoGames posted:

I am having a ridiculous amount of fun with this stick. I have been giving Mortal Kombat XL a try because I seem to own it and I'm not sure why, but the tutorial is a lot of fun. I'm stuck on one move but I am certain it's my speed/lack of/maybe doing the combo at the wrong time.

It's all very exciting! :D

If you like that game pick up injustice2 the community moved there

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Meridian posted:

SO DID EVERYONE ELSE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Other recs from your pal the crow: Rev2, Blazblue Central Fiction, if you're ok with importing, Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late[st] and koihime enbu

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If you have Xrd already and buy the Rev2 upgrade can you still access the training mode from Xrd or is it gone?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zand posted:

SO DID EVERYONE ELSE

Seriously. I think the thing was engineered to land "just so." It's miraculous that that one tiny little piece managed to snap so the thing couldn't be clicked back into place. Rest of the stick's in perfect shape though if anyone wanted it for the buttons or whatever.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Meridian posted:

Is the door itself fine or did the tabs attached to the door itself break?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

If you like that game pick up injustice2 the community moved there

Smoking Crow posted:

Other recs from your pal the crow: Rev2, Blazblue Central Fiction, if you're ok with importing, Under Night In-Birth Exe: Late[st] and koihime enbu

I did try a little of Injustice 1 (thanks PS+ subscription) and that was entertaining as all heck!

I have added Rev2 and Blazbue to my amazon gamelist.
I think I just need a lot of practice, it's a good job that practice in this case is enjoyable!

Magic Bus
Nov 5, 2011

Meridian posted:

Seriously. I think the thing was engineered to land "just so." It's miraculous that that one tiny little piece managed to snap so the thing couldn't be clicked back into place. Rest of the stick's in perfect shape though if anyone wanted it for the buttons or whatever.

My stick was delivered with the cord door broke.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I did try a little of Injustice 1 (thanks PS+ subscription) and that was entertaining as all heck!

I have added Rev2 and Blazbue to my amazon gamelist.
I think I just need a lot of practice, it's a good job that practice in this case is enjoyable!

Blazblue is cool and great but after like 3 years of xrd its just too slow a game for me to get into. Especially when sucking at it, cause it takes forever to do the amount of damage you can do with like one button in guilty gear and the matches lasy forever. Huge recommendation you grab tekken first since its very different and owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

absolutely anything posted:

i would like to revisit brian not believing that people can just put whatever the gently caress they want up on the playstation store and point out that the creator of The Demon Rush now has two video games available for ps4 and vita

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWnuxCm8_ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGuRHw8ij20

I knew this looked too familiar.