Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Fool posted:

Stay away from LabTech.

What kind of features are you looking for?

I am looking at PRTG, probably install the trial license tomorrow.

Bandwidth/ping/uptime for our remote sites, as well as HD/memory/CPU usage for servers and a way to centrally monitor VMs since we have nothing doing that at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volguus posted:

Well ... I did. I do.
code:
property:
    <tab>subProperty: val
and the parser shits itself. with vim all is good.

The concept of "watch your spaces or we throw up" is simply insane in and of itself for a structured text format.

Lol using tabs instead of spaces.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

I will say though that I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your boss to return your greeting instead of walking past mutely, eyes fixed forward. That's some bullshit right there.

This does remind me of a pet peeve that I run into constantly in the kitchen at the office:

Coworker: Hi MisterZimbu, how are you?
Me: Good, you?
Coworker: ...

I don't small talk good, but at least acknowledge that I loving answered.

It's not just one or two people, either. It's pretty much everyone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Bandwidth/ping/uptime for our remote sites, as well as HD/memory/CPU usage for servers and a way to centrally monitor VMs since we have nothing doing that at the moment.

I'd also look at solarwinds product N-Able/N-Central, it can do all that and more (stay away from patching if you're using WSUS already, N-Able patching breaks often), and will probably be cheaper. It's actually a pretty good product if you avoid the pain areas (patching and their AV product)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 1, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

Was given approval to spend money on some network monitoring software. Someone just gave me a recommendation for LabTech, but their website graphics are so goddamn obnoxious I don't think I can actually take them seriously. Most pages are filled with smarmy tech bros, and also here is their mascot:

LabTech is absolute poo poo. It's a platform designed for an MSP to paper over a hosed infrastructure by scripting service restarts when things break using babbys first scripting language, to maximise the amount of billable 'work' you can do for a customer. It is absolutely the wrong choice to deploy inside a company.

Also their entire support team is based out of Florida and know gently caress all about the product other than how to sell you extra PS time to get it working how you were told it would.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thanks Ants posted:

LabTech is absolute poo poo. It's a platform designed for an MSP to paper over a hosed infrastructure by scripting service restarts when things break using babbys first scripting language, to maximise the amount of billable 'work' you can do for a customer. It is absolutely the wrong choice to deploy inside a company.

Also their entire support team is based out of Florida and know gently caress all about the product other than how to sell you extra PS time to get it working how you were told it would.

Good to know their terrible web design is actually representative of the company as a whole!

MF_James posted:

I'd also look at solarwinds product N-Able/N-Central, it can do all that and more (stay away from patching if you're using WSUS already, N-Able patching breaks often), and will probably be cheaper. It's actually a pretty good product if you avoid the pain areas (patching and their AV product)

Thanks, I'll check those out too.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Good to know their terrible web design is actually representative of the company as a whole!

Thanks, I'll check those out too.

be prepared to get barraged with sales info forever when you give them your phone number/e-mail address though, other people have posted about it, but they are a little overbearing at times.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sirotan posted:

There's at least four or five fundamentally different UI designs in use depending on when they panicked about not having a specific feature and (presumably) outsourced or acquired someone else's product and badly integrated it.

Their "cloud" deployment of the product is to run it in AWS on top of Windows with a GUI:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/La...Access%7C_____2

This is one bit of UI:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/La...abTech%7C_____2

This is another:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/La...gement%7C_____2

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 1, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Sirotan posted:

Was given approval to spend money on some network monitoring software. Someone just gave me a recommendation for LabTech, but their website graphics are so goddamn obnoxious I don't think I can actually take them seriously. Most pages are filled with smarmy tech bros, and also here is their mascot:

LABTECH SUCKS

Thanks Ants posted:

Yup!

Sirotan posted:

PRTG may not check all those boxes. It isn't a host based monitor so you're relying on WMI for stuff IIRC

What's your budget and company size?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:downs:: "Hey customer sign off on this proposal"
:unsmith:: "OK"
:downs:: "Thank you for your custom! I'll get it all ordered!"
:downs:: "Hey Thants, will this stuff that is now past the point of being able to be cancelled do what I told the customer it would? What I mean is I want you rubber-stamp it so it's not my problem any more."
:science:: :suicide:

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Volguus posted:

Exactly my point. Thank you.
Tabs vs spaces is a worthy debate for humans. Parsers should not have these kind of requirements/preferences. If they do, they're wrong.

Whitespace being important is also awful.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

milk milk lemonade posted:

PRTG may not check all those boxes. It isn't a host based monitor so you're relying on WMI for stuff IIRC

I haven't been given a budget but my boss seemed fine with PRTG's 2500 sensor pricing at 3yrs which was ~$8k. 23 physical locations, 300 users, 100 or so VMs spread across a dozen physical boxes. We don't have a need for monitoring of user machines as we already have an application for that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

From what I know about PRTG, I can't help but feel it's not the tool you want for VMware monitoring. It's great for network stuff (sFlow/SNMP/whatever) though. What metrics do you want out of this, or is it just to make a dashboard of things that are broken, monitor datastore capacities etc?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I inherited a prtg setup with every Windows endpoint mixed in with network devices, and it was absolutely incomprehensible. The time it would take to tweak alerts so important poo poo gets noticed but the alarms aren't always going off is a huge investment.

I dumped the whole thing and set it up for network devices only and it's fantastic. Alerts when I need them, peace and quiet when things are fine, and the data makes sense if I have to dig around for anything.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Fwiw I'd try my hand at a Nagios implementation before going with PRTG. PRTG has some cool features but you're going to eternally run into the boundaries of agentless monitoring unless it doesn't matter.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Volguus posted:

Exactly my point. Thank you.
Tabs vs spaces is a worthy debate for humans. Parsers should not have these kind of requirements/preferences. If they do, they're wrong.

Wouldn't that be nice (although mixed tabs/spaces, does 2/3/4 spaces "count" as one tab, etc makes that a bit more complicated). Short of that, though, the benefit of using vi (or emacs, or any fully-qualified "code editing" program probably) is being able to do stuff like
code:
autocmd FileType make setlocal noexpandtab
autocmd FileType yaml setlocal expandtab
Tweak it once for whatever file formats you work with and then never think about it again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fwiw I'd try my hand at a Nagios implementation before going with PRTG. PRTG has some cool features but you're going to eternally run into the boundaries of agentless monitoring unless it doesn't matter.

If nothing else, trying it in Nagios will give you a very good understanding of your infrastructure.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I don't have the kind of time available to engage with Nagios and really set it up well for our environment, or at least that's the impression I get when reading about it. I've been told we have an excess of capital that we have to spend now now NOW and PRTG seemed to be the big name of the bunch. We're a Hyper-V shop so monitoring of VMs could maybe be better performed by SCVMM (not even close to happening due to reasons involving my lovely boss) or maybe even Veeam (One? we're already running Veeam B&R) vs a PRTG or Solarwinds.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sirotan posted:

I don't have the kind of time available to engage with Nagios and really set it up well for our environment, or at least that's the impression I get when reading about it. I've been told we have an excess of capital that we have to spend now now NOW and PRTG seemed to be the big name of the bunch. We're a Hyper-V shop so monitoring of VMs could maybe be better performed by SCVMM (not even close to happening due to reasons involving my lovely boss) or maybe even Veeam (One? we're already running Veeam B&R) vs a PRTG or Solarwinds.

Veeam One would give you some pretty good dashboards and metrics on your VM's, but nothing else. It is probably even included in your B&R license, at least it was for us.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Unless you have literally 0 time or poop your pants when you hear Linux it isn't that bad.

You're going to find PRTG is a pain in the rear end in its own way. It's dirt cheap for a really good reason. If you get a quote from SolarWinds and you can afford it go for it. Going to be a hell of a lot more than 8k a year though.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Today two separate people have spelled my name incorrectly in email replies where my name is part of my signature. It's a common name, and uses the common spelling. There's a variant that people think is common, but in my entire life I've only met one person using that variant.

It pisses me off that they can't look down to spell my name correctly, and I can't graciously correct them, because no matter what it comes off as a dick move. It just hits me as a hugely disrespectful action. Almost as bad as the people on the phone who call me by my co-worker's name just because it starts with the same letter.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tigren posted:

poo poo pissing me off today:

Working with THREE (3) Project Managers on the same project and knowing their project requirements better than them. If this project is urgent and needs to be handled as quickly as possible, come to me with the proper requirements so I can get everything set up properly. I've worked on this application before and it required two separate network connections, one for the application and one for the DB. Yet, I was told to configure new hosts on one single VLAN. When I mentioned there were two last time, PM2 had the nerve to tell me I should know the networking requirements for their project. If that was the case, why would you have a job PM!?!

From what I can tell, 90% of a PM's job is just telling people "I want this done immediately".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Checks out, a PM I'm working with at the moment has been receiving little nudges from me about things they might want to consider for three months, ignoring them, and has spent this week running around trying to get things with a lead time immediately.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

The Fool posted:

If a standard specifies spaces, just use spaces and move on.

"People do dumb things, learn to live with it" is an advice that can be given to 99% of the "poo poo that's pissing me off" things. Yes, I live with it (until I'll change it), doesn't mean it won't be pissing me off.

On the workstation, yes one can configure editors/IDEs/whatever but when you have to ssh into some god knows what server, and just need to change/add that one property once in a blue moon, asking for a preconfigured environment... that's a bit much.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's 2017 and I still have to deal with label printing issues. My first computer labels were on a dot matrix printer back in... I don't know... 1987?

EDIT: VVVVV Everything was just as awful then as it is now.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 2, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dick Trauma posted:

It's 2017 and I still have to deal with label printing issues. My first computer labels were on a dot matrix printer back in... I don't know... 1987?

And they were just as awful then as they are now.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

Label printers used to be the bane of my existence at my last job, mainly because we had so many clients using outdated hardware/software. One legit had an XP box for their printer/software because they didn't want to purchase the updated version, it ran through some weird parallel port configuration. Another client, I had no idea they even used label printers since their previous IT manager never mentioned it, nor did we get any calls about them...at least it was just a broken and easily replaceable Dymo unit.

E:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus Christ, you have the support address, you know you should be using it. But instead you're sending me requests when I'm in the middle of poo poo.

It might seem petty, but I'm ignoring them for a few hours before replying and recommending in the future they send tickets to the support address. This is the third one today.

Happened all the time at the MSP I last worked for and was one of the biggest reasons I left - one particular client would email me about something "urgent", I'd ignore it because we have a ticket system that can be emailed and we push hard on phone calls for anything critical. Idiot client would then call my boss, bitch that I didn't reply to his oh-so-important email, and boss would poo poo on me instead of backing me up and telling the client to use our processes. Since my boss was a massive doormat, I created a rule to send all the emails from the domain of said client to our help desk ticket email system, and told my boss that if he didn't start standing up for his employees, he'd have a LOT fewer to deal with.

When I put in my two weeks, the last week there they tried to put me on our on-call rotation when I wasn't scheduled. Someone else was supposed to be on call but took time off and didn't get anyone to cover, and my turn wasn't until the end of August. They told me nobody else was available (bullshit) and they liked being petty and vindictive, so I agreed to take the on call shift. Then I came back later that night after work hours, wiped my laptop, reset my phone, returned all badges/company effects, cleaned my desk out and left. Sent an email basically saying "new job wants me to start sooner, my stuff is locked in <manager's> office, peace out" and took a week off before starting my current job. After dealing with almost 3 years of horseshit from managers that cared more about favoritism, politics, and using engineers as scapegoats for their poor choices, enough was enough.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 2, 2017

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Today two separate people have spelled my name incorrectly in email replies where my name is part of my signature. It's a common name, and uses the common spelling. There's a variant that people think is common, but in my entire life I've only met one person using that variant.

It pisses me off that they can't look down to spell my name correctly, and I can't graciously correct them, because no matter what it comes off as a dick move. It just hits me as a hugely disrespectful action. Almost as bad as the people on the phone who call me by my co-worker's name just because it starts with the same letter.

That sort of poo poo really pisses me off, especially in an email. A ticket I sort of get, since the tickets I get are from our t1 and they have handle times and all that crap. But using "are" instead of "our" in an email? No basic proofing for sanity of thought?

Comes off super duper well to the managers and directors I cc'd when I'm chiding you for lack of attention to detail.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volguus posted:

"People do dumb things, learn to live with it" is an advice that can be given to 99% of the "poo poo that's pissing me off" things. Yes, I live with it (until I'll change it), doesn't mean it won't be pissing me off.

On the workstation, yes one can configure editors/IDEs/whatever but when you have to ssh into some god knows what server, and just need to change/add that one property once in a blue moon, asking for a preconfigured environment... that's a bit much.

Try this:

nano -ET4

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

skooma512 posted:

From what I can tell, 90% of a PM's job is just telling people "I want this done immediately".

There's good PMs, and bad PMs, and there seems to be very little in between. I assume if you're a mediocre PM who's come out of a background where you had to work on projects in any way shape or form you eventually learn how to be good, but if you've gotten promoted via incompetence then you just languish in "terrible" territory forever. It doesn't help that it's one of those jobs that tends to have a nebulous "empower your developers to complete their tasks" job description that allows terrible PMs to be carried by decent developers.

My last 3 PMs had backgrounds of "QA/support tech", "NOC/Ops tech", and "manager who got hired into the company because the developers he was managing at his old company did a cool thing"; you can probably guess which 2 were good PMs.

e:

Volguus posted:

Is it an environment where you can at least autoconfigure something minimal to tag along with you? We have herds in AWS/EC2 but our ops have explicitly set up the base image to allow for a per-user defined home directory (max 20mb, iirc) synced from a master share so that people don't have to deal with literally vanilla bash on every machine they touch. Even a couple KB of ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, ~/.vimrc, and bash aliases is enough to cut down on a lot of headaches and lost productivity time per user.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 2, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Yes is aws, but I am now in the process of setting the drat thing up. Building a sane image, getting stuff deployed from build server, etc.

But this was not about "how to bend over for yaml" question ( though I thank you for the help). It was a rant on how yaml is an idiotic format, that needs something like that to be even usable (without killing the space bar). And there are people out there who even like it (they did choose it for their stupid application). And that's what's pissing me off.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Fair enough. I think we're all pretty bad at "listening to venting without trying to provide solutions" in here v:shobon:v

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BOOTY-ADE posted:

When I put in my two weeks, the last week there they tried to put me on our on-call rotation when I wasn't scheduled. Someone else was supposed to be on call but took time off and didn't get anyone to cover, and my turn wasn't until the end of August. They told me nobody else was available (bullshit) and they liked being petty and vindictive, so I agreed to take the on call shift. Then I came back later that night after work hours, wiped my laptop, reset my phone, returned all badges/company effects, cleaned my desk out and left. Sent an email basically saying "new job wants me to start sooner, my stuff is locked in <manager's> office, peace out" and took a week off before starting my current job. After dealing with almost 3 years of horseshit from managers that cared more about favoritism, politics, and using engineers as scapegoats for their poor choices, enough was enough.

That had to be a satisfying mic drop.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sirotan posted:

PRTG if you spend money.

gently caress everything about labtech.

LABTECH SUCKS

Yup!

PRTG absolutely checks all of those boxes.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

DigitalMocking posted:

PRTG absolutely checks all of those boxes.

I was under the impression, I think from people in these very threads, that PRTG was not so great at resource management of itself, meaning once it got above a couple hundred sensors it was really slow to update etc. Is that not the case, or have they since fixed any performance issues?

I have no direct experience with it, so just inquiring since it seemed to be a really good solution the last time the whole monitoring debate came up, but then a couple people chimed in to say that it was great for 500 sensors or fewer and not so great above that.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I was under the impression, I think from people in these very threads, that PRTG was not so great at resource management of itself, meaning once it got above a couple hundred sensors it was really slow to update etc. Is that not the case, or have they since fixed any performance issues?

I have no direct experience with it, so just inquiring since it seemed to be a really good solution the last time the whole monitoring debate came up, but then a couple people chimed in to say that it was great for 500 sensors or fewer and not so great above that.

Let me check our installation rq.

We're currently running 2381 sensors across 3 servers. I have no problems at all, monitoring and alerting works very well. I currently use it for mostly the network infrastructure, but I do monitor some linux boxes and a couple of windows systems that fall outside of what our SCOM admin wants to touch.

Main office is the bulk of it, monitoring 1681 sensors on an older dell R710 that we put some extra RAM in (it's got 16gb) and a pair of mirrored SSD drives. Remote boxes are even smaller, 8GB ram, single SSD since all their configs are kept on the main box if the remote probe goes down.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sirotan posted:

Ha, I love everything about the 'Benefits' tab on that page. Who writes this stuff?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: VVVVV Everything was just as awful then as it is now.

My company makes printers and MFP's. In our print driver, there is a 'Labels' setting under media type. However, it does nothing. It is a preset that you can setup on the copier for handling media, but no one ever does. The correct setting for labels is 'Thick 2', not 'Label'. This is never explained anywhere and both settings are in the same drop down list.

Why yes, I am :yotj: soon, why do you ask?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
poo poo not pissing me off: after years of dealing with legacy codebases in PHP and Perl, I finally got to work on a project with our non-legacy team. Fully automated continuous integration, builds that automatically kick back on failed BDD or insufficient unit test coverage, development sandboxes that can be spun up and down in AWS with two commands. :syoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

MF_James posted:

Another vote for Solarwinds here, we use it and like it.