Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Do you really have to complete every single level in the single player campaign with a weapon just to unlock a reskin? :wtc:

On that note, for the people that have played with the umbrella shotgun a bit, what do you think about it? I'm personally a little iffy on it, but I can see it having quite a bit of utility for more support oriented playstyles.

I like it. Seems like it'll be useful for getting the drop in snipers with the shield, and when the umbrella launches ahead of you, you can surf behind it like I used to do with Seekers back in the day.

I tend to favor shot-gun weapons in shooters, so it seems like my jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I'm ready to throw in the towel and just give up entirely on splat zones. I just cannot win a match of this. Got almost out of c- but then I ended up on a losing streak and lost a lot of meter and I'm stuck here forever and I hate it. I'm fine with everything else but in splat zones if a team gets it at the start (never mine) they can just keep it forever. And all the zones are on tops of hills.

edit: lost another

Overbite fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 2, 2017

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Dr. Fetus posted:

You'll find people of varying skill levels there. Some know what they're doing. Others just got launched there from Go-Getter and can't handle the waves.

Oh yeah that's to be expected but I'm running into people that still don't know how glowflies work and I don't understand how they made it through go-getter without learning

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Overbite posted:

I'm ready to throw in the towel and just give up entirely on splat zones. I just cannot win a match of this. Got almost out of c- but then I ended up on a losing streak and lost a lot of meter and I'm stuck here forever and I hate it. I'm fine with everything else but in splat zones if a team gets it at the start (never mine) they can just keep it forever. And all the zones are on tops of hills.

Try changing weapons? Some weapons work better in some modes than others. I got to A- with the Tri-Slosher. My bane is Tower Control. I hate it and I suck at it.

I suck at Rainmaker too, but I like it, so I persist.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Overbite posted:

What exactly are you having trouble with there? It's not generally a good idea to focus purely on the zones in some situations. If there are fire-fights constantly happening there, you may want to approach that from a different angle. Such as coming from behind forcing them to take some time to turn around. If there are Chargers or other people covering the zones from a long distance, you may want to go off to deal with them. And if you're the only one alive, it's not a good idea to contest the zones at all, or possibly defend them, as doing so is usually suicide. Wait for the team to respawn, then take action.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I have no idea what my issue is. I'm good with a regular slosher but trash with the tri slosher for some reason. I can get top spot and do well in every other mode but in zones i'm completely useless. My team cant even get the zone once. We just die as soon as we go near it.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I've only been playing this for a few days and what I enjoy the most (so far) is thinking my team lost, then realizing the other team left an entire area untouched.

Also the rest of it is pretty great

e: Does this mean I'm not checking the map enough?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
In Splatoon 1 the ranked scoreboard order was (not at launch but after some patch) sorted by recent win-loss record. Wouldn’t be surprised if they carried that into 2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Mode changed to rainmaker and now it's fine, topping the board and won the game. This mode isn't bad :D

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Overbite posted:

I have no idea what my issue is. I'm good with a regular slosher but trash with the tri slosher for some reason. I can get top spot and do well in every other mode but in zones i'm completely useless. My team cant even get the zone once. We just die as soon as we go near it.

It may be best to stick with the weapon you're good with. You can probably get more results that way and learning how to use it better, instead of trying to learn how to use an entirely new weapon first on top of trying to learn how to play a game mode.

As for the Tri-Slosher, you have to keep in mind that its range is considerably shorter than the Slosher, and most other weapons. In a direct fight, you'll probably lose if the other person is too far away because they can reach you and you can't reach them. Burst Bombs do have more range than the Tri-Slosher, but they do take up a lot of ink to use. You'll also want to learn how to use Burst Bombs properly, they're a very useful sub when used right. (For example, if someone is approaching you, you can bean them with a bomb, then splash ink into their face for the kill.) You'll definitely want to get a bit of a jump on the enemy before splashing them. Approaching them head on will get you splatted most of the time unless they have bad aim.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You could just not play Splat Zones. Whenever SZ is up I play salmon run or a different video game

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Splat zones are the best though ????

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Tatsuta Age posted:

Splat zones are the best though ????

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think the umbrella is my favorite weapon so far.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm sorry you two have never experienced the pleasure of dunking the rainmaker within the first minute of the match

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm sorry you two have never experienced the pleasure of dunking the rainmaker within the first minute of the match

Rain maker is the truth

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Lakbay posted:

I just did that, and of course on the results screen it shows a big 0 next to everything because I grabbed it asap and dunked it in under a minute. This is a good mode.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Seems like if more than 1 flyfish spawns at once and your team's not on it with the quickness you're pretty much hosed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My long standing complaint about splatzones is that the stealth nature of the game really doesn't work when the defenders get to do it. Once you push past the zone in splat zones it can be really hard to push past a team to even try to disrupt the clock because they can camp and see you coming a mile away generally. It's less of an issue with better map design though, these are all a lot more open vs say Mall which was a nightmare.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Overbite posted:

I just did that, and of course on the results screen it shows a big 0 next to everything because I grabbed it asap and dunked it in under a minute. This is a good mode.

It's less what you got and more how much shame the other people are feeling for getting dunked on that hard.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
come the gently caress on "cj" you have a whole loving path to the goal inked with two of us spamming THIS WAY but you stayed in the middle trying to get splats with the rainmaker

we could have easily won "cj" but instead we lost by 1

i realize "cj" you are probably literally 8 years old but use your head man

https://twitter.com/switch_afro/status/892544476836642816

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like how Mr. Grizz tells you and the rest of the workers to not think about unionizing during a mothership wave.

The Treehouse deserves more love for these localizations.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Afro posted:

come the gently caress on "cj" you have a whole loving path to the goal inked with two of us spamming THIS WAY but you stayed in the middle trying to get splats with the rainmaker

He's 8 and a busta

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Afro posted:

"if you're good you should be able to carry the match and skip skill ranks"

:v:

I've gotten myself up to B in all modes now but holy poo poo was it painful with some of these guys who refuse to be a team player

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cicadas! posted:

Seems like if more than 1 flyfish spawns at once and your team's not on it with the quickness you're pretty much hosed.

Flyfish are definitely the most threatening boss and most likely cause of wipes. Its a combination of being able to attack across the entire map while also being difficult to kill quickly. They can't be flushed out easily, and leaving them alive means they will harass you from literally anywhere. Its very easy for the pressure from their missiles to compound to a point where its nearly impossible to survive, so eliminating them should always be a high priority. Some tips;

-If you attack a flyfish with your teammates, wait a second to see where they throw grenades. This will help prevent situations where everyone throws their nade into the same slot.
-It is possible to one-cycle flyfish solo, but its very difficult. You need to throw a grenade in as soon as the chambers open, immediately refill your ink, and then throw another. Refilling your ink while under any pressure is hard, and the flyfish is likely to target you with the missiles and force you out anyways. Its still something to aim for though.
-You can kill them with the stingray and inkjet. With the stingray, aim for the pilot itself rather than the missile chambers. The laser will pierce the canopy and splat the pilot. With the inkjet, two blasts fired directly into an open chamber will destroy it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So it seems like the pink globes from Salmon Run are just last month's gear?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

3 short of quota, 15 seconds left, 3 of us running together with golden eggs and the first guy immediately lifts the elevator and leaves us to die :negative:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Afro posted:

All you had to do was follow the drat path CJ!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver Falcon posted:

I tend to favor shot-gun weapons in shooters, so it seems like my jam.

Same. I am a high speed Coke Addict spider in Payday 2. And I dug Scoot in TF2. The only problem is that I'd need like, 2x speed for the Brella for it to be a main.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So does using the Brella for every single player level unlock it for turf war, or can it not do that yet

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

So does using the Brella for every single player level unlock it for turf war, or can it not do that yet

Sheldon says it's not ready for purchase.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Keiya posted:

Lol

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

3 short of quota, 15 seconds left, 3 of us running together with golden eggs and the first guy immediately lifts the elevator and leaves us to die :negative:

You can climb up that elevator too if it's inked.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like how Mr. Grizz tells you and the rest of the workers to not think about unionizing during a mothership wave.

The Treehouse deserves more love for these localizations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

If I have it, I immediately pop stingray if there's a flyfish unattended. That poo poo needs to be shut down immediately.

Then get murdered by a swarm of smallfry because I'm stuck in green and don't know how to put it away.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Cicadas! posted:

That, and the Drizzler. That rain cloud attack is deceptively powerful, and not many people seem to realise you can shoot down the missile before it has a chance to create one. If you see a floating green football, for the love of god take it out. It takes like two shots. You can even defeat the Drizzler instantly if you deflect the missile back at it, though it's nearly impossible to do.

Owers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 2, 2017

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Are the servers unstable for anyone else? I haven't had any problems before today, but I just had four "unstable connection" errors in Salmon Run and dropped an entire rank.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Keiya posted:

Same ole CJ. Bustah. Straight Bustah.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Went up against a level 1 named "Bye" doing the Splattershot burst bomb jump shot combo consistently. It was embarrassing for me and my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Barber posted:

Final boss spoilers
That is a great bit, but maybe don't