Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"In...dispensible"

muscles like this! posted:

Show really needs to do more goofy episodes like this one. 2's dog face, Android's obsession with the past, characters actually having fun and not just constantly scowling at everything.

Blink drive should malfunction at least once a season and send them to a new and wacky time period for hijinx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
"I bet this picture will get me two million upvotes on reddit!"

It was great how the kids change from suspicion to admiration when they find the spaceship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Blink drive should malfunction at least once a season and send them to a new and wacky time period for hijinx.

It actually works well as a silly plot device for shenanigans like time-travel and alternate universes, because it only helps to reinforce the general agreement that holy poo poo, we should not let anyone have this loving thing.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

New episode :science: talk

They did time travel paradoxes well too. Awareness of inevitability, rather than some half-assed causality driven narrative where they fumble around trying to change something that "hasn't happened yet".

Creating/fear of creating a paradox is paradoxical, and not a good plot point. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

New episode :science: talk

They did time travel paradoxes well too. Awareness of inevitability, rather than some half-assed causality driven narrative where they fumble around trying to change something that "hasn't happened yet".

Creating/fear of creating a paradox is paradoxical, and not a good plot point. :v:

My only complaint is that the plot device of "Five goes back in time, here's Five back again" is a little too rushed and wasted, because you could set up the same thing with a remote link to the ship. Six kilometers isn't a far distance for a wireless link built on 600+ years of technological advancement. They really should've gone full Bill and Ted with it to set up a bunch of things that didn't make sense at the time but were helpful.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I liked this episode. It is a good show.

That is my review, thank you.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It actually works well as a silly plot device for shenanigans like time-travel and alternate universes, because it only helps to reinforce the general agreement that holy poo poo, we should not let anyone have this loving thing.

Androids and AIs need to take over. Like, that's the only place to go.

I watched Farscape. I know how dangerous wormholes can be.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird that it was a fake console and that multiple game options were fake but then they play Dungeon Siege 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of weird that it was a fake console and that multiple game options were fake but then they play Dungeon Siege 3.

That's just licensing issues. Dungeon Siege III's a multiplatform title, so it's entirely possible they got the legal permission to use the game in the show without anything that'd actually run it. It's also an old game, so Sony and Microsoft probably wouldn't want a TV show showing off their last-gen machines.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Of course the science fiction show made between 2005-present flies directly to the area of Vancouver.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Accretionist posted:

Four has good taste in shirts.

why do I have a feeling 3 and 4 at a con are the biggest dorks ever. :D

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Of course the science fiction show made between 2005-present flies directly to the area of Vancouver.

:ssh: It's filmed in Toronto aka New East Vancouver

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I like how many episodes this season are just completely going Stargate SG1

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It's probably their best option at this point, the whole corporate garbage is the worst part of the show.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Is there a reason the latest episode isn't up on their app/website yet? I could have sworn all Syfy shows were on on-demand next day.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really dont like the pacing of this show.

We had how many time travel episodes so close together?

It would have tied better together to have that weird time device play a roll then the blink drive.

Also they had to many teasers at the end of the episode having 2 or 3 things hinted at and then smash credits is just weird.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I started re-watching season 1 and I so don't miss One/Corso. It's almost like shows don't need a boring "straight man" character.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

qirex posted:

I started re-watching season 1 and I so don't miss One/Corso. It's almost like shows don't need a boring "straight man" character.

I thought he'd be back after the time travel trip, going to have to give up on him ever returning to the show.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

It would have tied better together to have that weird time device play a roll then the blink drive.

Also they had to many teasers at the end of the episode having 2 or 3 things hinted at and then smash credits is just weird.

For there to be pacing issues there'd have to be a plot.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

Yes but now we have Apple and Soccer Mom Two.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is that the plot device of "Five goes back in time, here's Five back again" is a little too rushed and wasted, because you could set up the same thing with a remote link to the ship. Six kilometers isn't a far distance for a wireless link built on 600+ years of technological advancement. They really should've gone full Bill and Ted with it to set up a bunch of things that didn't make sense at the time but were helpful.

I agree with this. They hinted at it a little bit with the proximity alarm, but I think it was a runtime constraint ( :v: ) issue with the episode only being so long.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was amused that they are using the recall function as a reason to not use the blink drive all the time.

Oh no, scientist guy may pull you back to the past every once and while but since you have a functioning drive you can, I dunno, just leave again after you tell him to knock it off.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Man, you can reliably time travel with this Blink Drive, as well as travel anywhere instantly, and enter alternate dimensions. Not only that but we have the only known functioning one in the universe.

JUST. DESTROY. IT. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD.

Maybe without the drive, they could focus on the galaxy wide war supposedly going on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't give a poo poo about the war. I want more time loops, and pocket universes, and time travel.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Corporate War would be really expensive to show. And most of their budget goes towards physical sets and Roger Cross' paychecks, I would imagine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JossiRossi posted:

Man, you can reliably time travel with this Blink Drive, as well as travel anywhere instantly, and enter alternate dimensions. Not only that but we have the only known functioning one in the universe.

JUST. DESTROY. IT. FOR. THE. LOVE. OF. GOD.

Maybe without the drive, they could focus on the galaxy wide war supposedly going on.

With half the poo poo they've seen corporations have (alien parasites, black-hole bombs), let alone whatever insane poo poo they're still developing in black-ops labs throughout the galaxy, keeping an instant get-out-of-jail-free trump card is a very smart idea.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This episode made me laugh aloud several times like when the boy looks at the girl and says, "ooo yuck, that's my cousin!" Also 5 looks better Goth than future frumpy clothes and blue hair look. And is it my imagination or has she been losing weight?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They've been dressing her as more of an adult than a homeless teenager so that probably helps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wormil posted:

This episode made me laugh aloud several times like when the boy looks at the girl and says, "ooo yuck, that's my cousin!" Also 5 looks better Goth than future frumpy clothes and blue hair look. And is it my imagination or has she been losing weight?

The cousin reveal was a great punchline :allears:.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

[quote="Gonz" post="474951291... and Roger Cross' paychecks, I would imagine.
[/quote]

HE'S WORTH EVERY (CANADIAN SPACE) DOLLAR!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So for that last episode, I swear during the part where they're leaving earth, they play a song that's incredibly close to Leaving Earth from Mass Effect 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHA9oO1Ybg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Saw this model of the Raza at a 3D printer store at the mall.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So for that last episode, I swear during the part where they're leaving earth, they play a song that's incredibly close to Leaving Earth from Mass Effect 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGHA9oO1Ybg

A lot of the synth music in more recent Canadian SciFi sounds an awful lot like the music in the Mass Effect series. I'm pretty sure the industry over there is really small and they wind up copying one another.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm, per Joe's blog

quote:

Well Holy Smokes! When I composed yesterday’s blog entry and asked fans to select a former Stargate cast member to guest in Dark Matter’s fourth season, little did I realize the deluge I was in for. Between this blog, reddit, Facebook, google, and twitter, I’ve received over 1000 responses. And counting! Requests have ranged from the expected (Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks) to the pleasantly surprising (Dan Shea, Teryl Rothery) to the impossible-but-nice-try (a puddle jumper, the stargate itself!). I was so blown away by the reaction from fandom that I’ve decided to give all those gaters a little present in the form of their requested guest star. Here’s how it’ll work…

Tomorrow night, I’ll tally up all of your asks and put together a short list of 10-12 names made up of your most requested (and a few of my faves) and put it to a vote. I will do my damnedest to cast at least one of your top three choices (and maybe even a few other names) for Dark Matter’s fourth season. I say “do my damnedest” because scheduling and budgetary constraints may complicate matters (I hear that Jason Momoa has been keeping busy!), but I’ll promise you at least one or two familiar faces from the Stargate franchise will be popping up on or near The Raza in season four.

Of course, first we have to get picked up for a fourth season but fandom is strong and vocal, our numbers are on the rise (our +3’s and +7’s are strong, the show is just roughly 10% off last year’s viewership, and we’re currently the #3 show in total viewers average on SYFY for 2017 with four more episodes to go!), and I’m suddenly feeling positive. I also have the perfect episode in which to introduce them!

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/august-2-2017-stargate-and-dark-matter-and-apparently-farscape-fandoms-converge/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

A CGI Don S. Davis

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

R-Type posted:

A lot of the synth music in more recent Canadian SciFi sounds an awful lot like the music in the Mass Effect series. I'm pretty sure the industry over there is really small and they wind up copying one another.

I don't think they're copying one another as much as they're all trying to recreate a particular 80s synth sound that was popularized by the likes of John Carpenter, Giorgio Moroder, Tangerine Dream and others. The Mass Effect soundtracks borrowed really heavily from this style before it became cool to have an 80s synth sound. The Stranger Things soundtrack officially made that 80s synthy sound cool again.

Le Matos is a French-Canadian dude who did the Turbo Kid soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdbNc8QzXpo, which is a great homage to the sound of that era and leagues above the generic Canadian sci-fi sound you're referring to. He has a few other albums too and they're all just as good. Honorable mention to French but not-French-Canadian Carpenter Brut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1s9SmrQRE

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

New Episode

Built, Not Born

A distress call from the Android's friend, Victor, leads to answers about Two's past.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I liked SG1 but didn't realize there was still an active following. And really I don't see Dark Matter as another SG1, that is being floated by marketing to co-opt those fans. I will say they are doing a good job at using social media to build the Dark Matter fanbase as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Flashback showing 3 was always baller.

• Locked thread