Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

FishBowlRobot posted:

Keep those lying poo poo lips off my zona Danaaaaa :argh:

Good news if you're as desperate to gently caress a Reebok baseball cap as it appears: you can buy one on line and if you ask nicely a fighter would probably give you their 50 percent discount code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Good news if you're as desperate to gently caress a Reebok baseball cap as it appears: you can buy one on line and if you ask nicely a fighter would probably give you their 50 percent discount code

If Conor ever defends a belt I will gently caress a hat.

(Not a legit toxx don't hold me to this mods)

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Stand back everyone. I will gently caress the hat.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Triticum Guzzler posted:

it's 10% per hundred dollar purchase

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Noctone posted:

also not a step down the WWE road the UFC is veering towards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cXOMpj5RQ

Sorry, MMA has always been a clownshow

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Remember when pride still existed and everyone was like why do the UFC guys just fight each other why don't they dance to the ring for eight minutes before fighting a 280 lb fireman with one pro fight for the 170 lb belt.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/CubSwanson/status/892468551897931777

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Aldo literally says Holloway deserves the belt and Frankie deserves the next shot, and that he's going to work himself back into contention, so he calls out a similarly ranked contender, and Cub is whining about it?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Cub has a lot of braindamage

mewse
May 2, 2006

Quack

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

When Aldo was the champion and I was repeatedly losing fights, aldo didn't have the time of day for me. But now that he's not the champion and I'm winning fights, somehow it's a good match? Nice try aldo. I'm going to fight some more guys Conor McGregor knows, instead.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Very noble of Aldo to suggest Frankie for the title shot

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Almost like it benefits him for a man he beat twice to be the new champion.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Aldo, Frankie, and Holloway are all amazing fighters but Aldo's style is kryptonite for Frankie and Holloway is a tough matchup for Aldo. I guess we'll have to see how Frankie and Holloway match up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kensei posted:

UFC August: The Return of The King* Drug Tests Pending

This will do nicely. New thread tonight. New champs as well, I'm sure there are many people looking forward to Jones being in the list for the first time since November

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Novum posted:

Almost like it benefits him for a man he beat twice to be the new champion.

Well, he also happens to be right that Frankie deserves it more than anyone else.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Memento posted:

This will do nicely. New thread tonight. New champs as well, I'm sure there are many people looking forward to Jones being in the list for the first time since November

It will be a refreshing change compared to the usual line ups Jones is in.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Memento posted:

:):hf::)

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Work Friend Keven posted:

Remember when pride still existed and everyone was like why do the UFC guys just fight each other why don't they dance to the ring for eight minutes before fighting a 280 lb fireman with one pro fight for the 170 lb belt.

:airquote: production value :airquote:

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
didnt aldo already beat cub swanson

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

Yep, knocked him out with a flying knee in 8 seconds

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That's what I thought not sure why cubs bitching

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

Skip My Posts posted:

that was a pre-Lobov Cub so doesn't count

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Also, before Jose Aldo turned 30, instantly turning into dust in accordance with the Faustian bargain of all Brazilian fighters.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Where the August thread at?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Where the August thread at?

Probably with Ronda Rousey's fine rear end

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

1st AD posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cXOMpj5RQ

Sorry, MMA has always been a clownshow

Normally the correct vid to post is roidtech but actually this time, I think the biggest mma clown show is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxc8CPA0b8

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Byolante posted:

Normally the correct vid to post is roidtech but actually this time, I think the biggest mma clown show is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGxc8CPA0b8

I have never seen this fight and am kind of impressed that Alberto del Rio landed a strike, making him a more successful MMA fighter than CM Punk.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Aldo, Frankie, and Holloway are all amazing fighters but Aldo's style is kryptonite for Frankie and Holloway is a tough matchup for Aldo. I guess we'll have to see how Frankie and Holloway match up.

I'm not getting how it's Aldo's style that makes him bad for Frankie rather than 'he's better'. Their last fight bored me a lot so I refuse to do my own research.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Neurosis posted:

I'm not getting how it's Aldo's style that makes him bad for Frankie rather than 'he's better'. Their last fight bored me a lot so I refuse to do my own research.

individuals have a natural proclivity towards certain aspects of fighting and mostly work towards maximizing what they're good at while shoring up a defense against what they're not so good at. it then becomes a game of who gets to employee their 'a-game' with greater effectiveness. at the elite level, these differences can be minuscule but simultaneously significant.

that's how you get jose aldo beating frankie by only a single round on at least one score card in both fights meaning that frankie will now lose to yair, and people being absolutely gob smacked with how hilariously wrong a person can possibly be.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i understand what styles are. i don't understand how aldo in particular is a bad style matchup for frankie. i guess he's good at using movement to not expose himself while baiting people for counters, but i don't view it as being some very clear rock/scissors thing going on.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he shucks off frankie's take downs like it's nothing and his striking is rangy and powerful enough to gently caress frankie up when he comes in to work his combos that set up his best take downs. aldo is a tough match up for frankie. part of it is being better though you're right

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neurosis posted:

I sort of lean towards "he's better" for a lot of little reasons, especially how well he adjusted between the first and second fights and Frankie didn't, but he is a nightmare style matchup. they (and Holloway) are so far above the rest of their deep and talented division was more my point.

He's a bad style matchup because his tdd is so good Frankie can't threaten the takedown, which takes away a lot of his tools, and Frankie doesn't have the footwork to cut him off. The second fight was dull because Aldo spent the whole fight pivoting away and Frankie couldn't do anything about it

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bold prediction: Aldo will adapt to Holloway's feints and win their inevitable rematch

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Some more Conor tats here:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXO8IljFGpv

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Neurosis posted:

Style chat lets people rationalize their pet fighters losing.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Trast posted:

It will be a refreshing change compared to the usual line ups Jones is in.

Lines of cocaine

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
if frankie beats up holloway are y'all going to be wondering how frankie became way better than aldo since their last fight or are you going to start thinking about how styles might have something to do with the outcome of a mixed martial arts contest?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
no one claimed styles don't have an effect. i just questioned the assertion the reason aldo owned frankie is stylistic, when i'm not really seeing some obvious style mismatch. if you think i'm wrong, i'd love to see a breakdown of why aldo is a nightmare style matchup, as you very well may be noticing things i'm missing which i would like to hear about (especially since i've never trained striking and have only a spectator's understanding of it)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
New thread is up! Go here for all of your August UFC discussion needs.

• Locked thread