Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Southern Heel posted:

OK so I'm going to go for a controversial opinion here and say that lessons MAY NOT be the answer. I've gone through many teachers, finally sticking with one for about a 18mo or so - I ended up playing how he played. I don't think this was a conscious decision on his part, but just the natural way in which he teaches what he values/etc. It was hard enough finding someone competent at all as an intermediate (you would be surprised at how few 'guitar teachers' actually know their poo poo - as someone very intermediate I sat down with a guy who said that he had nothing to teach me after mashing through a few barre-chord songs!), so the pickings were slim already.

I found a guy who came from a black metal background in the 80's and has since been teaching for 10+ years. He's ultimately following a curriculum and honestly was very enthusiastic, kept lesson notes and plans and generally was excellent. I've kept all my lesson notes for the last 9mo or so, here's the first chunk of those from that period: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17TjJ8rI_W4uHNC0BKpyAYl6mYyjHTrnVtnqQx0p0_Ag/edit?usp=sharing

We spent alot of time just running drills of varying degrees of difficulty (scales, modes, chords, rhythm) and then applying that to solos - but spent very little time doing all those things you say that your guitar teacher shouldn't teach you - how to do a particular solo or song. The result was that I have many tools in my arsenal, but have no sense of how or when to use them - and as such they sit mostly unused. When am I ever going to prefer playing an SATB voicing with a 3rd in the bass of a chord on the four middle strings? Never. When am I going to specifically need to jazz count, as opposed to regular count a song? Never. When am I going to need to do three octave diatonic speed scales? Never.

I guess what I'm saying is that i didn't know what I wanted, and as such just took a teacher with no real goal and as such got less value than 'I want to play like Van Halen' would have done on my own.

Thank you so much for the insight! I definitely think I kind of have a weird idea of what I want to be as a guitarist, and I'll keep that in mind. In other news, somebody got a surprise belated birthday present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Kinda crazy these are both the same color.

I'd have kept the green.

Come at me bro.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

baka kaba posted:

Oh all right, that's what I'd have expected. I thought you meant the rust had just wiped off

I don't mind the relic stuff, worn guitars look good but I'd want it to be actual wear, not like painted-on distressed effects

The way Gibson pitch VOS is that it has the patina of a vintage instrument that has been well looked after, and I guess that's true. It's much more subtle than road worn or relic, it's just not a factor for me in why I got it, I don't really mind either way though really. The finish is thinner than normal and not buffed to a glossy shine, and I do actually quite like that.

The only thing I actively dislike about it is the brown gloop they paint the pickups and bridge with, it comes off really easily and feels pointless / designed to be kept intact by never playing the thing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe that's vintage gloop scraped directly off the old factory floor? You can't buy tone like that!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

...and the pitch! posted:

I'd have kept the green.

Come at me bro.

They're close, but I definitely like the blue more. Plus it's closer to how the color should look, which sits better with my OCD self.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

They're close, but I definitely like the blue more. Plus it's closer to how the color should look, which sits better with my OCD self.

Oh yeah. It's 100% preference. They're both purty, that's the good news.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I get that vintage look by buying used. Don't hate.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm wearing a nice wood coloured bit in the stain of my black S series due to atrocious picking technique

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

peter gabriel posted:

The only thing I actively dislike about it is the brown gloop they paint the pickups and bridge with, it comes off really easily and feels pointless / designed to be kept intact by never playing the thing.

I know which answer I'm picking.

Just pulled the trigger on a Talman, white on white with a rosewood fingerboard. Saved $50 by getting a return that Musician's Friend claims is in mint condition. Figures I'd go Tele shopping and end up with an Ibanez instead, but it seems like exactly what I wanted and I love the look of the thing.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

magnificent7 posted:

I get that vintage look by buying used. Don't hate.

You often see 63' 355"s going, do you? 😁

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

baka kaba posted:

Maybe that's vintage gloop scraped directly off the old factory floor? You can't buy tone like that!

I'm slathering my amp in left over coffee, will report back

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

peter gabriel posted:

I'm slathering my amp in left over coffee, will report back

"the sound of this amp is a real wake-up call!"

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If it's not certified Moroccan tone coffee it won't do anything but make a mess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yirgacheffe's bright acidic notes lend a shimmery quality to chords, while keeping the low end strong and defined. We recommend a city roast for standard tuning - obviously downtuned guitars require a darker roast to reach their full potential

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

you joke but a light (for espresso) roasted yirgacheffe espresso was one of the best things i ever drank

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

you joke but a light (for espresso) roasted yirgacheffe espresso was one of the best things i ever drank

Starbucks regularly has Yirgacheffe as their single origin pourovers if you really want it, it's quite good too.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Bazanga posted:

Mi amigos,

How do I get this tone at 1:27:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhVYVue3vk&t=84s

I nearly shat my pants when I heard it for the first time. Is it just insane amounts of power tube distortion? I know there is a bass in there playing the same parts, but the bass is obviously distorted as hell too. Both just feel super tight, yet brutally heavy and fuzzy. Whenever I try getting fuzzy tones I end up with too much sloppiness and looseness.

Just a shoutout to some god drat sweet tone. In my parent's basement I was running a Black Arts Toneworks Destroyer into a Peavey JSX + Avatar 2x12, OR a Hartke 500w bass amp + 1x15 cab. Using a modified first-gen PRS Santana SE strung with 12s and tuned to C standard. The heaviest loving thing in the world.

Now I'm in a condo with a practice amp and one guitar. 'I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and turn into a bluesdad

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Southern Heel posted:

You often see 63' 355"s going, do you? 😁

Yeah. There are 80s reissues and 90s reissues, 2000 reissues.

I've got a beat to hell 97 ES 135, marked down because it was beat up. Gibson calls it relicd now.

So, whether you buy a 2017 relicd reissue of the 63 355 for 3000, or you buy a 1997 reissue with authentic rust and scratches for $1200, they play about the same, compared to a real 63.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Anime Reference posted:

I know which answer I'm picking.

Just pulled the trigger on a Talman, white on white with a rosewood fingerboard. Saved $50 by getting a return that Musician's Friend claims is in mint condition. Figures I'd go Tele shopping and end up with an Ibanez instead, but it seems like exactly what I wanted and I love the look of the thing.
Hey Talman bro, just posting to wish you well in your purchase. I've had issues with Indonesian Ibanezes before, but my Talman came in 100% tight as hell.
And the ridiculously expensive Strat I just bought was an online return. After *much* inspection I finally found some light scratches on the front and some screwdriver dents near one of the corner screws on the backplate. I don't think I can do anything about those little dents on the back, but the light scratches on the front buffed out with one of the automotive swirl-mark removal polishing compounds I keep on hand so it's drat close to pristine again.
Buying guitars online is risky, but as long as you've got a good return policy you're set, as long as you don't mind the exchange process if you get a lemon.

Fingers crossed for your Talman. I hope it's great right out of the box. The stock pickups sound quite good, too. They're obviously wound for people who want a fuller, deeper tone than the stock Tele sound, so your mileage may vary.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Lynch vids
Nice, thanks buddy!

Quite A Tool posted:

You said you got a Focusrite Scarlett for this, right? How do you like it? I've been looking at doing something similar but the world of interfaces is super confusing. Some people say the Scarlett is fine and others say it sounds horrible.

The 2i4 sounds great and was 100% plug and play with my 6 year old iMac. You could a/b and nitpick for hours but honestly they're great interfaces. Do what I did and look around for an open box deal. I grabbed the 2i4 in mint condition with all the box goodies for $50 from Unique Squared on Reverb. They should still have stock.

Professor Science posted:

where the samples at, lil buddy

https://youtu.be/TLep9dbaGHE

This isn't the best example of the pure tone by any means since it's a droning ambient piece but yeah. I just uploaded it tonight for the ambient guitar contest.

In related news hey that's my first thing on YouTube! Once I grab a tripod I'll further doom my channel by way of including my dumb goon body.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

peter gabriel posted:

The downside is they use this odd gunk poo poo to give the hardware a fake a patina, it's not the end of the world as it's pretty much all come off mine cos I play the thing but it's something to keep in mind.

Dear Gibson,

I regret to inform you that after playing my VOS ES-335 I found a glaring flaw in this instrument and will be returning post-haste. Upon playing said guitar for a few months, I found that it actually looked LESS played than when it originally came out of the box. This is an egregious offense to myself and any other esteemed VINTAGE ORIGINAL SPEC owners, and it disturbs me that you would ship a product with subpar relic goop that can't hold up to the occasional bluesjam.

Disgusted,
Bluesdad, DDS

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just don't get the relic-ing thing at all. If you're embarrassed by the newness of your guitar, play the drat thing. I usually ding my instruments pretty well, I've got ukuleles I've dinged, beaten up acoustic guitars, and I've got a g&l tribute sb-2 that JUST BY USE is exposing the less than brilliant gloss white job and the red undercoat is beginning to show up. I love that. When I get the epi sg, I will be dinging the gently caress out of that too, as nature intended. Fake rust? How pathetic can you get.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Being intentionally neglectful or rough with something I paid at least several hundred dollars for doesn't make any sense. Spending even more money to make it look shittier/older than it really is completely baffles me.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just use and maintain mine, at first I got a bit worried cos the 335 wasn't cheap but gently caress it, the next owner of it will be my son when I'm dead anyway :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don't completely hate relics. I think they're usually dumb but I can understand loving the feel of a "well used" instrument. But you know you could just... use it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't completely hate relics. I think they're usually dumb but I can understand loving the feel of a "well used" instrument. But you know you could just... use it.

It's also unique to nitro finishes which a lot of people miss. I've had a guitar with a poly finish for 20 years and it was my main gigging guitar when I was angry at the world and that loving thing is still perfect even though I put it through hell. Wearing a poly finish naturally you'd have to have sweat like the Alien or something

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

It's just a matter of time until somebody comes up with a service where a client can pay a professional musician to take the client's guitar of choice on tour with them, so the client can get the Authentic Relic Experience™ for his/her guitar.
(It will, of course, be wildly expensive and later revealed to be a complete hoax, with the actual relic-ing happening in some luthier's shop or a factory in Indonesia.)
TRU-RELIC™. Now give me my million internet dollars.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If that person would find me a band and book a tour I would happily relic the poo poo out of anything.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I want to relic someones Mclaren F1

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

peter gabriel posted:

I want to relic someones Mclaren F1

You say this as a joke but a rustbucket supercar would be some Road Warrior poo poo and totally awesome.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

peter gabriel posted:

It's also unique to nitro finishes which a lot of people miss. I've had a guitar with a poly finish for 20 years and it was my main gigging guitar when I was angry at the world and that loving thing is still perfect even though I put it through hell. Wearing a poly finish naturally you'd have to have sweat like the Alien or something

I can't say I completely get relicing. But I can understand the idea and desire behind it. Wanting a guitar that looks worn in similar ways to your heroes. Or a the well worn or broken in feel. Or an instrument that has a story or "mojo" behind it. I often think to myself it would be cool to own a guitar like that. So it doesn't seem like too much of a stretch to make brand new instruments replicating these desirable qualities, when done by a professional, who has the skill and knowledge to do it correctly. I doubt I will ever own either the naturally broken in guitar or or a custom shop one. But I can see the draw to it. I also see the draw the guitars that have that kind of old look made of reclaimed or worn wood.

What I don't get is abusing an instrument by denting it or throwing it in a snow bank overnight (what the gently caress? Is that a real story?). I definitely don't care for when someone tries to "relic" their guitar with a sander in their basement, it almost universally looks like poo poo. But at the same time, maybe that sort of thing is desirable in some music circles. Kurt Cobain, and I am sure many other famous musicians, loved to abuse his guitars and I am sure there are others who want to emulate him.

I also think this board has more of an appreciation of at least some elements of relicing than we care to admit. Someone who posts regularly here (sorry can't remember who) lit his Tele on fire, cleaned/fixed it up a bit, and still plays it at shows. He posted it here and got a love of extremely positive posts in response. Don't think a single person said something like "why did you gently caress up a perfectly good guitar" at least not in a dismissive, derogatory way.

That said, "just play more" seems pretty obtuse. Your example is obviously better, but I had a similar example of my strat I have owned for a over 10 years with plenty of use and the only reason you would think its even a few years old is the somewhat worn frets and a fret board that could use a cleaning. Never knew that only nitro finishes age like that. Now that I think about it, I am a little surprised there aren't guitars with thin finishes marketed as being easy to relic just by playing.

betterinsodapop posted:

It's just a matter of time until somebody comes up with a service where a client can pay a professional musician to take the client's guitar of choice on tour with them, so the client can get the Authentic Relic Experience™ for his/her guitar.
(It will, of course, be wildly expensive and later revealed to be a complete hoax, with the actual relic-ing happening in some luthier's shop or a factory in Indonesia.)
TRU-RELIC™. Now give me my million internet dollars.

I saw an interview with Joe Bonamassa's guitar tech, backstage, showing off all his guitars. People send him guitars all the time. Half the 10 or so LPs he had with him were sent to him by fans. He said they don't accept gifts, so they only "borrow" them. But he clearly plays them on tour. So I guess this service already exists for the cost of shipping and the price of owning a high end 50 year old guitar he might actually want to play.

Also:

Dewgy posted:

You say this as a joke but a rustbucket supercar would be some Road Warrior poo poo and totally awesome.

There is just something about old, heavily used stuff that makes it awesome. Especially in the "this thing has seen some poo poo sense"

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 2, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Having a guitar that only LOOKs like you've been playing it for years seems extremely silly to me. Without the stories and memories to accompany the wear, what's the point?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gripen5 posted:

What I don't get is abusing an instrument by denting it or throwing it in a snow bank overnight (what the gently caress? Is that a real story?).

Temperature changes are the easiest way to get 'checking' on a nitro guitar, so people put them in freezers then in from of a fire, spray them with canned air, all kinds of things.
It's beyond me but it's absolutely something that is pretty common.

If I think of relicing as the same as rat rods then I am pretty cool with it, I still don't really get it though

Spatulater bro! posted:

Having a guitar that only LOOKs like you've been playing it for years seems extremely silly to me. Without the stories and memories to accompany the wear, what's the point?

This and the whole Chibson thing are similar, what do you do when someone asks? Lie? Shuffle your feet and spill the beans? I do not know.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spatulater bro! posted:

Because our society values the end, not the journey, and the the less effort your can spend getting there the better. :smith:

WANT MORE INSIGHTS? SUBSCRIBE TO MY NEWSLETTER TO LEARN THE ONE WIERD TRICK FOR SELF FULFILLMENT THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW!!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I don't really care about pretending a guitar has a life story or anything (which is also cool), wear and patinaed metal and the like is an aesthetic in the same way pristine finishes and clean wood and perfect chrome is. It can just look neat

Personally the only playing wear I've got on my instruments (apart from a missing chunk of paint from a straplock incident) is some slightly discoloured plastic and a few small dents. If you're faking that then I don't really see the point, but I guess that's sort of a vintage aesthetic? I just like when they look a bit hosed up, or like they've been reclaimed from the sea

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah I mean this:

Is amazing, I love it. But would I buy this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_rory_gallagher_relic_strat.htm

Nope

I suppose that's what it comes down to for me.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Spatulater bro! posted:

Old guitars look cool and people already pay big money for extremely dumb finishes featuring their waifu or whatever so I don't really feel like it's much different aesthetically. Of course it's silly, but pretty much everything about music is silly at some level and sometimes you've just gotta shrug and move on.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

It's a 1963 reissue, it's an odd guitar.
It's not the ones you usually find online as it is custom shop with the MHS pickups and it's also the VOS version, I'll sort of explain this poo poo as shortly as I can. The ones online are pretty much the same but come with burstbuckers / no VOS / none period parts.

The VOS is 'Vintage Original Spec' and it's not something I really wanted. VOS has up and downsides, the upside is it feels like a well maintained old guitar right out of the box. It really does too, feels extremely nice.
The downside is they use this odd gunk poo poo to give the hardware a fake a patina, it's not the end of the world as it's pretty much all come off mine cos I play the thing but it's something to keep in mind. They go as far as putting fake rust on the screws and poo poo, all this has come off thankfully. I get the feeling it's for the proper bluesdads who pamper their stuff, not for a poo poo kicker like me.

It's very accurate as a reissue though, so loads of neat touches like hot hide glue construction, aluminium stop piece, nylon saddles and nut - They really have gone all the way making it as accurate as they can. Even the case is correct, yellow lining. Even the caps and poo poo are period correct, but that's stuff I give zero fucks about.

It's maple / poplar ply with spruce bracing and mahogany neck.

The finish is Antique Natural and is really nice, and that's what made me get it eventually - it's a nice change from cherry / sunbursts that you see a lot of.

It's the only guitar I haven't changed anything on as well, and I won't because they nailed it I feel. The MHS pickups are scatter wound so no two are the same - just like back in the day. Plugged into my amp I can go from jazzy smooth to harsh overdrive with no peddles. It has more sounds in it than anything else I own, by a long way.

I can't praise it highly enough to be honest. It's my main guitar and I play every gig with it and it never misses a beat. Action is low, build quality is perfect but more than that it's just good to play and make work. They are meant to be played and are solid as gently caress.

Here's a couple of pics!

I've tried everything I can out there that is like a 335 but nothing is really the same, unless you spend big money. I've tried the cheaper routes and while some were great guitars, they were no 335.

Hello sir, thank you for taking the time to write this out. Do you have a LP to compare it to? From what I can see the VOS / Historic RI's go for huge amounts. My trip the local guitar mecca was caught short today so I have avoided succumbing to GAS in the interim. I'm just not sure if I shouldn't make a stand about not getting any 'new' gear and just sticking with my kick-rear end LP and kick-rear end amp!!!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

As expensive as those stupid Custom Shop Relics are, why not just by an actual old hosed up guitar?
I've seen them out there, around the same (ludicrous) $2k+ prices at places here in NYC (Ludlow Guitars, Rivington Guitars, Main Drag, etc.)

edit: examples of some of the poo poo at Rivington: https://rivingtonguitars.com/collections/electric-solid-body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

peter gabriel posted:

Temperature changes are the easiest way to get 'checking' on a nitro guitar, so people put them in freezers then in from of a fire, spray them with canned air, all kinds of things.
It's beyond me but it's absolutely something that is pretty common.

If I think of relicing as the same as rat rods then I am pretty cool with it, I still don't really get it though

This and the whole Chibson thing are similar, what do you do when someone asks? Lie? Shuffle your feet and spill the beans? I do not know.

Looking at some pictures, checking seems like a pretty meh aesthetic. Guess its more of a "sat in someone's attic for years" rather than "was someone's main guitar for years"

Can't say I ever met someone who bought a Chibson, but I would like to think they own up to it immediately with out any hesitation or sense of deception. "Yeah, I love the look of a Gibson, but gently caress paying $1500 bucks for it." or "Yeah, can only get one like this through the custom shop for over $3000. Not really something I can afford anytime soon. Don't know why they don't have a low end or Epiphone version."

I sort of experienced some of this while looking for a DC LP special with two p90s. Good copies and used are few and far between. And the used ones that are around seem to only be in TV yellow. Not a fan. I considered for at least a little while of just going the Chibon route. But I don't like the idea of encouraging the business of counter-fitting. I will just get the right guitar when I find it and have the means for it.

I would guess similar guitars might be Firebirds of various types, 3 pickup SGs, SGs with p90s, and super obscure stuff like that weird Tele/Gretsch hybrid that Bono and the guitarist from Red Hot Chili Pepper have. But at the same time I would also like to think that type of person would order it without the Gibson logo and the "Made in the USA" on the headstock, and would definitely never try to sell it or present it as something it is not.

Ultimately, even without the logo, its still a copyright infringement and probably shouldn't be encouraged.