Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Isiah Incipio - Gaol's Tent

Isiah addressed his new troops before leading them out: "We are going out hunting Gigagants. Many of you have fought them before. Those of you new to this company should ask your more experienced brethren how best to survive in this upcoming fight. Do your best to avoid their leader. Most weapons harm it but little. I will deal with the leader as soon as I can reach it. Some of you will die. The rest of us will be gloriously wealthy and sing your praises as we raise a toast to your memory." Isiah loved mercenaries. They were so much simpler than patriots. They knew exactly what they were fighting for. Gold and plenty of it plus the chance to hurt something.

Isiah had discussed the Black Company's last encounter with the Gigants with White Beard. They'd been fought in a cave close to a caravan route. It was likely they would still be nearby and one of the caves was perfect for ambushing a caravan that had left yesterday. The Black Company would be able to catch up to a slow caravan burdened by trade goods. Isiah would find someplace close to the site of the likely ambush on the caravan and prepare to counter-ambush the Gigants when they attacked. Hopefully the Gigants would be so busy butchering the caravan guards and merchants that they would not be able to turn to face the Black Company. Isiah idly caressed the bone hilt of his necromantic sword as he contemplated the carnage to come.

Head out and setup an ambush for the Gigants
Warrior Prince +4 for strategizing
Black Company Captain +2 for picking out a good ambush site

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Hakon and Daor - Orphange
FP: 3

The Eye opened. Hakon could feel it's re-awakening fill him with contentment and power. Through various means Hakon received information about the types of spellcasters in this world.
Magi/Mages/Wizards: Multiple years of study and apprenticeship. The multitool of magic users. As they rise in skill and study they can specialize in different magical schools. They are more limited in sustained use of their abilities but ultimately can cast the most powerful spells.
Sorcerers: Instead of studying, their claim to power is more innate and have natural understanding of magic. While it takes them less time to come into their abilities and they can perform more magical works, High Magical workings often eludes them.
Warlocks: These casters include blood magic, runic magic, and magical ability derived from a source of power. These sources are heavily guarded or kept secret. Whether it is derived from a leyline, font of power, a binding pact with supernatural beings, or the blood of innocent sacrifice a warlock is sheer POWER. The magic they have mastered is usually hard earned and guarded jealously due to its price.
Talents: Talents are people born with a single ability or a few abilities. This can be something minor like the ability to light a candle without a spell. It just works. Multiple repeated uses of a talent can exhaust the user. Major Talents are extremely rare and can include summoning major elementals, creating almost impregnable protective magical shielding, or teleportation.

There were candidates for each type.

The eye is charged!

Amerigo Hieronymus Location: Merchant Caravan
1 FP

The leader looked relieved you would stay on. "They pay us taxes and most laws are similar if not the same. The government is different there. It's run by Baron Remosur and his knights. It's a lot less strict than the capitol. Which may or may not be a good thing." He says eyeing the dead bandits.

Silth - Host/Alfie - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Alfie followed the priest into the alley. As the man bent over his skooma and inhaled deeply. He sighed. Relieved. Then stiffened. He turned and looked at Silth. "I SEE YOU BEAST I SEE YOU SEE YOU SEE YOU!" His eyes rolled wildly. Silth stuck him quickly and began the melding. What had the flesh husk meant? Silth would have time to reflect on this later.

Silth-Priest.

Ksenija Ceranic - Caravans

Ksenija got her things from the inn and collected the tools needed for her journey. She arrived and there were a couple caravans available. A small hunter caravan that would be hunting mushroom-fungus men and another that was a north bound trade group. They would be heading north and stopping at towns along the way until they hit the border.

Ksenija is at caravan central. For caravans.

Riley - Near the Pink Dancing Bear Inn

Riley ends up in a merchant area. A sign proclaims the Pink Dancing Bear(under construction) as she enters the area. A closed blacksmiths shop is covered in hateful graffiti but utterly deserted. As Riley inspects the rear of the shop, she finds a loose board that could let her inside. Handy to know! She goes back out and starts casing the area. A few of the jewelry and weapons merchants ply their wares. Decent targets, decent gains. A few clothing merchants also aren't looking. Many marks for a young pair of hands.

A hideout. Choice between jewels, weapons, or clothing.

Emilio Ughi - The Merc Area
Flaw Points: 2

The more power hungry were the mage types, however they might be harder targets for a deal and the details. The least likely were the fighters but a deal could be struck if there were any rivalries in the company. It was really up to Emilio to pick a group to interact with more deeply. He didn't have much time before these companies were hired by someone else!

edit: book is recharged!

Patak - The Wilds | FP 5

The beast continued to eat. It grunted and then picked up another spit. It sniffed again and paused. Patak held his breath. He let it out again when it resumed eating. Studying the angle of attack and seeing the right moment, Patak was as ready as he could ever be.

You gain a free upshift to attack this one enemy in this one scene.

Abdul the Unbound - The Tinker's Shop | Promises: 0| FP: 4

Abdul followed the tinker. The man chatting amicably about the weather and other harmless chatter. As they came to a stop, the tinker fumbled with his keys as he opened the door. "Come in, come in." He said eagerly as he gestured for Abdul to enter. It was dark inside. "Well come on, what are you waiting for?"

The Tinker takes you to his workshop. Do you enter? Y/N?

Isiah Incipio - The Wilds
&

Nikita - The Wilds

Setting out immediately, the Black Legion deployed to complete their mission. The first week went by uneventfully. However in the second week one of the advanced scouts disappeared while exploring one of the valleys to the west of the legions forward base. The leader of the scouts reported to Nikita and Isiah in the command tent. "Sirs! Scout Jenkins is several hours late returning from his patrol. He's one of our best, so it's not like him to not signal us with a flare if he ran into trouble. What are your orders?"

You can now both collaborate or attack the problem individually from different angles. Or, ignore it and continue on.

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 2, 2017

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
would do well with a more
humanoid model, myself
Patak - Kursed Giant’s Camp, The Wilds | FP 5

The mighty warrior steeled himself for the battle ahead. The creature was sitting, its back was braced against a boulder. When it stooped down to take a bite of its gruesome meal it exposed the base of its skull. With luck, if he planted the spear true, if the beast jerked its head from the strike it would push the spear it all the way with its own helmet.

Patak timed his bounds with the sickening smacks of the giant’s lips and the crunching and grinding of its teeth. He would gather his speed and leap up the boulder, leap to the gap at the creature’s neck and plant his spear. He felt the banner begin to glow as he approached the creature. It had been long since he said the name of one of his gods with anything but contempt yet he might honor Mogh’s father should he survive this battle. He had been the Sun god, after all. Opponent of undead and darkness.

Patak found his footing true on the boulder, and leapt forth to visit terrible vengeance upon his foe.

I discussed having an aspect of the Sun God involved in the banner with IAC some turns ago before this Kursed business began. My action is to try and spear this sentivore in the brain stem. More exactly, to imbue my weapon with anti-undead war magic to pierce this Kursed skin and allow its reaction to push the temporarily-supercharged spear into its brain stem.

Warlord +6 For the martial skill and prowess.

War God’s Banner +2 for an anti-undead debuff for Kursed and/or go fight go buff for me.

Scene Specific Upshift +2 for the serendipitous timing and luck this plan requires.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah was just telling Nikita how pleased he was to have a fellow stranger to talk with in this strange land when Scout Leader Leroy entered with his dismaying news.

"We find out what happened to him, of course. Jenkins was supposed to be out looking for Gigants. Maybe he found them. Let the rest of the scouts know we're changing direction and to work in teams from now. Assign a pair to assist me in tracking Jenkins."

As Leroy left their command tent, Isiah called in Avram, his executive officer for the company of mercenaries. "Avram, get the men ready to move. Scout Jenkins has gone missing, and I intend to find out what happened to him before it happens to us too. I'll be tracking Jenkins myself. Keep the company close, but don't let yourself stumble into an ambush."

Isiah followed Avram out of the tent and marched to Jenkins tent. The werewolf mercenary captain smelled the scouts clothes thoroughly so he could be sure he'd recognize it then, assisted by a pair of scouts, went sniffing after Jenkins trail.

Find out what happened to Jenkins
Werewolf +2 to track with superior wolf senses, especially smell
Black Company Captain +2 to have scouts assist with tracking

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

quote:

Ksenija got her things from the inn and collected the tools needed for her journey. She arrived and there were a couple caravans available. A small hunter caravan that would be hunting mushroom-fungus men and another that was a north bound trade group. They would be heading north and stopping at towns along the way until they hit the border.

Ksenija is at caravan central. For caravans.

Ksenija isn't much for killing, never any good at it, and no taste for violence either. That puts the mushroom hunters right out of it. Instead, she moves towards the north bound trade group in careful bursts, still wrapped in darkness. She starts listening in on their conversations, it's good to know who you're traveling with.

Ksenija will use her Sneaking Suit (+4) and Streetwise (+2) ways to sneak up on the northbound trade group to listen to them talk among themselves, with a special ear towards figuring out who the group leaders are, and if she can find any advantages that might help negotiate a decent price.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 2, 2017

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - The Wilds

"Give me a bit of time. I can concoct something to aid you. Twenty minutes at the most, I should think." He glanced over to his own second in command. "Freda. My pack, if you please."

This was a foreign land, and many of the plants were strange to him. And down in the depths as they were, most of it was lichens and fungi. Nevertheless he had had time to experiment a bit, and he was fairly certain he could brew up something to expand Isiah's senses. Once Freda had fetched his kit, he dismissed her and pulled out a mortar and pestle and the reagents he would need. He set a pot of water to boil outside and got busy grinding the samples into a fine powder, ignoring the aches running up and down the length of his arms. The wind spirits had proven surprisingly lenient, demanding only blood. Quite a lot of it. But so far as payment went he would not argue the point.

Putting aside the powder, he cast a handful of sickly green insects into the boiling water and stirred it vigorously. The water itself soon took on the same sickly green glow, and Nikita quickly poured the powder into it and continued stirring. Once he was satisfied, he pulled the pot off the fire and found the captain.

"Drink this. I know it smells foul, and I can promise you it will taste no better. But it should aid you in your search. I'll maintain things alongside Avram until you return. Unless you have a better idea what my troops and I can be doing?" It was not accusatory or defensive. Just a man deferring to a more knowledgeable one.

Witch +2 to brew up a potion to improve Isiah's already keen werewolf senses. Warning: May cause dizziness, excessive irritability and auditory/visual hallucinations. Alcohol is known to exacerbate these effects. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct or artificial sunlight while under the effects of this potion. Do not take this potion if you are pregnant or may become pregnant. Ask an apothecary before use if you have heart, liver or kidney disease.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 2, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

There were so many options, he wasn't sure what to do. Trying to narrow down the options, Hakon inquired which class of magic user would be best for the purposes of enhancing his thralls, and was told a wizard of the Enchantment school. So, selecting the wizard from that school, Hakon arranged to gather as much information as he could while remaining completely clandestine. He had no idea exactly what approach would work best on wizards so he set out to learn all there was to learn about his target. His habits, his movements, any relevant detail on his personality, his abilities, if there was a relevant fact to help determine his best approach he would sniff it out.

He had his full array of resources out there, his orphan spies rotated to ensure that he would never see each orphan more than once. At the same time, Hakon would do a little reconnaissance of his own, as well as having Daor investigate the abilities of this type of wizard generally. Hakon wanted to be certain, the chance to own such a powerful being intrigued him, and he was going to make sure it was done right.

Hakon is casing out the Enchantment Wizard trying to figure out the best way to get into a position to thrall him. Minor Spy Ring[+2] to have have his army of orphans spy on and tail him. Former Thief[+4] to clandestinely spy and scope out prominent locations and just generally learn as much about this guy as possible. Alpha and Omega Servant[+2] to send Daor out to study up on the ability of strong enchantment wizards generally. Hakon is also going to extreme lengths like rotating the orphans to make sure it's not even possible for for the wizard to spot the same orphan twice and realize he's being spotted. He's making extra certain he won't get spotted.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Priest - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Priest almost casually shoved the corpse of Alfie into a nearby garbage pile, letting the frail, almost wispy body slump into the refuse. He tidied himself up, sniffled as he wiped his nose. He had a 'cold', after all.

Turning, Host/Priest re-entered the Church, making all the usual and necessary gestures and platitudes to any colleagues who might glare. Though Silth was ever alert for signs that they, too, could somehow see beyond flesh and into the substance lurking beneath. Or had the drug granted the mind a momentary insight into the nature of things? The Host/Priest's mind was sure to contain the answers, or at least, likely explanations.

Silth felt the Stone roll in its gullet, took something akin to comfort in the feeling of its presence. If it became necessary, if these Priests could somehow divine its nature, Silth was wholly prepared to kill every last witness in this cathedral. It could not afford discovery. The engram's memories would decide what happened next...

Silth is returning to mass and blending into the Priest's identity; performing mass, duties, etc. But during those moments where his mind could wander, Silth is using The Gleaning [+2] to do some internal 'self'-reflection on the meaning of the Priest's words. Drug? Prescience? Ability? Silth Must Know.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 3, 2017

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

1 FP

"When you mean 'less strict' do you mean we're going to be charged 'taxes' by every band of uniformed thugs we run across? Just my opinion, but either way, we have to press on and take our chances. You could risk losing everything if we go there, but you'll definitely lose everything if we stay." Amerigo thumbs open the Tactica, what information could it provide on the situation.

Using the [Tactical Transoceania +2] to divine the nature of the Baron and his underling's behavior. A general political analysis that hopefully may give me insight into what the hell is going on here. I'm not asking "Did he do it?!" so much as "Any rifts between him and his knights, and unusual developments in town lately?" etc

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 3, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Inside the Deserted Smithy, Into a dream of Slate-Iron City

It's got to be the jewelry. A piece of jewelry is still the best store of value most people could get their hands on.

But before she makes her lift, Riley uses the hideout first. She weighed the risks out in her head: take a chance sleeping unattended in the abandoned shop, or steal a trinket and make new friends. Deciding it's best to talk to Mindy before making another move, Riley hides in the most closeted spot she can find and dozes off.

This time, Riley brings Mindy into a dreamscape of a Slate-Iron City alley: dark, bleak, stinky and gross. Riley appears as she does in the waking world: disheveled and beaten.

"I need your help," Riley tells Mindy plainly and seriously. Riley tells Mindy as much as the other girl can handle: Riley's ability to dreamwalk, the place that she's from, her arrival at the prison fortress, their escape, and Riley's time in the streets.

"I have to get back home. I have friends waiting for me there. But I don't know how I got here, and I don't know how to get back. And I'm not safe here. Do you know who can help me? Or somewhere I can go? Not Lady Greybeard's orphanage. I've been there, and it's... not a good place right now."

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Choices, choices. Emilio rubbed his chin with a grin as he considered his options. The muscle seemed both the most boring and the least likely marks, so they were out. The hunters, well he could work with them, they lacked the resistance of the brutes and the wizardly guile of the magicians, but then again, they also lacked the latters' greed. And greed was something that Emilio knew well. It was a welcome breath of fresh air from the enigmatic and unreasonable nobility of this city. And more importantly, it was something he knew how to deal with and exploit. He flashed his gleaming teeth and fixed his hair as he approached the Fire Eyes.

There was negotiation to do.

Wizards it is! Social Chameleon [+2] and Merchant [+4] to do the whole mark-finding snooping under the guise of haggling that I didn't really have the time to do last time.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Abdul the Unbound - The Tinker’s Shop | Promises: None! | FP: 4

Though it was rather meaningless chatter, Abdul did enjoy his small talk with the dwarf that had found him. It was the first time since the golem had arrived in this new world that there had been the chance for any small talk at all, and the company was very much welcomed. Being mindful of the door (he was not so large as some other golems, but still a fair height nonetheless), Abdul followed after the Tinker into his shop.

OOC: > Enter.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

The great blow cleaved off a part of the top of the Kursed Giant's head. It fell over with a thunderous crash and lay still. The quiet that filled the crash was a stark contrast to the fast beating of Patak's heart.

Suddenly the Giant's hand swept out and slapped Patak away. The directionless strike only a glancing blow. Patak landed about 20 feet from where he had struck. Rolling with the force of the blow, he came to his feet easily and unharmed.

https://youtu.be/2CBmlXewMTY
:siren: Boss Engaged :siren:

The true giant rose, several meters in height and pointed a black undead finger at Patak. "Kill you!" It's fingerless gloves were studded in shards of darksteel and diamond. "Punch you to death! Meat on my breath!" It roared as it vomited out the contents of its dinner. "Uuuuugh. Holy magic. Tickles me wrong!" It spat. The smell was horrible but it charged anyway closing the distance deceptively fast for a creature of its size. It swung it's fist and Patak dove to the side. Quickly Patak struck the giant several blows but they glanced off of its armor. "Nice try puny!" It bellowed as it tried to grab Patak. The warrior evaded and struck again at the beast's arms. Patak stuck a borrowed knife into the elbow seam on the giants arm, carving the arm a deep and long blow at the seam. "Ooooow!" The creature yelled, the holy magic making the wound more than an irritation. The giant scowled and paced away from Patak, circling more wearily. "What is your name meat? I want to know before killing you."

You got a big fight on your hands. What's your next move?

&

Nikita - The Wilds

The potion given to Isiah did help as he followed Leeroy out after scout Jenkins. As the miles wore on, Isiah started to get an odd feeling. "Just over this ridge sir." The scout said. As Isiah topped the rise he looked down. Jenkins' body was at the bottom of the hill. As was Scout Leeroy and several other scouts.
"We can't let you get to the boss." The shapeshifter said. "Our guys back at the camp will take care of the rest of you." it said as it's mouth split into four parts and hissed hungrily.

Luckily for you, he didn't know you were a more than average human.

---Back at the camp---
Nikita waved goodbye to Isiah as he left, unknowing what was left with him back at the camp. As he passed the campfire he caught sight of some of the company regulars fighting. A knife fight! This wouldn't do. As a sergeant he had to break this up.

What a situation!

"Not enough guards. Not enough pay." said the female elf leader of the guards assigned to this caravan. "Dumb government contracts" spat another.
"Look, if you don't like it. Take it up with the six." A greasy looking dwarf said. "My government contact's brother suffered a mass of strokes due to a hex, the magi say. Nothing I can do about it, he's on paid leave taking care of it. I'm running this route with or without you." With that he left.

The two women complained more about cruel fate and government laxity about caravan security.

The leader of the guards(a private company on contract) wants more people for the long dangerous journey. The caravan master cares only about profit.

The enchantment wizard Hakon sought wasn't your normal wizard. He did things in ways that weren't normal but had really good results after multiple applications of his "treatments". He could enchant things, animals, people with a variety of effects. However it wound him down. Quite a bit. So the quality of work while almost archmage tier after working on it was great, his quantity was limited. A magi's mojo had limits even for someone was learned as he was.

He had vices though, and his daily schedule was as follows with slight time variations:
3:00 p.m. rise
3:05 Chivas Regal with the morning papers, Dunhills
3:45 cocaine
3:50 another glass of Chivas, Dunhill
4:05 first cup of coffee, Dunhill
4:15 cocaine
4:16 orange juice, Dunhill
4:30 cocaine
4:54 cocaine
5:05 cocaine
5:11 coffee, Dunhills
5:30 more ice in the Chivas
5:45 cocaine, etc., etc.
6:00 grass to take the edge off the day
7:05 Woody Creek Tavern for lunch-ale, two dearven margaritas, coleslaw, a taco salad, a double order of fried onion rings, carrot cake, ice cream, a bean fritter, Dunhills, another ale, cocaine, and for the carriage ride home, a snow cone (a glass of enchantedly flavored shredded ice over which is poured three or four jig­gers of Chivas)
9:00 starts snorting cocaine seriously
10:00 drops acid
11:00 Chartreuse, cocaine, grass
11:30 cocaine, etc, etc.
12:00 midnight, Wizard J. Thompson is ready to enchant.
12:05-6:00 a.m. Chartreuse, cocaine, grass, Chivas, coffee, ale, underclove cigarettes, grapefruit, Dunhills, orange juice, gin, continuous pornographic show by summoned elementals
6:00 the hot tub-champagne, Chocolate Bars, Alfredo pasta
8:00 Halcyon
8:20 sleep

Daor said you wouldn't even need to kidnap the wizard as he would be unconscious and unprotected until he woke again. The front door was unlocked and stray dogs were pissing in the stalagtite tower. However, Wizard J was the most creative artist at enchantment and magic in thus part of the world. So while the man was a hot mess, his habits seemed to fuel him rather than detract from his work.

He won't do skooma though. That's for real addicts!

Silth - Host/Priest - Minor Church of Darkness

Host/Priest sat in the mass and Silth suddenly felt...skooma. The body was saturated in it! Priests memories showed that he always "saw some poo poo" on skooma. Usually he dismissed it but Silth looked around the church and...alarm. There were other hosts here! Pink and smaller than Silth they resided at the base of the spine in most races. All except the few chaos orcs that appeared for service and left early. There weren't many. But they were all the same. Pink wriggling, small, beaked, and tentacled.

Holy shiit. Pisssss.

1 FP

It is written in the reports that:
The setup seemed simpler than the capital. There were several undercattle farms that provided meat for the Baron and his lands. They also exported lots of it to the rest of the kingdom. Every eldest son attends training at the capital with the enforcers and general army, then with the church of darkness to become a paladin of the order. The duke then assumes command of the knights, each of which lives on subdivisions of the duke's lands and protects their people. Usually a town guard consisting of farmers willing to earn extra pay and young men are put under a local Sherrod. Often a retired veteran of the knights. This was usually supplemented by mercenaries from time to time and strong farmhands out of work.

Loyalty wasn't as ingrained as in the capital as the enforcement of law was somewhat saner here. Due to taxes needing to be paid and harvests and livestock can't be taken care of with dead people or missing limbs. It's completely feudal and hereditary.

It is written in the reports that people are happy.
It is written in the reports there are no problems.
It is written in the reports if you find a problem see your local sheriff.
It is written If you don't see him he will find you and help solve the problem.
I SEE YOU I SEE YOU I SEE YOU I SEE YOU

Amerigo shuts the book just as a green light tried to reach out through the pages, through the very words themselves.

Try reading the necronomicon next.

Mindy started crying. "I don't want you to be hurt. You're my friend." The child didn't like that Riley was suffering. Wiping her eyes. She said, "Come over to my house. I'll feed you. I'll give you some clothes. Please Riley. I don't want you to hurt bad." She clasped your hands, eyes shining with tears.

Mindy's heart is going to break :(

After hours of negotiations the lead wizard blew out his white mustaches. "Phew. Mister you drive a hard bargain. We'll take you to the border in return you give us those wands we've been wanting. Delivery upon you getting there." He held out his hand. "Is it a deal?"

You don't have wands but the negotiations went that way. The leader didnt really leave you any room or words to make a play for his soul. But the trip is long and not everyone is a master wizard. You can do this with the book to settle on payment or get there and not pay them. You can always talk along the way.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7312/12189436984_ff7149b996_b.jpg
Abdul entered the room. It was dark. Oh no. The parts were everywhere.

Suddenly he was rushed by two figures. Another trap.

"Papa! Papa!" They cried. The two enchanted wooden golems hugged Abdul. The man walked into the room wiping tears from his eyes. The children ran and hugged the dwarf. "Papa Papa! Who is this? Like us? Like us?" They said excitedly.

"I don't know." The dwarf said. Happiness in his voice. "But now that we've found him. We know that the gods of light are real. He's a miracle. Just like you. You're not alone my children. You're not alone." They all hugged each other, saying nothing more. Waiting for Abdul to speak.

His children are made of wood.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak did not answer. Instead he capitalized on the creature turning its back to put some distance between them and scramble for higher ground. Grasping the sling from his bag and a stone to load within Patak made a judgement on the distance and silently invoked the hand symbol of the sun god.

It is the warlord’s intent that the stone will arc true into the monster’s exposed skull.

Not answering. My name does not matter. I am already dead. Victory is life. In Victory I shall reclaim my name.

I am going to hang back in the shadows and use the terrain and my smaller size to my advantage while I pick a sling and stone out of my bag of weapons and gear. The intent is akin to lobbing a holy mortar or RPG.

Warlord +6 to hurl a large rock via a sling to the Giant’s broken dome.

War God’s Banner +2 To bless the rock with an explosive abundance of Holy-Sun Magic.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon and Daor - Wizard's Place

This all seemed too easy. That was the thought Hakon was left with, but the prize was quite good and his spies hadn't spotted any opposition. Still, when Hakon made the approach he had Daor watch the door, and orphans in the area to watch for any other sort of traps. Even then, Hakon still moved with the utmost care, arranging things so that the first thing the wizard would see when he awoke would be the Eye glowing at full power. Once the process had begun and he was sure there were no traps or other interruptions, Hakon would would have Daor hold the man in place, and keep his eyes open. He had no idea how the wizard's magical talent would interact with the Eye, so he was going to take no chances. He would subject the wizard to the same treatment as Daor, and make him just as obsessively devoted as the orc. To have such a thrall endowed with magical ability, able to shape the bodies of his other thralls to his liking just as he already shaped their minds. Well Hakon absolutely must have him, and who knows perhaps a burning desire to please Hakon above all other things in the world might drive the wizard to new heights of inspiration.

Hakon's gonna try and deep-thrall(what he did to Daor) the wizard. Former Thief[+4] to spot any traps and get in position so the full power Eye of Davos[+2] is the first thing the wizard sees when he wakes up. Alpha and Omega Servant[+2] to keep an eye out while things are set up and help hold the wizard during the deep thralling process. Also, even though this is above +8 and won't technically count, but I'll add it because it seems flavor appropriate Minor Spy Ring[+2] to keep an eye on the general area. Hakon's trying to be ultra careful to avoid any sort of pitfall or trap.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

quote:

"Not enough guards. Not enough pay." said the female elf leader of the guards assigned to this caravan. "Dumb government contracts" spat another.

"Look, if you don't like it. Take it up with the six." A greasy looking dwarf said. "My government contact's brother suffered a mass of strokes due to a hex, the magi say. Nothing I can do about it, he's on paid leave taking care of it. I'm running this route with or without you." With that he left.

The two women complained more about cruel fate and government laxity about caravan security.

The leader of the guards(a private company on contract) wants more people for the long dangerous journey. The caravan master cares only about profit.

Well, well. Ksenija thinks. She's wearing an invisible grin as she thinks about how to play this. Cool and professional is today's decision. She walks up behind the head of the guards, still invisible. When she's about a foot behind her she stops and waits for people to look away. At the right moment she becomes visible again and clears her throat.

"You looking to hire any scouts?" She says as boredly as she possibly can.

Ksenija will use her Stealth Suit (+4) and Streetsmarts (+2) to make a good impression before she asks if they're looking to hire a scout.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - The Wilds

Nikita grit his teeth in anger and walked towards to two combatants. The pair weren't any of his, but with Isiah away, his was the final authority. And they were about to regret crossing that authority. Lucky for the pair that he had no ship or he'd keelhaul them. On the cusp of a battle, a breakdown in discipline was not remotely tolerable.

As the pair circled one another, feinting and jabbing, Nikita's muscled form suddenly loomed beside them.

"When you fools wake up, I expect a very, very good explanation for this."

He didn't wait for them to fully realize the change in the situation. Seizing their knife hands in an iron grip, he smashed one in the face with his forehead. The other he hauled into his knee, ramming it home into the man's solar plexus.

Nikita will use his Indomitable +2 strength to end this fight quickly and painfully, albeit nonlethally.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

"Thank you, Mindy; thank you!"

Riley hugs her friend tightly. So much has happened to her that sometimes Riley finds it easier to stuff her feelings deep inside, but some things like the kindness of kids still touches her. Seeing Mindy cry makes Riley cry, but they're happy tears. She stays this way for a good long dreamtime before wiping her face and getting serious again.

"Listen, though. If you're going to help me, we both need to be smart and careful. Someone came after me, brought me here. He's dead now, but I think the danger has followed me. We have to make sure neither of us gets hurt, okay?" It's a promise Riley intends to keep.

After leaving the dreamworld behind, Riley goes straight to meet Mindy. She ignores the marks at the merchant district for now. Something better has come along.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth - Host/Jeb - Minor Church of Darkness

Silth was... alarmed, to say the least. What was all this? These were not Silth; it was all wrong. Whatever they were, Silth could spare them no thought for the present. When it became necessary to determine the truth of them, then Silth would cross that bridge. Until such time, Silth had other matters to focus its attention on.

As Host/Preist, who had called himself "Jeb", sat in Mass, Silth was digging into the engram of the human that was Jeb. It had questions that needed answering:

What was the hierarchy of this Church? Who were his superiors, and who were their superiors? Silth needed targets, ever higher rungs on the ladder it was climbing.

What about this Holy Book? Could he access it? Who could? What did it contain?

The presence of furnaces was always forefront in Silth's mind. Did this Church contain any hot enough to consume a body? And speaking of fire, was the Priest Barracks flammable? Torching it may be useful in drawing out desired targets while eliminating evidence.

Did this lowly Priest have any understanding or personal knowledge of the Dark Cardinal? His whereabouts, his power, his nature?

If Silth could claim the Cardinal, it could have unfettered access to the Dark Crystal, the Dark Library, and a host of resources it might use against the City and the Six. If this Council were anything like any other Human power structure, Silth suspected there was already a clandestine struggle for control being fought. Fear of consequences and a desire to maintain their positions would likely restrict the lengths to which each might go, but Silth had no such restraints or qualms.

And in the midst of all this thought, Host/Jeb played his part, slid into his familiar role. Blending was vital; appearances were everything.

Let's Review. Silth is digging into the host's knowledge using The Gleaning [+2] for memory and Guile [+2] to make connections between independent data points that Jeb himself might not have noticed in life.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Aug 15, 2017

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Emilio smiled impeccably as always, shaking the wizard's hand in his own, "Haha, who wouldn't shake on such an excellent deal my man! My safe arrival to our destination in exchange for these wands you seek!"

Certainly, the merchant was a bit loathe to use the power of his book to make such a trivial payment, now that he knew it had limited reserves of power. But his situation was precarious, and the prospect of gambling with 'angry mob of snubbed mercenaries' as the grand prize did not particularly strike his fancy at this point in time.

Taking the deal! Wishmaster [+2] to give them the wands for my safe arrival in the destination, since Emilio is not feeling like gambling at the moment.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah's first reaction to the horrible change splitting open his "scout's" mouth was to shove the torch he carried right into the middle of the creature's rapidly widening four-part mouth. "Die traitor!" Though the shapeshifter was a horrible monster, still it was alive, and after a lifetime fighting with every living thing against the endless legions of the dead, Isiah still regarded all that lived as natural allies.

Trusting to the armor provided by the Black Legion, Isiah focused all his efforts on attacking with flame and the bone blade that practically leapt into his hand at the first hint of violence. The remnant of the slain archlich was always eager to shed blood.

Murder this thing with extreme prejudice
Warrior Prince +4 for warrioring
Black Company Captain +2 representing armor and equipment

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

The Tinker and his children looked at Abdul to speak, and yet the golem did not know what to say. What could one even say in a situation such as this? Abdul had seen many magical creations in his lifetime, and obviously was one himself, but this was different. For one thing, the Tinker was treating them as family. That should have pleased the golem, and it did. Yet there was something strange about that as well. It was not easy to animate life, at least in Abdul’s homeworld. So to go through such trouble for the sole purpose of crafting your own children was… peculiar. And intriguing. Very intriguing.

“A miracle, is it? Your words are appreciated, but I am hardly so special, for there are many of my kind where I come from.” Abdul pauses as he looks over the wooden golems. “These children of yours, were they made by your hand? You are an enchanter of some sort?”

OOC: Abdul being both interested and slightly bothered by this whole situation, and is quizzing the Tinker on the nature of his children and how he has them before making any decisions.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

1 FP

"Hmm, okay, and what's this...huh, I-" Amerigo is thinking to himself quietly as he slams the book shut as the pages emit green light. "Disregard, that was nothing. So, are we ready to proceed?" He has used the newfound high regard he had recently attained in the defense of the caravan by avoiding body burial detail, but they probably needed to get moving. Who knew what else lurked out here? Still he should be ready to run, somebody had obviously found him peeking.

Very concerned about what the heck just happened, but ready to proceed onwards anyways. Getting ready to circle the city and try to find an outbound caravan on the other side if needed. I'm not getting arrested again.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 5, 2017

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

"Arrrrgh!" The rock struck something vital in the giant's skull. "I can't see!" It shouted as it struck where it thought Patak was. It began striking wherever it thought Patak could be.

He's on the ropes. It's in defensive mode and can no longer hit you. End it!

Hakon's own greed and need to dominate and force the wizard to be like Daor hit him like a freight train when the process was complete. The hangover, drug shakes, the addictive needs of the wizard's body. While the wizard was made mentally to not feel it or even mind it, the transfer to Hakon at this distance was complete.

Even as the wizard was mentally chanting and thanking Hakon, Daor was cradling his master as Hakon passed out. When Hakon awoke some time later he was hit again with bodily cravings for drugs, aches, and anguish. Until the wizard detoxed or Hakon took some of the drugs he would feel these pangs of pain. Sensing what Hakon needed, the wizard offered him his stash.

The wizard is 210% yours. No diminished ability. Hakon however has gained Addiction [-2] which is in effect for skill (But not divine) based rolls.
It will go away in time if Hakon and the wizard stay clean but will affect rolls until it's cleared.
Or
Hakon can take drugs now and it will remove the effects of this immediately for a limited time. Repeat if needed.

Ksenija Ceranic - Wilds Camp

The leader of the caravan guards smiles. "I like a woman who's direct. I'm Maven and this is Talks. We can't afford to pay alot, but we will take care of food and a spot in one of our tents. We're one of the few all female merc bands still around, the Salamanders. We'd love to have ya." As Ksenija was shown around she met a few of the others. Comraderie was good and while guarded they welcomed Ksenija well enough.

The caravan was soon underway. A week or two into the wilds and the first troubles started. One of the drivers had made a pass at his guard while they were camped. Far from the fires and people, Ksenija stumbled upon it while patrolling the parameter. He pulled out a wicked looking sword and swung at her. "No one turns down Garth and lives!" The woman was Amy, a smallish scout. She only held a knife. "There must be alot of dead women then, because who could stand you." Amy mocked him. Ksenija could tell though Amy was scared. And vs that blade wouldn't last long.

Ksenija in stealth has come upon a situation. What do?

Nikita - The Wilds

The normal soldier went down, easily. The other's face contorted and rippled around Nikita's fist. It looked like a melted was figure. "Thanks for the help." It drooled and smiled nastily. "We can't let your men near the boss." Other sounds of confusion and fighting were beginning to occur in the camp out of sight. With a snarl, the shapeshifter attacks!

You are being attack!.

Riley - Outside Mindy's house

The estate of Mindy's merchant parents was modest. Like a cottage back home. Cozy. Warm lights illuminated the walk way and a few windows. The day was starting to end. A sign on the front door proclaimed: Doc Granby's and Mama Granby's ointments and natural cures. This was the place Mindy had visualized in her dreams.

[quote="Rhjamiz" post="475051934"]

The host's mind yielded the information:

What was the hierarchy of this Church?
Low: Lower-Priests, Inquisitors, Soldiers
Mid tier: Priests, Lead Inquisitors, Crusaders and knights
High tier: Cardinals, Grand Inquisitors, Paladins of the Crystal
Top: The Cardinal of the Church of darkness (Grand Cardinal)

Who were his superiors, and who were their superiors?
Silth was a priest who reports ultimately to Cardinal Thane.
Silth has three supervisors who out ranks his host with seniority acting as a buffer.

What about this Holy Book? Could he access it? Who could? What did it contain?
If Jeb was giving mass, he could access the book. All priests could gain access but it needed to be requested. Jeb hasn't read the whole book. But it contained the true history of the world, forbidden spells and rituals not to be tried under any circumstances, floor plans of many churches, and a geographical map of the world

Did this Church contain any hot enough to consume a body? And speaking of fire, was the Priest Barracks flammable?
There was a furnace to burn garbage located in the rear of the building. The barracks were flammable indeed.

Did this lowly Priest have any understanding or personal knowledge of the Dark Cardinal? His whereabouts, his power, his nature?
The dark cardinal was a mystery. A stable figure who had run the Church for about 517 years. A dwarf that cared not for politics and stayed out of the public eye. His edicts were followed by the cardinals and priests without question. One of the six, he must be powerful indeed and savvy with all that entails. He can excommunicate, terminate, and exterminate with a word. The dark cardinal's ties with the Crystal were honed to a fine edge and none have tried to contest his powers. At least as far as Jeb knew.

You got alot out of Jeb. Usually his brain is too drugged out to string together a sentence..

Emilio Ughi - Wilds, On the road.

The journey began. Two weeks into the trip and Emilio, Sally, Stern, and the boys had gotten used to it. There were a few monster attacks but the wizard's on floating discs obliterated them with their wands. Emilio suddenly realized these mages needed them to cast spells in combat. Otherwise they'd need to chant etc.

Sally let Emilio know periodically that someone was scrying for him. There was nothing to be done about it. The wards of the wizard's deflected most attempts but were not tuned to keep these things out.

Spending time with this group, Emilio discovered that there were about 12 apprentices. Their gear was used and worn and they slept in sleeping bags instead of in tents like their masters.

stuff

The creature was caught off guard, it's brain pierced through. As it fell the necromantic essence crooned. The shapeshifter's body shuddered and rose as a very ugly zombie. Soon the mound of corpses was standing. Staring. Zombies shuffled and moaned mindlessly.

A dirty dozen zombies.

The Tinker sighed and told his story. He was lonely for many years. His wife had died young and he never had any children of his own. The man was an inventor and eventually started down the road of creating golems Abdul realized even though the man might not have known. He sold marionettes and toys to the rich and powerful but always felt empty. He had created the children to ease his lonely burden but soon it wasn't enough. One night after drinking heavily he decided to hang himself in his workshop. As he dangled at the end of the rope, dying he saw a flash of light. Suddenly one of his creations grabbed his legs while the other cut the rope. They were alive. Papa! Papa they said. A miracle.

Finishing his story the Tinker asks Abdul to stay. At least, if Abdul wanted for the Tinker to fix his arm.

Story. Offer

1 FP

The caravan reached the city without any further incident. As they rolled into town, cattle were being taken to market and merchants headed to the village square to trade. Everything was setup and all seemed normal. The caravan leader handed Amerigo his pay. "If you ever need work my friend come find me. I'm off to report this bandit band." As he started off a cheese seller approached Amerigo. "Buy some cheese from me rich fella?" He had too many missing teeth and his breath stank.

Oh I totally missed this ooc. Have a free upshift. No one's coming to arrest you and you can slip out of town unnoticed if you want. There are no caravans yet but might be once trades happen today.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

quote:

The leader of the caravan guards smiles. "I like a woman who's direct. I'm Maven and this is Talks. We can't afford to pay alot, but we will take care of food and a spot in one of our tents. We're one of the few all female merc bands still around, the Salamanders. We'd love to have ya." As Ksenija was shown around she met a few of the others. Comraderie was good and while guarded they welcomed Ksenija well enough.

The caravan was soon underway. A week or two into the wilds and the first troubles started. One of the drivers had made a pass at his guard while they were camped. Far from the fires and people, Ksenija stumbled upon it while patrolling the parameter. He pulled out a wicked looking sword and swung at her. "No one turns down Garth and lives!" The woman was Amy, a smallish scout. She only held a knife. "There must be alot of dead women then, because who could stand you." Amy mocked him. Ksenija could tell though Amy was scared. And vs that blade wouldn't last long.

Ksenija in stealth has come upon a situation. What do?

Ksenija snarls. She and Zlata had been lucky, but she knew plenty of girls who hadn't been. Sexual violence hit a very special nerve as a result. Amy was a sweetheart and perhaps not quite cut out for this work. She'd just have to send Garth a message herself. Ksenija drops low and takes each step slowly, heel to the balls of her feet. No need to make any noise before her moment. When she's inches behind him she slides her knife out of the sheath, decloaks and brings it to Garth's carotid artery in one clean motion. It slides against his skin ever so slightly, just to show she means business. Her other hand pinches a cluster of nerves in the pit of his swordarm.

"I believe Amy said "no", do you happen to have a hearing problem or are you just as craven as you are ugly?" She says matter-of-factly.

Ksenija will use her Sneaking Suit (+4) and Streetsmarts (+2) to get her knife at Garth's throat and disarm him in one clean motion.

The Unlife Aquatic fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 7, 2017

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon knew it was an illusion, a figment of the link, but he could feel the cravings so bad. He felt a flash of anger at the wizard for his offer, making the entire situation more difficult. The wizard physically recoiled as though struck, and bowed and scraped, begging his master's pardon. However, Hakon could only respond. "I'm leaving, you are not permitted anywhere near me until you are fully clean. And when that time comes, I expect you to have a gift sufficient to show I wasn't wasting my time in granting you the gift of slavery."

With a thought, he has Daor steady him, and lead him out of the tower, fighting the cravings the entire way. The bond with the wizard must work like the one with Daor. He had learned that distance had a strong impact on the effect, so he needed to put as much distance as possible between him and the wizard. That was the only way he would make it without succumbing. He had grown up in the slums, and he had seen what these sorts of concoctions did to a person. He wasn't going to let him self be some loser lying in some ditch letting the drug control him, not now that he finally had real power in his hands.

He had Daor help him back to the orphanage, the distance was helping, but he was still feeling it a bit. Regardless, he needed to keep moving forward, it would distract him from the cravings. So, with Daor in tow for support, he went to see the various estates of the wealthy he had previously targeted, to see if any were far enough to be outside the range of the long-distance cravings.

Hakon's gonna resist for now, and put some distance between him and the wizard to dampen the psychic effect. Ordering the wizard to get clean and that he better have a gift worth all the trouble he's caused Hakon when he presents himself after being fully clean. In the meantime, he's checking to see if any of the rich people on the target list he assembled earlier have their houses far enough away to avoid the effect. Alpha and Omega Servant[+2] to have Daor assist him, Practiced Con-Man[+2] to hide the effects of the cravings, and Former Thief[+4] to help stealthily case whatever places they visit. Addiction[-2] will also apply until they get outside the psychic range.

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself

Patak let the giant continue to smash around ineffectively while he got into position. It might even get tired. At any rate it wasn't much of a threat unless Patak erred. There was a great boulder, a piece of collapsed ceiling perhaps, or from the wall. It was there, though, precariously perched on a ledge in the dim distance. Patak slowly plodded over, climbing up and always stopping and barely breathing when the Giant stopped to listen.

In due time he was ready. He shouted his challenge to the creature. “My name? It will soon be Kursed Slayer. What was yours? I want to know for when I show off your toe as a trophy!”

The Giant would come. The rock will fall.
He would make use of the Banner one more time for an very important rite.

Going to do a The Land Before Time style rock fall coup de gras on the Giant. Hopefully this permits me enough free reign to use the War Banner to perform a last-rites ritual used on hostile undead.

Warlord +6 for the mental and physical skills involved in the trap

War God’s Banner +2 To foil the Kurse that is keeping the monster clinging to unlife.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - The Wilds

A shiver of revulsion swept through Nikita as the thing shifted forms. What unholy things were these? They were obviously not gigants, but it may be they were in league with them.

Despite his disgust, Nikita refused to release his grip on the creature's wrist. Fending off blows with his other hand, he risked a glance about the area. This thing was not alone, and the men were falling into a panic.

"Black Legion! Rally up on me! Rally! We'll send these abominations back to the depths!" At that, he shifted his grip and seized the creature he was fighting by the throat with both hands and lifted it up. His nails dug into the flesh while his tentacles whipped around to grab it by the wrists. His vision began to go red as fury overtook him. His only wish was to kill this thing - painfully. Whether strangulation, snapping the spine, or severing the carotid, he didn't care. Just so that it died.

He had just enough sense left to call out to his second, hoping she was nearby and not caught up in a battle of her own. "Freda! Form up with the berserkers and put these maggots in the ground!"

Indomitable +2 to stand fast as a beacon to the troops.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 7, 2017

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Isiah's snarled in revulsion as the decaying corpses stumbled to their feet. His lips lengthening into a snout as the first step of his change into a wolf before he mastered himself. The struggle for control over his body gave the onetime prince enough time to realize the undead were not attacking.

"Who made you? Who do you serve?" He barked at out scouts Leroy and Jenkins. He was rocked to his core by their moaning answer of "You made us. Incipio brought us back from death."

Most of him wanted to destroy them immediately, and then kill himself as well to prevent such an abomination from occuring again. The rest of him remembered his duties as a mercenary captain though. He'd led the Black Company warriors into this mess. He owed it to them to get them back out. Both unable and unwilling to hide his disgust at their shambling gait he growled out an order to the recently risen dead: "Then you will help me protect the Black Company in death as you failed to in life. Follow me back to the camp. Lets see how fast you can go." Isiah intended to push them to march as fast as they could.

"You, shapeshifter, how can I tell your kind apart from the mercenaries they replaced?"

questioning the shapeshifter on the way back to camp.
I'm coming Shardix! (Probably too late to help, but its the thought that counts, right?)

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Riley - Outside Mindy's House

Riley walked right up to the Granby's front door and knocked on it firmly. When it finally opened, she said, "Hi. I'm Riley, Mindy's friend. Is Mindy home?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Emilio Ughi - Wilds, on the road

Ahh yes, ambitious youth! Rich in vision but poor in foresight. Emilio couldn't help but smile (but then, could he ever?) as he observed the apprentices on their tasks, in their second-hand equipment. Few, he knew, would endure such conditions if not in the search of something greater. And certainly, whilst hardship and grueling, constant practice raised skilled professionals of strong spirit, those fruits would only be reaped after the training. During it, the temptations of easy success and shortcuts reigned supreme. Especially with a little prodding. Yes indeed, Emilio was confident that he'd most likely find his best marks in this troupe among the apprentices.

Thus, he would mingle with the youth. Ever so subtly sniff them for the best potential marks, figure out the exact details of their contracts with their teachers. Maybe get a better understanding of magic in this world and its role in it, in general. Certainly they ought to be better fonts of knowledge than his good man Stern, at the very least.

Mingling with the apprentices with Social Chameleon [+2], getting some exposition knowledge, Merchant [+4] to sniff out the best marks to rope into his service with promises of power. Also, figure out their exact contracts with the older mages so that I don't step on any toes.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Silth was took note of what he could wring from the engram. Useful information. Silth decided that it would need to very slowly ween this body off its addiction; there was no telling what a sudden lack of skooma would do to it. Death, likely.

Host/Jeb sighed as Silth quietly returned its attention outward instead of inward. Host/Jeb had many duties to perform, and the responsibilities of performing Mass when required. He would have to find an opportunity to request access to the Holy Book from his superior. He had some soul-searching to do, and where better to find the strength to pull one's life together than religion?

Living Host/Jeb's life for the time being. Host/Jeb will ask his boss to access the Holy Book, The Gleaning [+2] to know how to go about this properly and respectfully.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Abdul listened to the man’s story, pensive. Strange. From the sound of things, the Tinker did not bring his children to life himself. An unintentional, unplanned animation. Could such a thing be possible? The golem knew of no methods of doing so, and yet, it had happened. A miracle. Perhaps that was the right word after all. Looking again at the wooden golems, Abdul said nothing for a few moments. Eventually, he gave a nod and replied,

“You offer me shelter, and offer me repair. I am not so foolish as to deny either. In return, allow me to assist you around this shop of yours. I know little of inventing or tinkering, but I am certain I can find some way to put myself to use.”

OOC: Accepting the Tinker’s offer to stay, and in return will help around the shop with Mind of Astute Aid [+2] with whatever assistant’s work he has for me.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable

Garth got a punch off into Amy's face before he was disarmed and at Ksenija's mercy. He looked surprised and fearful but then realized he wasn't dead. His face contorted with a sneer. "You want some of this too you frelling freller?" He grabs his junk with his free arm slowly. "You don't have it in ya." He turned and walked into Ksenija's blade. "Do ya?"

wow he rolled like really good as far as the fear factor. You do disarm him and you can stab him easily.

Hakon and Daor - Orphanage

Daor reports that there is a noble located on the far south edge of the city. While down on His luck, the noble still had money. More money than Hakon. Another list had various nobles to be visited and enthralled, but their holdings were closer to the wizard's abode and would take Hakon in the opposite direction. "Where would you like to go master?" Daor asked.

There is a noble down on his luck located on the southern edge of the city. His business dealing had seen better days. You can travel there and do him or enthrall about 7 nobles and gain access to their fortunes, but come under the effects of the addiction drawback.

"Littlefoot! you-" The giant's voice was cut off as the boulder crushed it's skull completely. The body slumped and then:
https://youtu.be/MJd1ZH1CwFQ

Power erupted from the body of the slain undead beast. Primal and pure it shot into the sky before descending and striking Patak to the core of his being. Light and energy had lit the darkness for miles around.

Patak slumped to his knees, momentarily shaken.

A roar could be heard in the distance and a loan on the wind. A fading heartbeat like distant thunder, walking away....far away.

1/3.

Nikita - The Wilds

A few of the me were already dead. Your berserkers formed around you. None of them were replaced thankfully. About half of the regulars rallied around you as the shapeshifters attacked. About twenty of them. They were strong and initially had the upper hand. However as you rallied your troops, you began slaughtering them. Nikita picked one of the hissing creatures up and snapped it's neck. The fight seemed to last hours but was only a few minutes. The dead on your side totalled 27 regulars, and 1 berserker. The pile of shapeshifters was gathered and the remain ready to be burned. "What are your orders sarge?" Your second asked. She looked ready to fight some more.

Isiah soon rode into camp to the cheers of the men. However, an outlying picket suddenly screamed in terror as an undead horde shambled out of the darkness towards the camp!

The shapeshifter threat in camp is ended!

"Siiilver." The undead shapeshifter slurred. Going silent once it had answered the question. The rest of the dead dumbly shambled after you. If they fell, they rose. They did not stop, they did not tire. They did not falter bit followed. Isiah could not outpace them forever but arrived in camp first, to the cheers of the men.

An outlying picket screamed in terror as the undead horde shambled out of the darkness towards the camp.

A question answered. A situation!

Riley - Outside Mindy's House

A butler answered the door with a sniff. Seeing Riley's appearance he started to close the door. "Beggar off. The Granby's don't traffic with street rats." It would seem that Mindy didn't run things here. But like all children wanted to help. Perhaps there was another way to get inside or to get Mindy's attention? The door wasn't quite closed and perhaps the man could be convinced. Possibly.

Most of the apprentices were scholarly teenage boys. A few girls. They wanted power and knowledge and so signed up to toil and do menial work in exchange for lessons from the master's. Cooking, cleaning, gathering materials and reagents. Running errands and messages. Of course they weren't the prettiest of people and so love and romance were things they pined for. With enough magic they could improve their looks or fortune. The teaching was slow and steady. Study was tedious. Plenty of wants and needs for Emilio to exploit. Faster study, great power, beauty. Enough that Emilio could drove a cart through. Yes indeed.

The apprentices could leave when they liked, no real contracts. They stayed out of their own desires. Emilio could understand that. He had been young once!

The wishes and wants of the young! Oh youth!

Jen's superior looked doubtfully at Jeb. "You...want to give a sermon." It was obvious he knew about Jen's habit. However the hard gaze softened when he saw Jeb wasn't under the effects of Skooma. In fact Jen's eyes looked clear for the first time in a long time. "Have you refounded your faith my son?" The senior priest asked. "The crystal knows I've been praying for you. A miracle I'd say." The man wrote something on a piece of parchment and sealed it with wax. A symbol of an eye imprinted on it.
"Give this to Inquisitor Blaylock. He will give you access what you seek. The Dark Crystal be praised!" He said dogmatically.

https://youtu.be/29_uSlEEPSk

"Wonderful!" The Tinker clapped his hands. The wooden children cheered and hugged Abdul. "Big brother!" They called him and laughed. The Tinker began his work on creating an arm for Abdul in between his commissions for nobles. Whenever someone came to pick up the work though, the Tinker hid Abdul and his children under a trap door to the cellar.
"They would not understand." He said sadly. "Miracles outside of the Church of Darkness are covered up. Their recipients killed. All evidence destroyed."

The days and weeks passed without incident. Abdul helped around the shop and played with the children. They were innocents just like he once was. The Tinker was almost finished with the new arm when one of his customers arrived early. It was an inquisitor. Abdul and the children had to hastily hide.

"The Dark Cardinal needs his entertainment! Is the music box ready for his daughter? You know the penalty for failure!" The dark elf loomed over the dwarf Tinker.

"P-p-please. I need more time. The parts I needed. Weren't available." The Tinker said wringing his hands. This wasn't exactly true. In fact the Tinker had the parts he just used them for your new arm.

The Inquisitor stepped in close to the Tinker and sniffed. "You're lying." Abdul could feel the crown resonate. The man was using a truth spell of some kind. This would not go well for the Tinker if Abdul didn't do something.

It is possible to block the Inquisitor's access to the truth. The spell will go off and he likely wouldn't be the wiser. Or Abdul could try something else. Or he could see how it all plays out.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
In cars

quote:

Garth got a punch off into Amy's face before he was disarmed and at Ksenija's mercy. He looked surprised and fearful but then realized he wasn't dead. His face contorted with a sneer. "You want some of this too you frelling freller?" He grabs his junk with his free arm slowly. "You don't have it in ya." He turned and walked into Ksenija's blade. "Do ya?"

wow he rolled like really good as far as the fear factor. You do disarm him and you can stab him easily.

Ksenija sneers.

"Never confuse mercy for weakness." She says.

Her knife plunges into his stomach repeatedly. Just the way Zlata taught her.

Ksenija will murder the gently caress out of this man with her Streetsmarts (+2) guiding her knife.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Host/Jeb took the sealed note reverently, adding a touch of an emotional trembling to his hands. "The Dark Crystal be praised," he replied, inflecting just a hint of reverential gratefulness. The voice of a man struggling back toward the light. Or dark, in this case. With a respectful nod, he excused himself from the senior Priest's presence.

Silth idly mused on what giving a sermon might entail, and if that, too, could serve its aims.

Host/Jeb, in any case, made his way to where ever it was that Inquisitor Blaylock might be found. He had no reason to delay delivery of the sealed letter, and every reason to hurry. Perhaps the Inquisitor would make for a more suitable host? Silth would get what it wanted; one way, or another.

Delivering the letter to Inquisitor Blaylock, using The Gleaning [+2] to observe the proper forms if required.

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE

Hakon and Daor - Southern Edge of the City

"We must head south," Hakon replies. While more money was always better, Hakon was all too aware of his situation, and there would always be time to enthrall more nobles later. With Daor's help he made his way his way towards the south of the city. The farther he got from the wizard's tower the better he felt. Finally they reached the estate in question, and Hakon was certain he was outside of the range of the Wizard's psychic bond. Now that his mind was clear again, he realized they would need to move carefully. The normal procedure of stakeouts to determine the best vector to enthrall the target was the order of the day.

Hakon's gonna stake out the noble in the south of the city, trying to figure out the best approach to enthrall him. Former Thief[+4] for knowing how to case places for surreptitious routes of entrance without being noticed. Practiced Con-Man[+2] to learn about the noble's schedule and habits by pumping people for info without them realize that's what Hakon's doing. Alpha and Omega Servant[+2] for having an extra set of eyes and Daor's assistance and support.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.

Nikita - The Wilds

Nikita looked about the camp at Freda's question. "...Assign some troopers to burn these abominations. You and the rest of the berserkers do a quick scouting run around the area. Three to a team, always, in case more of these face stealers are lurking about." He rubbed a shoulder as he spoke. Managed to pull something as he killed the beast he'd fought, it seemed.

"I'll identify the dead. Commander Gaol will need to know who we've lost." He put a foot into the ribs of the soldier he'd initially knocked out. "Wake up, trooper. There's work to be..." Nikita paused as he saw Isiah returning. He strode forward to greet the captain, but stopped short as his accompaniment also became visible. Screams erupted behind him, and he jerked about. "Stand fast you mewling whelps! Act like men for a change!"

He snapped his focus back to Isiah. Nikita crossed his arms, eyes narrowed. The rotting things confused him. They were obviously dead men, yet they walked. And the reactions from the soldiery suggested this was not a common or accepted thing to see. Well. One thing at a time. "Hold there, Captain. We've just suffered an attack by some manner of shapeshifting monstrosities. For our safety you'll answer a question so I can be sure of you. Answer me this: A man sent us to join Gaol. What did that man sell at his stall?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Haha! His exquisite mercantile sensibilities had once again confirmed his suspicions! The youth were, like Emilio had expected, highly driven by ambitious vision of personal betterment. Something he could very much empathize with! Thus, they ought to be easy enough to reel into his personal retinue. Indeed, the larger problem at this point were the exact mechanics of his dealings, and how clandestine they were to be kept. After all, Emilio had no real interest in another Dark Cardinal debacle (the man was, presumably, still searching for him via these 'scryings'. What a troublesome fellow!), well, at least not without a much bigger payout than previously, and not before he had far more reliable means of egress than currently. He didn't want to clue in the older wizards, that was to say, or gain their enmity.

But still...

He would likely not gain access to wizards, and ones so easily convinced like these ones at that. Well, at least he had no guarantee. And he would be no Ughi if he didn't take advantage of such a chance, now would he?

Some strategy would be required, however, a degree of discreetness. He had talked to the apprentices, he knew their names and had formed a vague reading on them. His plan, then, would take on the following form, roughly:

Try to isolate the few apprentices he thought most receptive to his ideas, make it seem like fairly natural attempts to hang out by a curious traveler. Gently steer the conversation to their wants, their likes, and bring up the possibility of fulfilling their wishes, again, starting small. Grant them little boosts, but on the demand that they keep their gifts secret for the time being to avoid drama. Work to bigger and bigger promises, until a spot in Emilio's retinue is bid for their promises of power, smarts and beauty being fulfilled (Emilio would make a note to have the beautification only take effect once they were at their destination). If he sold it right, he could get access to very powerful wizards, whose loyalty was largely enforced, but who still thought they got a good deal.

And really, getting to see the world whilst being absurdly powerful and beautiful was in many ways far better than what most people could ever dream of. So really, Emilio was doing the kids a favor, haha!

Social Chameleon [+2], to isolate a few of the best marks without raising eyebrows, Merchant [+4] to butter them up.

Wishmaster [+2] to give the kids POWER (if they wish to test it out here on the road, they must do things that hard to spot but require great power and skill nevertheless) and BEAUTY (only to take effect after we are at the city) and SMARTS. In exchange, they'll just have to be my loyal followers instead (really, getting to travel the world whilst being super awesome is no real prize at all haha!). The normal stuff about them being unable to cross Emilio, work against his interests or otherwise screw him over apply.

Also, tagging Greed twice for a +4 to my DIVINE POWAH, since Emilio is doing a potentially risky deal in the middle of a road because he really wants those wizard people in his team, with the full knowledge that the amount of power he'll have to pump into these people is likely to wring his book of juice once again. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice for quality merchandise!

Theantero fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamezBfod
Jun 13, 2003

there may be people who
find a blender sexy - I
humanoid model, myself
Patak - Kursedfall, The Wilds | FP 5

It was a familiar experience to Patak. This is how power would transfer on his plane among the Empowered. It was how he had been able to amass enough power to challenge the gods. It had been stripped from him before he was banished. Here, now, he sensed a connection with the Others. He would have to slay them or they him. The gears were in motion after all this time. Perhaps there was even a hidden master behind the Kursed.

Here, now, there was still much to be done. The victims of the Giant needed to be cremated and the Rites performed to protect the corpses from undeath and honor their souls so they could pass freely. Every weapon embedded in the darksteel armor and scarred flesh of the Giant was taken, cleaned, sharpened, polished and left pointing at the Giant’s Remains in a great circle. Time and time again Patak repeated the mantra to unknown warriors. “Be at peace. Your fight is over. Victory has been achieved.”

When rest was necessary he rested. He gathered some extra provisions from the packs of the fallen. He was content in his tribute. The skeleton, weapons and armor would stay here for a long time. A monument, a memorial. The first of many he would erect on this world.

Basically a rest and upkeep turn. Taking 10(7?] to build Kursedfall, a memorial to the fallen. Justice has been served.

• Locked thread