Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Orv posted:

Please don't compare alright to not bad Ubisoft games to a bunch of anime garbage.

Don't you have a tower to climb somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
What was the last Ubisoft game you played?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

Zero is the second Kiseki trilogy

There are only two games in that series: Zero and Ao

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

People loved climbing the tower in Silent Hunter 5, now it's in every game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Climbing things can be pretty fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exquisite tea posted:

Climbing things can be pretty fun.

I did enough of it in Shadow of the Colossus and now never again :v:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I really enjoyed climbing stuff in the early Assassin's Creed games because the movement/parkour was a major part of the gameplay and fairly innovative at the time, and because of the historical landmarks. Looking up at Giotto's Bell Tower and thinking "yeah, I'm gonna climb that" and then doing it and being rewarded with a superb view and a bunch of new map markers was great. It obviously lost its luster somewhat as Ubisoft ran it into the ground as a mechanic but I still think it can be good in the right setting. I actually haven't played any of the recent Far Cry games so I dunno how it works there but I can't imagine it being as exciting as climbing the Sistine Chapel or whatever.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
The Crew. I was hyped for the Crew 2 rewards and then super burned out. I don't think I can touch it again. I might not even buy The Crew 2 anyway. I am insane. :v:

Edit: But I do enjoy open world drive vroom vroom games. I'd buy a Forza Horizon if it were on Steam instead of the worst store conceived by human beings.

Jamfrost fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 2, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Justin_Brett posted:

I can't think of any door that's entirely just wacky hijinx.
The first door. AKA the only one I opened before "yeah, I'd honestly rather be playing / writing a guide for a 20 year old RPG".

I'm seriously loving Betrayal at Krondor's open world design, by the way. Yeah, it has some shortcomings. It looks like poo poo - not even "by today's standards", it came out looking like poo poo, with a horrible 3d world, and ludicrous actors in ren-faire costumes. It's slow. It has no quest markers, and you have to write down everything you're told, as there isn't even a quest journal.

But it allows you to get out there into the wide open world, and do whatever. You want to wander in the entirely wrong direction, and get to the chapter 1 goal by going around the map? You'll get your poo poo pushed in, but you're free to do so.

Particularly dangerous enemies don't have a big skull icon above them - you'll just know that they're dangerous by the number of enemies you see, and by the way they kick your rear end when you first try to fight them. And you don't arbitrarily do scratch damage against them just because they're "too high level for you" - get enough buffs going and spell things up so that you get the first strike, and you still have a chance.

You can find a shop that sells the third best weapon in the game right next to where you first start. Do you want to grind long and hard enough to get it? It's entirely possible, and nothing will tell you "wait for level 30 before you're allowed to use this weapon". I managed to have my entire party clad in the second best armor and wielding the third best weapons (all blessed with the strongest bless type) before the end of chapter 1. The game didn't give a poo poo - it knew it had more than enough surprises in store for me.

The Witcher 3 should be getting levels in enemy encounter design and loot systems from a game that came out in the 90's, is what I'm saying.

Terminally Bored posted:

Don't you have a tower to climb somewhere
I just gyro-coptered onto 90% of the towers in the game, once I figured how to do that. Primal apparently doesn't have any towers. Too bad, so sad.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Aug 2, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Level-based requirements for loot in open world games are often a major dealbreaker for me. They also hurt replayability when you're experienced with the game and want to sequence break straight into some OP weapon for funsies.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Orv posted:

What was the last Ubisoft game you played?

Unless you've a lot of experience of the Trails series yourself, that's probably not an angle you can take here.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Seriously, Falcom makes the best jRPGs. If you want to sprint through some beautiful areas comboing monsters into infinity with minimal story and a power-metal soundtrack you get Ys. If you want a really slow, but also really rewarding story with an average turn-based combat system, you get Trails.

The games are really well made, highly replayable, not expensive and the person who ported them all is a goonette.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Trails of Cold Steel isn't nearly as old as most other Trails games either, so it has a lot of quality of life upgrades comparatively. And it was ported by the DSFix guy (Durante) who's pretty much guaranteed it runs fast.
It's also the closest thing to Persona you'll ever get on PC if you like those games.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Can a person just jump into Cold Steel without previous experience?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yes.

HGH posted:

It's also the closest thing to Persona you'll ever get on PC if you like those games.

Wonder why Atlus still avoids the PC market. Japanese games do really well on Steam these days.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

How does it compared to either of the first two TitS / Valkyrie Chronicles?

Trails of Cold Steel is basically Persona 4 and Xenogears mashed together. The writing isn't quite up to Sky's standard; it's still got plenty of its moments but they lean pretty hard on dumb cliches too. Combat and traveling should all feel a lot faster than in Sky. The first CS follows the same general pattern as the first TitS where it's mostly establishing characters & setting, and poo poo doesn't really start popping off until late in the game and also it ends on a horrible horrible cliffhanger so fair warning if that was a deal-breaker.

Assassin's Creed is waaay more anime

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 2, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Unless you've a lot of experience of the Trails series yourself, that's probably not an angle you can take here.

You're right, let me give a reasoned, well meaning response to "Lol Ubisoft is bad, towers amirite?!"

I picked up Ys Origins during the last sale with the intent of seeing if I'm interested in those games at all, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ys is pretty different from Trails; it's an ARPG series, a lot more like old Zeldas. Origin was pretty good.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Ubisoft does cool stuff sometimes, like funding two great Rayman games or small stuff like Grow Home or that WWI game but it mostly floods the market with high budget crap that basically play itself: AssCred, that Prince of Persia reboot, Watch Dogs, etc. They look amazing but are empty in terms of gameplay and story. Far Cry 3 was p good for some brainless shooting but it would be so much better without any plot.

Orv posted:

I picked up Ys Origins during the last sale with the intent of seeing if I'm interested in those games at all, but I haven't gotten around to it.

It's one of the best in series. Do try it if you have time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Ubisoft does cool stuff sometimes, like funding two great Rayman games or small stuff like Grow Home or that WWI game but it mostly floods the market with high budget crap that basically play itself: AssCred, that Prince of Persia reboot, Watch Dogs, etc. They look amazing but are empty in terms of gameplay and story. Far Cry 3 was p good for some brainless shooting but it would be so much better without any plot.

I can't even begin to agree with this at all. What does play themselves even mean? Much less empty of gameplay. Ubisoft games are hardly uniformly good, and I won't ever once begrudge anyone a dislike of the collectathon aspects, but to say they're empty of gameplay makes a lot of other games the same thing.

Terminally Bored posted:

It's one of the best in series. Do try it if you have time.

I'll give it a shot this weekend and report back. I don't expect to be big on it, I'm not traditionally one for JRPGs, but my hope was that the combat would keep me interested through my potential distaste for the writing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 2, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Orv posted:

I'll give it a shot this weekend and report back. I don't expect to be big on it, I'm not traditionally one for JRPGs, but my hope was that the combat would keep me interested through my potential distaste for the writing.

There's barely any writing and modern Ys games are pretty bitchin' action RPGs with a high skill ceiling if you want to play them on harder difficulties (new attacks and patterns from enemies, the works). Here, I'll do Origin's plot for you in brief: "Oh gently caress it's a prequel nothing is allowed to happen! We brought 50 dudes here and only the one you're playing as will do anything! gently caress!"

Orv
May 4, 2011
Would you guys recommend a controller for them?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Orv posted:

You're right, let me give a reasoned, well meaning response to "Lol Ubisoft is bad, towers amirite?!"

You dismissed an entire well-liked series as "anime garbage" offhand literally one post earlier, you shouldn't try to dish it out if you're that terrible at taking it yourself is all I'm saying.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

Would you guys recommend a controller for them?

Yeah, though they play very well with m+kb. They use sprites but with 360 movement.

Also:

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
All the Ys games are extremely good except the weird one we don't talk about. Sort of like Zelda.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

You dismissed an entire well-liked series as "anime garbage" offhand literally one post earlier, you shouldn't try to dish it out if you're that terrible at taking it yourself is all I'm saying.

Thanks dad. My first post was meant as a joke, while my second was a genuine question. Lined up they look like I was trying to start poo poo, which wasn't my intent. I was actually curious as to what games from them Terminally Bored had played recently, because I find that typically tower jokes about Ubisoft games come from people that haven't really given one a chance in a while. Ubisoft has made a couple genuinely good games in the last few years, and I think people are doing themselves a disservice not to give them a shot, but if they've tried a recent one and didn't like it, I don't fault them for not wanting to try another.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
Tbh Ubisoft games have such a deeply ingrained lovely reputation online that it's probably not worth trying to sway anyone towards changing their opinion. I say this as a huge Ubi fan. Besides, they're selling well anyway :shrug:

not that it matters cause the games will really start sucking once vivendi takes over

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Pierson posted:

Watch_Dogs 2 is extremely good and what W_D1 should basically have been if they wanted the series to be received well from the start but god drat I've gotten frustrated by guard-dogs being able to sniff me out and ruin my stealth. They're fuckin' dogs, how the hell do they know where a restricted area begins or ends?!

Little late, but I quickly discovered that upgrading to the police/gang hacks makes life an (entertaining) breeze and will take care of your dog problem for you. Instead of trying to sneak your way into a base, you just kick off a giant gang-war/get the police involved (or both if you're careful) and watch the chaos unfold then casually wander into the restricted area to just pick up whatever you were after.

Getting into GoogleNudle was hilarious because the horrified staff were just watching an endless stream of police running in and arresting their security officers one by one - sometimes you could just walk through the remote-locked door as they were leaving because the police can open any door in the game and they take a little while to close after them :allears:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Really Pants posted:

It will be if you ever get to assassinate Juno with the power of friendship.

Kneeing the Pope in the balls isn't nearly anime enough, even when he does a Sayan powerup.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glare Seethe posted:

I really enjoyed climbing stuff in the early Assassin's Creed games because the movement/parkour was a major part of the gameplay and fairly innovative at the time, and because of the historical landmarks. Looking up at Giotto's Bell Tower and thinking "yeah, I'm gonna climb that" and then doing it and being rewarded with a superb view and a bunch of new map markers was great. It obviously lost its luster somewhat as Ubisoft ran it into the ground as a mechanic but I still think it can be good in the right setting. I actually haven't played any of the recent Far Cry games so I dunno how it works there but I can't imagine it being as exciting as climbing the Sistine Chapel or whatever.

I used to replay rear end Creed 2 and rear end Creed Bro pretty regularly (Revelations had too many annoying gimmicks but it was fun), Black Flag was good but I have no real desire to play it again although I'm playing Freedom Cry right now, but the series sort of just poo poo itself at 3 and at that point I realized I'm good on buying new ones.

I still get a laugh out of the one Ubisoft tower in AC3 being a small flagpole on a hill because as it turns out Colonial Boston doesn't have loving anything.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I know this is a little vague, but I finally got a better laptop. My old laptop could not run games like XCOM 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Witness or Shadow of Mordor. My new laptop can, on low settings, but nothing more intensive than those games - no DOOM or Prey for example. Is there anything really good that I probably couldn't play before but probably can now? Those are enough to be getting on with but I'd like to update my wishlist.

Also, Hollow Knight's controls felt a little sloppy on my old laptop, tried it again on my new laptop and they feel really smooth. So I think for people who are finding the controls sluggish, it might just be a weird performance issue.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The Witcher 3. It ran decently when I still had my 7700 (which is basically a 5750 IIRC).

vv the first (2014?) one, the sequel wound up being unplayable in the final areas for me.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 2, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Tomb Raider?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Trails of Cold Steel is basically Persona 4 and Xenogears mashed together. The writing isn't quite up to Sky's standard; it's still got plenty of its moments but they lean pretty hard on dumb cliches too. Combat and traveling should all feel a lot faster than in Sky. The first CS follows the same general pattern as the first TitS where it's mostly establishing characters & setting, and poo poo doesn't really start popping off until late in the game and also it ends on a horrible horrible cliffhanger so fair warning if that was a deal-breaker.

Also, for all those who add issues with how slow the previous Trails were, there's a Turbo button now:

quote:

Essentially, Turbo mode is a toggle that defaults to the Right Trigger / R2 of your controller and will speed the game up without compromising the music or voiceovers. If you've played the recently released Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, the implementation is similar here. This trigger was selected as the button of choice because it does not have a standard purpose inside of battles or cutscenes: the areas where speeding ahead would likely be most beneficial. Grinding or crossing a large map area become a breeze and takes a fraction of the time with this option enabled.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Someone take these.

NIKOPOL: XHYAV-TKRCV-KH945

SPELLWEAVER CHRONICLES THE HOLY CHILD: 6Z9KV-KRVHC-P7WB4
(requires base game SPELLWEAVER CHRONICLES)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trespasser 2 lookin good

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

gary oldmans diary posted:

Someone take these.

NIKOPOL: XHYAV-TKRCV-KH945

Grabbed this one, thanks!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

Thanks dad. My first post was meant as a joke, while my second was a genuine question. Lined up they look like I was trying to start poo poo, which wasn't my intent. I was actually curious as to what games from them Terminally Bored had played recently, because I find that typically tower jokes about Ubisoft games come from people that haven't really given one a chance in a while. Ubisoft has made a couple genuinely good games in the last few years, and I think people are doing themselves a disservice not to give them a shot, but if they've tried a recent one and didn't like it, I don't fault them for not wanting to try another.

here i'll help, i've played ubisoft's recent games and they're always padded with endless bullshit

wildlands can go gently caress the devil in hell is what i'm saying, it can gently caress right off forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lets take the best tactical shooter series of all time and make it a loving generic open world game