Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Jeff Passan the goatse'd man?

He was the one who white knighted Jeff Pearlman. He tracked down the offending Tweeter and called their mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ragnarok the Red posted:

https://twitter.com/Rangers/status/892563502497452038

I think that's the longest center field dong in the Ballpark's history :stare:

There's no way Statcast's estimate of 456 feet is correct. Holy poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Dudes gonna be near 36 by the time he can throw again, no way he comes back.
Yeah that was my thought. He may try a comeback but that is the worst age to have this happen.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Ragnarok the Red posted:

https://twitter.com/Rangers/status/892563502497452038

I think that's the longest center field dong in the Ballpark's history :stare:

lmao they start playing the home run theme from The Natural as he rounds the bases

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Joey Gallo slash lines not being a thing in SAS, yet, is kind of tragic.

.202/.317/.534 for a 118 OPS+

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

tadashi posted:

He has more homers than singles. King of the true outcomes.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Grittybeard posted:

Huh, CC Sabathia made his 500th career start tonight. How rare is that these days?

I mean he's not really all that old after looking him up so maybe this is less impressive than I thought. For some reason I thought he was like 42 or something.

Maddux started 740 games. Colon is at 516. After CC, Lackey is the next active with 436.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How many players have had a positive WAR while hitting below the mendoza line?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

How many players have had a positive WAR while hitting below the mendoza line?

39 according to fangraphs - they're almost all in the Before Times. There aren't any real surprises in the more recent instances. Excluding any from 1915 or before:

code:
Year	Player		Team		BA	WAR
1968	Tom Tresh	Yankees		0.195	2.0
1968	Don Wert	Tigers		0.200	0.4
1968	Curt Blefary	Orioles		0.200	0.3
1975	Jim Sundberg	Rangers		0.199	1.4
1991	Rob Deer	Tigers		0.179	1.0
2010	Mark Reynolds	Diamondbacks	0.198	1.7
2010	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.196	1.0
2012	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.197	0.7
2013	Dan Uggla	Braves		0.179	0.5
2014	Chris Davis	Orioles		0.196	0.8
2017*	Kyle Schwarber	Cubs		0.189	0.6
Some guy named Frank Fennelly had 3.3 WAR in 1888 with a 0.200 BA and an OPS of .578, apparently he was some kind of defensive wizard.

e: Nobody can convince me that Curt Blefary wasn't invented by elentar's neural network

Poque fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 2, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

he's not below the Mendoza line but Buxton is slashing .219/.293/.312 and has a 2.2 bWAR

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

39 according to fangraphs - they're almost all in the Before Times. There aren't any real surprises in the more recent instances. Excluding any from 1915 or before:

code:
Year	Player		Team		BA	WAR
1968	Tom Tresh	Yankees		0.195	2.0
1968	Don Wert	Tigers		0.200	0.4
1968	Curt Blefary	Orioles		0.200	0.3
1975	Jim Sundberg	Rangers		0.199	1.4
1991	Rob Deer	Tigers		0.179	1.0
2010	Mark Reynolds	Diamondbacks	0.198	1.7
2010	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.196	1.0
2012	Carlos Pena	Rays		0.197	0.7
2013	Dan Uggla	Braves		0.179	0.5
2014	Chris Davis	Orioles		0.196	0.8
2017*	Kyle Schwarber	Cubs		0.189	0.6
Some guy named Frank Fennelly had 3.3 WAR in 1888 with a 0.200 BA and an OPS of .578, apparently he was some kind of defensive wizard.

e: Nobody can convince me that Curt Blefary wasn't invented by elentar's neural network

BR disagrees with a few of these (Blefary, Uggla and Schwarber) but has Reynolds doing it in 2014 also.

Also no surprise that there were 3 to do it in 1968, replacement level was a lot lower that year.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Julio Cruz posted:

BR disagrees with a few of these (Blefary, Uggla and Schwarber) but has Reynolds doing it in 2014 also.

Also no surprise that there were 3 to do it in 1968, replacement level was a lot lower that year.

Yeah, I don't have access to BR's selector tool - I prefer their WAR calculation to Fangraphs for sure.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
My first guess was gonna be early Ozzie, but he was never under .200. Just close to it.

1979 Ozzie: .211 with a 1.6 bWAR
1980 Ozzie: .230 with a 5.0 bWAR
1981 Ozzie: .222 with a 1.0 bWAR

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What was Heyward's average last year?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Dexo posted:

What was Heyward's average last year?

.230, 1.6 bWAR

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

Reminds me of Carlos Pena

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It's nuts to think that the Cubs solid second half so far at 14-3 doesn't even extrapolate to the Dodgers stretch of 40-6

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Poque posted:

I primed it with Curt to see what sort of teammates it would generate around him:

quote:

Curt Blefary
Dud Frolder
Od Gubren
Cober Derrman
Tim Mal Peson
Jeff Marthack
Brian Prowgn
Frank Brack (19)
Bob Blark (190s 5)
Chlie Barfimen
Chant Horwen
Busch Crick Friim
Shenny Baber
Joan Corr

honestly two thirds of these could be called up by the Cardinals tomorrow and no one would bat an eye

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 2, 2017

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Cober" is definitely going to be in the next wave of Southern suburban names.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

It's nuts to think that the Cubs solid second half so far at 14-3 doesn't even extrapolate to the Dodgers stretch of 40-6

I'm hoping the Dodgers lay a big fat egg in the NLDS because I don't think we win an NLCS rematch against them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your Taint posted:

I'm hoping the Dodgers lay a big fat egg in the NLDS because I don't think we win an NLCS rematch against them.

I don't think whoever wins the Central makes it out of the NLDS because it's likely the WC will be better.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Poque posted:

There's no way Statcast's estimate of 456 feet is correct. Holy poo poo.

Yeah thats way low.

Did anyone ever come up with a number for Judge's Safeco dinger that nearly left the park?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Hey is unblock.us still a viable option for getting around MLB.tv blackouts? I let my subscription expire when Netflix implemented their ban on IP spoofers, but I need to figure out a way to watch the playoffs.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hey is unblock.us still a viable option for getting around MLB.tv blackouts? I let my subscription expire when Netflix implemented their ban on IP spoofers, but I need to figure out a way to watch the playoffs.

I've been using it for a few years now, no problems.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

iospace posted:

I don't think whoever wins the Central makes it out of the NLDS because it's likely the WC will be better.
When the second wild card was added, the stipulation about same-division matchups in the DS was removed. The Dodgers will almost certainly face the WC game winner in the NLDS. The Central winner will see the Nationals.

The Nationals have never won a postseason series and are a DC sports team so maybe the Cubs/Brewers chances aren't as long as you thought.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

bawfuls posted:

When the second wild card was added, the stipulation about same-division matchups in the DS was removed. The Dodgers will almost certainly face the WC game winner in the NLDS. The Central winner will see the Nationals.

The Nationals have never won a postseason series and are a DC sports team so maybe the Cubs/Brewers chances aren't as long as you thought.

t:mad:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bawfuls posted:

Right, forgot about that. I'm still not bullish on the central making it past the DS regardless.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

Right, forgot about that. I'm still not bullish on the central making it past the DS regardless.

Nor I. Obviously the post season is a crapshoot and anybody who makes it has a shot, but I think in terms of pure talent this year no NL Central team is better than the Nats, and none even come close to matching the Dodgers.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Your Taint posted:

Thirty years of PTSD have me anticipating this scenario. Probably occurring after Greinke has a three dinger night against Kershaw.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

Thirty years of PTSD have me anticipating this scenario. Probably occurring after Greinke has a three dinger night against Kershaw.
Seems unlikely that Kershaw and Greinke would match up in the NLDS, considering Greinke is pretty much guaranteed to pitch the WCG.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs entered the second half 5.5 games back of the division lead. If they'd fallen 8 games back, they would have become sellers.

Bullet dodged :sweatdrop:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
36-year-old Brandon Phillips is making his first career start at third base tonight. So naturally https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/892846607108059136

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
God bless the Brewers for just giving up.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sydin posted:

The Cubs entered the second half 5.5 games back of the division lead. If they'd fallen 8 games back, they would have become sellers.

Bullet dodged :sweatdrop:

It's funny because my gut reaction would be despair/disgust at selling so quickly after a WS title. However, reading the specific comments, it's a very nuanced, and understandable position that I totally agree with.

I'm much happier with the current reality, of course.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is extremely my poo poo

https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/892842477664817153

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Explosionface posted:

It's funny because my gut reaction would be despair/disgust at selling so quickly after a WS title. However, reading the specific comments, it's a very nuanced, and understandable position that I totally agree with.

I'm much happier with the current reality, of course.

Theo and Jed could probably sell me on the virtues of white nationalism. They are extremely good at talking.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry

Do they use the same doctor or something?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Seems unlikely that Kershaw and Greinke would match up in the NLDS, considering Greinke is pretty much guaranteed to pitch the WCG.

It means something that this is your objection.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Der Meister posted:

It means something that this is your objection.
Kershaw could be bad and Greinke could hit dingers because that's baseball, but it's exceedingly unlikely they happen in the same game. There's plenty of more realistic nightmare scenarios you could fret about.

I've been crushed by all the same awful postseason exits as you have in recent years so idk what else I can say about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Clapping Larry
Greinke will pitch a shutout to complete a 3 game sweep of the Dodgers and then all the Diamondbacks will jump in the pool.

• Locked thread