Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Watch_Dogs_2 is pretty cool though.

I'm looking forward to AC: Egypt somehow strictly because of the setting and because they copied everything from Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

I'm looking forward to AC: Egypt somehow strictly because of the setting.

I want to slide down a pyramid too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

corn in the bible posted:

lets take the best tactical shooter series of all time and make it a loving generic open world game

But they didn't do that, they made it into a fairly good multiplayer 5v5 shooter.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
most of what ubisoft puts out has been garbage, I haven't tried watch dogs 2 yet though

its like they had one executive that was like "All our games have the following bullet list of features regardless of what they are; towers you climb, millions of pointless collectibles, stacks of hay to jump in, zip lines, loading screens where your character slides slowly between two very close together rocks/boxes/whatever"

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 2, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But they didn't do that, they made it into a fairly good multiplayer 5v5 shooter.

you know drat well what i mean

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

you know drat well what i mean

and you know in your heart that rainbow six was always better than ghost recon

SWAT was better than both but that one's just kinda dead. I look forward to the next two year's wave of SWAT clones.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

and you know in your heart that rainbow six was always better than ghost recon

SWAT was better than both but that one's just kinda dead. I look forward to the next two year's wave of SWAT clones.

SWAT4 is on GOG if you want to relive it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

SWAT4 is on GOG if you want to relive it.

Bought it on GoG as soon as it came out, plus I have it and its expansion on disc. Go play it if you haven't played it before, it's unparalleled.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The Witcher 3. It ran decently when I still had my 7700 (which is basically a 5750 IIRC).

vv the first (2014?) one, the sequel wound up being unplayable in the final areas for me.

I'd love to play Witcher 3 but I really doubt my laptop will handle it. I'd rather wait until I can afford a decent desktop and have it looking pretty. I've already played both Tomb Raiders on xbox. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I sure wish Owlboy was as fun to play as it was to look at. An hour in and it's been boring as hell and flying just feels like moving a cursor with my controller. Did they put all of the effort into making the character emote instead of gameplay and level design? The way the camera snaps around different rooms seems super clunky too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Six hours in and I've about had my fill of it, it is really boring to actually experience.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Yep. It's a gorgeous game that never changes it's gameplay in any interesting way. What you do in the first half hour you'll be doing for the rest of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Palpek posted:

watch_dogs_2 is pretty cool but my gpu's really showing its age: it can run the general world at medium/high specs, but as soon as i turn on hacker vision, i get like 5fps :v:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

The White Dragon posted:

watch_dogs_2 is pretty cool but my gpu's really showing its age: it can run the general world at medium/high specs, but as soon as i turn on hacker vision, i get like 5fps :v:

that's bizarre, i had the exact opposite experience. the game runs at like 20-30 fps normally but hackervision boosts it to 60

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Bought it on GoG as soon as it came out, plus I have it and its expansion on disc. Go play it if you haven't played it before, it's unparalleled.

SWAT 3 and 4 are amazing. Of course 3 didn't age well but it was the best tactical shooter when it came out in my opinion (and well, RainbowSix Rogue Spear). In the late 90's and early 2000's the only thing that made me stop playing UT'99 were SWAT 3 and Rogue Spear. Then I upgraded both to SWAT 4 and RainbowSix 3.

What I mean is that SWAT 4 and RainbowSix 3 aged really well in my opinion, get them!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

SWAT 3 and 4 are amazing. Of course 3 didn't age well but it was the best tactical shooter when it came out in my opinion (and well, RainbowSix Rogue Spear). In the late 90's and early 2000's the only thing that made me stop playing UT'99 were SWAT 3 and Rogue Spear. Then I upgraded both to SWAT 4 and RainbowSix 3.

What I mean is that SWAT 4 and RainbowSix 3 aged really well in my opinion, get them!
Is the single player fun? I've never played them, so I'm not sure if they are MP only.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, though they play very well with m+kb. They use sprites but with 360 movement.

Also:

Haha.

I just keep hearing good stuff about Ys I might finally play it after I finish my Ng+ of Darksouls.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Has anyone here tried out Aztez? It looks like a 2D brawler with a light strategy component. I'd try it out myself but I already splurged a bit this week.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Justin_Brett posted:

Six hours in and I've about had my fill of it, it is really boring to actually experience.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yep. It's a gorgeous game that never changes it's gameplay in any interesting way. What you do in the first half hour you'll be doing for the rest of the game.

Boy is that disappointing to hear. Also holy poo poo maybe they shouldn't have made interact with the world be the same button as pick up your companion, especially when the latter is obfuscated by another button almost instantly.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kragger99 posted:

Is the single player fun? I've never played them, so I'm not sure if they are MP only.

The singleplayer is the best way to play unless you have 7 friends to make up two full squads. These are games with highly renowned campaigns with memorable level design.

Rainbow Six 3 in particular has a planning mechanic whereby you plan every single detail of how your team are clearing through the level and you need to make a perfect plan or else your guys will die, and death is permanent. Rainbow Six 3 is a certified good game. Swat 4 has some rather chilling scenarios and levels, they make use of the law enforcement angle extremely well. Waiting until you're legally allowed to use force is tense, as is identifying friend or foe in a certain night club. Swat 4 is a brilliant game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The singleplayer is the best way to play unless you have 7 friends to make up two full squads. These are games with highly renowned campaigns with memorable level design.

Rainbow Six 3 in particular has a planning mechanic whereby you plan every single detail of how your team are clearing through the level and you need to make a perfect plan or else your guys will die, and death is permanent. Rainbow Six 3 is a certified good game. Swat 4 has some rather chilling scenarios and levels, they make use of the law enforcement angle extremely well. Waiting until you're legally allowed to use force is tense, as is identifying friend or foe in a certain night club. Swat 4 is a brilliant game.

The planning on old RainbowSix games was drat fun. Older RainbowSix games had clunky shooting but they nailed the tactical aspect, RS3 was (and still is) great in all aspects. It also has shitloads of weapons and customization to boot.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

I sure wish Owlboy was as fun to play as it was to look at. An hour in and it's been boring as hell and flying just feels like moving a cursor with my controller. Did they put all of the effort into making the character emote instead of gameplay and level design? The way the camera snaps around different rooms seems super clunky too.

Yeah, I quit after an hour or two. I was surprised the gameplay was so boring and unsatisfying considering their previous game, Savant, was kind of fun in a limited action, arcadey fashion.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kragger99 posted:

I'm not sure what the MP situation even is for SWAT 4 anymore because GameSpy, but it has a hefty chunk of SP content with two campaigns (original + expansion) to work through. It's definitely fun, but can sometimes get a bit fiddly due to the technical aspects of the game. Sometimes the hidden math decides a suspect won't surrender even after you shove a can of tear gas down his throat and tase him in the balls, he takes a shot at your squad and down goes Reynolds, you shoot him in the head in retaliation, and then you get penalized for using lethal force and also for not picking up the gun he dropped which physicsed its way into a dark corner somewhere.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SWAT 4 is amazing.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

Has anyone here tried out Aztez? It looks like a 2D brawler with a light strategy component. I'd try it out myself but I already splurged a bit this week.
It's really, really good if you like tight combat systems with a light dusting of strategic management.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Kragger99 posted:

The single player of swat 3 is really good. Rogue spear not so much

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sivek posted:

Yeah, I quit after an hour or two. I was surprised the gameplay was so boring and unsatisfying considering their previous game, Savant, was kind of fun in a limited action, arcadey fashion.

Savant is older in that it released first but owlboy has been in Development far longer and it shows

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked Owlboy well enough, but the last few levels feel like the team was just rushing to get the game done, pacing and story consistency be damned. Amongst other things, there are 3 characters, albeit minor ones, that basically disappear from the plot after a certain point

Not to mention that certain aspects of the last few reveals kinda soured me on the whole experience.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure what the MP situation even is for SWAT 4 anymore because GameSpy,

Direct Connection via ip still works, so I just pick a server from https://swat4stats.com/servers/ and input the server's ip into the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kragger99 posted:

SWAT4 single player is definitely playable and fun if you don't mind taking your time, both because the game expects you to and because you need to remember which keyboard commands to follow to tell Blue Team to split into 2 groups of 2, cover this door and that door, wedge this door closed, then both open and flashbang at the time same while you tell Red Team to do the same thing down the hall. Only somewhat of an exaggeration. It infinitely better in co-op but mostly just because its faster.

But also SWAT4 is the kind of game where you do all that above perfectly until you accidentally tell Red Team to breach the door and clear which kills a hostage and suspect, immediately failing the mission no matter what difficulty you're playing on. Then you get good at the game, put it on the hardest difficulty do everything perfectly, then the last suspect drops their gun and it clips through the floor, so now you can't secure it, and fail the mission because the hardest difficulty requires perfection.

I also can't deny that these days it can feel pretty weird playing a police simulation game, even one that idealizes what a police response should be all the time, because it's not really hard to find examples of it not happening that way at all.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
What's the difference between the original and remastered versions of Bioshock 1 & 2?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

What's the difference between the original and remastered versions of Bioshock 1 & 2?

The remastered versions look worse.

You read that right.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The remastered versions look worse.

You read that right.

Also why were they even remastered other than being a blatant money grab. Those games looked and aged fine.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The remasters also crash like hell for some people. I can't seem to get past Medical in the first one because of that.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and for the love of all that's holy, if you play SWAT 4, get a mod that rebalances what you can carry. In particular, making door wedges easier to carry than a bajillion grenades and mags that you don't actually need.

I think there might be ones that make the shotgun be slightly more threatening than a dry sneeze, too.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Bioshock 1 could use a remastered in a 'stabilized for 201x systems', but neither of them needed their looks updated.

I think so far the only good 'remaster' game has been Hard Reset.

Morter fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 2, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eh, underneath the art design Bioshock 1 has some pretty muddy UE3-ness going on. I could see the value in polishing that up to make the game look even better on modern machines. It just sounds like they failed to actually accomplish that, at least not without loving everything up in the process.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Morter posted:

Bioshock 1 could use a remastered in a 'stabilized for 201x systems', but neither of them needed their looks updated.

Depends on qualifies one as “good”, I suppose. The Baldur's Gate updates and some of the Lucasart and Resident Evil remasters were pretty good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Well, the invisible qualifier being 'of the ones I've played'. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Morter posted:

I guess it depends on whether "remastered" means "Update game for modern operating systems with bug fixes and new content," or "Re-release game from last console generation to current generation and half-rear end a cash grab PC port of it. :effort:"