Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

I don't even like Bethesda games but I disagree. They don't necessarily cater to what you, Cleretic, want but that doesn't mean that they don't cater to what the average modern Bethesda game fan likes. Remember, most players don't ever touch the sliders at character creation and just run with the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't mess with most of the sliders because 90% of them in Skyrim at least were facial adjustments and it's a loving first person game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I don't even like Bethesda games but I disagree. They don't necessarily cater to what you, Cleretic, want but that doesn't mean that they don't cater to what the average modern Bethesda game fan likes. Remember, most players don't ever touch the sliders at character creation and just run with the default.

I mean aren't you sort of saying that they spend alot of time making something that only 10% of people will use? So they aren't catering what the average fan wants?

To me the elder scrolls games always seemed like bethesda just kinda throws poo poo at a wall and because most of it takes place in an open world people are happy enough with it. They seem unfocused and not particularly interesting with a wide general sense of purpose but the people who like that sort of thing aren't particular.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RyokoTK posted:

I don't mess with most of the sliders because 90% of them in Skyrim at least were facial adjustments and it's a loving first person game.

You can play in third person, dude.

Also why do people keep insisting on turning this into a third 'complain about games' thread, isn't two enough

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

What I'm saying is that Cleretic (and a few other goons) who insist that giving your character a backstory in Fallout 4 was a huge misstep that the average fan didn't like are confusing what they like for what is popular.

I actually don't really like much of anything Bethesda puts out because it all feels a mile wide and an inch deep to me. However I'm not conflating that with everyone or even most video game players feeling that way.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

ITT once again goons adamantly insist that their opinion is the One True Opinion and assume that all other Goons agree with them.

The best part of any Bethesda game is internet hipsters hating on it before it was cool.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

flatluigi posted:

You can play in third person, dude.

Where the camera will be facing the characters back 99% of the time.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Taerkar posted:

ITT once again goons adamantly insist that their opinion is the One True Opinion and assume that all other Goons agree with them.

The best part of any Bethesda game is internet hipsters hating on it before it was cool.

I think that all goons will agree with my opinion: all games are ultimately good.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I love the loading screen in Friday the 13th that pretty much just :goonsay:s about how it's actually "Ki Ma" and not "Chi Ma"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Superman 64 says you are wrong Goon Sir!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Jesus christ can we please just ban Bethesda chat from this thread like they used to do with Dark Souls.

Nope, and Im going to reply with things I like in Fallout 4!

Im going to commit goon heresy and admit that I just got Fallout 4 on my birthday, and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it, especially:

1.) Nick Valentine. I don't know why they included other companions in Fallout 4, because if I didn't have the unlimited companions mod I'd never use them in favor of my Robot Gumshoe buddy.
Seriously, look at him:

Bad-rear end.

2.) The enemies have AI. I was pleasantly surprised to see human NPCs (and equivalent) actually taking cover.

3.) Nick Valentine seriously needs his own series of Telltale adventure games.

4.) The Settlement stuff is fun as hell, although I ended up just cheating in a bunch of materials. Reminds me a bit of Actraiser.

5.) They made my favorite New Vegas mod - Robco Certified- into actual DLC - Automatron. There's even a little nod to RobCo Certified on one of the terminals in the DLC's dungeon.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Nick Valentine is good. It physically pains me to admit anything in a bethesda fallout game is good but it's true.

I also really liked the ultra uncomfortable radio announcer and I wish I could undo his quest because he was WAY more entertaining before he turned into this hip and happening DJ. He went from a really underdog charm to a plain boring by-the-numbers DJ.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sure, let's talk about nice things. Here's one from Final Fantasy XIV. The collector's edition of the latest expansion includes as a pet a wind-up toy based on Bartz, the protagonist of FFV. The description references the original translation of his name used by the fan-translation from the 90s.

quote:

The legend of Bartz and his trusty chocobo Boko is known far and wide, their journeys inspiring entire generations to adventure. Though, disagreement as to the appropriate spelling of the carefree youth's name has led to many a hurt butz.

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Fallout 4 is alright. Skyrim is alright. Bethesda is fine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
LONG LIVE BUTZ

Bethdasa is shoddy garbage that is allowed to be garbage because they know modders will fix everything that should have been caught in QA.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Also in FF14 -

Once you beat the initial main story 'A Realm Reborn' also know as '2.0' you have a whole bunch of main quest to do that was released in-between the ARR release and Heavensward before you can actually access any of the Heavensward content. This is sometimes called the '2.x' quests, after their patches.

Most of it is pointless busywork with the occasional cool fight and dungeon. Like, there are 101 main story 2.x quests, and 184 ARR main story quests.

However, as a 'bonus', also giving access to some cool stuff is the 'Hildibrand' quests. These aren't required at all, and rightly so, but they have proper cutscenes in them and somehow whichever team worked on these had way more time to work on these scenes and put all manner of goofy poo poo into them, so it's great that they exist to break up the 2.x drudgery.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Nick Valentine is awesome, but every time he's on screen that little still-connected patch of robo-skin between his face and chest bothers the poo poo out of me.

Cleretic posted:

Hence why their later games struggle to cater to it, either placing too much specific character into the protagonist that can be at odds with how the player wants to play it (Fallout 4), or more subtly, with things like unconsciously guiding players towards certain prescriptive playstyles (Skyrim, but Fallout 4's got this to lesser degrees).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'certain prescriptive playstyles', but outside of neo-NMA sorts, most people weren't complaining about being a specific character - if anything, most were praising the specificity of character in how it connects the player to the world of the game in a real and natural way. It was a selling point for the game, not something they hid in the corner.

If not a "little thing", I'd list it as an example of Bethesda knowing what their audience wants to have in their games. They were able to read their audience in such a way that they knew would enjoy having a greater specificity of character, so they did it.

Unrelated, another really neat thing about that Creativerse game I was talking about : the teleport system is rather clever. Instead of just naming or punching in some text to connect two teleporters together, instead it uses codes based on three blocks / items you put into it. For example, I can tell the game that a teleporter in a distant jungle is Jungle Tree Block / Jungle Mob Drop / Jungle Floor Block. As long as I have one of each of those items, I can tell any other teleporter I create to send me to that portal. It's definitely a little thing, but it's kinda charming.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I guess the idea was that you have the soul of a dragon so when you die, good luck to any god who comes collecting

I have about fifty souls of dragons. Every god who I promised my soul to can have one. Hell, have three!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Agents are GO! posted:

Nope, and Im going to reply with things I like in Fallout 4!

Im going to commit goon heresy and admit that I just got Fallout 4 on my birthday, and I'm enjoying the gently caress out of it, especially:

1.) Nick Valentine. I don't know why they included other companions in Fallout 4, because if I didn't have the unlimited companions mod I'd never use them in favor of my Robot Gumshoe buddy.
Seriously, look at him:

Bad-rear end.

If there had to be one companion, I'd take Dogmeat over Nick any day. He is such a good boy.
Being able to dress Dogmeat is the best thing of any Fallout game.

Of course it would of been nice had Bethseda actually been able to implement taking dogmeat and another follower with you like they planned (I think?) - that way you could have your dog in goggles thrashing a teddy bear on one side of the room, and Nick roasting The Brotherhood of Steel on the other.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

scarycave posted:

Yes! I might actually have to buy skyrim now. But I don't really have time for big open world games.
I know a lot of people poo poo on Bethesda because of how buggy their games can get or really bad design choices, but sometimes it's just funny and you can't hate it.

Paying them money to see the lovely bugs may be part of the reason that they keep releasing average games.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

bethesda is very good at the Lowest Common Denominator and as such sells a lotta games

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've been getting back into Warframe because I want to at least finish the story quests and have all of the planets unlocked before the big update comes in a few months, and there are two specific things I want to mention:

One is that the progression system in the game is heavily tied into trying out as much different equipment as possible, so even if I spend some time grinding I'm using new guns and stuff.

Another is that I caught a disease that made my Tenno grow a big cyst on its neck. I was then allowed to drain the cyst into my space dog incubator. This gave me a dog with tentacles growing out of its back and a hosed up worm face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Sure, let's talk about nice things. Here's one from Final Fantasy XIV. The collector's edition of the latest expansion includes as a pet a wind-up toy based on Bartz, the protagonist of FFV. The description references the original translation of his name used by the fan-translation from the 90s.

It's actually not a fan translation but one of those English/Japanese differences like Terra and Tina. They changed it for obvious reasons but for example if you play Dissidia in the Japanese version their name pops up in English text different from the English text in the English version.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tardcore posted:

Where the camera will be facing the characters back 99% of the time.

A whole lot of cinematic kills in Skyrim too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Figured I'd just pop in to say I managed those last two achievements in Toy Story 3, getting to Zurgs lair without dying and rescuing all the characters at Sunnyside prison without raising a single alarm. YAY! 1000/1000. Don't normally care but they were the last two so I thought... gently caress it! Why not!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually not a fan translation but one of those English/Japanese differences like Terra and Tina. They changed it for obvious reasons but for example if you play Dissidia in the Japanese version their name pops up in English text different from the English text in the English version.

So its "Butts Closer" when translated properly?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At the very beginning of Just Cause 3 Rico is using the grappling hook from Just Cause 2. I like that they put in the effort to have a separate model for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Twitch posted:

I've been getting back into Warframe because I want to at least finish the story quests and have all of the planets unlocked before the big update comes in a few months, and there are two specific things I want to mention:

One is that the progression system in the game is heavily tied into trying out as much different equipment as possible, so even if I spend some time grinding I'm using new guns and stuff.

Another is that I caught a disease that made my Tenno grow a big cyst on its neck. I was then allowed to drain the cyst into my space dog incubator. This gave me a dog with tentacles growing out of its back and a hosed up worm face.

scarycave posted:

If there had to be one companion, I'd take Dogmeat over Nick any day. He is such a good boy.

Of course it would of been nice had Bethseda actually been able to implement taking dogmeat and another follower with you like they planned (I think?) - that way you could have your dog in goggles thrashing a teddy bear on one side of the room, and Nick roasting The Brotherhood of Steel on the other.

My favorite thing about DogMeat in 4 is that he's immortal so he can clear minefields for me.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

scarycave posted:

So they just didn't think of asking Obsidian how they did being able to take a humanoid companion & robot or dog?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Testekill posted:

So they just didn't think of asking Obsidian how they did being able to take a humanoid companion & robot or dog?

You better back off or I'll start posting about how good Fallout 4 actually is

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Multiple mods allow you to have more than one companion, so unless they do it as a game play design choice I can't imagine what holds them back.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Testekill posted:

From what I've heard the companion system had some kind of problem having them both running alongside each other despite dogmeat having his own follower variables.
I think this is why dogmeat doesn't effect that one perk where you get some bonus when your alone because he's separate from the other followers.

But at the same time I also remember reading something about it being intentional to make the game more "challenging".

I mean, I don't know if asking Obsidian would have done much since things have changed from New Vegas (which was just fallout 3 basically - a game where bethseda had no problem doing two followers) or if they normally ask each other stuff about games.

For Content:
Got Pikmin 2 off the Wii-U shop, only other game I've played in the series is 3, and I like that the pikmin seem to be humming the luigi's mansion theme when your underground.

scarycave has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Aug 3, 2017

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MisterBibs posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'certain prescriptive playstyles', but outside of neo-NMA sorts, most people weren't complaining about being a specific character - if anything, most were praising the specificity of character in how it connects the player to the world of the game in a real and natural way. It was a selling point for the game, not something they hid in the corner.

I think he's referring to the dragons with that. Fighting dragons as a melee- or magic-focused character loving sucks until you get the shout that forces dragons to land. Magic can be used on dragons in flight, but leading the shots can be incredibly difficult to do reliably. In almost all cases, archery is going to be the ideal method of dealing with a not insignificant part of the game, which is a weird way to design a game that has "player choice" as a primary selling point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

From what I've heard the companion system had some kind of problem having them both running alongside each other despite dogmeat having his own follower variables.
I think this is why dogmeat doesn't effect that one perk where you get some bonus when your alone because he's separate from the other followers.

But at the same time I also remember reading something about it being intentional to make the game more "challenging".

I mean, I don't know if asking Obsidian would have done much since things have changed from New Vegas (which was just fallout 3 basically - a game where bethseda had no problem doing two followers) or if they normally ask each other stuff about games.

For Content:
Got Pikmin 2 off the Wii-U shop, only other game I've played in the series is 3, and I like that the pikmin seem to be humming the luigi's mansion theme when your underground.

Just a bit of advice; Don't be afraid to savescum in caves if something eats/crushes/cooks half your Pikmin in one shot, the game quicksaves at the start of each floor.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Twitch posted:

What the gently caress am I playing Destiny for?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Vic posted:

You better back off or I'll start posting about how good Fallout 4 actually is

Almost as good as New Vegas?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

For Content:
Pikmin 2 is still the best pikmin and oh man you don't even know the half of it yet.
Pro-pikmin 2 strats, abandon your pikmin. Just leave them at the dungeon entrance and become the punchlord. You got two dudes, go clear the whole dungeon with one guy while the other guy just herds your pikmin. Having your pilot actually be useful outside of just throwing pikmin around was really fun and I love it.

Also I love how tense the boss battles get. It was a very well put together game and I need to play it again now.

How! posted:

What the gently caress am I playing Destiny for?

To prepare you for Destiny 2 obviously.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I hate all of Bethesda's games and that's why I buy them all and play all of them for hours and hours.

Check out these little penguin guys in Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Those look way too much like Gunther from Adventure Time for it to be a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

samu3lk posted:

I hate all of Bethesda's games and that's why I buy them all and play all of them for hours and hours.

Yeah, I honestly think a lot of the Beth-hate is basically "Man, this game does not hold up past the 600 hour mark :rolleyes:", especially for people who make mods for the game.

I think it was goon modder The Iron Rose who said something like "I'd update my mod but the thought of actually playing Fallout 4 again makes me want to die."