Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

LethalGeek posted:

The goal in zones is to stay alive as much as possible so stop playing death match in it

suction bombs to fend off the hordes and ink armor to foil their flanks for days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Splat Zones in Moray Towers can be especially daunting for the team on the losing side, since it can take some time getting down from the top. But that's just underlines the importance of super jumping, so either start thinking for the team or invest in beakons.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
play TDM in all modes especially ranked

can't take the objective if you dead

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just tried Tower Control for the first time basically since it was introduced back in the first game, after having a miserable time with it and hating it.

I went 6-2 and got bumped from C- straight up to B. Uh... why did I hate this mode again? Oh right, probably because I didn't have my baby the Slosher.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

Splat Zones in Moray Towers can be especially daunting for the team on the losing side, since it can take some time getting down from the top. But that's just underlines the importance of super jumping, so either start thinking for the team or invest in beakons.

No, it's entirely a question of which team has Chargers. They will shut down entire Splat Zone rounds on that map without fail. When the zones were on the first-tier rise for the first Splatoon, all they could do was protect the zone on their tower.

Edit: Also the only place Super Jumping will ever put you in Moray Towers is in the pit. At the mercy of every Bad Guy on the first rise or in the put with you.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 2, 2017

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

OK never doing that again, rather play turf war than that garbage.

I ranked up even but it was not fun. It's just endless back and forth forever plus yeah an e liter can still reach across the platform and lock everything down. The new rails are more of a death trap than helpful.

Bad map still very bad.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 2, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I still don't understand why they brought back moray towers out of all the maps they could have

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Maybe the devs only play Chargers on their free time

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Had my first Mothership today after reaching Overachiever, it's a really fun event! Does it always happen at high tide?

Still haven't seen the gusher event yet. I hate the .96 Gal in Salmon Run.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Japanese like their gimmick builds that are effective until you get pushed out of your groove then they tend to fall apart. Chargers who get bumped off the high ground become mostly dead weight etc. That map really supports that kinda nonsense so they can have it.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

You can knock the sniper off their perch on Moray fairly easily if you swing left, go into their rail, and then bunny hop from the rail throwing subs or shooting before landing back in the rail. Hard for them to shoot up accurately like that. Hell, attacking the zones from those rails is solid. The backdoor rail is a trap if anyone is on the platform - you can have complete tunnel vision and still have tons of warning. Going on the side piece just off the ramp, though, gets you into functionally the same spot without the SHOOT ME announcement. You can also just swing around the far side but any decent charger will check that way, but at least you'll force him to change position or keep his eye on you.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Weird that everyone is so anti-Towers cause Academy in Splat Zones in my personal hell. I almost never see my team try and take that high ground.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Here's a spoiler for y'all: mayo sucks and is going to lose

not if i can help it

which i can't because i'm traveling halfway across the world that weekend and most likely won't have time to play

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

You can knock the sniper off their perch on Moray fairly easily if you swing left, go into their rail, and then bunny hop from the rail throwing subs or shooting before landing back in the rail. Hard for them to shoot up accurately like that. Hell, attacking the zones from those rails is solid. The backdoor rail is a trap if anyone is on the platform - you can have complete tunnel vision and still have tons of warning. Going on the side piece just off the ramp, though, gets you into functionally the same spot without the SHOOT ME announcement. You can also just swing around the far side but any decent charger will check that way, but at least you'll force him to change position or keep his eye on you.

The problem with all that now I'm occupied doing that nearly exclusively for the match which still puts my team on the defensive the several seconds to get there, assuming they can stay alive long enough so the person doesn't see me coming. It's just stupid, so no thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed that Rainmaker is the best or would be if anyone knew how to actually play it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Moray Towers was one of the fan favorites in the vote at the end of Splatoon1 - like it or not.

It's different, and that's good.

edit: variety is good. I'm not a huge fan of Moray Towers, but each time they've added stuff to it it's gotten better.

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 2, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LethalGeek posted:

The Japanese like their gimmick builds that are effective until you get pushed out of your groove then they tend to fall apart. Chargers who get bumped off the high ground become mostly dead weight etc. That map really supports that kinda nonsense so they can have it.

I mean bad meatgrinder maps are always the most popular with whatever shooter community. See Nuketown for CoD, 2fort for TF2, Metro for BF3, etc

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I feel like such a weird outcast because I love Moray Towers. It's really fun ducking between all the different levels, especially with the added rails.

I win a lot on it :shobon:.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I like moray towers in ranked

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'll be honest and say I like Moray Towers in Rainmaker, I dislike the amount of swimming required to get to where the action is if it's too dangerous to superjump

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Skate park is a different map that's good. Towers is not.

Any maps that are narrow just don't work for this game. Port got better being wider. Towers still loads everyone into a small area and then things turn to crap. This was a problem with rig too. Underpass got made better by opening it up. Mall was always garbage tier for a reason. And on and on.

If bad people like towers cause it let's them act good for a bit cause they get to take advantage of bad design then hey good for them.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

Skate park is a different map that's good. Towers is not.

Any maps that are narrow just don't work for this game. Port got better being wider. Towers still loads everyone into a small area and then things turn to crap. This was a problem with rig too. Underpass got made better by opening it up. Mall was always garbage tier for a reason. And on and on.

If bad people like towers cause it let's them act good for a bit cause they get to take advantage of bad design then hey good for them.

Lol what are you even talking about

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Why can't you grind on top of rails in multiplayer like you can in single?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Look at all the new maps. There's no real spot near the middle that's not accessible from both sides. Tower has long had the double problem of being way high and not accessible from the right side. The ink rails are a bandaid to fix this and in practice its pretty so so as a solution.

The new maps if you're gonna play charger or splatling you have to be watching your flank a lot more cause you are easier to get at. Tower you can settle right in and be mediocre with protecting yourself and still do well. Did this with the splatling in this cycle and I'm horrible up close with that thing. But I was mostly able to cover my butt and just spray the zones to my hearts content and annoy everyone on the other team to no end.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Holy poo poo, gently caress stage 19 with anything but the blaster. Sure is fun trying to do that ridiculous grapple section with grenades only.

Edit: ignore me, you can just shoot anyway :derp:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

In Training posted:

I still don't understand why they brought back moray towers out of all the maps they could have

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/splatoon-results-votes-last-splatfest-maps/

It was the #1 voted for map in the US and Europe for the final Splatfest, #4 in Japan, and #2 in other regions. On the other hand, Port Mackerel didn't show up on any of the top five lists.

I read that there is supposedly text in the game files referencing all maps in the first game except Mahi-Mahi Resort. Who knows, maybe in the end we'll get most (if not all) of the old maps back.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Had my first Mothership today after reaching Overachiever, it's a really fun event! Does it always happen at high tide?

Mothership can happen at normal and low tide too. Low Tide in the Spawning Grounds is the trickiest since it still uses a good amount of the regular tide area to drop off boxes, but the others arent too bad if your team is on top of things.

Gusher event can be tricky on the third wave without some luck. You either need to find the Goldie fast or hold off on attacking it until it's closer to the basket.

Edit: I think the Cohock Wave is also Overaachiever+. As long when manning the cannon you pay attention to Flyfish, Maws and Stingers, it's not bad (similarily, if someone is using the cannon at the top of the stage, keep track of who's alive so you can tell when they need rescuing). Just make sure someone is always manning a cannon.

tap my mountain posted:

Why can't you grind on top of rails in multiplayer like you can in single?

The Grind Rails in Single Player let you ride on top of them, but you also travel on them at a fixed speed and they're one-way. It would be even easier picking for Chargers.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 2, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Frankston posted:

Holy poo poo, gently caress stage 19 with anything but the blaster. Sure is fun trying to do that ridiculous grapple section with grenades only.

Edit: ignore me, you can just shoot anyway :derp:
As long as you hold forward the whole time you should have enough reach.

There's a later stage where you gotta ride a moving gusher and hit a grapple with a bomb and it's miserable though. I know they rebalanced the stages slightly based on your weapon but it's still pretty bad sometimes.

I got all the lore and unlocked the replica herobrush and that's probably the last I'll touch singleplayer for a while until they release the shotty.

I do love how there's one level very clearly designed with speed running in mind. Give me more levels like that.

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 2, 2017

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Bill Barber posted:

As long as you hold forward the whole time you should have enough reach.

There's a later stage where you gotta ride a moving gusher and hit a grapple with a bomb and it's miserable though. I know they rebalanced the stages slightly based on your weapon but it's still pretty bad sometimes.

Those things are the worst thing about single player. Why yes I love standing around for 5 minutes waiting for the lovely AI to make it's way over to me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The umbrella level kinda sucks, specifically that bit where you have to throw a well timed bomb at the fan then quickly jump off the opposite side

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GI_Clutch posted:

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/splatoon-results-votes-last-splatfest-maps/

It was the #1 voted for map in the US and Europe for the final Splatfest, #4 in Japan, and #2 in other regions. On the other hand, Port Mackerel didn't show up on any of the top five lists.

I read that there is supposedly text in the game files referencing all maps in the first game except Mahi-Mahi Resort. Who knows, maybe in the end we'll get most (if not all) of the old maps back.

how the hell did the skatepark get top 5 on all of them

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Frankston posted:

Those things are the worst thing about single player. Why yes I love standing around for 5 minutes waiting for the lovely AI to make it's way over to me.

You know they prioritize fresh ink right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Frankston posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't understand

The .96 gal is ridiculously good

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

tap my mountain posted:

You know they prioritize fresh ink right?
They're still awful.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/rxrm80/status/892819989882785792
Drawing with the touch pen is rather awkward, I wish there were sharper pens like the Wii U stylus that would work.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Played against the most ridiculous sniper in ranked just now. He kept wiping our team and would toss the most accurate splat bombs at me whenever I tried to sneak up on him.

It was humiliating but I have to respect his skill.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I thought we were supposed to be able to change our weapons between matches in Splatoon 2? What happened to that?

And why did they get rid of Squid Jump?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've seriously never seen a team-based thing where people were so focused on anything other than the objective/actually playing as a team than Rainmaker

They all seem to think working as a team is code for all going everywhere together and getting splatted all at once

Or ignoring the Rainmaker/person with the Rainmaker and running off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Astro7x posted:

I thought we were supposed to be able to change our weapons between matches in Splatoon 2? What happened to that?

And why did they get rid of Squid Jump?

For some reason you could only do so if you were playing with friends during the pre-release Splatfest. I hope they patch it in for everything.

I miss Squid Jump too. I think Marie even says she misses it during the campaign.