Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Idk I'll take the possibility of Greinke bombs over having to play a postseason series at Coors gd Field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Santana with a CG W today. Dude is having a pretty decent season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Idk I'll take the possibility of Greinke bombs over having to play a postseason series at Coors gd Field
:same:

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Preach

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Grenkie's whole gimmick the past two years has been pitching like poo poo against the Dodgers.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

The Cubs entered the second half 5.5 games back of the division lead. If they'd fallen 8 games back, they would have become sellers.

Bullet dodged :sweatdrop:

“If we had fallen eight, nine out, we would have certainly been looking at considering moving some of the players who were rentals,”

Looking at considering lol.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Good Dog posted:

Do they use the same doctor or something?

haha

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

“If we had fallen eight, nine out, we would have certainly been looking at considering moving some of the players who were rentals,”

Yeah I doubt they would have actually blown the team up. More like they might have considered trading Schwarber.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought Grenkie's whole gimmick the past two years has been pitching like poo poo against the Dodgers.
He's made 4 starts against the Dodgers since leaving for Arizona. He's 1-3 with a 6.35 ERA, 20 K, 9 BB, 6 HR in 22.2 IP. Three of those games came last year when he was struggling everywhere, but he did get knocked around in his one start vs LA this year.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Just what even are the Braves doing with 3B

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The shittiest part about the postseason is how easily the better team can hit a stretch of cold bats or face a streaky opponent at a hot time and be bounced out long before they should have. Hell, even last year the 103 win Cubs were:

- Down 5-2 in the 9th in Game 4 and would have needed to win G5 at home against Cueto, who they only beat 1-0 in G1 on top of the massive pressure
- Down 2-1 after two consecutive shutouts by Kershaw and Hill
- Up 3-2 going home for G6 of the NLCS but staring down Kershaw and potentially Hill on normal rest
- Down 3-1 to the Indians having been shut out twice and scoring a grand total of 7 runs in the first 4 games (giving birth to the 'The Cubs have the same shot as Trump' 538 article)
- Everything in Game 7 from the bottom of the 8th onward

There's a decent chance that both Colorado and Arizona own the 2nd and 3rd best records in the NL come October and top seeds in both divisions have only gone 5-5 in LDS series since the wild card play-in started in 2012.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

The shittiest part about the postseason is how easily the better team can hit a stretch of cold bats or face a streaky opponent at a hot time and be bounced out long before they should have.

Since the Wild Card was introduced in 1995, the team with the best regular season record has won the World Series only 5 of 22 times. 1998 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox (tied), 2009 Yankees, 2013 Red Sox (tied), and 2016 Cubs.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Someone mentioned Maddux earlier and it got me to thinking back when I was younger, when I would be out with my friends in the neighborhood on a Saturday night, and come in at around 9:30 hoping to watch some Braves baseball on TBS and turn on to see the game over, Braves won 2-1, Maddux with an 85 pitch, 2 hour and 15 minute game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I mean there was never going to be a full rebuild, but it sounds like there was serious consideration of essentially giving up on this season and selling off the rental guys (Davis, Arrieta, Jay, Uehara, Duensing), none of whom would have brought in top-tier prospects but would have helped replenish the farm a bit in the wake of the Quintana trade.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Since the Wild Card was introduced in 1995, the team with the best regular season record has won the World Series only 5 of 22 times. 1998 Yankees, 2007 Red Sox (tied), 2009 Yankees, 2013 Red Sox (tied), and 2016 Cubs.

2013 was guaranteed to have the best record win that year though.

loving Ortiz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Hey is unblock.us still a viable option for getting around MLB.tv blackouts? I let my subscription expire when Netflix implemented their ban on IP spoofers, but I need to figure out a way to watch the playoffs.

MLB.tv is cracking down harder and harder on VPNs and IP spoofing. They ban accounts without warning. Probably not worth it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Woops wrong thread.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Did you guys know that Pittsburgh Pirates is actually an anagram of "Miserable Bunch of Clown-Dick Fuckups?"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It's a good thing the Braves aren't playing in October this year

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I want Bob Nutting to meet a very Mussolini end, especially with the parts involving baseball bats.

I'm sorry if this is a little dark, but god this team and its ownership/management is infuriating

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nice thread title! I like it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

It was cool though after spending until the day I could legally drink losing the Pirates spent 3 years playing 8 playoff games until going back to sucking and losing for probably the next 20 years of my life.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ALFbrot posted:

Did you guys know that Pittsburgh Pirates is actually an anagram of "Miserable Bunch of Clown-Dick Fuckups?"

It's actually an anagram for "Pig poo poo Butt Rapers" :eng101:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

I wil forever hate Michael Wacha, Madison Bumgarner, and Jake Arrieta to the day I'm killed by the great acid hurricane of 2077

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Popete posted:

Yeah I doubt they would have actually blown the team up. More like they might have considered trading Schwarber.

They probably wouldn't have trade Schwarbs. But Arrietta, Wade Davis, and anyone else with an expiring contract would be gone.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

It's a good thing the Braves aren't playing in October this year

Atlanta Braves: LA Dodgers killers

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

CubsWoo posted:

The shittiest part about the postseason is how easily the better team can hit a stretch of cold bats or face a streaky opponent at a hot time and be bounced out long before they should have. Hell, even last year the 103 win Cubs were:

The 98 win Angels got bounced in 3 games against the 89 win Royals. The first 2 games went into extras, 3rd wasn't particularly competitive. The Royals outfield that series played like there were 6 guys out there, every play was a miraculous diving catch after the next.

Getting cold and coasting into the playoffs, playing with 3 days off because of the WCG is a blessing if you've got injury/rest concerns, but it seems to gently caress up bats a bit.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kensei posted:

Santana with a CG W today. Dude is having a pretty decent season.

Providing his own offense during interleague games, too. I was pissed when he got popped for PEDs right after signing, but I'll be damned if he's not pitching his rear end off these days.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a stat for how all position players pitched during a particular season? I feel like their numbers are not as terrible as we'd expect.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

Atlanta Braves: LA Dodgers killers
That's twice now the Braves have ended a 9+ game Dodgers win streak... in the span of less than a month!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Someone mentioned Maddux earlier and it got me to thinking back when I was younger, when I would be out with my friends in the neighborhood on a Saturday night, and come in at around 9:30 hoping to watch some Braves baseball on TBS and turn on to see the game over, Braves won 2-1, Maddux with an 85 pitch, 2 hour and 15 minute game.

ERA isn't the greatest stat but it's still kinda fun to scan through this list and look for seasons since Bob Gibson broke the game and they raised the mound. Or really for any seasons since like 1920, there are only a few from the sixties in there.

Unless I'm missing someone these are the top single season ERAs since the mound was raised and the rank vs overall top single season ERA..

42. Doc Gooden 1.529 1985
48. Greg Maddux 1.559 1994
65. Greg Maddux 1.631 1995
75. Zack Greinke 1.657 2015
83. Nolan Ryan 1.691 1981

Pedro in 2000 just missed the top 100 at #107.

This started out as a Maddux was really good post but then I got sidetracked. So I'll just say Maddux was real loving good.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they weren't loving around when they said sammy looks different now

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I love that they got Palmiero right.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Rafael AT&T broke the race barrier for human manifestations of corporate entities

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Could the pictures be right if the question was most hits by a foreign born player? I'm not good enough with faces to recognize whoever is above Pujols and Ramirez's names. Ichiro, Palmiero and Clemente all went for over 3000 hits though (or exactly 3000).

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Grittybeard posted:

Could the pictures be right if the question was most hits by a foreign born player? I'm not good enough with faces to recognize whoever is above Pujols and Ramirez's names. Ichiro, Palmiero and Clemente all went for over 3000 hits though (or exactly 3000).

Carew and Beltre, respectively.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Grittybeard posted:

Sammy Sosa = Ichiro Suzuki
Albert Pujols = Rod Carew
Rafael AT&T = Rafael Palmeiro
Manny Ramirez = Adrian Beltre
David Ortiz = Roberto Clemente

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Sammy Sosa = Ichiro Suzuki
Albert Pujols = Rod Carew
Rafael AT&T = Rafael Palmeiro
Manny Ramirez = Adrian Beltre
David Ortiz = Roberto Clemente

Huh, so that is probably correct as a picture lineup of the most hits by foreign born players? Also in order, Ichiro's at 3060, Carew had 3053, Palmiero 3020, Beltre at 3001+, Clemente 3000.

No other foreign born player had more did they?

Also I'm a big dummy for not recognizing Beltre. I think maybe it's because he doesn't have a huge smile or a huge scowl which are the two ways I'm used to seeing him.

vv--yeah I knew the homers were correct by name, I wasn't sure on the hits because I didn't recognize everyone

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Grittybeard posted:

Pictures left to right are "Hits by foreign player" and the names are "Homers by foreign player"

• Locked thread