Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

joat mon posted:

Maybe they were unbolting it to do a body lift and used a little to much English on a stuck bolt?

I'm sorry old chap, but would you mind terribly just coming a little bit undone so I can remove you? Jolly good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

From another place I saw this posted:

quote:

The person that took this picture contacted us with the real story. Customer came in for an insurance frame swap. Mechanic threw a few body mount bolts in it loosely and lifted it up to put the rest in and tighten. The frame dropped out from under it and drug the body down with it nearly crushing two employees. Nobody got hurt and the customer and dealership owner took a walk through the lot in search of a new Tahoe.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on my experience putting things together, if he only put in a few bolts and put the whole thing under load, how did he expect to get the rest of the bolts in?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus gently caress. OSHA is gonna have a loving field day with that one (assuming someone has the balls to report that).

So how much would be salvageable from that? I assume the frame is Fukt, body itself is probably tweaked to hell (not to mention the wiring damage unless everything was already unplugged), but the running gear, interior bits, and glass are probably good, right?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So how much would be salvageable from that? I assume the frame is Fukt, body itself is probably tweaked to hell (not to mention the wiring damage unless everything was already unplugged), but the running gear, interior bits, and glass are probably good, right?

Bolt it back together, list at an auction, job done.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

DropShadow posted:

From another place I saw this posted:

So if the frame "dropped out from under it" while it was lifted, looks like they did indeed somehow lift it by the body. Probably unbolted the old frame, had the body on the lift arms, lifted the body off the old frame, then dropped it over the new frame, then when he wanted to lift the whole thing to finish reinstalling the other mounts he didn't reposition the lift arms under the new frame, leaving them only touching the body from the previous maneuver. That sort of makes sense, but holy hell that's a scary mistake to make.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cojawfee posted:

Based on my experience putting things together, if he only put in a few bolts and put the whole thing under load, how did he expect to get the rest of the bolts in?

Yeah this is my question. I've done a couple dozen body mount replacements over the years, and this doesn't make sense to me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dealer mechanics... incompetent?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Godholio posted:

Yeah this is my question. I've done a couple dozen body mount replacements over the years, and this doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, that explanation seems rather suspect. More likely is that they were trying to use the hoist to lift the body itself off the frame and screwed it up.

Cars do occasionally fall off lifts, usually for dumb, easily mitigated reasons. It's best just to admit it and move on rather than make up a lame cover story.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
Looks like it bent the top of the lift too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Enourmo posted:

Dealer mechanics... incompetent?

management knew

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that explanation seems rather suspect. More likely is that they were trying to use the hoist to lift the body itself off the frame and screwed it up.

Cars do occasionally fall off lifts, usually for dumb, easily mitigated reasons. It's best just to admit it and move on rather than make up a lame cover story.

Yeah, Sears Auto dropped my dad's coworker's truck off of a lift and then tried to tell him they weren't legally responsible because ~*~reasons~*~. That approach did not go over so well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus gently caress. OSHA is gonna have a loving field day with that one (assuming someone has the balls to report that).

Send it to Russia. Six days later it will be sold as new.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Vanagoon posted:

This seems like a good time to post Audi UFO brakes again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g2s_xX3nmw&t=53s

All I can imagine while watching that video is how many times I would gently caress up and knock that outer brake pad off while trying to put the disc in. I'm swearing and throwing imaginary wrenches in my dream garage just thinking about it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Dude lives dangerously, starting lug bolts with the impact wrench.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Finally started tearing apart the turbo Honda engine that I bought from some stoners a few years ago. Should probably start a Honda thread, but I think you'll all agree it belongs here.

The engine is a D16Y7 with a D16Y8 head on it, to give it the ancient magic of VTEC. When I bought it, it came with a good-sized storage bin worth of other turbo poo poo and have gradually taken parts off of it as it's been sitting in a tire on Slung's floor. As you can see, there's a lot to replace and change before I can put it back together and put it into my Civic.

The guys who sold it to me swore up and down that it has new Vitara pistons in it (which seems plausible) along with Eagle rods and some other stuff. Basically your average early-2000s "built D-series," though technology has moved on quite a bit since then and I understand now that the Vitara pistons are no longer the path to big power due to their low compression ratio. It has a lot of ARP fasteners which tells me whoever built it had a lot of money. Casting flash and a bunch of other little annoyances aren't really cleaned off this block, which tells me they weren't particularly detail-oriented.

Whoever built the engine dumped it on these guys because a ball joint failed on the car it was in and he decided to get rid of the entire car in one shot. It was running a Greddy e-Manage piggyback on a P2P OBD2 ECU which seems vaguely ridiculous to me. It came with a transmission of "some kind" that had a broken shift linkage attached.

There's a lot of nickle-and-dime poo poo to fix on this motor; a lot of sensors are broken. I also owe this engine a bunch of parts because when something like a reverse sensor or a vacuum plug has broken on my daily-driver D15B7 Civic I've yanked it off this engine.

Off comes the oil pan. We discovered the legend of Roddy's Copper. Big flakes :(

The turbo that came with it (a "Garrett M24" according to the housing, which means nothing) has some mild axial shaft play. There's no lateral shaft play, though I am questioning the integrity of the water seals inside the turbo. I was going to dismantle the turbo next and measure the wheels until I started looking into this motor. I'm guessing this is actually a terrible Chinacharger of some kind because there's no serial number on the housing that I could use to ask Garrett what this thing actually is.

Now is probably the right time to change all those annoying hoses on the underside of the intake manifold, huh?

Almost impossible to take a picture of this, but the cam was wiped in a few spots.

The #3 rockers were also pretty loose side-to-side, not sure if that's normal or not. I'll try rotating the engine to see if that goes away under load or if I need a new head.

The most worrying part is that when we flipped it back over and pulled the valve cover, we found a bonus head nut just lying around. I'm guessing whoever 'built' this engine lost a nut inside here and then just grabbed another one off the shelf instead of looking for it. Good thing this didn't clog an oil passage or destroy a valve spring or something.

I think for starters, I'm going to bolt this thing back up and try to do a compression test on the stand. Never done that on an engine this big before.

Not sure what the plan is here. If the rockers are hosed I'm probably going to need to pull another junkyard VTEC head and then see if I can make one good head out of the two of them.

If that copper is what I think it is, I will probably have to order a new set of rod bearings and rebuild the engine. If there's a dead hole on the compression test, though, things change.

Another option would be to write off this engine, grab an entire junkyard VTEC engine and build it right in the first place, possibly reusing some chunks from this one (rods?). Given how much rework there is in front of me, it might well be faster/better to do this, and I'd probably eclipse the "250whp" they claimed it made. Nowadays it seems like doing low 400s at the wheel is the cover price for Budget Honda Turbo Club.

A fourth, more exciting option, is to slap this thing back together with a non-cracked manifold, get a Megasquirt running it, throw it into the car and blow it to pieces.

Please do a thread or at least continue posting I am a sucker for the D series. I don't know what your experience has been but I have had nothing but a horrid time with "mini-me" swaps and would suggest going full Y8 or Y7 from a no-nonsense standpoint. I've also not heard of anyone doing a MegaSquirt on this era of Honda (outside of J/G swaps), is there a reason why you prefer it over Hondata/Chrome? Either way good luck on your build I am excited to see how you progress!

Just remembered:
If need be dseries.org still has a very active community and their Facebook group is curated unusually well so this may prove to be of some help to you!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Fo3 posted:

Nah, with BMW it's a driveshaft with seals.

What? No. They're standard spline CV axles that just push into the diff, the oilpan has a cast tunnel for the passenger axle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
ok, I read something about the x5 that mentioned seals a while back, but I read it wrong. Probably diff seals.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

ok, I read something about the x5 that mentioned seals a while back, but I read it wrong. Probably diff seals.
They still have the normal kind of output seals any other diff would have, yes. There is a shaft running through a tube in the sump to put the CV joint on the other side of it, it's functionally little different to the equal-length driveshaft designs used on some FWDs.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
:catstare:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, holy loving poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

That's one hosed truck driver.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My first ever freeway EMS call was one of those, but it bounced over the median and hit the cruiser head on. Cop was fine, but it's been four years and I wonder if the truck driver is still in jail.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

What's the rest of the text? "the tractor-trailer did not stop after..."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Locator posted:

https://www.facebook.com/MassStatePolice/posts/1428118403938805

quote:

losing the wheels, but continued Eastbound. Thankfully, the trooper was not injured.
If you were in this area, and have any information, or have seen a tractor that is missing two wheels, please contact Trooper Scott Shea at the State Police Sturbridge Barracks at 508-347-3352.
Please share.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Locator posted:

"...the driver claimed that he had a little old convoy, ain't she a beautiful sight"

But seriously, isn't that a drive axle? That's some "F15 loses a wing" level redundancy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My first ever freeway EMS call was one of those, but it bounced over the median and hit the cruiser head on. Cop was fine, but it's been four years and I wonder if the truck driver is still in jail.

Why did the driver go to jail? For running from the scene or something?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

A few moons ago going along 70 mph on an interstate and a SUV coming at the opposite direction lost its tire. Thing flew across the 20 ft wide median and over my vehicle. One of those "Final Destination" moments where you think if I left the house a few seconds sooner I'd be toast.

Can't imagine how much energy was stored in those wheels as they let loose. Actually trying to figure out the rod coming out of it. Is that some sort of panhard bar for trailers?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

Actually trying to figure out the rod coming out of it. Is that some sort of panhard bar for trailers?

Isn't that a drive axle?

Kinda wondering how the truck kept moving after losing that, unless it had lockers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You are probably correct, ripped right out of the tube. Cripes.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Isn't that a drive axle?

Kinda wondering how the truck kept moving after losing that, unless it had lockers.

Most articulated trucks have air lockers for the lower gears.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Cojawfee posted:

For anything they could pin. A cop had their life threatened by the indirect actions of a civilian, someone is going to have a very bad time

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Isn't that a drive axle?

Four pairs of drive wheels on two axles - the two drive axles are directly coupled to the each other and the driveshaft, so even with no lockers in the axle that lost the pair, the other drive axle held the rear end up and kept it going.

edit: if it's a rear tandem drive tractor, which seems likely given that it kept going.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Four pairs of drive wheels on two axles - the two drive axles are directly coupled to the each other and the driveshaft, so even with no lockers in the axle that lost the pair, the other drive axle held the rear end up and kept it going.

edit: if it's a rear tandem drive tractor, which seems likely given that it kept going.
Ah, I had assumed it was one drive axle and a non-driven secondary axle behind or ahead of it, which is common here (there's a minor advantage to a 6x2 over 4x2 tractor unit in the UK, as you gain a few extra tons permitted weight, and the secondary axle can be raised off the road anyway when unladen).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

He probably didn't. It's a joke on how cops are protective of their own. The driver did flee though.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Ehh sorta not really. There is an inter-axle differential (acts in the same way as a center diff on an AWD vehicle) in the first diff, usually has a selectable locker in it (if not all 3) but that also means the trucker made a conscious act to keep rolling after losing the wheel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or he left the diff lock on which could have caused the failure in the first place.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Do they know if he had a trailer? It's seems like it would tilt towards the axle and turn right back in towards the trailer and be all kinds of chaos or would it cruise straight ahead?

E:so i googled looking for a video just to see what it looks like when an axle lets go and one of the first hits for "loose semi axle on freeway" is a YouTube video "changing axle seal on your semi truck at home without all the special tools" lol.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Powershift posted:

Or he left the diff lock on which could have caused the failure in the first place.

In that case the axle shaft will fail, sure, but in all but a few edge cases the wheel end is able to hold together after a shaft failure.

But then most of this thread exists because of mechanically unlikely edge case poo poo going down, so it could go either way.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 3, 2017