Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Please for the love of god, try to accomplish the objective! It is the most important thing in the game. It is the only thing the game cares about when deciding who wins or loses. All that fancy schamcy stuff you're doing will mean nothing if don't try accomplish the task the game gives you. This might sound incredibly obvious, but you'd be amazed at how many people don't realize this, and will gladly waste their time doing nothing meaningful and instead spend time waiting to ambush dead people. even at the higher ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bill Barber posted:

The final boss is a giant octopus DJ, which ironically enough, is the same final boss as Splatoon 1.

I often fall into the trap of assuming people are perfectly represented by their avatar. In your case it could not possibly be more accurate.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also anyone who unironically offers apologetics based on "it's a game for children and I am oh so grown up" sounds like the biggest loving toolshed in history

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
imo it's good that people are getting spoilers of the final boss, because instead of being disappointed that it's largely rehashed from splatoon 1 you can just enjoy the setpieces for what they are

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Bloop posted:

Also anyone who unironically offers apologetics based on "it's a game for children and I am oh so grown up" sounds like the biggest loving toolshed in history

Especially when it's a game you've been playing non-stop for a week

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Been trying to get into rollers lately, and the Carbon Roller has been my favorite so far. The other rollers are too heavy for my taste and I gotta go fast. It was a bit hard to get to grips with the jump-flick at first, I mean my aim was not the best of possible worlds, but I've seen progress enough to see me getting close to "fresh" status. Getting close enough to splat enemies is a bit of a hurdle, but it's pretty satisfying doing a "death from above" splat move from higher ground that grinds the little blighters onto the inky ground. Booyah!

I had to lose a lot of battles, though. But at least I'm currently pulling my weight with the splattin' and the turfin'.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deltron 3030 posted:

I hope we eventually see battle stages with Bounce Pads. I can imagine that getting pretty hilarious / chaotic

I hope Shifty Station incorporates all the stage gimmicks from singe player that aren't used in multiplayer levels.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
I think that while Splatoon 2 is a better game, it's not quite as exciting to me as the original.
I think I have brain problems because I have super fond memories of Arowana Mall, Blackbelly Skatepark and Walleye Warehouse alongside overpowered supers.

The best way i could hope to justify my stupidity is this, things were way less balanced and wild west in the original. I feel like Splatoon has gone from MvC2 to being a balanced game.

The Gorp fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 2, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Kraken posted:

I hope Shifty Station incorporates all the stage gimmicks from singe player that aren't used in multiplayer levels.

YES

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's because you're remembering a lot of Splatoon 1 from what was added over the first 6 months. Remember that ranked mode didn't even exist for a while, Splatoon 2 is starting from where those revisions ended and is promising another few years of updates and refinements. It's extremely exciting

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I have a dilemma. I need money to scrub gear. To make money, I have to play multiplayer matches. But when I play multiplayer matches, I also feel the need to rank up gear. Which means I end up making no money because I scrub all the gear I level up instead! :saddowns:

What I'm saying is let me play Salmon Run anytime Nintendo so I don't have this issue.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also quite a bunch of new weapon sets coming in the future as well, and those have been data mined. (Not the full list, they're trying to avoid spoiling the completely new stuff from what I understand.)

Oh god, Tri-Slosher with Splat Bombs as a sub and an Autobomb Launcher special!? That Tri-Slosher nerf can't come fast enough, because that would be an absolute nightmare to play against! :gonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's also quite a bunch of new weapon sets coming in the future as well, and those have been data mined. (Not the full list, they're trying to avoid spoiling the completely new stuff from what I understand.)

Oh god, Tri-Slosher with Splat Bombs as a sub and an Autobomb Launcher special!? That Tri-Slosher nerf can't come fast enough, because that would be an absolute nightmare to play against! :gonk:

That Inkbrush Nouevau set is...ugh :negative:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Dr. Fetus posted:

.96 gal deco :swoon:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Oh boy, a Dynamo Eoller and a Heavy Splatling without Inkjet..... eventually!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do you get the classic hero set and the armored hero set?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Internet Kraken posted:

How do you get the classic hero set and the armored hero set?

From the Callie and Marie amiibo.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Gorp posted:

Oh boy, a Dynamo Eoller and a Heavy Splatling without Inkjet..... eventually!

Splashdown and burst bombs on a heavy splatling would be pretty nice.

Deltron 3030 posted:

I hope we eventually see battle stages with Bounce Pads. I can imagine that getting pretty hilarious / chaotic

:yeah:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

drat, the Dualie Squelchers just came out, but their alt version's loadout (suction bombs and ink armor) is gonna be so much better.

They really don't want to give me a brush with a sprinkler on it, do they? I got so used to having it on the original Inkbrush and I really miss it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

I'm amazed that the concept of "Don't Spoil things from a new game's story even if simplistic" is something that's actually...debatable here. Is it that hard to not be a psychopath?

mods please change thread title to Splatoon 2: Is it that hard to not be a psychopath?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Are there any shoes that look more like ugly bowling clownshoes than the strapping reds? I'm trying to make a douchy pro bowler outfit around the octobowler shirt and go around spamming curling bombs as much as possible for a gimmick.

Also, any good suggestions for the hat? I'm probably going to need something with Ink saver sub that looks suitably obnoxious.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

I want to be lean and mean.

Shame Boner posted:

I like how sunken scroll #20 implies that the earth is on (at least) a 25-hour day. The internet suggests that the earth's rotation slows an average of 20μs each year. A 25 hour day would take around 180,000,000 years to occur without any additional influence.

Apparently that might just be a localisation error, since the Japanese like to schedule programs that occur after midnight as 25:00 or 26:00, which would be 1am or 2am respectively. I do like the idea that Inklings came up with their own time standard, or the apocalypse might have done something to the Earth's rotation, though.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

In Training posted:

It's because you're remembering a lot of Splatoon 1 from what was added over the first 6 months.

Plus a $60 price tag on top of that. I remember thinking "gee, is this it?" even though I had a blast playing turf wars; but in retrospect, totally worth buying a Wii U to play (I've done worse). Some of the initial versions of the levels were terrible.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have RIPed over a dozen times in Level 24, ugh

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i do miss supers being OP though

made them something you feared rather than get slightly annoyed by

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Supers being good but manageable is arguably the best change in splatoon 2. Death to instant invincibility buttons

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't miss the supers from 1 in the slightest

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah getting rid of panic button specials was a very good move. They really weren't balanced. I like that there's a way to actually play against most specials now.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
I just realized you can dodge-roll in mid-air with dualies. Jump while not shooting, then start shooting and press jump again and you'll somersault in whatever direction you press and do a quick landing.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

Getting rid of the panic specials and the damage/defence up abilities (which served no purpose other than to counteract each other and waste ability slots) are the best things to happen in Splatoon 2 after Salmon Run.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Owers posted:

Getting rid of the panic specials and the damage/defence up abilities (which served no purpose other than to counteract each other and waste ability slots) are the best things to happen in Splatoon 2 after Salmon Run.

There was one more reason they got rid of damage up. They greatly affected Chargers. Lethal damage could be reached in a fraction of a second with enough Damage Up stacks instead of having to wait for a long time to reach full charge. Meaning that any poor squid who got near you could be splatted near instantly.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Escobarbarian posted:

mods please change thread title to Splatoon 2: Is it that hard to not be a psychopath?

After 4 losses in a row in a ranked session, I enjoy splatting aidens in turf war for a bit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
What specials were op in 1? A well-aimed close range inkzooka was a ohko I guess, but they were rarely well-aimed. Kraken is easy enough to get away from, falls through grates, can be pushed around, and if the eliter's head is glowing with a ready kraken you could just... not jump right on top of them?

Agreed the specials in 2 are less potent but y’all are talking like 1 was rife with disgusting no-look instakills. And it was, thanks lag, but not from specials.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lag is worse in splatoon 2 anyways since games have a slower tickrate

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

More like what specials weren't OP. Echolocator, Killer whail and uh...yeah everything else was some degree of bullshit

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

They had to nerf the inkzooka 3-4 times to get it so it wasn't a gently caress you I win button like it was for the longest time. I used to be a terror with that thing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
There were a bunch of changes in patches yeah, iirc kraken didn’t always get pushed around. I guess I’m thinking as of the last patch things seemed ok.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I have to admit I enjoyed the patch that made inkbrushes kraken-proof as long as you kept mashing the brush in their faces.

Owers
Nov 13, 2004

pokeyman posted:

What specials were op in 1? A well-aimed close range inkzooka was a ohko I guess, but they were rarely well-aimed. Kraken is easy enough to get away from, falls through grates, can be pushed around, and if the eliter's head is glowing with a ready kraken you could just... not jump right on top of them?

Agreed the specials in 2 are less potent but y’all are talking like 1 was rife with disgusting no-look instakills. And it was, thanks lag, but not from specials.

My only gripe was with the Kraken and Bubbler, not because they were overpowered but because people would always misuse them. Many people only used the Bubbler to prevent themselves from dying when engaging against one opponent, and would never share it with others to help push towards a goal. Same with the Kraken, many people simply used it to get an easy insta-kill instead of clearing out an area for their team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Why the gently caress can I not win a game of tower control lately :(

I'm going to fall from C- to like F pretty quickly.