Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Wouldn't any kind of fat significantly reduce the keeping power of hardtack and kind of defeat the point?

I don't know about making it with fat, though I would assume you're right. That said, the only traditional meal I know of that uses hardtack is chopped fish (I think cod?) and shattered hardtack, boiled together and then mixed with fried pork fat. My grandfather (who is from extremely rural Newfoundland) ate it as a comfort food.

Prism fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of...

is anybody else still using salt beef and salt pork, or is that just Newfoundland

Hard tack is still available as well, though they took lard out of the recipe, old people still complain

You need salt pork to make a proper pasta sauce.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I'm in the US and I can go to the store and pick up salt pork whenever I want.

Wouldn't any kind of fat significantly reduce the keeping power of hardtack and kind of defeat the point?

Not so much. Steve1989, an MRE enthusiast actually ate Civil War hardtack and was unharmed.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5JrN9DrVI

He is completely insane, albeit in a very nice and pleasant fashion, and eats stuff I wouldn't look at.

Loved the "Mkay....Let's put that on the tray. NICE!" with an archaic tray and silverware.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 2, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Samizdata posted:

Not so much. Steve1989, an MRE enthusiast actually ate Civil War hardtack and was unharmed.

...right, which to my knowledge should only be flour, water and if you're lucky, salt.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Strangely the weirdest part of the video is Phil Collins' face watching me watch the guy eat a 152 year old army cracker

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Waci posted:

Ham? Bacon?

It isn't salt pork unless you have to soak it overnight to make it edible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmPIpQZPRg

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Strangely the weirdest part of the video is Phil Collins' face watching me watch the guy eat a 152 year old army cracker

Lol if you don't have enrique wear a phil collins mask while you watch your other servant eat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

...I think I have a new favourite channel now. :kimchi:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Siivola posted:

I'm really interested in their fried chicken recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsyjNef2ydQ

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Silver Alicorn posted:

This seems pretty much like the country ham you can get in the southeastern US. Contrast with city ham, usually just called ham, which is brined instead of salted. Usually you soak country ham too. (Sometimes people call it seasoning ham, and then it's usually tossed into beans, greens, and similar things.)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Prism posted:

I don't know about making it with fat, though I would assume you're right. That said, the only traditional meal I know of that uses hardtack is chopped fish (I think cod?) and shattered hardtack, boiled together and then mixed with fried pork fat. My grandfather (who is from extremely rural Newfoundland) ate it as a comfort food.

Yeah, fish [salt cod] and brews. That's why the hard tack still exists

OK so once upon a time to preserve fish you salted it, IE cure it in salt so you could ship it to Europe. Because this was such a big thing it became part of the local culture, which still eats salt fish on special occasions like Christmas. The fish is always cod, and you have to soak it in water for 24 hours to make it edible, and it is still p salty. I'm under the impression that some Caribbean cultures still have this sort of salt fish kicking around. Back in the day, trade between the Caribbean and Newfoundland was brisk (some sort of rum for fish sorta deal.) Both fish n' brews and the salt fish dinner are salty but otherwise bland; in my family they figured out a way to balance it a bit by serving it with partridgeberry salad. A partridgeberry goes by lots of names; the Scandinavians call them ligonberries. It's a lot like a cranberry (ie a tart, gritty berry that becomes nicer when jellied) and the salad is jello and apple chunks mixed with the berry, the sweetness leavening out the tartness a bit.

Oh, and cod tongues. For some reason it's been tradition in Newfoundland for the tongues of cod to be fried up and served with fish. Neb does not like them, they are gummy and flavorless

Silver Alicorn posted:

QFT

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Siivola posted:

It is pretty good.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm under the impression that some Caribbean cultures still have this sort of salt fish kicking around.

Any bodega or Latino market worth its salt (:downsrim:) has bacalao. Big name-brand Goya often has it in the freezer section of "regular" supermarkets. I buy it to make brandade, which is a puree of (soaked) salt cod and olive oil, sometimes thickened with potatoes. It's a salty, inoffensively fishy, rich creamy dip, that seems like it should have dairy in it but it doesn't --- great for lactose intolerant folks. You dip some crusty bread in it and oh gently caress you thread now I gotta make brandade

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Any bodega or Latino market worth its salt (:downsrim:) has bacalao. Big name-brand Goya often has it in the freezer section of "regular" supermarkets. I buy it to make brandade, which is a puree of (soaked) salt cod and olive oil, sometimes thickened with potatoes. It's a salty, inoffensively fishy, rich creamy dip, that seems like it should have dairy in it but it doesn't --- great for lactose intolerant folks. You dip some crusty bread in it and oh gently caress you thread now I gotta make brandade

Please post a recipe, I think I can enliven an entire Canadian province's cooking with it

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Please post a recipe, I think I can enliven an entire Canadian province's cooking with it

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/brandade-salt-cod-spread-recipe.html

It's good stuff.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I found that channel when I was trying to learn about pemmican -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vLuMobHCI

Also "hardtack" which was known as ship's bisket before the 19th century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyjcJUGuFVg

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thanks, gonna try this out

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
When I think army food I think of yellow pea soup with pancakes. Served every Thursday in the mess halls all year around in Sweden and also out in the field.

http://partaste.com/worldrecipes/artsoppa-swedish-yellow-pea-soup/

In the end while I was in could not eat it anymore and just gorged on the pancakes that are served with it as a side dish.

Today I guess I could eat it since it has been years, it is nice with mustard.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Siivola posted:

If you enjoy Townsends English Heritage channel also has some Victorian recipes. for example mince pie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLeVl9kPIQ

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question but some of the MRE meals I have have a 'best before' on them. Sealed wet meals. Will heat them thoroughly prior to eating. They'll still be okay, right? Talking a best before of june 2017.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

AFAIK they won't make you sick as long as they're still sealed and there's no swelling of the package, but the textures on certain things might be... off. A lot depends on the temperature they were stored at.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are idiots on youtube who eat MREs from the 80s, I'm sure it'll be fine a bit after the date.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah, if they were stored at a remotely sensible temperature, a month after the best by date is nothing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've eaten 8 or 9-year-old MREs before. The only part that's guaranteed to not be edible by that point will be commercial packaged items like M&Ms or bottles of Tabasco. The actual retort pouched food items may look a little terrifying but are otherwise safe to eat as long as they were stored in a cool, dry place and kept sealed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I thought "best before" meant that the food was no longer as good as originally intended, not that it's necessary harmful, even for commercial products. I imagine stuff like M&Ms would last forever.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, "best by" means exactly that. Probably safe to eat unless something has obviously turned.

It's just assumed that people will have consumed it by the "best by" date.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I thought "best before" meant that the food was no longer as good as originally intended, not that it's necessary harmful, even for commercial products. I imagine stuff like M&Ms would last forever.

M&Ms get chalky and weird a lot quicker than you'd think.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most candy goes off quicker than you would think

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Grand Fromage posted:

There are idiots on youtube who eat MREs from the 80s, I'm sure it'll be fine a bit after the date.

From the 40's and 50's even. Peanut butter, well sealed crackers, and cigarettes never go bad.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Please don't eat food that is older than you, we are not experiencing a post apocalyptic life.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Suspect Bucket posted:

cigarettes never go bad.
Not so sure about that. My grandpa once found some sealed packs while cleaning up his house, left over from when he stopped smoking in the 70s. He gave them to me and I tried them. Might as well have smoked sawdust.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You should have smoked some pipe instead, it's free.:smugmrgw:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

So I have this box laying around my house, I had 30 or so at one point but we ate 10 or so from camping and random snacking with my family and friends.

Since we live in hurricane country these are nice to have around for emergency sake and they taste way better than what I remember from 12 years ago.

I'll have to hit up my deployed buddies to see if they can bring a few more back home for me, maybe score some of the breakfast ones.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rythe posted:

So I have this box laying around my house, I had 30 or so at one point but we ate 10 or so from camping and random snacking with my family and friends.

Since we live in hurricane country these are nice to have around for emergency sake and they taste way better than what I remember from 12 years ago.

I'll have to hit up my deployed buddies to see if they can bring a few more back home for me, maybe score some of the breakfast ones.

Get the omelet if you can, that was legendary.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Please don't eat food that is older than you, we are not experiencing a post apocalyptic life.
eh, might as well get some practice in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I picked up a few myself, living in an earthquake prone region they seem to be a good idea to have around.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

monster on a stick posted:

Get the omelet if you can, that was legendary.

They stopped making it years ago, so I would not recommend eating any that you can find.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Russian MREs have a mascot.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Of course it's kasha. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

You guys have opinions on which MREs are the best? A recent large earthquake nearby has reminded me to finish stocking my earthquake kit and I'm going to pick some more up. Chinese MREs are godawful but I can get American ones on the internet no problem. The seller has every option so I just have to pick.

• Locked thread