Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Got my copy~!
As did I.

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the credits weren't translated. Movie itself still owns and the "Godzilla vs. the Nerds" feature was okay.

I'm morbidly curious about the English dub but haven't checked it out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm also noticing that the Japanese chyrons have been removed and just having the English subtitles on the top of the screen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm also noticing that the Japanese chyrons have been removed and just having the English subtitles on the top of the screen.
Now that I've looked up what the word "chyron" means yeah, I'm pretty sure that was different from what I saw in the theatrical release.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 2, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sorry, yeah, meant the namecards for each character and place.

Additionally, the promo for the Attack on Titan movie accidentally deadnamed ANN columnist Jake Chapman in their quote mine.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Waffleman_ posted:

Never doubt the power of "I'll just go to Best Buy after work."

I tried my local Best Buy earlier but they didn't ave one. :( Have to try Wal-Mart tomorrow.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The joke of characters' titles and positions becoming longer and stupider as the movie goes on is very underrated.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Waffleman_ posted:

The joke of characters' titles and positions becoming longer and stupider as the movie goes on is very underrated.

Considering how quickly i decided to ignore those over paying attention to the dialogue, that went way over my head...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Movie's still good. The shot of Goji's tail at the end is still fuckin' chilling and I can't wait for 2.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I caught that that this time and was very amused. It's amazing how much better this movie was this time now that I didn't have some douchebag rocking his office chair left and right obscuring my view of the subtitles.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Waffleman_ posted:

wait, so does the american release remove that? it was a great gag

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wait, so does the american release remove that? it was a great gag

No, it's there. I was just noticing it now that I wasn't as focused on the dialogue. I love when Rando's position got like five lines long near the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Netflix showed off its slate of anime programming for 2018 and Anizilla will be released internationally as Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters in November.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Movie's still good. The shot of Goji's tail at the end is still fuckin' chilling and I can't wait for 2.

Wasn't the second Anno Godzilla debunked due to it being taken out of translation context?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

Wasn't the second Anno Godzilla debunked due to it being taken out of translation context?

I did check and Higuchi said that they couldn't even think about a sequel until after 2020, presumably because Toho will be focusing on the Planet of the Monsters trilogy over the next three years.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Goddamn. So presumably 5 years before Shin Godzilla 2 is in theatres. 6 years before it gets a limited US run. 7 years until the Blu-ray is out.

At least we'll have at least two American Godzilla features in that time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just to clarify, did you mean November of this year, or 2018, for Planet of Monsters

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This year. Do you mean my calculations could be off by a year? That means...*taps wildly on a calculator. Rips out the strip of paper.* EIGHT YEARS!?!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

November 2018, sorry. The announcements were all for 2018 releases.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can't believe the poor people of Tokyo will have to live beside and navigate around a giant, petrified Godzilla for nearly a decade to come. What a preposterous inconvenience for them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He'll hopefully be gone in a couple years from the half-life.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

He'll hopefully be gone in a couple years from the half-life.

However, the citizens of Japan will have to face the full life consequences.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

I can't believe the poor people of Tokyo will have to live beside and navigate around a giant, petrified Godzilla for nearly a decade to come. What a preposterous inconvenience for them.

Really guys, you missed the Godzilla Hotel joke here?

I'm disappoint

Also I could have sworn they announced that it'd release this year, but I guess that wasn't going to happen

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

FYI for the Blu-ray owners: the inner cover is reversible. I flipped mine and it looks rad.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so is Shin Godzilla 2 definitely happening, and definitely happening with Anno?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

so is Shin Godzilla 2 definitely happening, and definitely happening with Anno?

No, and no

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Goddamn. So presumably 5 years before Shin Godzilla 2 is in theatres. 6 years before it gets a limited US run. 7 years until the Blu-ray is out.

i'm not gonna get the 4th eva movie until roughly 2050 so you can stop complaining about such a short wait

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Burkion posted:

Really guys, you missed the Godzilla Hotel joke here?

I'm disappoint

I'm going to need some education about this.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh seriously? I thought you were making a reference to this

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/2/24/8101307/godzilla-hotel-japan-gracery

It's a thing. Godzilla Hotel.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's not what happened for the first Shin Godzilla.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Waffleman_ posted:

Netflix showed off its slate of anime programming for 2018 and Anizilla will be released internationally as Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters in November.

There is a god, and he's 400 feet tall and scaly.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Schwarzwald posted:

I hope the sequel starts with Godzilla still in the middle of the city a decade later, but now inexplicably crucified.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bought and watched Shin Godzilla last night and it's one of the most batshit crazy movies I've ever seen from a film making point of view. Like, all those scenes of people like, doing science that are shot and edited and scored like a Michael Bay action scene, and the sound design in general, just...loving insane. I loved it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Lord Krangdar posted:

I hope the sequel starts with Godzilla still in the middle of the city a decade later, but now inexplicably crucified.

Everyone on earth has mutated into tiny godzillas and Godzilla has turned into a giant, frozen naked man.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Vince MechMahon posted:

I bought and watched Shin Godzilla last night and it's one of the most batshit crazy movies I've ever seen from a film making point of view. Like, all those scenes of people like, doing science that are shot and edited and scored like a Michael Bay action scene, and the sound design in general, just...loving insane. I loved it.

Anno has a very fun and intriguing style and I sincerely hope he does more live action stuff after he finally kills evangelion.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I did a rewatch of Godzilla's Revenge today. I don't think it gets the respect it deserves. It's pretty astonishing that the movie was completed in the first place, it's such a ridiculously barebones production. I think any director but Honda would've just said gently caress it. You can really see his background in documentary filmmaking with those early shots of Kawasaki.

All the really kid-friendly Godzilla movies are really great, at least to me. They have a really odd kind of surrealism that I really dig.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Everyone on earth has mutated into tiny godzillas and Godzilla has turned into a giant, frozen naked man.

only if he's played by a lizard in a rubber man suit

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Grabbed my copy today. Movie's even better a second time around. It really is near perfect.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They completely dropped the Godzilla Resurgence name, didn't they?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They had it for some territories, if translated into other languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

watched the bluray last night, just as great as I remember---although the soundtrack was much louder and prominent in the theater. girlfriend immediately paused and rewound the movie at the credits just to see that final shot, I loving love how freaky it is.