Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Morter posted:

Well, the invisible qualifier being 'of the ones I've played'. :v:

Pah! This is not the age where you let experience limit what you have a resolute opinion on. :D

Also: have a loot at those if you liked the originals. They're still good games — now modernised.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tippis posted:

…and for the love of all that's holy, if you play SWAT 4, get a mod that rebalances what you can carry. In particular, making door wedges easier to carry than a bajillion grenades and mags that you don't actually need.

I think there might be ones that make the shotgun be slightly more threatening than a dry sneeze, too.

Beanbag shotgun is all you ever need.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Morter posted:

Bioshock 1 could use a remastered in a 'stabilized for 201x systems', but neither of them needed their looks updated.

I think so far the only good 'remaster' game has been Hard Reset.

The first two Monkey Island games got a good remaster.

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

lets take the best tactical shooter series of all time and make it a loving generic open world game

Ghost Recon hasn't been a tactical shooter for much, much longer than Wildlands has been around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orv posted:

Ghost Recon hasn't been a tactical shooter for much, much longer than Wildlands has been around.

You'll take my copy of graw2 pc when I'm dead

Orv
May 4, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

You'll take my copy of graw2 pc when I'm dead

Look man, I love GRAW, but it's not really a tactical shooter. It's on the same level as Republic Commando. Very good, very fun, but the early Rainbow/GR style planning and control just isn't there.

And even if we were to call GRAW 1/2 tactical shooters, Future Soldier and that garbage F2P game existed since.

E: In case you never had the pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WloSZwgH1dY

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 3, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Kibayasu posted:

Beanbag shotgun is all you ever need.

The stun grenades are pretty fun too. Goddamn I love SWAT 4.

Also let's not forget that Ken Levine's next game after SWAT 4 was almost a four player zombie co-op game in the same engine. Sounds familiar!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Opinions on the Long Dark?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I'm not a fan of survival games in general, I know most people who are love TLD but I've tried playing it a few times and it's just a walking simulator to me. You slowly walk from place to place while eating food and hoping to find more food, and that's about it. It has even less to do than most survival games I've played, there's no base building, very very little combat, it literally boils down to finding and eating food and going inside pre-built structures when you get too cold or need to use a bed to skip nighttime. There's a crafting system to repair equipment or turn consumables (food) into better versions of themselves. Traversing the world is slow and running drains your calories and makes you need more food. You can't jump so exploring is usually an annoying case of slowly circling a mountain until you find the pre-defined path then slowly walking up, then scavenging and slowly walking back down. If you try to do things like fall down the side of the path to expedite your descent you often get stuck clipping through the terrain or surrounded by 6-inch tall rocks you have no way to jump over, and have to give up on your save (I think this is the only thing that ever ended any of my runs, including the one I tried after full release yesterday)

I bet it has some tense moments when you're lost in the middle of nowhere, it's very immersive and it looks pretty good. There's just not much to do in it :shrug:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's good, protect yourself from cold using the only kind of shirt you can find in Canada: flannel.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

SirSamVimes posted:

Well aside from the really goony design they gave Guybrush for the remaster of the first game at least.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

except they made guybrush look like sinead o'connor for some reason

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ikari Worrier posted:

Well aside from the really goony design they gave Guybrush for the remaster of the first game at least.
That's his whole character though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey guys, sort of a random question: my gf is looking to buy a new computer, mostly with the intention of playing Sims. Last Sims she played was Sims 2, which she swears by. I have basically no loving idea regarding Sims 3 and 4, but I'm sure there MUST have been some improvements to the formula in the last two editions. Should I get her Sims 3? Sims 4?

Also, do you need like a GPU for that or would integrated graphics suffice?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does Grid 2 take up at minimum 2 and can go as high as 5 slots on my special offers box on the store page?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Leal posted:

Why does Grid 2 take up at minimum 2 and can go as high as 5 slots on my special offers box on the store page?

It's very special, and it's called Grid 2 — if it didn't take at least two grid squares, then that would just be bad and wrong.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
After having a backlog building up for YEARS I finally got around to playing Bioshock (Remastered). I'm up to Arcadia, and this is a very good game. Basically underwater System Shock, but that's not a bad thing.

Atlas is a Shodan-like betrayer, isn't he.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fuzz posted:

After having a backlog building up for YEARS I finally got around to playing Bioshock (Remastered). I'm up to Arcadia, and this is a very good game. Basically underwater System Shock, but that's not a bad thing.

Thats not the twist.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Azran posted:

Hey guys, sort of a random question: my gf is looking to buy a new computer, mostly with the intention of playing Sims. Last Sims she played was Sims 2, which she swears by. I have basically no loving idea regarding Sims 3 and 4, but I'm sure there MUST have been some improvements to the formula in the last two editions. Should I get her Sims 3? Sims 4?

Also, do you need like a GPU for that or would integrated graphics suffice?

here's some sim opinions from a big time sims fan:

the sims 3 is probably the best sims game with a ton of poo poo to do, a cool open world, and let's you customize nearly everything's colors and textures in-game but has atrocious performance that only gets worse the more xpacs you pile on and incredibly ugly rear end sim models
the sims 4 is ok at best but gets boring very quickly because of the total lack of any real content, open world or customization compared to 3 but runs a TON better and you can actually make sims that don't look like horrific plastic realdolls. also the sims autonomy is insanely boring and bad, they never do anything interesting or fun without you telling them to.

you'll probably need a dedicated GPU for either game regardless, especially 4 (3 is highly CPU reliant in comparison)

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 3, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Community Groups system has received some changes.

To summarize:
Previously there were two types of group: Public and invite-only. There is now a third group type where people can submit requests for membership, or be invited by an officer or moderator with the appropriate permissions. All previous invite-only groups have been converted to this new type, so if you don't want the proles knocking, change the group type to "closed".

You can now only receive invites to join a group from your friends. This prevents spammers from constantly bugging you to join their scam CS:GO skin giveaway groups.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Kins posted:

You can now only receive invites to join a group from your friends. This prevents spammers from constantly bugging you to join their scam CS:GO skin giveaway groups.

this is good. Random spam invites were obnoxious and I imagine were pretty common if you played source games.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fuzz posted:

Not quite, but the twist you get will still feel familiar.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Ah...i really want to play and like gothic 2 but, seriously, the controls? I was expecting super janky, but from what I can tell it wants me to use just the keyboard? The mouse seems worthless. Any mods for this or recommendations? I'd also be happy if I could get a ds4 to work somehow but I bet that's a no go. e: It's kinda late, I saw you can bind controls so I imagine it might not be too bad playing only keyboard if I get everything set to how I like it. e2: I see conflicting info on if you should actually play with the mouse or not in Gothic 2. Is it just preference? I know I'm going to have to rebind everything(at least if I play only keyboard) so I'd like to know if mouse or no mouse is more optimal so I can take that into consideration.

Does Gothic 3 control more like a regular action rpg?

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 3, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
Masoooooooooon!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SelenicMartian posted:

Not quite, but the twist you get will still feel familiar.

Either Atlas or Andrew Ryan has been dead the whole time?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh, just play the goddamned game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you really asking us to spoil the game for you?

Father: I am your son

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
You are the Halo mans in a sky city full of bad people.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The betrayer was inside you the whole time.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Actually both sides were evil!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you really asking us to spoil the game for you?

Father: I am your son

Snape kills Dumbledore

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

il_cornuto posted:

I know this is a little vague, but I finally got a better laptop. My old laptop could not run games like XCOM 2, Wolfenstein: The New Order, The Witness or Shadow of Mordor. My new laptop can, on low settings, but nothing more intensive than those games - no DOOM or Prey for example. Is there anything really good that I probably couldn't play before but probably can now? Those are enough to be getting on with but I'd like to update my wishlist.

Metal Gears 5 and REVENGEANCE
Alien Isolation

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

ShadowMar posted:

here's some sim opinions from a big time sims fan:

the sims 3 is probably the best sims game with a ton of poo poo to do, a cool open world, and let's you customize nearly everything's colors and textures in-game but has atrocious performance that only gets worse the more xpacs you pile on and incredibly ugly rear end sim models
the sims 4 is ok at best but gets boring very quickly because of the total lack of any real content, open world or customization compared to 3 but runs a TON better and you can actually make sims that don't look like horrific plastic realdolls. also the sims autonomy is insanely boring and bad, they never do anything interesting or fun without you telling them to.

you'll probably need a dedicated GPU for either game regardless, especially 4 (3 is highly CPU reliant in comparison)

Alright then, thanks!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

He believes whites are superior because of their high concentration of neanderthal genes, not that neanderthals were superior because they were white.

I thought everyone except Africans had Neanderthal genes

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 3, 2017

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

The Kins posted:

The Community Groups system has received some changes.

To summarize:
Previously there were two types of group: Public and invite-only. There is now a third group type where people can submit requests for membership, or be invited by an officer or moderator with the appropriate permissions. All previous invite-only groups have been converted to this new type, so if you don't want the proles knocking, change the group type to "closed".

So how would that affect the SA Goons group?
The admins would need to befriend people who posts in the SA Goons thread before inviting them, or people requesting to join while also posting in the thread?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I thought everyone except Africans had Neanderthal genes
Concentration of, as opposed to presence of.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Azran posted:

Alright then, thanks!

The sims 3's atrocious performance should not be understated, you pretty much need mods for the game to not become unplayable as it goes and even then it freezes, hangs or bugs out on me frequently.

And while 4 doesn't have half as much fun stuff to do as 3 did, it did add a lot of quality of life features like multitasking (sims don't need to stop doing whatever they are doing to talk to someone now). I'd just get her 4.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Sims 2 if you want to mod the gently caress out of the game and have ridiculous characters, Sims 3 if you want to mod the poo poo out of the game so much it becomes broken or want to do poo poo like travel to the future but also don't mind waiting 25 minutes for loading, Sims 4 if you don't mind not having many mods and don't mind losing things like insane level of customization or a lot of bonus fun functionality but want a working game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron-of-hell
Jul 11, 2016
So I am on a ship with crappy internet and behind a company firewall that does not allow me to connect to steam or even the steam forums.

I have 2 steam accounts, one I can access in offline mode without a problem, the other one desperately wants to connect online. I have used both accounts online, including the games so I know that offline mode works, except this time I think I locked myself out for some reason.

I have tried googling it including an option to include a steam.cfg file in the steam folder with this in it:
BootStrapperInhibitAll=enable

ForceOfflineMode=enable

Or change the loginusers.vdf file but those don't work for me.

Anybody else have a good idea to get steam to go into offline mode?