Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zil posted:

I am thinking either fibromyalgia or odd nerve pinch/damage from the wreck, and she is on opioids for the pain. Or she is hooked on opioids from the wreck and the odd behavior and suspect spending was her getting her supply illegally.

I mean there has to be a reason the plea deal included a drug test.

She did show up to a hearing (late) the other day and ask an insane question, then said it was because of all the morphine she was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Badger of Basra posted:

She did show up to a hearing (late) the other day and ask an insane question, then said it was because of all the morphine she was on.

Ah, yeah she is hosed.

What are the odds of a live on air rant or a "high speed" chase down mopac when she gets tossed from her seat?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good luck, the Texas Dems are too hierarchical. Precinct chairs from her own district tried to pass a resolution basically calling for her to resign and the county party chair blocked it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zil posted:

Ah, yeah she is hosed.

What are the odds of a live on air rant or a "high speed" chase down mopac when she gets tossed from her seat?

High speed? Mopac?

About zero chance of that.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

High speed? Mopac?

But but the express lanes!

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shifty Pony posted:

High speed? Mopac?

Honestly, a 2.5 mph chase almost seems more appropriate, anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oi, the other day I heard on the radio someone say Austin was the 11th largest city in the country and I thought, That can't be right. But I looked it up and sure enough, number eleven. Once we pass San Jose like next week, four of the top ten cities by population in the US will be in Texas. So no wonder traffic is bad and getting worse.

We've grown 20% since the census, almost double the next fastest. Which is San Antonio at 12%. Dallas and Houston are both at ten. We're 44th in the country in per capita spending.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Oi, the other day I heard on the radio someone say Austin was the 11th largest city in the country and I thought, That can't be right. But I looked it up and sure enough, number eleven. Once we pass San Jose like next week, four of the top ten cities by population in the US will be in Texas. So no wonder traffic is bad and getting worse.

We've grown 20% since the census, almost double the next fastest. Which is San Antonio at 12%. Dallas and Houston are both at ten. We're 44th in the country in per capita spending.

Luckily we're going to solve our traffic problems by spending $600 million to make the roads nicer

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Luckily we're going to solve our traffic problems by spending $600 million to make the roads nicer

We have no money because the APD sucks up so much of the resources

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Badger of Basra posted:

Specifically the sidewalks and some medians. The actual roads themselves are the tertiary priority.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Doom Rooster posted:

Specifically the sidewalks and some medians. The actual roads themselves are the tertiary priority.

You need somewhere nice to get out and stretch if you're going to spend all day in traffic

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Speaking of medians, why does no one in Dallad understand how to navigate a median break with their car?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Dear Texas thread. Would Hank Hill have been fooled by Trump or would his dislike of flamboyance, fads, and New York have caused him to stay at home? This is v. important tia

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

Dear Texas thread. Would Hank Hill have been fooled by Trump or would his dislike of flamboyance, fads, and New York have caused him to stay at home? This is v. important tia

It would be the stereotypical "NEW YORK CITY???" distrust along with the unease at the hair. Peggy would hate him for being a sleeze, and Cotton, Hank's dad, would be all about Trump.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dale would have become a full on alt right nazi like all the other crazy libertarians have in the last two years

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

safely sodomized posted:

dale would have become a full on alt right nazi like all the other crazy libertarians have in the last two years

Nah, Dale would just be all about Podesta and PizzaGate but also believe in the Russian Collusion.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

safely sodomized posted:

Nope. Dale doesn't vote. He's not even registered: it's how Big GuvMint gets your information.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

safely sodomized posted:

With sovcit militias gaining such increased prominence in the meantime you think Dale would throw in with milo yabbadabbadopolis? smh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hank turned his back on GWB because of a bad handshake so I don't think he'd put up with Trump's bullshit.

https://twitter.com/JohnnieMo/status/893131261971021824

Vidor, eh

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/893132695483682817

Ahaha they got 100 people to show up in favor of the bathroom bill

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 3, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

zoux posted:

Ahaha they got 100 people to show up in favor of the bathroom bill

That must be a really high percentage of unemployed Republicans in the state.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Max_Gorden/status/893144395037499393

Ahahaha

Also, I thought this was an issue of public safety and not transgender discrimination :thunk:
https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/893144059447046145

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i like that to some conservatives, their opposition to a lot of issues boils down to "...and their ultimate goal is bestiality"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

Well we know how Trump likes his steaks and Hank has a set policy on that:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Jiro posted:

It would be the stereotypical "NEW YORK CITY???" distrust along with the unease at the hair. Peggy would hate him for being a sleeze, and Cotton, Hank's dad, would be all about Trump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78-45lq0lgM&t=56s

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

Ugh..

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Max_Gorden/status/893144395037499393

Ahahaha

Also, I thought this was an issue of public safety and not transgender discrimination :thunk:
https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/893144059447046145

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
An activist friend in Austin always talks about how rallies in front of the capitol are dumb because the building is so big (because Texas) it makes even large crowds look small. Also you can't see them from the street.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Episode: Hank is excited about voting for an amazing a businessman like Trump for president, and gets even more proud when Strickland tells him they are getting a contract to provide propane and new grills for a Texas-Cookout themed rally Trump is holding nearby. The high price Strickland is excited about initially confuses Hank because he thought Trump would drive a hard bargain and not spend tons of money on grills to only use once, but he shrugs it off as Trump knowing the importance of a quality grill.

At the rally Hank will notice the cooking staff having to swap a tank earlier than they should. Concerned that something might have a leak and over Peggy's objections he goes over and is told it was because they used extra gas cooking Trump's steak well done, leading to a signature "bwaaa!" and Bush-handshake style disillusionment.

Meanwhile Luanne refuses to leave the house because she thinks she committed voter fraud due to getting a form letter saying her registration in the county she used to live in was being canceled because she re-registered in Arlen.

After much back and forth Hank will decide at work on Election Day that he can still vote for Trump, only for Strickland to come in and reveal that Trump has completely stiffed them on the propane contract by wording the contract to say payment is due after the grills are delivered to a final storage location and then refusing to tell Strickland where that location is. He makes Hank stay late to clean the used grills so they can try to sell them to make a bit of the money back and Hank is unable to vote as a result.

Peggy gets turned away at the polling location because the poll worker doesn't believe she is the person in her driver's license photo (which is almost two decades old because she is convinced it is a good photo of her and has avoided getting another one taken).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The House is running some sort of weird shadow special session where they focus on what they think the state's priorities should be:
https://twitter.com/Steph_Rubin/status/893164763789840388
Earlier today they passed three groundwater bills, which sure as poo poo ain't on the call.

Pretty sure RDF money is a non-starter in the Senate so it'll be cool to see how they get around these provider cuts, which, incidentally, they swore up and down weren't going to happen at a number of Finance hearings during the regular.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

The House is running some sort of weird shadow special session where they focus on what they think the state's priorities should be:
https://twitter.com/Steph_Rubin/status/893164763789840388
Earlier today they passed three groundwater bills, which sure as poo poo ain't on the call.

Pretty sure RDF money is a non-starter in the Senate so it'll be cool to see how they get around these provider cuts, which, incidentally, they swore up and down weren't going to happen at a number of Finance hearings during the regular.

I doubt it'll happen but what happens if both houses pass something that isn't actually on the call? Does it just die because the governor isn't allowed to sign it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

I doubt it'll happen but what happens if both houses pass something that isn't actually on the call? Does it just die because the governor isn't allowed to sign it?

I'm not sure, but it's subject to a point of order. I doubt that Dan would refer non-called bills to Senate committees while the House slow-walks the items on the actual call.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

This is a funny video.

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/893234661543092226

But also, how many property tax exemptions do we have targeted at various flavors of veteran and veteran relatives? I feel like I've voted on at least two in constitutional amendment elections.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/893485298851753984

Maybe Wendy will show up and they can yass kween her

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/893486636574683136
https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/893487269167984642

Wait til they find out the entire special session is for a Dan Patrick press release.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 4, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/03/analysis-texas-house-committee-tries-shock-therapy-school-finance/

quote:

Okay, there is a way for the Texas Legislature to lower your property taxes after all.

The House Ways and Means Committee — the Capitol’s wellspring of tax bills — voted unanimously Thursday to let voters decide whether to eliminate the property taxes that raise about $24 billion per year for public schools.
Another remedy, proposed by state Rep. Andrew Murr, R-Junction, would raise state sales taxes enough to cover the difference — to 12 percent from 6.25 percent. With local add-ons, that would make the sales tax 14 percent in most parts of the state.

How would you guys feel about a 14.25% sales tax?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

Darby’s brinksmanship probably won’t get far. It’s in the form of a constitutional amendment, requiring 100 votes in the House and 21 in the Senate and then approval from Texas voters. And it would force a very conservative Legislature to conjure up a tax bill big enough to raise some $2 billion every month, which is what local property taxes raise now.

That "probably" is understating the case by a factor of infinity-fold.

Bills like that serve exactly one purpose and that purpose is to get articles written about them and freak people who don't know how government works who, six months after reading the article will think that it actually happened and are wondering why they still have to pay property taxes.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

zoux posted:

That "probably" is understating the case by a factor of infinity-fold.

Bills like that serve exactly one purpose and that purpose is to get articles written about them and freak people who don't know how government works who, six months after reading the article will think that it actually happened and are wondering why they still have to pay property taxes.

So it's a stunt while the status quo will stay the same. Gotcha.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

So it's a stunt while the status quo will stay the same. Gotcha.

The whole special is, but if you're interested in the topic, the House is currently debating its school finance bill and are as we speak arguing about property taxes with respect to school funding.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/893543343518625792

Lieutenant Dan slowly morphing into Pol Pot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The whole state GOP is the same way. Despite the fact that conservatives have held the reins of state government since Ann Richards, and they have pretty much every thing they could possibly want, they want to act as victims. For the last eight years, they could cast the Feds as that bogey man but now they it's their guy and their congress, they can't constantly whine about DC. Abbott had this tired old joke he used to tell constantly when he was AG: "I have the best job in the world. Every day I wake up and sue the federal government." Can't do that anymore.

So now it's the cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
"Dan Patrick admits that education is the enemy of fascism, but let's talk about Seth Rich." -Texas conservatives