Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This manga unequivocally has too large of a cast. It's hard to put names to faces even with the principal cast (which i'd name as Deku, his class mates and All Might).

It's not that Horikoshi has made the cast too large and that dilutes the quality of his designs, which is largely untrue. There aren't many characters or quirks that are just bad in this series, it's more like he doesn't really hold anyone back and sometimes, less is more because there are interesting and cool characters you'll never see again in any real capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Condiv posted:

kirishima was introduced how long ago, and we're just barely getting some info on him? meanwhile, he and the other student of class 1-A have to vie for oxygen with the big three now, one of which we still don't know much of anything about. plus we have about 50 new villains we're getting back stories for now. like, i hate to suggest it, but a training arc would actually be warranted right now, both as a way to get deku to stop being so poo poo with OFA and as a chance to flesh out currently existing characters without having to introduce a whole bunch of new characters suddenly

Deku has already had his big training arc where he started using One for All properly, and is gradually getting stronger without special training as his body adjust to One for All. He still has over 2 years of school to go. A training arc at this point would make him too strong.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Genuinely excited for this filler.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda questioned the need for the big 3 myself. Like the only acceptable use for them imo is getting owned to show how being the whole package as a hero (mindset, motivation, and combat effectiveness) and having that twinge of madness All Might has is what makes an absolute top tier hero.

Like Mirio has to fail here in some way. Nighteye literally took Deku on to prove to him that Mirio is the better successor. It's pretty clear that outside of Mirio being talented and a nice dude, Nighteye's evaluation of him is based on All Might's most shallow aspects. Mirio has to be showed up or proven lacking somewhere.

Nejire and Tamaki I guess are to round out the group but they seem to be lacking in places too.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

gently caress yeah, filler! This is honestly the type of thing I've really been hoping for from the anime.

I know we've got the main series, the comedy spinoff (which nobody translates because life is cruel), and the prequel sidestory spinoff, but what I really want is the slice of life spinoff. Give us the series that the first ED from S2 belonged to, I would read/watch the poo poo out of that.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
For real for both this and Food Wars I would watch an entire season that was nothing but internships

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This manga unequivocally has too large of a cast. It's hard to put names to faces even with the principal cast (which i'd name as Deku, his class mates and All Might).

It's not that Horikoshi has made the cast too large and that dilutes the quality of his designs, which is largely untrue. There aren't many characters or quirks that are just bad in this series, it's more like he doesn't really hold anyone back and sometimes, less is more because there are interesting and cool characters you'll never see again in any real capacity.

the design quality isn't low, it's just we're given 50000 people each arc and we only take a decent look at one or two. like ochako should be way more fleshed out than she is right now. people talk about liking tail kid, but we hardly know anything about him either. there's a lot of the main cast that we haven't really met beyond basic introductions and it's frustrating we keep getting new characters piled on after that

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This isn't an ensemble cast like late-era Bleach or Naruto. It's all about Deku and his growth as a hero. The background characters exist to populate the background. Characters come in and out of focus as they go in and out of Deku's line of sight.

Kirishima and Suneater only got extended digressions because their mental and emotional struggles parallel that of Deku in this arc.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's absolutely an ensemble cast dog Todoroki and Iida got massive focus spotlights for entire arcs and Deku hasn't done anything of note in about a volume's length

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
An ensemble cast is where all characters receive roughly equal screentime and importance. That's really not the case here. There are digressions and asides but it's still Deku's story.

It's not like One Piece/Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tale et al, where every character gets their own 2-5 chapter fight every arc.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vengarr posted:

It's not like One Piece/Naruto/Bleach/Fairy Tale et al, where every character gets their own 2-5 chapter fight every arc.

I loving wish. Robin hasn't gotten a fight since Skypiea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vengarr posted:

An ensemble cast is where all characters receive roughly equal screentime and importance. That's really not the case here. There are digressions and asides but it's still Deku's story.

Then Naruto and one piece are not either

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ruggington posted:

anyone noticing a lot of intersection between burger fans and vore enthusiasts

:thunk:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also it's definitely an ensemble cast

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Vengarr posted:

None of those series really count as ensemble casts either. Those have a primary set of leads, and side characters occasionally get some focus.

Condiv posted:

i hate to suggest it, but a training arc would actually be warranted right now, both as a way to get deku to stop being so poo poo with OFA and as a chance to flesh out currently existing characters without having to introduce a whole bunch of new characters suddenly

The problem isn't that Deku is still bad at OfA, it's that he hasn't gotten a win from getting better at OfA. His wins either barely require it's usage, or he's in a situation where he has to ignore the lessons he's learned and wreck himself anyways. At this point, he has 1) Full Cowl, 2) Shoot Style, and 3) Can use up to 8% safely. He needs to get a win that is dependent on those factors, without excessive self-inflicted damage to himself (I'm willing to forgive getting beat up by a villain's attacks at this point).

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One of the thread titles should change imo because I keep forgetting which one I'm in if we're not discussing a recent chapter.

e: I'm really dumb tho

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

This is gonna be a good episode

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

EmmyOk posted:

One of the thread titles should change imo because I keep forgetting which one I'm in if we're not discussing a recent chapter.

e: I'm really dumb tho

No, I agree. The titles are pretty confusing. Having "anime" or "manga" in either should help a lot.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

yo when the gently caress do we get more Mei

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Andrast posted:

I loving wish. Robin hasn't gotten a fight since Skypiea.

Well, nevermind getting back into One Piece then.

Kuroyama posted:

None of those series really count as ensemble casts either. Those have a primary set of leads, and side characters occasionally get some focus.

Having leads, plural, is the definition of an ensemble cast.

Bleach absolutely counts. There were exactly two leads, Ichigo and Rukia, and they gradually shared more and more of the spotlight with supposed side characters until they were totally marginalized. One Piece started as Luffy's story, but now he's sharing focus with his entire crew + whatever temporary bandmates are in the latest arc so it has an ensemble feel. Naruto famously lost focus immediately to Sasuke and the others, and I don't give a poo poo about Fairy Tale.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 3, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

MHA kinda has an ensemble cast but it usually just sort of rotates its main cast around. For a while there it kinda seemed like although Deku was obviously in the main role each arc some combination of Bakugou, Todoroki or Iida would usually fill up the other main character positions. Though with the latest arc it's been Kirishima in that role, and he's kinda been getting more consistent attention for a bit. I used to think Uraraka was also one of those rotating main characters but she hasn't really gotten any big focus since her fight against Bakugou way back when.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I prefer it the way it is with characters coming and going. Maybe we never see a bunch of them again, or maybe there are cool people who just hang out in the background and don't get any focus, because that's how the world works. If the only characters that populated the cast were the ones meant for development and memorable scenes the world would feel way smaller. Not every story arc involving pro heroes needs to exclusively have some combination of Eraserhead, Midnight, Cementoss, No. 13, Present Mic, Best Jeanist, and Mt. Lady just because those are the ones we've seen a bunch already who got introduced early on. Keep 'em coming I say. Even if Fatgum and Nighteye and Lockrock and Ryukyu don't stick around or do anything noteworthy after this arc their presence contributes to the setting in a positive way, I feel.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vengarr posted:

Having leads, plural, is the definition of an ensemble cast.

Bleach absolutely counts. There were exactly two leads, Ichigo and Rukia, and they gradually shared more and more of the spotlight with supposed side characters until they were totally marginalized. One Piece started as Luffy's story, but now he's sharing focus with his entire crew + whatever temporary bandmates are in the latest arc so it has an ensemble feel. Naruto famously lost focus immediately to Sasuke and the others, and I don't give a poo poo about Fairy Tale.

Then ensemble is kind of meaningless if it's this loosely defined.

Also by this definition MHA is definitely and ensemble hell of a lot more than Naruto.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I would also Bleach wasn't really ensemble; it was just that Kubo got way more interested in writing the Soul Reapers (Who were also way more popular then Ichigo's old friends) then he did Ichigo and his adventures and friends, even though Ichigo was still technically the 'hero', and the manga became more about the Soul Reapers because of it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

All of these manga being discussed essentially fall under the same shonen writing style, for better or worse. I mean they might deviate a little, but one main protagonist, rotating side protagonists (usually to go with a side fight and a flashback) and then a background cast of 'mentors' that sort of drift in and out. Not really sure you'd call it ensemble cast, it just leans that direction to give you breaks from the protagonist and to do some world-building.

MHA fuses western comic ideals with shonen writing but it doesn't really change up the narrative style overly much in this regard.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then ensemble is kind of meaningless if it's this loosely defined.

Also by this definition MHA is definitely and ensemble hell of a lot more than Naruto.

It's a theater term, not something from Websters. Wikipedia says "an ensemble cast is made up of cast members in which the principal actors and performers are assigned roughly equal amounts of importance and screen time in a dramatic production" and that sounds right to me. Naruto was a side character in his own manga for a good long time. Maybe he took back focus later on? I dropped it long before the end.

No one has close to Deku's screentime. We kept wondering who would end up stealing the MC's thunder, enough that it became the thread title, but no one ended up being Sasuke. Until Sasuke showed up. Bakugou and Todoroki have gone back to their home planet.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

by that definition, naruto was absolutely not an what you're saying it is. mha isn't either. both are unequivocally about one guy. hell, the very start of mha bluntly states that it's the story about how deku becomes the world's greatest hero

the cast get their share of screentime, yea, but the story is absolutely about one guy in either case. nobody gets close to the same screen time or story relevance as the protagonists

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Honestly out of all the shonen I have read MHA probably focuses on the protagonist the least.

Though I agree the difference isn't great and it's fairly standard by shonen standards

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

by that definition, naruto was absolutely not an what you're saying it is. mha isn't either. both are unequivocally about one guy. hell, the very start of mha bluntly states that it's the story about how deku becomes the world's greatest hero

the cast get their share of screentime, yea, but the story is absolutely about one guy in either case. nobody gets close to the same screen time or story relevance as the protagonists

Naruto was for like one arc and only about half that arc.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
nerds!!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Despite all of this Semantic Nonsense going on I bet we can all agree that MHA's Sauske is better than the actual Sasuke despite having a fraction of the screen time :colbert:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The lowest bar to clear

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Vengarr posted:

In the sense that she never gets an extended solo fight. (Hammond on Fishman Island comes closest, I guess.) She still fights; she just tends to either win or lose quickly, unless she's fighting as part of a team.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'll give up on Naruto because I only read half of it. And we agree on MHA.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

What's throwing you all off is that shounen is always advertised as an ensemble even when it isn't because it makes it easier for jump and company to market it, showing off a bunch of character designs to draw in a wider audience than they market would have. 90% of the cast is not, and never was intended to be, especially important, but they get plastered on everything anyway.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i squint constantly when i'm stoned so i guess i'd make a good stoned eraserhead cause people can barely tell i got my eyes open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I used to think Uraraka was also one of those rotating main characters but she hasn't really gotten any big focus since her fight against Bakugou way back when.

Certainly not a big focus, but I feel her story has gotten the most development and foreshadowing, excepting the Deku-Baku-Might story trio.