Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Volguus posted:

That's an interesting packaging. Looks safer from an installation perspective than what i had to do with intel cpus.

Yeah, I like it. I always got nervous putting in Intel CPUs, afraid that I would drop the CPU and bend the pins in the socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

:rip:

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/892568976731115520

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Paul just pulled the video. Essentially it showed the install process in depth (because it's Paul) - there's a screwed-down two-part latch system which looks very sturdy to say the least.

nerox
May 20, 2001

SourKraut posted:

I wish that tab said "RIP AND TEAR HERE" instead.

They should have run threads under the label and made it say "Rip the threads!"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
For those that missed it. the pulled video involved a green carrier frame, and the 1-2-3 install, and 3-2-1 uninstall.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Risky Bisquick posted:

For those that missed it. the pulled video involved a green carrier frame, and the 1-2-3 install, and 3-2-1 uninstall.

Also the contents of the box, which I guess is what the embargo covers since MSI has had a video covering the install process for a while now.

Alpha Man
Jun 23, 2010
The MSI video is still up, and they don't slather the paste and squeegee it all over the mobo: https://youtu.be/Z1j3S6MKB_E

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
There was a compression clamp of sorts as well holding the CPU inside the box

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Heh, I've seen that MSI video before, but apparently my mind blanked out at that orange thing, because I can't remember it. Probably fast forwarded or something.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Heh, I've seen that MSI video before, but apparently my mind blanked out at that orange thing, because I can't remember it. Probably fast forwarded or something.

Last time it was linked it was linked at like 1:30 or something, so after the orange bit is hidden.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Alpha Man posted:

The MSI video is still up, and they don't slather the paste and squeegee it all over the mobo: https://youtu.be/Z1j3S6MKB_E

It's not really an MSI video if they don't give the whole motherboard a good coating in radioshack TIM.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

This baby just keeps coming back for me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This baby just keeps coming back for me

In 5000 years, archeologists will dig up a computer store in the buried ruins of Detroit. And they will try to assemble a prehistorical PC from the scattered parts and install the PGA CPU like this instructional gif suggests.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

priznat posted:

I prefer the tangy zip of Miracle Whip.

You make me sick.

How "future-proofed" am I with a AM4 and B350 mobo in terms of upgradeability?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Alpha Man posted:

That's a pretty interesting and fun retention mechanism. Nice.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Wirth1000 posted:

You make me sick.

How "future-proofed" am I with a AM4 and B350 mobo in terms of upgradeability?

The current AM4 CPU and B350 board will work, this does not mean new cpus will necessarily work without a different board/chipset. See Intel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Vast majority of AM3 mobos just needed a BIOS update to use AM3+.

It was largely the bottom bin chipsets that didn't get an AM3+ upgrade.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone explain to a dweeb like me why Intel are using iGPUs and AMD aren't and what the pipelines for both are? Intel keep fumbling, and I'm a bit worried about Coffee Lake, but I also like the eventual Adaptive Sync support that a modern iGPU might support.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ufarn posted:

Can anyone explain to a dweeb like me why Intel are using iGPUs and AMD aren't and what the pipelines for both are? Intel keep fumbling, and I'm a bit worried about Coffee Lake, but I also like the eventual Adaptive Sync support that a modern iGPU might support.

AMD does use iGPUs, they call those chips APUs. They released previous-gen ones a while ago, you can now buy them retail, and they do support Freesync. However, there are no Ryzen based ones available yet. I'd definitely wait for Ryzen based APUs.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 2, 2017

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

The current AM4 CPU and B350 board will work, this does not mean new cpus will necessarily work without a different board/chipset. See Intel.

AMD is historically pretty good about this though, and I believe they've said AM4 will be supported through 2020. Bigger question is whether there will be any CPUs that actually warrant an upgrade in that time.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

VostokProgram posted:

AMD is historically pretty good about this though, and I believe they've said AM4 will be supported through 2020. Bigger question is whether there will be any CPUs that actually warrant an upgrade in that time.

Zen2 is most assuredly going to be AM4, and will likely be very worth it, ignoring any potential gains AMD might get from Zen steppings in 2018.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

Zen2 is most assuredly going to be AM4, and will likely be very worth it

If they could reach an out-of-the-box 4 core turbo of 4.5GHz or so with their existing architecture on a new process node, it would be a pretty decisive win. It doesn't even seem that far off.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Things like PCIe Gen4 will be coming out at the consumer level probably in the next year, but it won't be a must upgrade type of thing for most people. Same with more USB-C 10gig ports etc. If NV-DIMM RAM makes it into consumer systems within the next couple years I'd be surprised.

My old pc still just has pcie gen2 and I've never had the need to upgrade..

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

edit: nevermind, im dumb

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 2, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ufarn posted:

Intel does it because it's a huge value-add for office machines, the vast majority of which will never game. AMD has APUs with iGPUs, and eventually there will be Ryzen-based APUs but they tend to launch the processors themselves first and APUs later.

The expectations are different in the workstation/HEDT class, and 6/8C Ryzens are basically a HEDT-class processor. Intel's X99/X299 don't have an iGPU either. A lot of them will end up paired with Quadros in a workstation role, 1080 Tis in the gaming role, or just nothing at all in a headless server config.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Zen2 is most assuredly going to be AM4, and will likely be very worth it, ignoring any potential gains AMD might get from Zen steppings in 2018.

Oh I have no doubts that it will be good, but will it be good enough that if you spent $200 or $300 Ryzen today, that you would then get your money's worth out of another $200 or $300 Zen 2 chip?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

You would certainly like to think so. But Zen was quite a surprise, who knows how they are going to iterate it.

I'd upgrade if the process got it up to 4.5ghz at similar tdp and ran the fabric in async.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, that's what I don't get. The fabric link can switch between IF and PCIe "at will" apparently, at least the intersocket stuff, so it's already kind of async?

eames
May 9, 2009

Hmm, TR boosts to 4.2 Ghz on four cores. IIRC early 1800X only managed that with very high voltages, so it looks like the process is already improving or they're using the very best dies for it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eames posted:

Hmm, TR boosts to 4.2 Ghz on four cores. IIRC early 1800X only managed that with very high voltages, so it looks like the process is already improving or they're using the very best dies for it.

That's only two cores per die

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

That's only two cores per die

Ryzen could hit that on zero cores per die though. If the factory boost clocks are that high, they appear to have opened up whatever bottleneck that 4 GHz wall was about.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Has anyone seen any articles on how important dedicated power phases for the memory controller are for Ryzen? I notice that for TR the Asrock boards are both 11 phase, while everyone else is going 8+2. (Except for MSI, who are pushing 10+3!)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
it says 11 but the marketing pic for the power has 3 inductors separated from the other 8 in a little box for the taichi. But fwiw it just seems to be a 'thing' they do with some of their boards. All of the boards I took a cursory look at are the same, at any rate.

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 3, 2017

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

eames posted:

where are you getting this from?

eames
May 9, 2009

Scarecow posted:

where are you getting this from?

https://translate.google.com/transl...html&edit-text=

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh. I'm still in the same argument on AnandTech about that Hardware Unboxed benchmark.

Zucker2k posted:

Techspot takes the cake on that one. They basically clock the Ryzens as high as they'll go and try to pretend they're doing a clock for clock comparison. For what? Either you run the chips at stock, or you run them overclocked, to whatever clocks they can achieve. If you want to test a Ryzen chip at 4Ghz, you go for the 1800x which'll give you 4Ghz (XFR), but the price will be higher and it won't look too good so what do you do? You take the lower priced Ryzen, overclock it to 1800x+XFR levels (the highest you could clock Ryzen without exotic cooling) and test the chips in as few cpu-demanding games as possible. FYI, the 7820x turbos to 4.3Ghz and Turbo Max is 4.5Ghz. http://www.anandtech.com/show/11550/the-intel-skylakex-review-core-i9-7900x-i7-7820x-and-i7-7800x-tested so 4Ghz is actually an underclock, for stock conditions! The narrative is changing. Soon, a clearer picture will emerge.

And here's my attempt to explain why the test is good and useful for the nth loving time:

quote:

I'll attempt to explain why the methodology of this test is actually useful, even if the results are not particularly exciting.

Say this test was of 30 CPU bound games, what would that test tell you? It would tell you that the 7800X is faster than the 1600 in CPU bound games. However you'd be missing out on a large part of the picture because your test ignored games that are not CPU bound.

Which is why we have this test, it contains some CPU bound games and some GPU bound games, and some games that are just drat slow for no good reason. This makes it a better test than your CPU only bound test because it covers a wider range of possibilities.

And guess what! It even shows that the 7800X is faster than the 1600 in CPU bound titles, for example you can check the benchmark summary and see that the 7800X was 16 percent faster than the 1600 while playing Total War: Warhammer.

But it also shows that overall it barely matters which one you buy, because one CPU is faster in some titles and the other is faster in others.

Am I crazy? Am I committing some failing of logic? I just don't seem to be getting through to this guy.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

so still just a rumor at this stage bummer

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

yes

Measly Twerp posted:

Am I committing some failing of logic?

Yes

Measly Twerp posted:

I just don't seem to be getting through to this guy.

Because you are trying to present evidence and knowledge to people not on SA even here there is a 80-20 chance that it won't go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Being an Intel fanboy is a weird thing to be, probably those same people who like to pay a woman to kick them in the balls while wearing heels.