Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I finally got around to trying out the tri-slosher and holy poo poo. I went 24(7) / 7 on my first match. That thing feels loving unfair. Even more so once I got used to the 1-2 punch of burst bomb > slosh. That poo poo is bonkers.

I do miss my sloshing machine, though :smith: I hope it gets added soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Using the joy-cons independently with the motion controls is totally the way to go with this game, don't bother with the pro controller or putting joy cons into the grip.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

No that feels terrible.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Supercar Gautier posted:

No that feels terrible.

wrong

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I don't normally like shooters at all, but goddamn if this game isn't fun as hell. I rented it to give it a try and I will be purchasing it immediately when I return the game. I'm only a level 13 player right now, but I'm really enjoying the the multiplayer game and collecting weapons and gear. I'm excited to re-roll my powerups or abilities or whatever on those soon too. I've only barely played Salmon Run or the solo Canyon poo poo, but those seem really cool as well. League Gear and Ranked Play will neat to check out too. Do most of you stay out of those last two, or are they pretty legit? I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I can get to a B- with ease. Is Turf War the best mode or should I be trying something else?

Anyone exchanging friendcodes or just in-game Ids or what?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I finally got around to trying out the tri-slosher and holy poo poo. I went 24(7) / 7 on my first match. That thing feels loving unfair. Even more so once I got used to the 1-2 punch of burst bomb > slosh. That poo poo is bonkers.

I do miss my sloshing machine, though :smith: I hope it gets added soon.

Try ninja squid and a brush. :unsmigghh:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Using the joy-cons independently with the motion controls is totally the way to go with this game, don't bother with the pro controller or putting joy cons into the grip.

That's my east favorite thing to do for this game but I'm so used to using both hands to aim.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I really hate it when every loss in a losing streak is a close one. Please stop giving me false hope, game.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Using rollers feels sooooo satisfying, but there's something about that set of dualies that that have the inkjet and the curling bombs. It's downright sexy how it's got 3 of my favorite things combined into one. The coverage of the dualies seems surprisingly decent too.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Dr. Fetus posted:

I really hate it when every loss in a losing streak is a close one. Please stop giving me false hope, game.

I hate when I'm in my loving prime, first place, 8 or more kills and everyone else sucks the dick on my team so I'm getting like 815 and seeing losers with next to no coverage and 0 kills snag their 1112 or whatever. Motherfuckers. Being the best on the losing side and still coming in worse off than the absolute worst player of the winning side leaves me saaaaallty. Of course I am rarely the top dude when we actually do win. I'm the 2nd, third or 4th. I can't stand when I'm at the actual bottom either, clearly, but fortunately that doesn't happen all that often. It isn't as frustrating as the scenario where I'm leading the team, oddly.

Also, holy poo poo I never really think to play with them loose in each hand except with Arms. This is maybe going to be a game changer!

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 3, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Wait, Splatfest is only 24 hours? Uh, ok Nintendo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They've always been that way, I believe. I imagine people wouldn't like not being able to play Ranked for more than 24 hours.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

Dugong posted:

Wait, Splatfest is only 24 hours? Uh, ok Nintendo.

Perhaps they plan to start having them more often? They DID just have one.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I like to go on a loss streak when I'm 1 win from ranking up :(

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Maybe for people with tiny baby hands.
I might try it again if they release some comfortable grips for the Joycons.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I have heard some people say the ones that have extra battery packs actually feel better in the hand. Could be worth exploring.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

For the love of God people never use a double booster. It is the games bat signal for 'gently caress you'.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hahah yeah I've definitely gone on losing streaks the 2/3 times I've popped double exp tokens.

Aim for today is to get to level 30. Admittedly I'm only half a level away but it's a pretty busy day.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Once you get to level 30 the exp tickets cease to mean anything right?
Bragging rights (?) aside there's no point to leveling beyond that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that when the weapons stop?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Gorp posted:

You get Sea Snails when you level up, but yes. level means nothing past that point.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I tried it with tabletop mode and it felt terrible, I lost nearly every game cos I couldn't figure out how to aim properly. Weirdly enough, playing handheld mode feels way more natural, but I still prefer tv-mode + grip. Maybe in the future I will shill out some cash for a pro controller.

Also I finally unlocked ranked (after Grizzco closed its doors) and had a few games of splat zone. I feel like i'm understanding this mode wrong. Is the aim to cover the zone in ink for the longest time, or to have your team occupy the zone the longest? I just stood inside the zone splatting people and avoiding flankers but I wasn't really concentrating on covering the zone with ink. Most rounds ended too quickly for me to really figure out how the winning team won.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ink the zone to claim it for your team then stop the other team from inking it back to their colour. You don't have to physically stand on in the zone for the timer to tick down.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Cat Machine posted:

Ink the zone to claim it for your team then stop the other team from inking it back to their colour. You don't have to physically stand on in the zone for the timer to tick down.

Ah, sweet. This makes a lot more sense thanks.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

As a general rule of thumb, avoid standing in the zone as much as possible. It's going to be constantly under fire from grenades and the like. Unless you're using something with really short range you can cover a splat zone from a vantage point nearby.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
:siren: Mayo vs Ketchup Splatfest schedules :siren:
  • JP August 4th 15:00 JST - August 5th 15:00 JST
  • US+AU+NZ August 4th 21:00 PT - August 5th 21:00 PT
  • EU August 5th 16:00 CET - August 6th 16:00 CET
If the pre-release Splatfest was any indication, the scores will be tallied from all regions and the final result should pop out on Sunday at 8 am PT / 17:00 CET / 0:00 JST.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Are splatfests just turf war or do we get other modes too?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Just turf war.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Frankston posted:

Are splatfests just turf war or do we get other modes too?

Nope, they're just glorified Turf Wars. You do get shells for participating and leveling for titles.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Only 24 hours? Splatoon 1 splatfests went for like 2 or 3 days didn't they?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Splatfest is ranked turf war.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Escobarbarian posted:

Is that when the weapons stop?

Yes, you get one of the best guns in the game at 30 (Eliter 4k Scope) and also the worst gun in the game (Clash Blaster)

Also I like to go on loss streaks just when I reach a new rank :(

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

The Gorp posted:

Dr. Fetus posted:

You get Sea Snails when you level up, but yes. level means nothing past that point.

In Splatoon 1 they did increase the level cap, and added pieces of an outfit as rewards for the new levels. They may not do that in Splatoon 2, and leveling higher for that reason alone is probably silly, but there's a chance any incidental levels gained may have some benefit down the road.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Here's how Splatfest works;

First off, you will know when it starts; That bright sunny afternoon will turn into a thumping late-night party with fireworks and Off The Hook performing a song on a rooftop stage. All the levels are also early-evening variants, incidentally.

Ranked Mode and Salmon Run are suspended. It's all Turf War for the next 24 hours, with both wins and loses gradually increasing your Splatfest Rank. This works like Salmon Run's ranks, starting at [TOPIC CHOICE] Fanboy through to King/Queen. All the graffiti and artwork is also exclusively Splatfest-focused ones.

The final score is based on three categories; Popularity, Individual Wins, League Wins (ie; the premade teams). Winning each category is worth a point for that faction, so it's still possible for one side to sweep through with wins even if they weren't the popular one.

Sometimes you'll wind up facing your own faction because of player numbers. Win/lose isn't recorded for the Splatfest at-large, it's basically just a fun bit of Turf War so you're not sitting around hoping for a match against the vile forces of the other faction.

Finally; The Mayo-loving freaks are going to drown in blood...coloured ink as the majestic, and devilishly handsome, Ketchup Army claims victory over you pitiful weaklings :colbert:.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finally; The Mayo-loving freaks are going to drown in blood...coloured ink as the majestic, and devilishly handsome, Ketchup Army claims victory over you pitiful weaklings :colbert:.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I love this one so much but I'm still going ketchup

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

rogue wave posted:

Do most of you stay out of those last two, or are they pretty legit? I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I can get to a B- with ease. Is Turf War the best mode or should I be trying something else?

I play Turf War when I need a little xp or money, but otherwise the three rotating ranked modes seem pretty clearly intended to be the main playstyle once it's unlocked, and they're pretty awesome.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

rogue wave posted:

I don't normally like shooters at all, but goddamn if this game isn't fun as hell. I rented it to give it a try and I will be purchasing it immediately when I return the game. I'm only a level 13 player right now, but I'm really enjoying the the multiplayer game and collecting weapons and gear. I'm excited to re-roll my powerups or abilities or whatever on those soon too. I've only barely played Salmon Run or the solo Canyon poo poo, but those seem really cool as well. League Gear and Ranked Play will neat to check out too. Do most of you stay out of those last two, or are they pretty legit? I haven't tried yet, but hopefully I can get to a B- with ease. Is Turf War the best mode or should I be trying something else?

Anyone exchanging friendcodes or just in-game Ids or what?

I mostly stick to Turf War, and Salmon Run when it's available. Ranked is fun but it's too intense for me to play for long periods of time. I can only take it in small doses. Turf War is nice and chill.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Silver Falcon posted:

I mostly stick to Turf War, and Salmon Run when it's available. Ranked is fun but it's too intense for me to play for long periods of time. I can only take it in small doses. Turf War is nice and chill.

The MMR in Turf War seems really bad which is one of the few reasons I've been avoiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Isn't there a SR rotation during the fest? It might be open