Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you really asking us to spoil the game for you?

Father: I am your son

Snape kills Dumbledore

godDAMNed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Aeris Aerith dies

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghostlight posted:

The betrayer was inside you the whole time.

Speaking of which it's been years now but it's still a bummer how mediocre Betrayer ended up.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The calls are coming from inside the house!

I'm still enjoying Hollow Knight, but last night I fell into Deep Nest and yo gently caress that place. The Mantis Lords are giving me trouble too. They broke my health charm :(

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you really asking us to spoil the game for you?

Father: I am your son

No I'm spitballing. Not gonna read that until after I'm done. in Fort Frollic now.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Fart of Presto posted:

So how would that affect the SA Goons group?
The admins would need to befriend people who posts in the SA Goons thread before inviting them, or people requesting to join while also posting in the thread?

Edit - ignore this post

americanzero4128 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 3, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

Concentration of, as opposed to presence of.

Do Europeans even have more than Asians? Honest question, I don't know the percentages.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

Do Europeans even have more than Asians? Honest question, I don't know the percentages.

There's actually both Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA in modern humans, with humans/Denisovan mix happening after the Neanderthal mix. High concentrations of Denisovan DNA in eastern Asia including Siberia and the Americas (Land bridge and poo poo), higher in Southeast Asia, and especially high in Oceania. More Neanderthal in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and the Eurasian Steppes. The meeting point of Neanderthal and Denisovan DNA seems to be the Afghanistan-Pakistan-India area.

A quick search tells me Neanderthal genes lead to harder skin and hair while Denisovan DNA leads to a superior sense of smell and high-altitude adaptations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
headlander is pretty sweet so far, it's a chill fast-paced metroidvania that's nailing the aesthetic it puts forth

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Headlander in a lot of ways feels like an unlicensed Futurama game and I mean that in a good way. Also I want to hang out in the Fondlarium.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Oh, Prey's got a patch.

"Fixed crash when mimicking bass guitar in the Yellow Tulip."

"Mimics stand further back to prevent players having to look down too much."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

3 Lego games for $10

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/lego-pick-mix

What 3 is a good pick? I don't give a poo poo about coop.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

GreenNight posted:

3 Lego games for $10

IMO, Batman 2, Marvel Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings. I've heard less than great things about Avengers and Batman 3 but haven't played them myself so maybe wait for someone who has to chime in.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

GreenNight posted:

3 Lego games for $10

Marvel Super Heroes and Star Wars TFA are great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Excellent, thank you. Been playing the poo poo out of Lego City on Switch and need some more Lego.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hollow Knight is on sale again and just got the first of three (!) free content updates which added new bosses, a new fast travel system, and other surprises. I really, really think you should get it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Too Shy Guy posted:

Hollow Knight is on sale again and just got the first of three (!) free content updates which added new bosses, a new fast travel system, and other surprises. I really, really think you should get it.
Seriously. It's the best metroidvania on Steam.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

Do you know if they are are post game bosses? Or if the game is structured in a way that it doesn't really matter at what point you face them?

I want to buy the game but don't know if I should go for it now or wait until all the free content stuff is out.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, I've been eyeing the game but since I rarely replay games, it doesn't seem smart for me to get it until all the additions are out.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Too Shy Guy posted:

only 34% off? do I look like I'm made of money? wake me up when it's like $4 or in a bundle

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hollow Knight loving owns and it's goddamn massive, easily a 30+ hour game.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Is there any reason to not get the two Ground Control games in a pack for 3.05€?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Det_no posted:

Do you know if they are are post game bosses? Or if the game is structured in a way that it doesn't really matter at what point you face them?

I want to buy the game but don't know if I should go for it now or wait until all the free content stuff is out.

I don't think there's really any post-boss stuff in Hollow Knight, it's loaded with optional areas and bosses and powers you can do whenever you manage to find them. I'd assume this content is the same, since they have to be designing it for people who've beaten the game AND people picking it up right now. You'd probably be pretty safe getting the game now and just popping back in to see new stuff when it's added (that's what I'm doing since I've had it for awhile), but waiting for the rest of it or deeper discounts wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As long as everyone plays it eventually, I'm satisfied. :colbert:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

To throw a contrarian opinion out there, Hollow Knight is a pretty standard and unexciting metroidvania with good art and an interesting setting. Movement is floaty and weightless, the only challenge it offers comes from precision platforming (either jumping to tiny platforms or perfectly jumping over boss attacks), the level design is inane and extremely boring (almost every zone is just a big donut), the minimap system is stupid (in effect you nearly finish a zone before you unlock a minimap for it, then you can go fill it in by backtracing and exploring). The upgrades are all generic genre tropes and don't do anything interesting (you get a double jump, a dash, the ability to walk through poison water, etc). There's only one weapon type and upgrades make it do a little more damage, you get a grand total of three different attacks and three different spells and the bosses and enemies are mechanically mostly the same exact bosses and enemies you've fought in dozens of metroidvanias.

It's not a terrible game or even a bad game, it's competent and aesthetically pleasing. It's also in my opinion not even close to the best metroidvania on Steam and I could name several off the top of my head that I enjoyed more (Salt & Sanctuary which I understand not everyone liked, Vagante if that counts as a metroidvania, Cave Story, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Guacamelee, Ori)

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Avalerion posted:

The sims 3's atrocious performance should not be understated, you pretty much need mods for the game to not become unplayable as it goes and even then it freezes, hangs or bugs out on me frequently.

And while 4 doesn't have half as much fun stuff to do as 3 did, it did add a lot of quality of life features like multitasking (sims don't need to stop doing whatever they are doing to talk to someone now). I'd just get her 4.

Sims 3 runs pretty well on modern machines. I would never play it without an SSD. The game was simply ahead of it's time, but times have caught up.

I also never got why people have a hard one for multitasking in Sims 4. Sims 3 has multitasking, what's the big deal?

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 3, 2017

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

TS3 is amazing. One of my most favorite games because of all the emergent storytelling/wacky situations that occur. TS4 will probably get there in a few years when it's got a ton of expansion packs. It's got a lot of promise but not that much content. The loss of the open world is no big deal, but I do miss create-a-style. TS4 runs better on any machine than TS3, surprisingly.

e: emotions in TS4 are too gamey but whatever

YOURFRIEND posted:

I also never got why people have a hard one for multitasking in Sims 4. Sims 3 has multitasking, what's the big deal?
Have you played the Sims 4? TS3 doesn't have multitasking in the way TS4 does. It's a very good addition.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Det_no posted:

You can attempt them pretty early, but you uh

might want to be pretty heavily upgraded before you do so

this boss is entirely too hunky for me to handle

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Hollow Knight is competent, enjoyable and rather difficult (which is a good thing), but Environmental Station Alpha is still peak metroidvania to me.

You should play both anyway.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

deep dish peat moss posted:

To throw a contrarian opinion out there, Hollow Knight is a pretty standard and unexciting metroidvania with good art and an interesting setting. Movement is floaty and weightless, the only challenge it offers comes from precision platforming (either jumping to tiny platforms or perfectly jumping over boss attacks), the level design is inane and extremely boring (almost every zone is just a big donut), the minimap system is stupid (in effect you nearly finish a zone before you unlock a minimap for it, then you can go fill it in by backtracing and exploring). The upgrades are all generic genre tropes and don't do anything interesting (you get a double jump, a dash, the ability to walk through poison water, etc). There's only one weapon type and upgrades make it do a little more damage, you get a grand total of three different attacks and three different spells and the bosses and enemies are mechanically mostly the same exact bosses and enemies you've fought in dozens of metroidvanias.

It's not a terrible game or even a bad game, it's competent and aesthetically pleasing. It's also in my opinion not even close to the best metroidvania on Steam and I could name several off the top of my head that I enjoyed more (Salt & Sanctuary which I understand not everyone liked, Vagante if that counts as a metroidvania, Cave Story, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Guacamelee, Ori)

These are... actually completely incorrect? The movement is very tight and well-controlled, not weightless at all. There is challenge in the really well designed bosses. If you have nearly finished a zone before unlocking the minimap, that just means you're really bad at exploring.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

GreenNight posted:

3 Lego games for $10

Marvel Super Heroes has optimization issues and your characters sometimes get permanently stuck in the geometry. For all the hand-holding the game gives you, it sometimes refuses to explain new mechanics or how to do things. Iron Man uses electricity, but it is not the right kind that unlocks gated content.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

These are... actually completely incorrect? The movement is very tight and well-controlled, not weightless at all. There is challenge in the really well designed bosses. If you have nearly finished a zone before unlocking the minimap, that just means you're really bad at exploring.

Huh? The weightlessness of the movement is the main thing that turned me off about it. Yes, it's very tight - it's way too tight. There's no momentum at all to any of your movements. You can change direction mid-air, you have to keep holding down forward when you jump to move forward through the air, that's exactly what weightless means in this context. I posted about it earlier in this thread and the consensus seemed to be that some people hate that kind of movement and some people hate anything except that kind of movement, but it's absolutely true about this game.

I don't agree about the bosses but that's subjective I guess, and the map seller was most often placed near the boss fight itself. I would book it to the boss to find him then go back and explore the level afterward when I played.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I guess when people say controls are floaty I usually think it means hard to control.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I would describe the Hollow Knight controls as extremely tight. I bought it on sale and I'm loving it. I love the bug theme, I love the vast majority of the artwork. Its great.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

I guess when people say controls are floaty I usually think it means hard to control.

Yeah you're right, floaty wasn't the right word and I don't know why I used it

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

deep dish peat moss posted:

Huh? The weightlessness of the movement is the main thing that turned me off about it. Yes, it's very tight - it's way too tight. There's no momentum at all to any of your movements. You can change direction mid-air, you have to keep holding down forward when you jump to move forward through the air, that's exactly what weightless means in this context. I posted about it earlier in this thread and the consensus seemed to be that some people hate that kind of movement and some people hate anything except that kind of movement, but it's absolutely true about this game.

I don't agree about the bosses but that's subjective I guess, and the map seller was most often placed near the boss fight itself. I would book it to the boss to find him then go back and explore the level afterward when I played.

If you prefer games with a jumping system where as soon as your feet leave the ground you are committed to an unchanging trajectory and speed, then that is fine. But Hollow Knight needs the kind of fine control it gives you when jumping for many of the platforming and fighting sections. If you tried to put the kind of jumping you're talking about into the game without changing other aspects such as the platforming and enemy encounters to accommodate that, then the game would be very different and much worse IMO. To the point where I'm not sure how you can say you like the game but not the jumping/movement, since the two are so inextricably tied together.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A youtuber actually made a really interesting video about movement in video games. It shows all the different type of movements used in games especially platform. Subject might sound boring but it's actually really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amCd-mWqGlQ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of which it's been years now but it's still a bummer how mediocre Betrayer ended up.
It's still clogging up my backlog. I've never played it and I don't even know why or when I bought it. :steam:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Man... I was debating buying Foxhole and Hollow Knight. Debated it so long the Foxhole sale actually ended and now I can't get both with my leftover wallet.

Don't do as I do, kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know for sure, but that was his argument for why whites were technologically and culturally superior up until a study confirmed the complete opposite, resulting in several hilarious threads in the forums in which he posts were he was called out on it, progressing straight past the neanderthal dogwhistling into saying that it didn't count because "Asians have more junk dna than any other race".

Great guy, can't wait to buy his fantasy role playing game in 2030.