Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

kazr posted:

Chiming in to say that the Kirkland brand 100% maple syrup is incredible

Is there such thing as bad maple syrup??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

naem posted:

There are grades of maple syrup based on darkness. The darker the syrup, the stronger the flavor. costco's syrup is grade A dark which is pretty good. grade A golden is junk, grade A very dark is too much for some folks and usually only used for baking.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

naem posted:

oh you sweet summer child . . .

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I do wish Costco's refillable soda wasn't Pepsi though.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Their fountain drinks were Coke at one point, guess they had to switch to keep costs down.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

What happens if I don't stop for the receipt checker at the door? I mean, I'm sure it says in my membership agreement that I have to let them check. But what would they physically do about it? They aren't cops, they can't hold me there, and I don't have to tell them who I am. I guess they could take my picture and post it on some wall of undesirables... now, I'm not gonna actually do this because what would be the point, but I'm curious how the employees are told to respond to this.

Apparently after reading up on this because I was curious and I mentioned it before in this thread when you sign up you agree to them searching your cart at any time and failing to stop means by their definition have gone against the terms of your membership agreement. It also means they can physically stop you, that's the nuts part. Same rules don't apply for Walmart or any other retail establishment that's doesn't require membership. Just a bit of freedom for that $1.50 dog

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Plus it only takes 5 seconds and if it is busy they just quickly check a few items and let you go. A small price to pay to save so much.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

You'd be mad to steal from Costco, if they went out of business where would we get our precious dogs?

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chinatown posted:

lets see some photos of the actual food

If this thread still exists by the time I work up the will to voluntarily go to sams club I will do this for you OP

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

naem posted:

Canadian here. There is absolutely some motor-oil-rear end bottom tier maple syrup out there. It'd generally be better than your Aunt Jemima corn syrup but still really bad.

I've never bought it at Costco though. My wife's family makes it every winter and we end up with huge jug that lasts a year.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Peachfart posted:

Plus it only takes 5 seconds and if it is busy they just quickly check a few items and let you go. A small price to pay to save so much.

What are they even looking for. What I don't get is when I am buying $400 in office supplies they check for 5 seconds. If I am buying $80 in fruit and baby food it takes 5 sec. And when I bought $600 in booze and high end food, 5 sec.
IDGI

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Snowmankilla posted:

What are they even looking for. What I don't get is when I am buying $400 in office supplies they check for 5 seconds. If I am buying $80 in fruit and baby food it takes 5 sec. And when I bought $600 in booze and high end food, 5 sec.
IDGI

The primary purpose is to mark your receipt

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
And make sure you are not stealing because they think you are a thief.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My wife forwarded me some article about Costco shortly after we joined that had tips/tricks/info from a Costco employee. One of the items was that the receipt checker was checking to make sure you didn't get charged for extra items. I had a few cases when the checkout person scanned an item I was buying a number of one too many times (but corrected it during checkout). Once when I was having my receipt checked, the receipt checker asked, "Six bags of dried oranges? Is that right?" Yes, it was. So I'm fine with them checking my receipt, not just because I agreed to it, but because they have my back.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

IDGI

You don't understand they are counting the items in the cart?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

GI_Clutch posted:

My wife forwarded me some article about Costco shortly after we joined that had tips/tricks/info from a Costco employee. One of the items was that the receipt checker was checking to make sure you didn't get charged for extra items. I had a few cases when the checkout person scanned an item I was buying a number of one too many times (but corrected it during checkout). Once when I was having my receipt checked, the receipt checker asked, "Six bags of dried oranges? Is that right?" Yes, it was. So I'm fine with them checking my receipt, not just because I agreed to it, but because they have my back.

That's funny because I know I have been double charged for items in various occasions and the checker didn't seem to notice at all. I figured it out after getting home. They always refund the amount but the checkers are not looking to make sure you are overcharged. Also they mark the receipt to make sure you don't just walk back in an fill a cart with the same items and try to walk out again. The whole thing is a loss prevention tactic and anyone who tells you differently is blowing smoke up your rear end.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Trastion posted:

That's funny because I know I have been double charged for items in various occasions and the checker didn't seem to notice at all. I figured it out after getting home. They always refund the amount but the checkers are not looking to make sure you are overcharged. Also they mark the receipt to make sure you don't just walk back in an fill a cart with the same items and try to walk out again. The whole thing is a loss prevention tactic and anyone who tells you differently is blowing smoke up your rear end.

This. It's really not too hard to figure out. They're checking if you're taking a 72" TV out plus it provides the illusion of security. It's pretty simple.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You don't understand they are counting the items in the cart?

There is now way they are counting 50 things in 5 sec. You don't understand how counting works?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Snowmankilla posted:

There is now way they are counting 50 things in 5 sec. You don't understand how counting works?

They aren't. They're just looking for big ticket stuff.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Literally turgid right now thinking about Costco

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So does anyone else use Instacart? Cause I just got an e-mail that Costco deliveries are now available in my area! :krad:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Their Polish sausage hot dogs are huge and delicious. It's 1 foot of meat in your mouth + a drink for 1.50$!!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Glazier posted:

So does anyone else use Instacart? Cause I just got an e-mail that Costco deliveries are now available in my area! :krad:

I just signed up and they costco prices are not true to store, i am sickened.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Plus not food court experience. Do you go to a temple and not partake in the holy rituals?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

How dare that things brought to you are not the same cost as things gathered yourself.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Went to costco for a dog and brought a sandwich tray back to work.

It was emptied in less than 5 minutes.

PBUC!

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Been working late the last couple of weeks and not been able to pick up my sundries from Costco. Roommate decided to be helpful and bought 1-ply toilet paper. :(

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

oh you sweet summer child . . .

:chloe:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm taking the wife and kids this Saturday but at 9:00am when they open because it gets too crowded later in the day and my wife said to me when I was thinking about the dogs "That's too early to get hot dogs". Does Costco sell cheap divorce lawyer fees?

Aldo I'm gonna get 2lbs of smoked Gouda for $6 because their cheese is amazingly cheap. Oh and the salmon cakes because those are the best thing Costco sells.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Croatoan posted:

9:00am "That's too early to get hot dogs".

:chloe:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Croatoan posted:

I'm taking the wife and kids this Saturday but at 9:00am when they open
really? mine opens at 9:30 on sat

10am other days

kinda sucks imo because id like to go at 8am and get it over with and on with doing other things afterwards instead of awkwardly being in the middle of a day and then traffic everywhere else is a shitshow

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
they mark up prices from the glorious costco price and then in addition mark up a standard 20% or whatever for a delivery fee which is actually marked (the initial markup is unmarked) and then ask for tips for the driver
they're trying to have silicon valley margins, in other words, when the margins should be some costco-rear end margins
it would be a good service if it wasn't venture-backed

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gas opens earlier than the store. I was there 30 minutes before store opening one time, and there was a line of people waiting at the door to get in.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Thanks guys! They do indeed open at 9:30 instead of 9:00. Maybe that won't be "too early for hot dogs".

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
A hot dog? Never knew a time too early

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

You can start a hot dog at 11:59pm and eat it until 12:01am and still be ready for your next one

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

the good fax machine posted:

I bet that pizza loving sucks, like the poo poo you had in the cafeteria in grade school

It's worse. I've had Costco, Sams and BJs membership and for food courts Sams is worse than garbage tier.

Costco is just superior by far.
BJs has a lot of brand name bulk stuff.
Sams has some cheap stuff and bakery/cake is okay but gently caress Walmart poo poo it isn't worth it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lol if you think that there wont be anyone getting food at the foodcourt 5 minutes after they open

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

I had the first $1.50 dog+soda/refill of the day once and took my first bite one minute after they opened. It was divine. PBUC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Praiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise be to Costco