Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

In the grandstands stage left, pretty good sightlines, hope the sounds ok!

Edit: sound is not the best, but I can live with it, I'll just download it tomorrow

Noise Machine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Sound in the second set greatly improved, that was a hell of a first Dead show for me.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
So you witnessed this? Where did the 2nd DS verse end up, was it after Drums/Space?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Got tickets to tomorrrows show at Fenway with my dad and cousin! My dad and I went last year, it was literally probably one of the best nights of my life just jamming and drinking with my dad. I couldn't be happier to spend Father's Day with him tomorrow night at the show.

Ended up spending a lot on second section first row lawn seats, but it'll be worth it!

Maaaaan that was a blast. What an awesome night at Fenway!!

I'm a relatively new fan and I've got a question: has there been a big improvement in the band the past couple years? Were shows 5 years ago this good? Better, worse?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I'm a relatively new fan and I've got a question: has there been a big improvement in the band the past couple years? Were shows 5 years ago this good? Better, worse?

This specific band got together last year.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Juaguocio posted:

So you witnessed this? Where did the 2nd DS verse end up, was it after Drums/Space?

Yup, they jammed on Space as they do, then there were some little allusions to Dark Star, and they went into the second verse.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

BigFactory posted:

This specific band got together last year.

Ah true, I guess I meant like remaining members touring through the 2000s up to now

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Dead & Company keeps getting better and better as they keep playing. Now they're really starting to experiment, shake up the standard combos (splitting up China > Rider, Help/Slip/Frank and Scarlet > Fire) and try new things! I've seen them a total of six times now (first in 2015, three in 2016 and two this year) and each show is better than the last.

I went to both nights of Fenway again this year and it was magical! The scene was better than last year (a good sized Shakedown behind the beer works) and the band sounded better than ever.

Saturday night's highlights were Ramble on Rose, Sugaree and pretty much all of the second set (the Dancin in the Street was the best version they've done yet, and the Estimated > Eyes and Franklin's Tower were out of this world).

Sunday was the best though - and it easily blew away every time I had seen them prior. The first set with the acoustic trio was memorable - I can't believe they hadn't done an acoustic Dark Star before, as it sounded excellent. The second set was bliss, with the best versions of Truckin, Fire on the Mountain and St. Stephen I've ever heard (the Fire in particular rivals the latter Grateful Dead years without a doubt). Oteil singing Fire on the Mountain was perfect. The return of Dark Star after Drums and space blew my loving mind. And the Brokedown Palace encore was nearly perfect as well.

All in all just a phenomenal weekend. Everyone should catch this band while they can - it's the best band out there carrying on the torch of the Dead, imo.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Anyone else do the meet up at the movies tonight? I thought it was a great show, Brent heavy which is good in my book. Great Dear Mr Fantasy and a Black Muddy River encore. More concert than movie crowd where I was, lots of people dancing and singing in the theater which was fun.

Edit- happy birthday Jerry!

Final Blog Entry fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 2, 2017

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm a Dead neophyte and only really listened to Live/Dead and Europe '72 prior to watching Long Strange Trip and listening to the official release of Cornell '77 which I freakin' love. I know this is a super broad question but what are some other shows that are essential?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I am a recent fan of the Dead, 41 years old and only been listening for the last year, but I can easily recommend 3-29-89 Nassau Coliseum (Branford Marsalis sits in for the entire second set, with a truly wonderful Eyes of the World, and Dark Star-Drums-Space-Dark Star is really something else with a Jazz saxophonist channeling his inner Coltrane), and 9-20-1990 Madison Square Garden, one of the first shows with new pianist Bruce Hornsby, after Brent died a short while before. China Cat Sunflower- I Know You Rider is flat out incredible.

I'm working my way backwards into the 80's and 70's.

And I think Senator Al Franken is right about that Althea solo.

Billy the Mountain fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 3, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Shark Sandwich posted:

I'm a Dead neophyte and only really listened to Live/Dead and Europe '72 prior to watching Long Strange Trip and listening to the official release of Cornell '77 which I freakin' love. I know this is a super broad question but what are some other shows that are essential?

Oklahoma State Fair 10/19/73, released as Dick's Picks 19

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Shark Sandwich posted:

A few recommendations, across the eras:

3/01/69 - Fillmore West (Part of a four-night stand; all four nights are really solid)

8/27/72 - Veneta, Oregon (Released as Sunshine Daydream. It's peak early 70s Dead.)

7/17/76 - Orpheum, San Francisco (Dave's Picks Vol. 18)

12/31/78 - Winterland, San Francisco (Released as The Closing of Winterland)

10/8/89 & 10/9/89 - Hampton Coliseum (Released as Formerly The Warlocks)

9/17/90 & 9/20/90 - MSG (Part of a multi-night stand in NYC; the September 17th show is Dick's Picks 9)

5/26/93 - Cal Expo, Sacramento (Not essential, but one of the last really solid shows before the roughness of '94 and '95; Road Trips Vol 2 No 4)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
5-2-70, Binghampton NY (Dicks Picks 8) is really good. Acoustic first set and electric second.
10-1-94, Boston is another one I listen to every once in a while. It's a pretty great 90's show. Best scarlet fire they ever played.

Edit:
5-7-78 Troy NY is another one I had listened to recently that's pretty darn good.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 3, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
If you want to dig in to some audience recordings, which is a big part of the culture, here is a good list of some of the best:

http://gdluckynumbers.org/downloadables.htm

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I would recommend Dick's Picks Volume 12 from June 26th and June 28th, 1974. The shows have some really unique, amazing jams, Phil is loud in the mix, and the playing is super tight. Some highlights:

- The China Cat Sunflower > Mind Left Body Jam > I Know You Rider is the best I've heard, better than the Veneta 72 or Europe 72 version imo.
- The Other One > Spanish Jam is incredible
- The Eyes of the World is one of the best versions I've heard, and has a great Phil bass solo.
- I'd also argue that this CD has the "definitive" live version of the Weather Report Suite. It's masterfully played!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 4, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Isn't phil always loud in the mix if its a sbd?

That is one of those soundboard tapes where ALL you hear is Phil, Keith and Jerry, though. It's a good show.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 4, 2017

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Isn't phil always loud in the mix if its a sbd?

That is one of those soundboard tapes where ALL you hear is Phil, Keith and Jerry, though. It's a good show.

Perhaps, but I feel like he's louder in this mix than I've heard in others.

BigFactory posted:

5-2-70, Binghampton NY (Dicks Picks 8) is really good. Acoustic first set and electric second.

Seconding this recommendation - both sets are pretty phenomenal. "The Other One" from this show is a scorcher

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"The Grateful Dead are dumb"

Long Strange Trip is great.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Shark Sandwich posted:

Roark already mentioned Veneta, but if you're in the mood for more '72, 9/21 (Dick's Picks 36) and 11/17 (Dave's Picks 11) are both outstanding shows.

Dang it, I still need to make a December '72 post. One of these days... or months.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for all the recommendations and the nice big queue of shows to get through!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

saw a pretty solid cover band last night, they put on a great show for jerry day. obviously they can play, but their harmonies were really incredible, all had great voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31NBTg4UFj4

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wish that was a butt rock band that only did dead covers.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

If it counts, there's a band here that does butt rock and dead covers.

And a CB4 cover last time I saw them, oddly enough.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've had a love-hate thing for those guys ever since they played for free at the main campground at the Texas Pop Int'l. That was 2 weeks after Woodstock, which was around this time of summer. All day from around noon to 10 or midnight or whatever, a bunch of bands would play in triple digit heat. Then everyone would break up and go camp for the night, and the Dead would play all night.
Then whenever the Grateful Dead came around, like someone mentioned the OKC Fairgrounds show in 1973, I either had something else going on, or I was like gently caress those guys, they're a garage band. Anyhow I was doing minor auto body repair stuff today, and listening to Dave's Pick 15, which was in Nashville in 1977. And it's excellent, mostly. If that hasn't been recommended already.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

https://www.relix.com/locknlive/

Free stream of the Lockn Festival this weekend. Bob and Phil are doing Terrapin Station at 11 tonight (est). Also sets by JRAD, Phil and friends, and lots of other good stuff over the weekend.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

There's been a bit of news in the Grateful Dead world, so I thought I'd resurrect a "dead" thread!

Dave Lemieux has announced the 2018 Dave's Picks subscription (now available for $99 early bird with free shipping), with the first 2018 release being November 6, 1977 (Volume 25, to be released in January). He also teased a legendary performance coming out on Dave’s Picks Volume 26 in which "available recordings don’t do the music justice." I'm real curious to see what era that'll be - I'm hoping for more variety, with something in the late sixties or an eighties show.

I've listened to a little bit of 11/6/77 from the archive, and it looks like it'll be a great show. The Half-Step, Jack Straw, Samson and Truckin' are all barn burners! I haven't subscribed in previous years, but I might bite the bullet and take the plunge, as I don't want to miss out on certain releases (like the Eugene, OR 1978 show).

Link/Source: https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-release-famed-1977-show-daves-picks-volume-25

There's a lot going on in the touring world too -

Dead & Company start their "Fall" tour in eight days in San Francisco for the Band Together Area Benefit concert, in which all proceeds go in support of the local relief and long-term recovery in the regions impacted by the recent CA fires. Their tour continues on 11/12 at MSG and continues through 12/8 in Sunrise, FL. I'll be going to the two Boston Garden shows on 11/17 & 11/19!

Phil Lesh & the Terrapin Family Band have been touring a little bit (just got off of the Halloween run) and have a few shows announced in November in Chicago, Tennessee and Alabama.

JRAD and DSO also have fall tours that are ongoing - so there's something for everyone!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That seems like a lot of money for music that is essentially free and easily available in a lot of different formats. I guess they charge what they think they can charge.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

BigFactory posted:

That seems like a lot of money for music that is essentially free and easily available in a lot of different formats. I guess they charge what they think they can charge.

Audience recordings are readily available via public domain but not that many high-quality soundboards. They can charge what they want (I think $99 for four three disc sets and a bonus disc is a good deal, personally) because they’re limited numbered releases and highly collectible.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Audience recordings are readily available via public domain but not that many high-quality soundboards. They can charge what they want (I think $99 for four three disc sets and a bonus disc is a good deal, personally) because they’re limited numbered releases and highly collectible.

Oh I thought it was for a streaming service. That's not as bad.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They often but not always have cool stuff with them, photos and essays which I like.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

algebra testes posted:

They often but not always have cool stuff with them, photos and essays which I like.

The Dave's Picks series is certainly more fleshed out than the Dick's Picks series in this regard. The additional insight, essays, photos, and artwork is always fun.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently the Phish releases are terrible for this with no information as to why a particular show is inportant beyond a 20 minute Reba or whatever.

And I like Phish, but if thats true thats a bummer.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Got on the presale for Dead & Co in Orlando next week and got pit tickets for me and some friends. Then work went and sent me to Atlanta this week so I went ahead and grabbed a ticket for tomorrow night. Glad to get to catch two shows this tour. I've been streaming most of the shows this tour and have been pretty happy with what I've heard, personally.

Pman5000
Feb 4, 2003

"You're so fuckin' money and you don't even know it"
Got tickets for Dead & Co. July 3rd at Shoreline (http://www.dead.net/fanphotos/shoreline-ampitheatre-steal-your-face)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I really wish Dead and Co fix the bass mixing (or Oteil fixes his tone). I don't want or expect Oteil to be Phil but I'd love to actually HEAR what Oteil does at the shows.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Kvlt! posted:

I really wish Dead and Co fix the bass mixing (or Oteil fixes his tone). I don't want or expect Oteil to be Phil but I'd love to actually HEAR what Oteil does at the shows.

From what I've heard, it seems like Mayer's tone is going too deep and taking away some of Oteil's frequencies, especially when he uses the envelope filter.

I feel like Phil's tone was at its best when he was using short scale basses in the early days, and Oteil's sound is pretty far away from that. He also uses his fingers, and Phil has always been a pick player.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Reports coming out that John Perry Barlow has died.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
drat, RIP.

What's the greatest Barlow Dead song? I'd probably pick "Let It Grow."