Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I give a poo poo, and I know plenty of others who do, but it does seem to be struggling to get thar groundswell you usually see. I think that might be a combination of it being a new property from a not-massive developer or publisher (you know if this was Eidos or something it'd be inescapable, but Deep Silver doesn't have that level of pull) and that it's a bit of a weird anomaly genre-wise so it can't pull a lot of a preexisting fanbase.

It's just sort of gunning it alone, and while I'm sure it'll be a good game it might struggle because of that. I hope it doesn't, western AAA gaming's been in kind of a rut in non-multiplayer games recently and it could sure use some color, originality, and something with less/no Literal or Figurative Dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

10 years ago Agents would have been a middle market game, the kind that sold for $40 to make up for the lack of marketing. But the middle market basically doesn't exist any more so now you have decent enough games releasing for $60+ with no marketing competing against other games who's publishers are spending millions on marketing for basically the same price point.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'd also wager that no one has any real idea of what Agents of Mayhem is.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah my buddy who is a huge Saints Row fan saw an early trailer and thought it was an Overwatch style game, but hes also never played Overwatch. So I think it looks like Overwatch to people that haven't played Overwatch.

Also :lol: at trying to sell a pre-order for $75 on Humble Bundle.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah my buddy who is a huge Saints Row fan saw an early trailer and thought it was an Overwatch style game, but hes also never played Overwatch. So I think it looks like Overwatch to people that haven't played Overwatch.

I think this is the sort of thing it's gonna be struggling with, yeah. They've been very open about what kind of game it is, its inspirations and everything, but the fact that it's not cleanly within a typical 'box' means that it's going to get very misjudged. Aesthetically it looks a lot like an Overwatch clone, so to a lot of people it IS one despite being basically nothing like Overwatch gameplay-wise and only surface-level aesthetically.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've read every post in this thread, and in every game where I can change my outfit color I rock the royal purple and I'm not sure what the game is. I assumed saints row but with less story and quick-swappable characters? Maybe a more rigid mission structure. Guaranteed to have a billion bits of DLC for alternate costumes and maybe more characters since it looks like there probably won't be normal SR customization.

If it's fun it will make a lot of money and I do actually trust deep silver to make fun games more than anything else. I dont trust them to make cool characters though, lest we forget the auto tune pimp. I expect a bunch of shallow/wacky reference characters, and gat.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 26, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Yeah it does, but there's not even a contingent that's going "hell yeah this looks awesome, preordered" that most games get. Nobody seems to give a poo poo.

It's not Saints Row 5, or a Saints Row 2 remake.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It looks like Battleborn: Third Person Edition.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I pre-ordered agents and I am looking forward to it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I will buy it on sale and play it to about 84% completion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bakalakadaka posted:

I pre-ordered agents and I am looking forward to it.

:same:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

I'm with these guys.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I'm going to wait until it bombs and then buy it for $20-30 later this year.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Dr. Abysmal posted:

:same: because I already blew my video game budget on Destiny 2

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Also :lol: at trying to sell a pre-order for $75 on Humble Bundle.

It's not just Agents you'd get for $75, you'd get the $15 bundle (and everything below) and Agents for $60.

Still don't pre-order.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Can't wait to buy the game of the century edition for $15.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deltasquid posted:

SRIV was a masterpiece though, taking the best of both worlds: over the top humor combined with some really good character writing and excellent satire of other popular games at the time.

I like SR4 a lot, but "masterpiece" is taking it a step or two too far, at least for me. The hellish Stilwater VR thing is just exhausting to look at after a while.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 3, 2017

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I preordered Agents, and I'm excited about it because it looks like a well-made entertaining game, but oh boy was it a bad premise to make a game about, I'm not surprised they're having a hard time marketing it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

I preordered Agents, and I'm excited about it because it looks like a well-made entertaining game, but oh boy was it a bad premise to make a game about, I'm not surprised they're having a hard time marketing it.

I watched the trailer and I'm still not entirely sure what the premise is supposed to be

Going back to Saints Row though, I've been playing through IV and Gat Outta Hell, and most of IV still holds up nicely. GOH really doesn't though. Flying is fun, the new powers and weapons are neat, and Hell has a fresh layout, but it all goes to waste with endless busywork side-missions. Gat and Kinzie are also pretty un-compelling as the protagonists, especially coming fresh off of IV with any of the Boss personalities (Cockney for life though).

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dr. Abysmal posted:

yeah this feels like a downgrade from SR4, I can't go back to regular old driving and shooting after having superpowers for a whole game

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I watched the trailer and I'm still not entirely sure what the premise is supposed to be
Saints Row A-Team, like Crackdown but not, except you can only swap instead of having multiple characters working together.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tiggum posted:

The vocal minority - that'd be us - really like the character customisation, but I remember hearing that Volition's stats showed that most people just played with the default character anyway. :shrug:

That's incredibly depressing.

Unless it gets crazy good post-release hype here, the lack of customization moved this from something I was potentially interested in to the 'Steam Sale... maybe?' pile.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
I'm always down for some good character creation but I don't need it in *every* game.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Zaa Boogie posted:

I'm always down for some good character creation but I don't need it in *every* game.

Fair, but for me it tends to push purchase decisions on games I might be on the edge about buying (not my normal fare) in one direction or the other.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

But in a Saints Row or pseudo-Saints Row game like AoM, I think the absence of one is more keenly felt? I know I wish I'd had it in Gat Outta Hell

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

But in a Saints Row or pseudo-Saints Row game like AoM, I think the absence of one is more keenly felt? I know I wish I'd had it in Gat Outta Hell

Custom character creation never felt like what was missing from Crackdown.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The idea/design seems interesting but from the videos it seems to have the bland and tedious gameplay of a mediocre MMO. I want to like it but so far I just don't care at all.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I view Agents as a test bed for making the next SR game more compelling game play wise. I'd rather they take their time with SR 5 than push it out as fast as 4 game out.

It killed me seeing Idol unlock all the achievements for it though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kibayasu posted:

10 years ago Agents would have been a middle market game, the kind that sold for $40 to make up for the lack of marketing. But the middle market basically doesn't exist any more so now you have decent enough games releasing for $60+ with no marketing competing against other games who's publishers are spending millions on marketing for basically the same price point.

middle market games do exist, they arnt always great and alot are either expansion pack type stuff or weird janky spider games. but i have seen them. i'lll give it a shot.

Galler posted:

The idea/design seems interesting but from the videos it seems to have the bland and tedious gameplay of a mediocre MMO. I want to like it but so far I just don't care at all.

this. it looks like saints row meets GI joe which is a thing me and my friend joked about for years, but all the rpg layering(buffs,numbers,etc) are kinda of a turn off. i doubt it will be bad and apperently they will be making even more agents as dlc, not just gat so idk.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

To be honest if it had the usual character creation I would grab it day one. Now I don't even know if I'll buy it unless I hear great things or get sucked into gameplay videos. Customization is the biggest thing that made Saints Row one of my favorite franchises. Without it, even in a non Saints Saints game, it's going to feel weird and lack the bonding I always do with whatever character I make.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kibayasu posted:

I'm pretty sure no voice actors ever anywhere get residuals. Part of what the current strike is about, actually.
Man no wonder Tom Kenny hasn't left Spongebob then, if VA's had residuals then he would be set for life.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Going back to Saints Row though, I've been playing through IV and Gat Outta Hell, and most of IV still holds up nicely. GOH really doesn't though. Flying is fun, the new powers and weapons are neat, and Hell has a fresh layout, but it all goes to waste with endless busywork side-missions.
The side missions are great though?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm okay with not having a character to customize because there is a healthy roster that you're going to swap through regularly.
That being said, I'm gonna wait on this one for a while. It breaks my heart because I love the company but there are too many great games coming out soon.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Man no wonder Tom Kenny hasn't left Spongebob then, if VA's had residuals then he would be set for life.

I don't know if the same applies to TV animation but video game VA's definitely don't.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I'm okay with not having a character to customize because there is a healthy roster that you're going to swap through regularly.
That being said, I'm gonna wait on this one for a while. It breaks my heart because I love the company but there are too many great games coming out soon.

I'm with you there. I already got Shadow of War and New Colossus lined up and I don't really have the budget for much else this year outside of any big sales on Black Friday and Christmas.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Agents of mayhem looks like just instanced combat maps with the gunplay of saints row 3, is it even open world? The cutscenes are just animations and I don't think there's any personality to the characters in the game since they rarely talk.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's open world.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Spikeguy posted:

I'm with you there. I already got Shadow of War and New Colossus lined up and I don't really have the budget for much else this year outside of any big sales on Black Friday and Christmas.

same. i am trying to sorta hoard money with this month and september because October has like 5 games i want and 3 or so in november. ill just ask my gf to get me this for Christmas(or ill get it on cyber monday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

ColoradoCleric posted:

Agents of mayhem looks like just instanced combat maps with the gunplay of saints row 3, is it even open world? The cutscenes are just animations and I don't think there's any personality to the characters in the game since they rarely talk.

They talk a LOT in gameplay.

I get that this is a valid way to come at the game since not everyone will research a game too thoroughly, but it's pretty clear you haven't even glanced at the actual gameplay.

• Locked thread