Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

PostNouveau posted:

I know they didn't cast him until like a month before shooting started.

I heard similar things. I'd also love to hear what actually went down.

What I was led to believe is that they were way, way behind schedule in development, and were contractually obligated to deliver by some set time. And Scott Buck bid for the job, was available, and could do it in time and within budget. I have no clue if this is real or totally apocryphal, but if it is, that'd explain a ton of the safe, half-baked, or outright incompetent choices at play in that mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Phone posting but if you look back a couple of years ago, there were articles back then about how they couldn't reconcile the mystic elements of Iron Fist and still keep it grounded on the street level. From memory I think Iron Fist was suppose to come out before Luke Cage and even after the first season of DD dropped and filming, pre-production and writing for JJ, LC and DD season 2 were already under way, nothing had progressed for Iron Fist.

Buck sucks yeah but the show being terrible isn't entirely his fault.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Narcissus1916 posted:

I know Jones has talked about having fifteen minutes to learn choreography, but what caused the mess in the first place?

Keep in mind that's not necessarily sign of dysfunction, it's apparently how most tv shows handle fight choreography. When you only have a week to film an entire hour of television you can't have your star spending days rehearsing one scene.

Now you could argue that since IF is a Netflix show they didn't have to shoot it like NCIS, but :shrug:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Admittedly Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are brawlers and most of the others with action scenes were either brawlers, red shirt stunt men, or cops with guns. But AOS and Daredevil have some pretty drat good fight scenes with some of their leads and it just doesn't make sense why Iron Fist couldn't at least try to imitate that. Hell the best fight scene in the whole show was directed by a guy who has done some good fight scenes for Shield.

If the problem is "well he doesn't have a costume, so it is hard to place a stunt man in"....then give him a costume then. Or do the whole bandanna around his head thing or something like that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Why is Daredevil the only one to get a costume anyway?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DrNutt posted:

Why is Daredevil the only one to get a costume anyway?

Everyone else told him they're in costume too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Daredevil got lucky, really. DeKnight was somewhat fresh off Spartacus, which has some of the best fighting of a western TV show.

Season 2's was still pretty good, but it was a big step down from 1 imo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The structure of Daredevil season one was good for fights too- the way he worked his way through all the different gangs meant there was a good variety of goons with different fight styles for him to beat up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone else told him they're in costume too.

Luke Cage did get his costume in one episode. Then he discarded it because it looks silly as hell. His costume is a dark hoodie with bullet holes.

Jessica was presented with her superhero costume and name, and derided them as a stripper's name and outfit.

Danny has no excuse, though.

Matt at least is specifically trying to hide his identity and wear some armor in the process, armor that Jessica and Luke don't need.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, if they don't do a joke when Matt finally puts on his costume and asks everyone else if they're suited up then the whole Defenders series is a waste.

But yeah, Jessica and Luke just aren't hiding their identities or needing to protect themselves. And Danny never really set out to be a super hero and was just following the threads of his hosed up life. It would make more sense for him to adopt a mask at least once he starts doing general good doer stuff.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

And as Tony Stark and Thor have made clear, it's not like you can't be a hero without a secret identity.

Still doesn't mean they couldn't have given him a bath robe or some kind of excuse to keep his face hidden.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

And as Tony Stark and Thor have made clear, it's not like you can't be a hero without a secret identity.

Still doesn't mean they couldn't have given him a bath robe or some kind of excuse to keep his face hidden.

Secret identities seem to be the exception rather than the norm in the new Marvel-verse, really. Hawkeye, Ant-man, Daredevil, and now Spiderman seem to be the only ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wonder if Hawkeye and Ant-Man's identities are even secret after Civil War.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arist posted:

I wonder if Hawkeye and Ant-Man's identities are even secret after Civil War.

Hawkeye's probably isn't, good catch, and Hank Pym. Scott Lang would still be a secret, though. And maybe Falcon.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Super heroes in the MCU are a little different than the regular comic book world because they're generally not engaging in a lot of general crime fighting or with a rogues gallery of arch villains. The Defenders and Spider-Man are kind of the exception. A lot of the rest are government agents (Cap, Widow, Hawkeye, Falcon, War Machine), kind of outsiders with problems (Hulk, Witch) or just outer worldly beings (Thor, Strange, Guardians, Vision). Iron Man is maybe the one exception because he's had a bunch of enemies and big fights, but they made a point of Stark outing himself and then his home getting blown up and girlfriend getting kidnapped. So whoops.

That's kind of what sets Defenders apart, besides the production differences. They're all street level heroes who are doing actual crime fighting instead of doing government missions and saving the world.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Secret identities seem to be the exception rather than the norm in the new Marvel-verse, really. Hawkeye, Ant-man, Daredevil, and now Spiderman seem to be the only ones.

Bruce Banner being the Hulk is common knowledge? I know the military showing up with multiple war vehicles doesn't make it really unnoticeable but I'm not sure about them just having wanted posters up for him everywhere or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

Bruce Banner being the Hulk is common knowledge? I know the military showing up with multiple war vehicles doesn't make it really unnoticeable but I'm not sure about them just having wanted posters up for him everywhere or not.

High school students in Spiderman: Homecoming seem to know that the Hulk is Banner, yeah.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

I have to assume that he's not a wanted criminal anymore, now that he's working with Shield

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm guessing the Hulk incidents were big enough news that there was tons of coverage and investigation and it probably wouldn't be that hard to trace it back to Banner's lab exploding or something.

And that assumes Ross didn't just out him. Or he didn't get outed when Widow released the SHIELD files.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cythereal posted:

High school students in Spiderman: Homecoming seem to know that the Hulk is Banner, yeah.

I'm only as caught up as Doctor Strange and both Guardians movies, haven't seen that one, Ant Man or Thor 2 yet so I hadn't realized this was already addressed.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm only as caught up as Doctor Strange and both Guardians movies, haven't seen that one, Ant Man or Thor 2 yet so I hadn't realized this was already addressed.

Homecoming is great for little touches that make the world feel more lived-in - there's a group of high school girls playing gently caress Marry Kill with the Avengers, for example.

If there was ever a MCU film to reference the Defenders, Homecoming would have been a great choice to mention the Hell's Kitchen clusterfuck on a news report or have Trish Talk on the radio or some such.

To quote an example from CineD:

quote:

"Um, Mr Happy, Sir? I know we talked about me branching out to the other boroughs, but I tried that the other night, and this scary lady threw me over a brownstone. She smelled like cheap whisky and vomit and called me... um... I kinda don't wanna repeat it?"

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Pretty much everyone is the world agrees, Defenders is generally good but Iron Fist sucks.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvels-the-defenders-knows-exactly-how-to-deal-wi/1100-6452253/

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So if defenders isn't poo poo, are we changing the thread title?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Tv IV > Netflix Marvel: Defenders is generally good but Iron Fist sucks

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Daredevil's suit allows an actual stuntman to stand in for Charlie Cox. Therefore, Iron FIst should have some sort of face covering just to give poor Finn Jones a break.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Kegslayer posted:

Phone posting but if you look back a couple of years ago, there were articles back then about how they couldn't reconcile the mystic elements of Iron Fist and still keep it grounded on the street level. From memory I think Iron Fist was suppose to come out before Luke Cage and even after the first season of DD dropped and filming, pre-production and writing for JJ, LC and DD season 2 were already under way, nothing had progressed for Iron Fist.

Buck sucks yeah but the show being terrible isn't entirely his fault.

Buck is a complete and utter hack, but he didn't hire himself, and by most indications, it was Marvel Television's idea to minimize the most interesting aspects of the character. No wonder they couldn't find anyone else who would agree to their idiotic remit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Netflix Marvel: "The world is ready for a bullet-susceptible Iron Fist"

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Wet Hot American Summer pops up tomorrow!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gynovore posted:

Pretty much everyone is the world agrees, Defenders is generally good but Iron Fist sucks.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvels-the-defenders-knows-exactly-how-to-deal-wi/1100-6452253/

Remember, never stop making GBS threads on Iron Fist. Never, ever, ever.

Not for any reason.

It's been five minutes! Quick, someone poo poo on it!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Remember, never stop making GBS threads on Iron Fist. Never, ever, ever.

Not for any reason.

It's been five minutes! Quick, someone poo poo on it!

Deal!

Jesus how much less charismatic can Dany get?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Deal!

Jesus how much less charismatic can Dany get?

if you don't like Emilia Clarke's acting, take it to the GoT thread

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Her acting is so bad it transcends threads tbh

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Narcissus1916 posted:

Daredevil's suit allows an actual stuntman to stand in for Charlie Cox. Therefore, Iron FIst should have some sort of face covering just to give poor Finn Jones a break.

Nobody knows why they aren't using it for Danny. They're definitely aware of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0IxqeOP2FU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Danny's suit should have been presented as his ceremonial Iron Fist dress and mirrored Luke Cage and Jessica Jones rejecting their traditional comic looks.

The only person to lean into dressing up should be the poor blind guy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gyges posted:

Nobody knows why they aren't using it for Danny. They're definitely aware of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0IxqeOP2FU

Honestly this was probably my favorite seventeen seconds of the show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a behind the scenes photo of the '48 Fist:

The glowing armbands are to help the CGI guys add in the glowing fists in the right positions

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

That's a better costume than Danny "Just Got Back from My Gap Year" Rand.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Habibi posted:

Honestly this was probably my favorite seventeen seconds of the show.

It was definitely the most exciting.

e: second most exciting behind ice cream murder

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They definitely should just give Danny the mask.

My hope is that at some point during Defenders he gets real nervous about his identity being public, Jessica and Luke both give him poo poo for it, and then they just take Matt's Iron Fist mask, cut some holes in it, and give it to Danny.

My hope is that most of Defenders is Jessica and Luke giving Danny poo poo while Matt quietly takes pity on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
IIRC those tights in all their variations are ceremonial. If Defenders ever gets there, I could see Matt pulling "I know a guy" at Danny and latter gets green-yellow kevlar or something.