Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Hav posted:

You know this happens, right?

Debt buying happens when the organisation buying the debt intends to collect on it (for significantly more money than they spent purchasing the debt, thus making a profit), not when they intend to just haemorrhage money until they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

What do you all think of Re:Legend? It looks like a final fantasy crystal chronicles harvest moon pokemon monster rancher type game. Already met the goal, just coasting on stretch goals now. The plushie rewards seem kind of ambitious for this project, as does Full Voice Acting. But it seems like it would really scratch that multiplayer monster raising itch that I didn't realize I had.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Cool.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nectargamestudios/project-resurgence/posts/1954263?ref=backer_project_update

quote:

• Why Nectar has been dissolved
• What’s next for the team
• Future of Resurgence
• Why no refunds

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

You know a Kickstarter was doing poorly when you wonder why you got the failure email because you forgot you even backed it

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

What do you all think of Re:Legend? It looks like a final fantasy crystal chronicles harvest moon pokemon monster rancher type game. Already met the goal, just coasting on stretch goals now. The plushie rewards seem kind of ambitious for this project, as does Full Voice Acting. But it seems like it would really scratch that multiplayer monster raising itch that I didn't realize I had.

Uuuuuuuuuuughhhhh..........someone talk me out of this! Someone show me the warning signs!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Zaphiel posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuughhhhh..........someone talk me out of this! Someone show me the warning signs!

They've got a working prototype that appears to be relatively far along, the project was cultivated through the Square-Enix Collective, and they actually have a programmer listed as part of the staff. Not really seeing any obvious warning signs here, other than maybe being a bit over ambition with everything they're trying to cram in [farming, combat, village-building, monster-raising, and multiplayer].

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Zaphiel posted:

it is a multiplayer focused game

quote:

Most of the features in the game are built around multiplayer
asking for $51k.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh that's the RT and TB RPG that I decided not to back because no one has ever successfully made a good game with both RT and TB options.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Chairchucker posted:

Oh that's the RT and TB RPG that I decided not to back because no one has ever successfully made a good game with both RT and TB options.

X-com Apocalypse would like a word.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Rumbler posted:

over ambition with everything they're trying to cram in [farming, combat, village-building, monster-raising, and multiplayer].

This is what should keep you from backing this.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This is what should keep you from backing this.

Thanks, I need that cold shower!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I finally played the backer preview of EXO ONE and it was already incredible, outside of some hitching (which somewhat worryingly reminded me of subnautica). If jay can work on the performance it's going to be something I can easily recommend to anyone as a fantastic "experience" game you'd play for a similar feel to journey and abzu.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Zaphiel posted:

Thanks, I need that cold shower!

I'll temper my excitement until I see it pop up on Steam. It does look and sound pretty dope though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Yeah I will definitely get that if it comes out and is good. I never realised until Stardew Valley that I enjoy that sort of farming game.

Another concerning thing is that the company is Singaporean, where I think the cost of living is comparable to San Diego, so I'm not sure the money will go any further. Happy to wait and see.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

What do you all think of Re:Legend? It looks like a final fantasy crystal chronicles harvest moon pokemon monster rancher type game.

i guess it kinda depends on whether or not they can actually finish it. maybe i've just become jaded but even with a demo, i find it increasingly difficult to believe a word until the release date.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

I honestly don't see how taking over someone elses Kickstarter without getting the money is ever going to be a good idea. It's like paying someone to be allowed to take on their debt.

I mean, they essentially bought the IP to make a new game. Assuming they have the cash to make a new game period, I don't see the issue in paying a bit more to get something that's already got a decent story written with A Bigish Name attached (and supposedly a collection of his Big Name Buddies who showed up briefly to say "yeah I'll contribute something I guess" during the original campaign).

Agreeing to fulfill all the physical rewards at their own cost seems a little nuts but maybe the Barbie Mobile Game Warchest is deep and overflowing

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 5, 2017

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

So they lose funding for one game in development and proceed to pick up a failed Kickstarter project?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/05/mistborn-rpg-cancelled/

quote:

Mistborn: Birthright has been cancelled because of funding problems for developer Little Orbit. [...]

That's a really odd move...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

I mean, they essentially bought the IP to make a new game. Assuming they have the cash to make a new game period, I don't see the issue in paying a bit more to get something that's already got a decent story written with A Bigish Name attached (and supposedly a collection of his Big Name Buddies who showed up briefly to say "yeah I'll contribute something I guess" during the original campaign).

Agreeing to fulfill all the physical rewards at their own cost seems a little nuts but maybe the Barbie Mobile Game Warchest is deep and overflowing

Do you think the IP really has any value though? I'd think any would just be attributable to Matsuno's name, which is probably more useful for raising kickstarter money than selling a game.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If you played a computer wargame back in 1991, The Future is Here Today: Empire Deluxe Combined Edition.

Has doubled it's needed pledge with 12K+.

I put 100's of hours into this game back on the Amiga, and later on the PC. This version will work on Mac and Ubantu! Amiga is not listed :(

I'm glad it's still going on, with the sound effects still as they were from 2 decades ago. It really is the wargame of the 20th century.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 5, 2017

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Do you think the IP really has any value though? I'd think any would just be attributable to Matsuno's name, which is probably more useful for raising kickstarter money than selling a game.

I mean I want the game more or less just for matsuno's name. It helps that matsuno did work that they aren't scrapping too. They're buying an IP that also has a pre-written story and whatever else matsuno has done, which is work they themselves no longer have to do.

They made it sound like they were able to purchase it for very little, which is what makes it somewhat of a sane decision I think.

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

Yeah I will definitely get that if it comes out and is good. I never realised until Stardew Valley that I enjoy that sort of farming game.

Another concerning thing is that the company is Singaporean, where I think the cost of living is comparable to San Diego, so I'm not sure the money will go any further. Happy to wait and see.

They state Kuala Lumpur which is in Malaysia which should be cheaper than Singapore.

Also anyone remember this?:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/honored-real-rewards-for-digital-achievements

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Argento posted:

They state Kuala Lumpur which is in Malaysia which should be cheaper than Singapore.

Oh ok, that probably makes a difference. Their information page said Singapore, so that's where I got that from.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ah, kickstarter promises.

Hypnospace originally had this: Delivery date: January 2018

quote:

Release Window
Not a huge surprise, but our release window goal is now August-September 2018. We could squeeze this thing out by January, but it wouldn't be a life-changing experience.

I can't say I'm surprised or annoyed or anything, just amused. "by the way it'll be over half a year later when we deliver this thing"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Eh. Half a year is pretty tame by game delay standards.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ah, kickstarter promises.

Hypnospace originally had this: Delivery date: January 2018

I can't say I'm surprised or annoyed or anything, just amused. "by the way it'll be over half a year later when we deliver this thing"

Sorry my estimate was wrong. It's me and one programmer who works a full time job, so it's a bit difficult to nail down exactly how long a project like this would take. I'm also being careful to NOT do the thing I did with Dropsy and cut content to release sooner. You'll get the game eventually and it'll be good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Maluco Marinero posted:

Eh. Half a year is pretty tame by game delay standards.
Seriously, that's nothing, especially for Kickstarter. I still have my half-assed list of Kickstarter projects spreadsheet up, although it hasn't been updated in a couple years, and the average for most games then was around 8 months. That's not even using real statistical analysis, as it's just a raw average of number of months between promised date versus actual date, and only for what was completely released at the time. And that's not even getting into Early Access. I believe there are quite a few still dragging along after a good couple years of development.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11sYRdj3cmb2WKFzikyT7bDGBFjQtdXLQ5YcECNNZKKY/

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

today is the four year anniversary of me backing Ghost Song

kickstarter estimated release date: may 2014
website estimated release date: TBA 2016
steam estimated release date: TBA

:nallears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaspy Conana posted:

Sorry my estimate was wrong. It's me and one programmer who works a full time job, so it's a bit difficult to nail down exactly how long a project like this would take. I'm also being careful to NOT do the thing I did with Dropsy and cut content to release sooner. You'll get the game eventually and it'll be good.

Oh man, no dude. I'm not mad. I'm just amused at videogame kickstarter ETA estimates. (Also you're my first delayed videogame kickstarter so it's a new experience for me!)

I'm genuinely happy to wait to get a better product, here.

e: Double bonus you're communicating with us and telling us about content and so on. I trust you and your programmer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone seen anything about Harebrained Schemes being sued by those loving dickbags at Harmony Gold? I assume it's going to delay Battletech but I haven't heard anything about it.

I guess having an ongoing lawsuit is a good reason to maintain radio silence, but still.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man, no dude. I'm not mad. I'm just amused at videogame kickstarter ETA estimates. (Also you're my first delayed videogame kickstarter so it's a new experience for me!)

I'm genuinely happy to wait to get a better product, here.

e: Double bonus you're communicating with us and telling us about content and so on. I trust you and your programmer.

No worries! :0) Picking a date when you're at the very beginning of development is always tricky. Even so, feeling annoyed as a backer is perfectly valid even if it's normal for Kickstarters/Gamedev.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 7, 2017

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
The promise has been made.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Memento posted:

Has anyone seen anything about Harebrained Schemes being sued by those loving dickbags at Harmony Gold? I assume it's going to delay Battletech but I haven't heard anything about it.

I guess having an ongoing lawsuit is a good reason to maintain radio silence, but still.
Oh are they at it again? Harmony Gold has a long history of dicking around with mech IPs. :jerkbag: Haven't seen anything about it, but yeah you're probably not gonna hear anything official until it's settled.

Edit: Looked it up, the case's all over the place online so you got plenty of reading material if you need: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9113

I doubt it will cause any major delays, just any "infringing" designs might have to be temporarily cut until the whole thing's over.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 7, 2017

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

SupSuper posted:

Oh are they at it again? Harmony Gold has a long history of dicking around with mech IPs. :jerkbag: Haven't seen anything about it, but yeah you're probably not gonna hear anything official until it's settled.

Edit: Looked it up, the case's all over the place online so you got plenty of reading material if you need: https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/9113

I doubt it will cause any major delays, just any "infringing" designs might have to be temporarily cut until the whole thing's over.

U.S. copyright laws are a disaster. I think having a game with a robot and being sued is the silicon valley equivalent to some slimy P.O. box company having an IP for "web generated user interaction" and making millions suing everyone who can't afford to fight it for decades, with no products of their own.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
In this case the claims actually aren't spurious, because the designs Harmony Gold single out are updated versions of designs that were literally copied 1:1 from Macross (the international distribution rights for which HG own via Robotech) by FASA back in the 80s.

The best possible outcome here is that this goes to court and a judge rules that the redesigns are legally distinct from the originals, paving the way for every future Battletech game (video or tabletop) to not have to pay HG a single cent to use the Warhammer and Archer. That said, I imagine HBS will probably settle and just pay HG whatever fee they want for the use of the designs.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 7, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lemon-Lime posted:

In this case the claims actually aren't spurious, because the designs Harmony Gold single out are updated versions of designs that were literally copied 1:1 from Macross (the international distribution rights for which HG own via Robotech) by FASA back in the 80s.

The best possible outcome here is that this goes to court and a judge rules that the redesigns are legally distinct from the originals, paving the way for every future Battletech game (video or tabletop) to not have to pay HG a single cent to use the Warhammer and Archer. That said, I imagine HBS will probably settle and just pay HG whatever fee they want for the use of the designs.

One of their exhibits uses the Atlas as an example of an infringing design. I don't see HBS settling if HG wants licensing fees for every stompy robot ever.

HG's claims against PGI have a little more merit, but Battletech isn't touching the Unseen designs as far as I'm aware.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Gaspy Conana posted:

No worries! :0) Picking a date when you're at the very beginning of development is always tricky. Even so, feeling annoyed as a backer is perfectly valid even if it's normal for Kickstarters/Gamedev.

This is my one huge regret regarding our campaign - not having a more realistic idea of just how complicated and time-consuming gamedev is, even when you're at it 10 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Another tricky thing is that you set the est. delivery date before you launch and that's that, it's set in stone no matter how overfunded you are, and how much you can now expand the project. Thankfully, people are generally super understanding (and let's face it, they got used to the majority of Kickstarters being at least a few months late), but the advice I'd give 2016 me and whoever's Kickstarting would be to add another minimum of 6-8 months to what you initially estimated. Seriously, if there's anyone in this thread about to hit launch, do that. It's a lot more fair toward your backers and you won't feel like kicking yourself when people ask you if the game's done already.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

HG's claims against PGI have a little more merit, but Battletech isn't touching the Unseen designs as far as I'm aware.

Are HBS really including none of the Rifleman, Archer, Warhammer, Marauder or Phoenix Hawk in the game? I find that kind of hard to believe given how iconic some of those are.

The first half of the comparisons listed here are pure bullshit though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Kaubocks posted:

today is the four year anniversary of me backing Ghost Song

kickstarter estimated release date: may 2014
website estimated release date: TBA 2016
steam estimated release date: TBA

:nallears:

I'm in the same boat, I was really looking forward to it too :(

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Are HBS really including none of the Rifleman, Archer, Warhammer, Marauder or Phoenix Hawk in the game? I find that kind of hard to believe given how iconic some of those are.

Looks like the Marauder and Warhammer are in, but the other three aren't in the list. Could be those three didn't exist in the 3025 era. Not really up on my BattleTech lore.

And I don't know if the versions of the Marauder and Warhammer they're using are visually distinct or infringing, but HBS is using the MWO models so if the MWO version is found to be infringing, then so is the BattleTech version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

the Marauder was in their super pre alpha videos, but that was the only Unseen so far.