Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the gently caress are revocable waivers and why is Joey Bats on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

The non-waiver Trade Deadline is considered the height of summer transaction season, but trades do not stop on July 31. However, in order to deal a player on its 40-man roster after that date, a team must go through the waiver system.

How do August trades work? Here's a primer:
• It's important to note that teams expose most of their players, except those on the disabled list, to revocable waivers at some point during August. So that act, by itself, does not mean much, as there is no risk involved.
• When a player is on waivers, other teams can submit a claim. If more than one team does, those in the same league as that player's team get first priority, starting with the club with the worst record on the day of the claim. Then, the priority moves to the other league, starting with the worst record. For example, if a National League team puts a player on waivers, the NL team with the worst record gets the first shot at him, and the last-place American League club would be right behind the top NL club.
• Once a player is claimed, his team faces three options. It can pull the player back and keep him, negotiate a trade with the claiming team or let the player go. In the last scenario, the claiming team takes full responsibility for the player's remaining salary. If the two sides decide to work out a trade, they have two days to do so.
• If a player goes unclaimed for two days, he "passes through" waivers. His team then can trade him to any other team for the rest of the season, unless he has a no-trade clause, a limited no-trade provision or 10/5 rights (10 years in the Majors, five consecutive years with his current team).
• Players dealt after Aug. 31 are not eligible to participate in the postseason.
• A team can pull a player back from waivers only once. So if a player is pulled back but then placed on waivers a second time and claimed, his rights go to the team that is awarded the claim.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The Braves are gonna be the reason the Dodgers win 114 games instead of 117. Baseball makes no loving sense

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Martytoof posted:

tl;dr every player not on some ridiculously team-friendly contract goes on revocable waivers.

EDIT: I'm hoping somebody butt-claims Jacoby Ellsbury.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 3, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The Braves are gonna be the reason the Dodgers win 114 games instead of 117. Baseball makes no loving sense

Hey man it could be 113, there's still a game today. Wood is pitching today and his only loss came from GUESS WHO MUAHAHAHAH

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

The Jays are testing the market to see if anyone is interested in trading for him. He's a 10-year veteran so he can veto any trade he doesn't like anyways. But as sad as I am to see the Joey Bats era come to an end, it seems reeeeeealy unlikely that the Jays will extend his deal next year. Either he finds a team to play for, goes to Japan or something, or he hangs it up in 2018.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Martytoof posted:

:supaburn: OH MY GOD <Favorite Team> PUT <Star Player> ON WAIVERS WHAT THE gently caress!?!:supaburn:

THE FIRST VICTIM

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/vanessgph04/status/893102963501273088

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't wait for the first time somebody does this but tells the city to go gently caress themselves, instead.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

tadashi posted:

I can't wait for the first time somebody does this but tells the city to go gently caress themselves, instead.

Well Yu basically told the few dumbshit local sports writers to gently caress off.

Anyways Gallo it another bomb all the way over the batters eye last night. I love him so much.

And he might actually be figuring poo poo out finally. Since July 1 (arbitrary end points/small sample sizes I know):

.245/.385/.660
OPS: 1.045
wRC+: 168

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers are 17-3 in their last 20 games. All three losses were to Atlanta.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Reno Aces will give away 'Trevor Bauer Drone Bobblehead,' complete with bloody finger

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/08/02/246075656/reno-aces-will-give-away-a-bobblehead-dedicated-to-trevor-bauers-drone-incident

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/836751365468626944

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

:perfect:

God I love bizarro minor league stuff

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have been thinking about a post here from the other day (at least, I believe it was from here), which was about players who have positive WARs despite hitting below the Mendoza Line. One of the positive players was someone from the 1880s, which led the poster to believe that he must have been great defensively. How does dWAR even work? How can you can extrapolate dWAR from a player where defensive statistics didn't exist?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

God I love bizarro minor league stuff

I do too but I can't even laugh at this particular incident much since Cleveland still stomped the Blue Jays in games 2 and 3 despite the drone's noble efforts.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Well Yu basically told the few dumbshit local sports writers to gently caress off.

I hope he's ready for the new dumbshit local sports writers

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Do you like hurting other people?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Do you like hurting other people?

post the whole thing you dweeb

https://twitter.com/FOXSPORTSAZ/status/893212905973231616

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

How does dWAR even work?

It doesn't

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e:nvm

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the Mets lost due to a testicular torsion-induced walk off bases loaded walk:

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/893241172080164864

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

will_colorado posted:

the Mets lost due to a testicular torsion-induced walk off bases loaded walk:

https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/893241172080164864

TOS incoming.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slobhI2HXhA

Could've sworn this was my avatar here at some point but maybe it was a different forum.

shadok fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 4, 2017

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Sad to hear about Aaron Judge's struggles since the all-star break, oh well a talented guy like that is sure to bounce back.

*piece of paper falls out of my pocket*

Oh is that Justin Smoak since the break? Silly me how did that get there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress

Hey man he ain't tryin to be the best at workin out

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress

Kenny fuckin' Powers

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

Sad to hear about Aaron Judge's struggles since the all-star break, oh well a talented guy like that is sure to bounce back.

*piece of paper falls out of my pocket*

Oh is that Justin Smoak since the break? Silly me how did that get there.

He's going to get a bunch of MVP votes and its gonna own.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He's going to get a bunch of MVP votes and its gonna own.

Be weird if the Jays somehow managed to pick up another ~30 guy who finally figured things out and will own for a few years right when Bautista is tailing off.

Well poo poo I didn't realize he's already been there 2 years before this, I knew he was there last year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Be weird if the Jays somehow managed to pick up another ~30 guy who finally figured things out and will own for a few years right when Bautista is tailing off.

Well poo poo I didn't realize he's already been there 2 years before this, I knew he was there last year.

Jose was a Jay for a year and a half before he figured poo poo out, Edwin 2 and a half. So Smoak is arriving right on time!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I always wondered if the players need to sign off on this or what. Like can you just make a bobblehead for any player who played for your team without compensating them?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are under .500 since the ASB :smith:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the gently caress

I love Heath Hembree and his disgusting greasy hair

Everyone should adopt a mediocre middle reliever

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Intruder posted:

The Astros are under .500 since the ASB :smith:

Turns out the offense isn't quite as good with Springer and Correa on the DL at the same time. The bullpen has been completely exposed without the smoke and mirrors of frequent double digit run support, and also Michael Feliz being possessed by the spirit of Tony Sipp. Liriano will fit right in.

On the plus side, Collin McHugh actually looks like he's coming back strong and the AL West still sucks.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Turns out the offense isn't quite as good with Springer and Correa on the DL at the same time. The bullpen has been completely exposed without the smoke and mirrors of frequent double digit run support, and also Michael Feliz being possessed by the spirit of Tony Sipp. Liriano will fit right in.

On the plus side, Collin McHugh actually looks like he's coming back strong and the AL West still sucks.

Altuve was also in a bit of a slump until tonight (not that it mattered), Yuli is still slumping, and Fisher is not ready for that leadoff spot. Feels like the whole team has been in a funk this week, I wonder if there were some internal arguments over the trades. We need George back ASAP.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Niwrad posted:

I always wondered if the players need to sign off on this or what. Like can you just make a bobblehead for any player who played for your team without compensating them?

I think image rights are part of the CBA.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NiceGuy posted:

Can I just adopt the entire twins bullpen so I don't have to choose?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

NiceGuy posted:

Mine used to be Rich Garces. Later it was Alan Embree. I think now it is Joe Kelly oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

(lobs 77 mph hanging slider right down the middle)

• Locked thread