Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

no the cheapest

1050 ti's run about $150 and that's about the best you can hope for: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126172&FM=1

anything cheaper and you're basically paying for an integrated graphics card that isn't integrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in related news my new case arrived today so time to spend the next 4 hours pulling parts out of one case just to put them all back in a different case

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

hmm i am strongly considering

You could be like me and play games on consoles

You just put the disc in/wait for the 9GB patch to download + you're good to go

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

50 - Super budget option w/ last gen tech basically
60 - Workhorse for med-high settings on current gen
70 - Sweet spot for price/performance on high-ultra
80 - PC nerd cards who can't abide anything below max settings
ti - :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

You could be like me and play games on consoles

You just put the disc in/wait for the 9GB patch to download + you're good to go

my personal bias notwithstanding i get the feeling even a used console is going to run you more than $160 smackers unless you're buying like a ds or something

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
fwiw I have a 1060 and it runs pretty much everything at high/ultra. It'd run even better but I have an ultrawide monitor so I run games at a super high resolution.

I'll probably start having to drop settings in a year or two though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

I'm not sure you can have a late breakfast if a big loving basket of french fries is involved. I think you'll just have two lunches today.

Wrong, I broke my twelve hour fast with it

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've still got a 970 I bought three years ago and it has yet to disappoint.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

always buy the graphics card that costs ~$300 at the time of your purchase. that is the correct amount to pay for a graphics card.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

The Silver Snail posted:

I'm not sure you can have a late breakfast if a big loving basket of french fries is involved. I think you'll just have two lunches today.

When you have breakfast for dinner it's still dinner

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

PantsBandit posted:

fwiw I have a 1060 and it runs pretty much everything at high/ultra. It'd run even better but I have an ultrawide monitor so I run games at a super high resolution.

I'll probably start having to drop settings in a year or two though.

I kind of welcome prolonged console generations because it means PC cards remain totally overpowered for longer periods of time.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

I've still got a 970 I bought three years ago and it has yet to disappoint.

Yeah same, I upgraded about the time Witcher 3 came out and it's ran everything fine

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

exquisite tea posted:

50 - Super budget option w/ last gen tech basically
60 - Workhorse for med-high settings on current gen
70 - Sweet spot for price/performance on high-ultra
80 - PC nerd cards who can't abide anything below max settings
ti - :pcgaming::pcgaming::pcgaming:

exquisite tea, 2018 posted:

80ti - can't even run assassin's creed egypt on medium settings

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think that's how that works

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cowcaster posted:

in related news my new case arrived today so time to spend the next 4 hours pulling parts out of one case just to put them all back in a different case

I hate this part of PC upgrading but it is an essential (literally) part of being a PC gamer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wamdoodle posted:

I hate this part of PC upgrading but it is an essential (literally) part of being a PC gamer

for me it's worse because i assembled 95% of my new rig reusing the old case from my last pc and just used my old graphics card while waiting for my new one to arrive, then when the card arrived earlier this week i found out it doesn't fit in the old case. so this is the second time i'm doing it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I made my PC back when Fallout 3 came out, so late 2008. Since then, I've upgraded my graphics card twice: once for Human Revolution (2011) and again in 2016 for Dark Souls 3. I had to switch out my power supply at some point, but otherwise I'm using all the same parts. Right now, I think the limiting factor is the actual processor, but I'm no computer scientist

PC is good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've had a 970 for a few years now and it's been great but I turn down graphics a lot because I don't care

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jay Rust posted:

I made my PC back when Fallout 3 came out, so late 2008. Since then, I've upgraded my graphics card twice: once for Human Revolution (2011) and again in 2016 for Dark Souls 3. I had to switch out my power supply at some point, but otherwise I'm using all the same parts. Right now, I think the limiting factor is the actual processor, but I'm no computer scientist

PC is good

2008? Yeah probably a little bit. Still though, 10 year is insane.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah as long as I keep a steady frame rate of 30+ I'm content

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've had a 960 for I don't know how long and I can play new releases just fine. That said I have a 1680x1050 monitor because idgaf. I'm sure I'd have terrible performance if I tried going to 4k.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

for me it's worse because i assembled 95% of my new rig reusing the old case from my last pc and just used my old graphics card while waiting for my new one to arrive, then when the card arrived earlier this week i found out it doesn't fit in the old case. so this is the second time i'm doing it.

My MSI-brand 970 baaaarrreely fit in my old case and the cooling isn't exactly ideal- prob will just buy a new one whenever I need a new motherboard, whenever that is. Current one is like 8 years old. drat so is the power supply- something's gonna break sooner or later but I've been Frankenstein-ing parts in there over time to keep up and it's worked fine so far

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The Moon Monster posted:

I've had a 960 for I don't know how long and I can play new releases just fine. That said I have a 1680x1050 monitor because idgaf. I'm sure I'd have terrible performance if I tried going to 4k.

Everyone has terrible performance at 4K. 1440p is where most people top out, but even that requires a shitload of money because people will spring for 110+hz monitors. $800-1000 GPU on top of a $550-700 monitor type stuff.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've been trying to finish Yakuza 0 before Kiwami comes out at the end of the month and I've been having a pretty good time. Enjoying the story way more than I expected.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Colonel posted:

as a close associate of littleorv, i can confirm he is not alright and is in fact a punkish crook and i love him dearly

I appreciate your love

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Everyone has terrible performance at 4K. 1440p is where most people top out, but even that requires a shitload of money because people will spring for 110+hz monitors. $800-1000 GPU on top of a $550-700 monitor type stuff.

diderot_effect.txt

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Monkey Fracas posted:

My MSI-brand 970 baaaarrreely fit in my old case and the cooling isn't exactly ideal- prob will just buy a new one whenever I need a new motherboard, whenever that is. Current one is like 8 years old. drat so is the power supply- something's gonna break sooner or later but I've been Frankenstein-ing parts in there over time to keep up and it's worked fine so far

I have a 3570K but I'm still running it at stock clocks because I didn't realise that pretty much none of the affordable non-stock coolers fit in my case properly (or, at least, none of the ones available at the time did). I keep meaning to get that sorted, but to be honest I've had very few games where my CPU's been the limiting factor (GTA V, maybe?), so I've never bothered. I guess I'll just get a new case when I finally upgrade, but my 970/3570K's been more than enough for 1080p for years now, and I'm certainly not dropping a bunch of cash on a new monitor anytime soon, so :shrug:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have a gtx 750ti and an amd athlon x4 750k and i can run pc ports of modern jrpgs and bayonetta at 60fps on medium settings at 1680x1050 ama

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i have a gtx 750ti and an amd athlon x4 750k and i can run pc ports of modern jrpgs and bayonetta at 60fps on medium settings at 1680x1050 ama

What's you're favorite mega man game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Across all iterations and series....could be classic, battle network, legends, Zero etc. it's all on the table

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

What's you're favorite mega man game

a tie between mega man zero 3 and 4

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like 9 and X

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My favorite Mega Man game is Mega Man Soccer, second best is the fighting game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
9 and x are pretty good. i think 9 has better level design than a lot of the classic series but i haven't properly played through the old nes ones in a while, i have a hard time staying interested in playing them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

a tie between mega man zero 3 and 4

I should play the Zero games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

9 and x are pretty good. i think 9 has better level design than a lot of the classic series but i haven't properly played through the old nes ones in a while, i have a hard time staying interested in playing them

2-5 are all pretty awesome imo. By the time you get to 5 the stages are a little too easy and stale but it's still a good time. I wonder how many people are gonna get the second legacy collection

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

I should play the Zero games

zero 1 is kind of a mess and some of the boss designs and missions suck and the lives system is utter garbage but it has some neat concepts. zero 2 is a big improvement but the unskippable cutscenes are kind of annoying and the weapon level system is still there. zero 3 and 4 are pretty much the perfect zero games, they let you skip cutscenes, get rid of the weapon level system and are basically just insanely tight action games from start to finish

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Maybe due to being on handheld, but the camera seemed way too close in Zero. Like you could barely see in front of you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it gets kind of annoying but the camera is a much bigger issue in zero 1 than it is in the later games, because zero 1 isn't really designed with any consideration of it while the later games are much better about it. zero 1 has a bunch of bits where it's really easy to steer yourself into instant death pits just because you can't see, the only bit i can think of like that off the top of my head in the later games is the water areas in zero 3 and zx and the big tree tower in zx advent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That DS collection is the way to go, yeah?

• Locked thread