Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cujojo's Bizarre Adventure: Rabid Tendancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Since it's still pretty fresh in my mind, I'll weigh in on Hocksteter. He was portrayed as a dissociative sociopath. King describes his inner thoughts where the kid believes that he's the only thing that's real in the world, the rest just there for his benefit and, presumably, amusement. As an only child, he got all the attention from his parents, which was only good and proper because he was real and deserving of it. But when they came home with his baby brother and started paying more attention to the infant, he started doubting himself. That wouldn't do. He was standing at the crib after coming home from school pondering his newfound crisis when the baby started making noise. His solution was to push his brother's face into the pillow and hold him there until the noise stopped. No noise meant his mother wouldn't waking up tired all the time, which of course meant no late meals, more attention for Patrick, etc. Everyone did chalk it up to crib death. The only person who came close to the truth was Patrick's father, who saw the wet boot prints on the carpet. The pieces started falling together, but the man tore himself away from the thought process and out of the room before they could all click into place. It was never brought up again. But since Patrick had gotten his first taste of something that made the rest of the world "real", he started going down the usual serial killer route. Killing insects and small animals, and probably would have moved up to other kids like Bowers if IT hadn't gotten him first.

Incidentally, since IT is a shapeshifter that takes the form of whatever the kids' greatest fear is, and since Patrick literally couldn't feel fear because of his dissociation, IT's form is vaguely humanoid to him, only seeming to be made of runny melting wax. Bev, who was nearby when he was killed, heard IT as her father stomping around in his boots as it dragged Patrick into the drains. Patrick's biggest fear came at the end. Since to himself, he was on the only thing that was real in existence, he was afraid everything would end with him. But that's hard for a shapeshifter to manifest, I guess.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Guy Mann posted:

Foreign covers of Stephen King books are awesome.

The Shining?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

BiggerBoat posted:

The Shining?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
my it book was this

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Vicissitude nailed the Hockstetter stuff, I just got to that part on my re-read earlier today.

clockworx posted:

While introducing his backstory, the book mentions teachers needing to keep him away from girls in the class due to groping.

Yes, this is also correct. Bev mentions that she and other students said as much to the teacher but she never really did anything because she was also scared of him.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I also want to say there was something about Patrick Hocksetter doing more with that old fridge beyond the animal torture. I can't remember if it was the mention of a kid getting locked in one or there was a suspected instance of Patrick behind a death or was thinking of upping his range from animals to humans.

Yeah, the book mentions a few specifics, stabbing beetles with knitting needles and whatnot. There was a cat that had been run over and was dying, he got caught poking it with his foot.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Holy poo poo. That's....wow. Just wow. I'm sure Clive had a good laugh at it at least.

E: so they used the old "Fear Street" font and the Scream Factory Nightbreed art. I'm so confused.

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 3, 2017

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tired Moritz posted:

my it book was this

Looks like the Halloween 3 poster.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.

Apparently the cover fell off at some point. The whole thing is taped together and swollen from water damage. Gonna get into it tonight I think :)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

the popular kids posted:

Apparently the cover fell off at some point. The whole thing is taped together and swollen from water damage. Gonna get into it tonight I think :)

Does it float? I feel like it probably won't.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

the popular kids posted:

That looks like my first copy of "Have a Nice Day" from ages ago.

I'm pretty sure over the years I've owned the original hardcover, the Tim Curry paperback, the paperback with the claw hand on it, whatever the current Kindle cover is (likely to be the movie tie in cover like my copy of Gunslinger recently updated to) and then this one

from that weird period where all his books had really boring covers in this style.

I do kinda like the covers that were all black with the minimalist design on them, but there's something about those classic 70's/80's horror novel covers that I miss.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
It's that font. So iconic that Stranger Things was able to set the mood perfectly by aping it for the opening credits 30 years later

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

I think Hocksteter's going to play a role in the film beyond just going missing, I'm sure he came up somwhere in a run-through of the cast on some article I read and he probably wouldn't have got a mention if he didn't have at least a speaking role.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

TomViolence posted:

I think Hocksteter's going to play a role in the film beyond just going missing, I'm sure he came up somwhere in a run-through of the cast on some article I read and he probably wouldn't have got a mention if he didn't have at least a speaking role.

I hope they give him more to do. One of the things I loved in the book was how even the bullies thought he was a creepy fucker, and Bowers starting to let him hang around was a big neon sign to Belch or Victor (maybe it was both, I don't remember), about how far Bowers had started slipping mentally.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ConfusedUs posted:

Hockstetter's death is the scariest of all the child deaths, to me.

I have a big phobia about large parasites, like leeches and such. Those flying leech things hit every single nopenopenope response in my brain.

It's also written through the lens of Hockstetter's mental illness, which gives the entire scene this otherworldly air. And near the end, I seem to recall him realizing that this is actually happening. His horror at that realization is just as freaky as the form IT took.

I love that chapter as much as I hate it.

Or is it just me? What say those of you without my phobia?

To be honest, Hockstetter's probably the scariest character in the book. Pennywise is an alien so it's horror is expected because it's so removed from our perspectives. Henry Bowers as scary as he is, we can understand he's mostly that way because of his abusive father and is easy pickings for Pennywise's manipulations. Hockstetter's scary in that we don't see any explanation for lack of better words of why he is the way he is. Kinda what really worked for me in Carpenter's Halloween (theatrical release) in that there was no seeming reason for Michael Myers to go kill his sister. Lord knows I've read plenty of true crime books that present the case of how killers likely ended up becoming that way, not to mention taken a few psych classes so the presentation of someone simply being that way with no seeming reason is absolutely terrifying.

His death really is the scariest in comparing it to the other children which had something tangible that struck fear into them, Patrick really wasn't mentally grasping the danger he's in until he's starting to die and even then, it's not so much from a standard Pennywise mental horror but his own horror realizing that there's another real thing that's a challenge to his perspective that he's the only real thing in the world. He essentially salts himself for Pennywise's meal for lack of better words.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kevyn posted:

It's that font. So iconic that Stranger Things was able to set the mood perfectly by aping it for the opening credits 30 years later

loving yes. I owned most of those at one time or another. God drat I love those kind of covers. Modern horror novels could learn a thing or two from that style of cover.

And yep, as expected my Kindle copy of IT changed from the plain white cover with the smile to the movie cover with George and the balloon.

It's not awful, as far as movie tie in covers go. I was worried it might be just a close up of Pennywise, which was already done perfectly by the Tim Curry cover.

Now if they'll just change my god drat Gunslinger cover back to whatever it was before.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
If I remember correctly my copy of It was all black with just a picture of Georgie's boat.

And no, I don't believe it floats.

(Pet Semetary and Rose Madder seem to be in similar bloated shape. Adds to the overall feel of the books, imo)

I am so excited for this movie. I think Skarsgard will do a good job. He excels at being unsettling.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

loving yes. I owned most of those at one time or another. God drat I love those kind of covers. Modern horror novels could learn a thing or two from that style of cover.

And yep, as expected my Kindle copy of IT changed from the plain white cover with the smile to the movie cover with George and the balloon.

It's not awful, as far as movie tie in covers go. I was worried it might be just a close up of Pennywise, which was already done perfectly by the Tim Curry cover.

Now if they'll just change my god drat Gunslinger cover back to whatever it was before.

I noticed my kindle copy's cover changed too on my PC and Kindle Keyboard. Instead of the minimalist one with the clown nose and grin, it's now a more detailed jagged tooth clown grin with raggedy nose. Kindle on my tablet and Kindle Fire still the minimalist cover.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I was gifted a membership to the Stephen King Library when I was very young (prob too young; I remember receiving and reading IT when I was 10). Every month or so, I'd get a hardcover first edition in the mail, with that cool rear end cover art. I loved that poo poo, best Christmas present I ever got. Even though I don't really read King anymore, I kept them all. I'll never forget the commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc5uP5Tap4

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

I was gifted a membership to the Stephen King Library when I was very young (prob too young; I remember receiving and reading IT when I was 10). Every month or so, I'd get a hardcover first edition in the mail, with that cool rear end cover art. I loved that poo poo, best Christmas present I ever got. Even though I don't really read King anymore, I kept them all. I'll never forget the commercial.

I remember borrowing It from the library when it first came out because I couldn't wait for my Mom or any of my cousins to finish reading their copies. It was my introduction to massive hardback books being wristbusters when reading in bed. I also wouldn't be surprised if I really did fracture a toe when I accidentally dropped the hardback on my foot.

I do also remember that commercial. I had about a couple seconds of thinking 'ooooh!' before realizing that we already had every one of his books at that point so it would've been an automatic no from my Mom.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Origami Dali posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvc5uP5Tap4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXN7ekKUvc

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm a little disappointed that the Turtle is not in it, but what I am really hoping for is that the movie captures the paranoia of IT. We don't spend a lot of time with the creature in its own thoughts, but the passage we get is really good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm a little disappointed that the Turtle is not in it, but what I am really hoping for is that the movie captures the paranoia of IT. We don't spend a lot of time with the creature in its own thoughts, but the passage we get is really good.

In the latest trailer I think there's a Lego turtle that Bill drops when he sees Georgie in the house. It's around the 1:17 mark.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

In this trailer they show Patrick Hockstetter a few times beyond the missing poster. Doubt they'll keep in some of the really twisted stuff he gets up to, but he'll at least be a bully that goes missing. At 30 seconds Richie passes him, at 35 seconds he's with Bowers torturing Ben, and a about 2:04 it looks like he's trying to light something on fire/getting attacked by fire while screaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUTdjf9rko

Not much more, but it looks like there's a few seconds of new footage at the end of this 30 second TV spot

http://bloody-disgusting.com/videos/3451206/creepy-new-footage-another-new-tv-spot/

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I found out today that King has apparently written something like 62 novels, and I'm just :psyduck:

I mean I knew the man was prolific but god drat I didn't realize he'd written that many loving novels.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's pretty nuts. He came up with the Richard Bachman pseudonym just to release more books in a year, I believe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

joylessdivision posted:

I found out today that King has apparently written something like 62 novels, and I'm just :psyduck:

I mean I knew the man was prolific but god drat I didn't realize he'd written that many loving novels.

Considering he also wrote a few as Richard Bachman before coming out as Richard Bachman, I would not be surprised if there's a few unknown pseudonyms floating around out there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Drug and alcohol problems aside, everything I've read from/about King seems to indicate that he never really lost appreciation for the fact that he was somehow supporting a family and living a very nice lifestyle just by writing horror stories. But he always felt like he had to treat it like a job, like if he started treating it as a hobby(even though at a certain point he had the money to do exactly that), that's when his career would fall apart.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Drug and alcohol problems aside, everything I've read from/about King seems to indicate that he never really lost appreciation for the fact that he was somehow supporting a family and living a very nice lifestyle just by writing horror stories. But he always felt like he had to treat it like a job, like if he started treating it as a hobby(even though at a certain point he had the money to do exactly that), that's when his career would fall apart.

Yeah, I remember reading a story he told where a publisher's check for one of his early books showed up just in time to get medicine for an ear infection one of his kids had. Like, if he hadn't written, he wouldn't have had the money.

King's an interesting guy in his worth ethic. He's very similar to guys like Poe or Lovecraft, not just in terms of tone, but in understanding writing as an occupation as well as a craft. In a way it kind of speaks to the importance that The Dark Tower has to him: he poked along with decades between installments until the van accident. Then he kind of saw finishing the series up as a responsibility and burned through the last three in like, four years or some poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

He also has an absolutely absurd amount of those made into movies. It's sort of insane when you think about how many books he's written that have film adaptations, even if they're wildly different. (Running Man.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I remember reading a story he told where a publisher's check for one of his early books showed up just in time to get medicine for an ear infection one of his kids had. Like, if he hadn't written, he wouldn't have had the money.

King's an interesting guy in his worth ethic. He's very similar to guys like Poe or Lovecraft, not just in terms of tone, but in understanding writing as an occupation as well as a craft. In a way it kind of speaks to the importance that The Dark Tower has to him: he poked along with decades between installments until the van accident. Then he kind of saw finishing the series up as a responsibility and burned through the last three in like, four years or some poo poo.

Eh, I have a lot more respect for King than Lovecraft. Lovecraft married a woman and then refused to ever get a regular job even after years of no writing money coming in and them being forced to live in separate cities due to the financial hardship that his immaturity caused. She eventually divorced him, mostly because he would not allow himself to be dragged into adulthood, he basically died in perpetual adolescence having never really worked a day in his life. He had been born to a family that was regarded as above working class jobs, but the family money was running out by the time Lovecraft was entering adulthood and out of embarrassment Lovecraft refused to entertain the idea that he would ever make money doing anything other than writing. He was a petulant child.

His wife remarried and by all accounts lived a much happier life once she finally dropped him.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Considering he also wrote a few as Richard Bachman before coming out as Richard Bachman, I would not be surprised if there's a few unknown pseudonyms floating around out there.

If I remember rightly from an interview, the reason he did the Bachman pseudonym or one of the reasons was he wanted to see if people were buying his books just because of the name or they really liked his work. Apparently from the numbers sold, it's they like the work.

As far as his writing ethic goes, I highly recommend his book On Writing. He goes into quite a bit of detail on his perspective on things and the writing habits he uses. I've incorporated some into how I approach class papers and they haven't failed me yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
King's very much about sitting down each morning and writing for a bunch of hours in a row, doesn't even matter what. Just write. Everything gets edited and revised anyway, the people who sit around twiddling their thumbs until the perfect idea pops into their heads never get anything done.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

Eh, I have a lot more respect for King than Lovecraft. Lovecraft married a woman and then refused to ever get a regular job even after years of no writing money coming in and them being forced to live in separate cities due to the financial hardship that his immaturity caused. She eventually divorced him, mostly because he would not allow himself to be dragged into adulthood, he basically died in perpetual adolescence having never really worked a day in his life. He had been born to a family that was regarded as above working class jobs, but the family money was running out by the time Lovecraft was entering adulthood and out of embarrassment Lovecraft refused to entertain the idea that he would ever make money doing anything other than writing. He was a petulant child.

His wife remarried and by all accounts lived a much happier life once she finally dropped him.

Oh, no. Don't get me wrong. Lovecraft was a racist turbodick. It's just that back when he was actively writing he was one of those guys who rung ever last cent out of his "pay by word" contracts. I was just comparing that focused work ethic on King in terms of being a businessman as well as a storyteller.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

If I remember rightly from an interview, the reason he did the Bachman pseudonym or one of the reasons was he wanted to see if people were buying his books just because of the name or they really liked his work. Apparently from the numbers sold, it's they like the work.

As far as his writing ethic goes, I highly recommend his book On Writing. He goes into quite a bit of detail on his perspective on things and the writing habits he uses. I've incorporated some into how I approach class papers and they haven't failed me yet.

I've read On Writing cover to cover several times, and when actually applying some of his ideas/habits, they really work.

That book also made me excise adverbs almost entirely from my own writing for a while because Uncle Stevie said they were bad and lazy.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

joylessdivision posted:

I've read On Writing cover to cover several times, and when actually applying some of his ideas/habits, they really work.

That book also made me excise adverbs almost entirely from my own writing for a while because Uncle Stevie said they were bad and lazy.

The big one for me was the disciplining yourself to be able to just sit at the keyboard and crank out steady for however long. Once I got into the habit of that, I haven't had a bout of writer's block since.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

The big one for me was the disciplining yourself to be able to just sit at the keyboard and crank out steady for however long. Once I got into the habit of that, I haven't had a bout of writer's block since.

I was doing really well with sitting for an hour and just writing and then stopping once the hour was over. I started with short stories and then applied the same discipline to other longer projects I was working on and it worked well.

I need to get back to doing that because otherwise I'm not getting anything written at all.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I watched the IT mini series when I was a wee lad and when George winked in that picture I about poo poo my pants.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

Nora Roberts is also in that kind of situation--writes so much that she had to take on a pseudonym to write more, different books. She's got something like 200 under her own name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

King was literally living in a trailer and barely making ends meet before he sold Carrie. I read a interview once where he said that if his wife had asked him to give up writing so he could focus on his his day job he would've done so without hesitation but she was extremely supportive and when he threw the manuscript for Carrie in the trash because he had lost faith in it she fished it out and convinced him to finish it.

• Locked thread