Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Armin Shimmerman and René Auberjonois had appeared in early seasons and were used well (with Auberjonois' episode being the best episode of the series)
That one bugged me, because they were perfectly willing to offer sanctuary to Apophis, an alien creature responsible for countless atrocities, but Son of Hitler gets intentionally splatted against the iris after begging for his life.

edit: Apophis, not Anubis.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We've been going through Stargate SG1 and overall is a good time. We're up to season 6 and I think it the best series of episodes yet. I like how the show respects their own canon.

Great show, except when they don't leave Earth and become NCIS: Stargate. The SG1 team of an Air Force officer, an Air Force scientist, a civilian anthropologist, and an alien warrior, would be sent around the United States to investigate government conspiracy and hack computers. These episodes are the weakest of the series as they rarely have science fiction elements, and at worst resemble cop shows, right down to SG1 chasing perps down alleys or interrogating suspects.

This also led to the unfortunate squandering of a precious Star Trek actor guest appearance. Armin Shimmerman and René Auberjonois had appeared in early seasons and were used well (with Auberjonois' episode being the best episode of the series), but unfortunately John de Lancie was cast as a leader of a shadowy group of conspriators who sit around desks and threaten people in suits, waiting for Richard Dean Anderson to show up and shoot everyone with a stun gun.

Fortunately mid-6th season they seem to have figured out Earth is boring and moved on from these types of episodes (and de Lancie's fate was kickass).

Everything involving Maybourne is excellent and I will hear nothing against it

I guess he does move offworld eventually but still.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Well, I tried watching an old Eddie Murphy stand up special and had to quit after he asked the faggots in the audience not to look at his rear end.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Couldn't you just cover up the bottom of the screen?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

holy rofl

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

We've been going through Stargate SG1 and overall is a good time. We're up to season 6 and I think it the best series of episodes yet. I like how the show respects their own canon.

Great show, except when they don't leave Earth and become NCIS: Stargate. The SG1 team of an Air Force officer, an Air Force scientist, a civilian anthropologist, and an alien warrior, would be sent around the United States to investigate government conspiracy and hack computers. These episodes are the weakest of the series as they rarely have science fiction elements, and at worst resemble cop shows, right down to SG1 chasing perps down alleys or interrogating suspects.

This also led to the unfortunate squandering of a precious Star Trek actor guest appearance. Armin Shimmerman and René Auberjonois had appeared in early seasons and were used well (with Auberjonois' episode being the best episode of the series), but unfortunately John de Lancie was cast as a leader of a shadowy group of conspriators who sit around desks and threaten people in suits, waiting for Richard Dean Anderson to show up and shoot everyone with a stun gun.

Fortunately mid-6th season they seem to have figured out Earth is boring and moved on from these types of episodes (and de Lancie's fate was kickass).

These episodes are actually why Michael Shanks left the show for season 6 before coming crawling back.

Strudel Man posted:

Holy poo poo.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

7 pages and nobody mentions the Lone Gunmen (X-Files spin-off) episode from freakin 2001 involving terrorists/hackers/cyberpunks flying a jet into the World Trade Center towers?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Since people have mentioned the inverse before in this thread I think this is fair game - some of the satire in Rocko's Modern Life has actually aged fairly well. While some episodes are nowadays irrelevant due to things like cartoons being less censored and certain places getting rarer and rarer, or even just the tech leaving the portrayal behind, there was a fairly prescient subtle joke right in the second episode - The O-Town Minimall is right in the middle of O-Town National Forest - land that should be federally protected due to it's national park status. It seems in the world of Rocko, Conglom-O's lobbyists beat the government and now they can build wherever.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Since people have mentioned the inverse before in this thread I think this is fair game - some of the satire in Rocko's Modern Life has actually aged fairly well. While some episodes are nowadays irrelevant due to things like cartoons being less censored and certain places getting rarer and rarer, or even just the tech leaving the portrayal behind, there was a fairly prescient subtle joke right in the second episode - The O-Town Minimall is right in the middle of O-Town National Forest - land that should be federally protected due to it's national park status. It seems in the world of Rocko, Conglom-O's lobbyists beat the government and now they can build wherever.

Still one of the best jokes in any cartoon/tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQXmz2AReQ

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Alpenglow posted:

7 pages and nobody mentions the Lone Gunmen (X-Files spin-off) episode from freakin 2001 involving terrorists/hackers/cyberpunks flying a jet into the World Trade Center towers?

The one that aired before 9/11, thus sparking a thousand real conspiracy theories?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

eating only apples posted:

Everything involving Maybourne is excellent and I will hear nothing against it

I guess he does move offworld eventually but still.

Haha we just finished that episode about 10 minutes ago. It was excellent, good mystery, Carter doing her best to save Jack, and a satisfying explanation of what happened to the aliens. I wasn't onboard for early Maybourne episodes, but after he went fugitive he got a lot better.

Instant Sunrise posted:

These episodes are actually why Michael Shanks left the show for season 6 before coming crawling back.

Whoa really? I was wondering about him leaving, as he has already popped up for a cameo so I assumed he was on good terms with the show. Although I think Jonas is an upgrade. His upbeat attitude and enthusiasm help the energy. Jackson was alright but could be flat, and his weird mysticism episodes were not great.

Strudel Man posted:

That one bugged me, because they were perfectly willing to offer sanctuary to Apophis, an alien creature responsible for countless atrocities, but Son of Hitler gets intentionally splatted against the iris after begging for his life.

edit: Apophis, not Anubis.

You're right, but drat, what a crowd pleasing way to end an episode. That would be my go to for trying to get someone into the show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Still one of the best jokes in any cartoon/tv show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQXmz2AReQ

I loved Rocko's outburst at Filbert at the end of that episode when finally arriving with his groceries in time for the big sale - only for the sale to end mid-scan because Filbert is a slow idiot.

*starting calmly but getting increasingly tense*"Listen you... Since today began I've been run over, attacked by wild lobsters, nearly starved to death, had an encounter with an incredibly large woman, been threatened, almost lost my dog and still made it in time for your stupid sale! So, if you don't change that price back to $1.50, I'm going to do something NOT NICE!"

I recently rewatched the first season of the show and I think that's one of Rocko's personal strengths - he's a complete milquetoast, life walks all over him and he lets it - insofar as it only affects his stuff or his money, things he really doesn't care about too much. However when his wellbeing or that of his friends is threatened you had better not be the antagtonist because while he has a very long fuse when it does run out his temper is violent and explosive. Hell, he even stands up for himself sometimes when his life isn't at risk, like in the Carnival episode where in his frustration with two of the games, he throws a ball hard enough to nuke the entire stand, although the obviously glued milkbottles are still standing afterwards, and drops a backhoe on the lever to launch a frog onto a lily pad as he isn't strong enough with the mallet.

One last point - he obviously considers Mrs Bighead a good friend even if he never purposely interacts with her as such, as he notices the difficulties she's having with her distant husband, and warns him (after his incredibly mean remark: "You've seen my WIFE, in her BATHROOOOOBE!? Isn't it awful...:smith:") that he is very lucky that Mrs Bighead latched onto someone who wouldn't take advantage of her, and that he needs to start paying attention to her or he will lose her.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 06:16 on Aug 4, 2017

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

OldTennisCourt posted:

That's more CSI. With SVU it's usually some line about how awful the crime is or whatever. Lenny on vanilla Law and Order would make a joke, but SVU usually dealt with rape/child molestation so you'd rarely get a funny quip.

The first season or so of SVU I seem to recall there being a bit more humor to it from just maybe an episode or so featuring a 'goofy' SVU-related crime as an afterthought like, "Oh, a report of a guy streaking through Central Park. He's probably just college frat prank or off his meds..." Then even in the last handful of years you get the dumb poo poo like them commandeering a department store intercom to find an employee who uses the online handle "Master Baiter" like it's a cop comedy from the 90s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

hahahahaha

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

I loved Rocko's outburst at Filbert at the end of that episode when finally arriving with his groceries in time for the big sale - only for the sale to end mid-scan because Filbert is a slow idiot.

*starting calmly but getting increasingly tense*"Listen you... Since today began I've been run over, attacked by wild lobsters, nearly starved to death, had an encounter with an incredibly large woman, been threatened, almost lost my dog and still made it in time for your stupid sale! So, if you don't change that price back to $1.50, I'm going to do something NOT NICE!"

I recently rewatched the first season of the show and I think that's one of Rocko's personal strengths - he's a complete milquetoast, life walks all over him and he lets it - insofar as it only affects his stuff or his money, things he really doesn't care about too much. However when his wellbeing or that of his friends is threatened you had better not be the antagtonist because while he has a very long fuse when it does run out his temper is violent and explosive. Hell, he even stands up for himself sometimes when his life isn't at risk, like in the Carnival episode where in his frustration with two of the games, he throws a ball hard enough to nuke the entire stand, although the obviously glued milkbottles are still standing afterwards, and drops a backhoe on the lever to launch a frog onto a lily pad as he isn't strong enough with the mallet.

One last point - he obviously considers Mrs Bighead a good friend even if he never purposely interacts with her as such, as he notices the difficulties she's having with her distant husband, and warns him (after his incredibly mean remark: "You've seen my WIFE, in her BATHROOOOOBE!? Isn't it awful...:smith:") that he is very lucky that Mrs Bighead latched onto someone who wouldn't take advantage of her, and that he needs to start paying attention to her or he will lose her.
I had not considered any of this. Well said.

Strudel Man posted:

Obligatory props.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

The first season or so of SVU I seem to recall there being a bit more humor to it from just maybe an episode or so featuring a 'goofy' SVU-related crime as an afterthought like, "Oh, a report of a guy streaking through Central Park. He's probably just college frat prank or off his meds..." Then even in the last handful of years you get the dumb poo poo like them commandeering a department store intercom to find an employee who uses the online handle "Master Baiter" like it's a cop comedy from the 90s.

The very first episode introduced Stabler during a court case basically calling a flasher's dick small causing the dude to whip it out during the trial.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Strudel Man posted:

:golfclap:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

Rocko is an interesting case study for this thread. On a superficial level it's very dated (there's definitely something ironic about a show about "Modern Life" that prominently features rotary phones and tube TVs) but it's insightful enough that it holds up remarkably well.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Ralph Bighead creator-insert is interesting in that he works as a straight narrative and a prescient look at the future of animation. The Wacky Deli episodes were more about the nature of success--Ralph's "slapped together on a weekend" project is what gets him immense fortune even though it slowly kills him to make it, kind-of like Matt Groening and The Simpsons--but also looks remarkably like Adult Swim fare of the next decade (as seen by a bitter aging Gen-Xer ranting about "dem kids").

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Baywatch has not aged well at all, if only for the constant immediately dated product placement. Hope you like 90s A&W cream soda

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Straight White Shark posted:

Rocko is an interesting case study for this thread. On a superficial level it's very dated (there's definitely something ironic about a show about "Modern Life" that prominently features rotary phones and tube TVs) but it's insightful enough that it holds up remarkably well.

It's why I'm super excited for the reboot because all the jokes in it were pitch perfect Rocko but with current stuff

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

It's why I'm super excited for the reboot because all the jokes in it were pitch perfect Rocko but with current stuff

I hadn't even heard that this was in the works. That really makes my day!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope if works better than the Dangermouse reboot. I must admit I was disappointed with that.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wacky Deli is legit a shockingly accurate forecast of early adult swim.

It's also in the top 5 best episodes of a cartoon in the 90's.

Rocko and Hey Arnold are hands down the best Nicktoons of that era, they're really only behind the two Avatar series as of now.

It's awesome that both those shows are getting continuations too and it looks like both are gonna be great. Rocko's humor is pitch perfect and I'm so glad it's a fish out of water story that doesn't go the "WOWZERS, MILLENIALS SURE ARE HUMAN GARBAGE HUH?" route. Hey Arnold just has to finish a pre made arc and that'd be perfect.

I'll say that Invader Zim has not aged well. It's fanbase utterly demolished the show and it's really hard to go back to it without realizing 'Oh yeah, this started that loving "LOL RANDOM" humor trend'

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Aug 4, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think Zim has some humour that still works, mainly the absurd situations, like the members of the Irken Empire who's planet was turned into a giant weapon factory, so they intentionally make garbage weapons that serve no purpose like the giant robot that turns invisible - except the pilot can still be seen floating in midair, and it has a really short power cable that needs to be plugged in at all times.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
For me the stories regarding Zim's creation and cancellation are way more interesting than the show. How the gently caress did it get made? Was it really meant to be part of some Adult Swim knockoff Nick was developing?

What about the idea that Nick wanted to make a show out of the dude's other hyper weird comic?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think looking back at it my favourite villain in Courage the Cowardly Dog was Katz, because he was unique. The other villains wanted something tangible and understandable: Money, Lasting power over someone, wanting the farm to flourish, even justice in some cases, but Katz as introduced in Katz Motel didn't give a gently caress. He was simply a psychopath who killed because he enjoyed killing. Stay at his motel, have a good nights sleep on the outskirts of nowhere, a pleasant if bare room - and get eaten by giant spiders. Courage, Muriel and Eustace were not Katz' first victims. They were just the only ones to survive the one character who simply killed for the pleasure of it. He only gained a motive after that episode - revenge against the family who escaped and humiliated him.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

OldTennisCourt posted:

For me the stories regarding Zim's creation and cancellation are way more interesting than the show. How the gently caress did it get made? Was it really meant to be part of some Adult Swim knockoff Nick was developing?

What about the idea that Nick wanted to make a show out of the dude's other hyper weird comic?

Nick wanted to make a show for the 11-15yr old crowd and somehow thought Vasquez was the man to give it to them.

The upcoming movie should be interesting.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Almost any animated show made before HD was the standard has aged poorly because cheap TV animation is even uglier when it doesn't have the filter of the warm fuzzy blur of an SD cathode ray tube.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Guy Mann posted:

Almost any animated show made before HD was the standard has aged poorly because cheap TV animation is even uglier when it doesn't have the filter of the warm fuzzy blur of an SD cathode ray tube.

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A lot of old cel-animation can still look really good or even better than when it originally aired.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If anything, early digital/flash animation looks like poo poo now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Early hybrid 2d/3d shows look awful now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Beast Wars, Shadow Raiders holy moly

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't think this is necessarily the case. A lot of old cel-animation can still look really good or even better than when it originally aired.

Plus they could conceivably re-make cel era cartoons in HD by re-shooting all the original animation cels.

All they have to do is contact all the people they sold them to and ask for them back. Pretty simple.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Rocko and Hey Arnold are hands down the best Nicktoons of that era, they're really only behind the two Avatar series as of now.

Back in the day I would have said Rugrats was the best nicktoon, but it's basically unwatchable now that I'm not 6.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

Baywatch has not aged well at all, if only for the constant immediately dated product placement. Hope you like 90s A&W cream soda
Because you didn't give the plug, if you're curious to see just how badly (wonderfully) Baywatch has aged, check Allison Pregler's YT series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVcsEYeJV54&t=30s
Every episode is worth a watch.
Baywatch did a Gilligan's Island crossover for gently caress's sake :psyduck: the series is goddamn surreal

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'll say that Invader Zim has not aged well. It's fanbase utterly demolished the show and it's really hard to go back to it without realizing 'Oh yeah, this started that loving "LOL RANDOM" humor trend'
Invader Zim did not start that trend. It started airing the exact same time as Adult Swim and came after a decade of Liquid Television.

If you can divorce the fanbase from the show, it holds up pretty well. It's still got some tone problems where it's hard to give a poo poo about the gears grinding in-between comedy beats, but some of the humor/animation is still solid.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The story goes that Nick was trying to make a new teen block for Saturdays, like SNICK only not-terrible, but I've never seen any sources to back it up. I think you're talking about the Vasquez comic "Squee" or something? I don't know. The only other property I know the guy for was Johnny the Homicidal Maniac and the title alone should tell you why it would never have made it to TV.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Back in the day I would have said Rugrats was the best nicktoon, but it's basically unwatchable now that I'm not 6.

I still remember Catdog looking pretty decent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RareAcumen posted:

I still remember Catdog looking pretty decent.

That show's probably aged worst of all, it was already super mean-spirited when it aired.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

It did give us this:

which is kind-of sad considering this is what resonated beyond childhood in the wider culture, instead of like the Dead Mom episode.

Inescapable Duck posted:

That show's probably aged worst of all, it was already super mean-spirited when it aired.
Yeah my brother and I grew up watching Tom/Jerry, Road Runner/Wile E Coyote, Sylvester/Tweety, Elmer Fudd/Bugs Bunny, and a whole bunch of other stuff, and Catdog was where we finally stood up and said "STOP TORTURING THE STRAIGHT MAN!" Bear in mind we were like 7 and 5 so this had more emotional weight to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We straight up live in Invader Zim world so i think it holds up very well.