Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
When that happens I try to take a quick break and swap weapons to reset my headspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

What's the trade-off of the Sploosh-o-matic relative to other Splatoon 2 weapons? A shorter range, higher damage Aerospray? As much as I used the Splash-o-matic in Splatoon 1 I never really touched the Sploosh

I actually don't understand the point of the splash-o-matic in splatoon 2, or rather it's niche. Feels redundant with the Jr. and nzap85 and why do I need laser accuracy at that short a range

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So how on the ball are Nintendo about game balancing? Because tri-slosher is loving absurd.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Frankston posted:

So how on the ball are Nintendo about game balancing? Because tri-slosher is loving absurd.

Depends on the game.

The Splatoon devs... well their heart is in the right place sometimes, but they make some weird decisions otherwise.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Also I've had the most miserable time recently, I've swung from 31-19 to 21-29 over the past two days. It seems like if I'm not totally on the ball and playing the game of my life every game then we lose because my teams are just consistently poo poo. I popped a 2x XP ticket and then went 4-16. gently caress. :argh:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The tri slosher is fine.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Frankston posted:

Also I've had the most miserable time recently, I've swung from 31-19 to 21-29 over the past two days. It seems like if I'm not totally on the ball and playing the game of my life every game then we lose because my teams are just consistently poo poo. I popped a 2x XP ticket and then went 4-16. gently caress. :argh:

XP tickets really are the kiss of death. I used one when I was one win away from getting out of A- Rainmaker, then proceeded to lose 4 straight for the meter reset. Back to the inking board...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol if your fun hinges on your win percent

LOL if you're thinking about replying that that's what a loser would say

Actually, matchmaking and ranking is good because whether you are a C+ player or an S+ player (or an A- player like me) you get to have pretty good matches most of the time.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Having every match feel like a matter of life or death owns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lakbay posted:

Having every match feel like a matter of life or death owns

Sure, during the match. But that can be true whatever your rank.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Deltron 3030 posted:

XP tickets really are the kiss of death. I used one when I was one win away from getting out of A- Rainmaker, then proceeded to lose 4 straight for the meter reset. Back to the inking board...

Hah, same but B+ to A-. See if you can spot the exact moment I popped the ticket (I was on an 8 game winning streak) :)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Frankston posted:

Hah, same but B+ to A-. See if you can spot the exact moment I popped the ticket (I was on an 8 game winning streak) :)

If it makes you feel any better, XP tickets are worthless. At least you didn't waste a coin ticket!

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Cat Machine posted:

Is there a browser version of SplatNet 2? I keep seeing score screenshots that look like they're made for desktop.

There is not. You get those images by hitting share on a match in the app.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I thought blue gacha capsules meant you got a random drink ticket from SR. They do not :(

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

Actually, matchmaking and ranking is good because whether you are a C+ player or an S+ player (or an A- player like me) you get to have pretty good matches most of the time.

C- or C, however, is either a blowout for the other team or a long and arduous struggle for your team. Seriously. I've only had one or two matches were the teams actually seemed evenly matched.

I know, I know, if you're stuck in C- you deserve to be there. Only having a few hours to play video games a day makes for some slow progress.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there some sort of unlockable for collecting al the stuff in octo canyon? My googling couldn't find anything

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Astro7x posted:

Is there some sort of unlockable for collecting al the stuff in octo canyon? My googling couldn't find anything

You unlock a deep feeling of disappointment.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Astro7x posted:

Collecting all the sunken scrolls gets you all the sunken scrolls. I hope you like lore!

Anchovium or whatever is just an upgrade material. You might want it all if you are gonna go through and unlock all the hero replica weapons for battling, might as well make it easier and upgrade all the weapons so you can blaze through the levels a bit faster. If you're just interested in getting the story and maybe the Hero Shot Replica then you shouldn't spend too much time hunting them down.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How do you get the full armor version of the hero armor in multiplayer? I saw some people running around with it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

How do you get the full armor version of the hero armor in multiplayer? I saw some people running around with it

The Marie amiibo gives out armor replica gear in the style of Splatoon 1. If people are running around in Splatoon 2 style armor I've got no clue.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Seeing my teammate repeatedly try to headshot a steel eel with a charger in the mouth during the first round really lowered my expectations for the rest of the run.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

The Marie amiibo gives out armor replica gear in the style of Splatoon 1. If people are running around in Splatoon 2 style armor I've got no clue.

Callie's amiibo gives the reinforced hero armor.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I think the only Amiibo I would ever buy is a Mr. Grizz one since that could look like a tacky souvenir I bought in a tourist trap shop in the Pacific Northwest

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What are the foil packs that Salmon Run specials come in supposed to look like, anyhow?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

What are the foil packs that Salmon Run specials come in supposed to look like, anyhow?

I think they're meant to be juice packs like this -

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I think the only Amiibo I would ever buy is a Mr. Grizz one since that could look like a tacky souvenir I bought in a tourist trap shop in the Pacific Northwest

It's actually an Ainu native bear carving that was made during the early to mid 1900s that was made to sell to Japanese tourists that hawked at the crazy natives they tried to exterminate as a way to provide for themselves. They are technically sacrilegious because ainu religion disallowed making carvings of sacred animals but they were desperate for money and the tribe was known for its bear rituals. Now they are associated with Hokkaido tourism.

I have one ironically in my house from the 1950s before splatoon 2 came out

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

We need someone with esoteric knowledge of the Japanese fishing industry now

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
We've probably had discussions about the lower tick rate in Splatoon 2 - I just don't remember them here. Anyhow, a week ago an amateur sleuth blog posting was published that provided some technical background on the issue.

Oliver Brammer posted:

Splatoon 2’s online experience is considerably worse than the original game in quite a number of categories. The game runs 30% slower than Splatoon 1, meaning the metagame is going to be heavily skewed to favour high damage, low time-to-kill weapons. Adding to that, players have been drawn into the title by bold claims that later have proven to be absolute nonsense. Good online multiplayer networking plays a much larger role in enticing people to play at a competitive level. If Nintendo are dead set on making Splatoon 2 a competitive title, then they should focus their efforts to make dedicated servers possible in 2018. Dedicated servers would also bolster security and anti-cheat measures. Cheating online became a very big issue for the original game, so they would be doing themselves a huge favor.

The content in this new game is refreshing. By improving the networking, it would make this game truly something to get excited about. Until then, I’m going to be playing casually. Salmon Run, here we come.

My online experience has been smoother than in Splatoon 1, but I suppose peer to peer networking doesn't work for everybody.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Splatoon 2 - Rated M for Mature

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I've had 99% less killed by lag simply by not playing against Japanese players all the time. I haven't put in the time to hit S rank though, least in A I'm still mostly playing against people in my region. Also I ...maybe once felt like someone who was plainly lagging got the advantage over me. It seems way more if they're dragging they get removed from my game when I splat then vs the last game where I'd beat some lagging jerk into the ground and then explode a second later anyway as their machine went nuh uh I got you first!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's cool when people who have played thousands of hours of a game also say it sucks and they hate it

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

Splatoon 2 - Rated M for Mature

Wouldn't be a Friday night if we weren't spraying red and white goo all over the place amirite?!??

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

In Training posted:

The tri slosher is fine.

I agree. I've been using the trislosher a lot because I like its balance of range, spread and the ink armor special but it's not a super broken weapon that takes no skill to use and there are many counterplays to it.

Having played that weapon a lot amount I have a good feel for its strengths and weaknesses. If I'm playing a different weapon I usually can handle other trisloshers just fine. If the weapon really were overpowered I doubt it would be such a simple matter to do so.

If I were to make a balance change to the trislosher as it is, maybe slightly increasing the ink consumption would be reasonable, but I still don't think that's wholly necessary, and I'd hate to see a fun weapon get trashed because they decided to give it dynamo roller refill mechanics.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So at what point do you consider starting to customize gear? I was considering scrubbing a helmet for the Splatfest, but the game is still so early in that I'm not sure if I should still just be hording chunks or what.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

It's not way out of wack like the dynamo roller was at first but it really seems like the side damage & range is a lot higher than it was in 1. I used to use it to and I know it's not too hard to 1 2 punch someone with it but I had to get a hell of a lot closer then than people have to with me now in 2.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

^burtle posted:

So at what point do you consider starting to customize gear? I was considering scrubbing a helmet for the Splatfest, but the game is still so early in that I'm not sure if I should still just be hording chunks or what.

You should care about your main abilities always as they're pretty impactful, don't worry about subs until A+/S.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

LethalGeek posted:

It's not way out of wack like the dynamo roller was at first but it really seems like the side damage & range is a lot higher than it was in 1. I used to use it to and I know it's not too hard to 1 2 punch someone with it but I had to get a hell of a lot closer then than people have to with me now in 2.

If it turns out this is right and they want to nerf the side damage a bit I'm fine with that since the weapon will still be viable. My mechanics are good as-is so it will just mean me winning more fights against worse tri-sloshers and having some learning to do when I lose to better ones. I just hope they don't turn the weapon into a complete mess just to compensate for people's complaints (og dynamo needed nerfing, by the end of splatoon 1's life it was nerfed way too much).

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If your Win/Loss is more important than just having fun playing (which is fine, you do you) and you are complaining that some particular weapon is overpowered, then for squid's sake use that weapon and GET GUD

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
wut r u, a casul?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'd only expect something minor like 10% slower fire rate.

Ok booted the game up to go into the test room

The main thing they changed is the side blobs are more "full", they leave a bigger trail and this thing definitely seems to be firing faster than I could in S1 (went and checked on the Wii U) so my guess about a fire rate drop sure sounds right.