Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

what's the deal with this grimoire game i've never heard of

Looks like an old PC RPG. I don't know anything more but I found this video and watched a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Kn2lBlnfU

It looks really bad. :( Normally this type of game would be my game, but this is... not great looking

e: An official video. Pretty cringy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI-OR8FISA

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

battle network games are adequate but are probably left for my middle school self to play

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

aren't the battle network games the ones where all the megamans are pokemons used by 10 year olds

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

excuse me megaman is literally lan's brother "hub". who died of cancer or something and they made him into a program.exe

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jay Rust posted:

I've never properly played a Sonic or Mega Man, where should I start
MM2 or MM3 for a NES one, Mega Man X for best overall experience.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the only Sonic game I like enough to recommend, but I like it a lot so I will gladly do so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just seems like recommending gwent: the card game when someone asks what witcher game to start with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

just seems like recommending gwent: the card game when someone asks what witcher game to start with
the battle network games are fully featured rpgs and 3 and 6 are the most fun games the series has produced

and i like the classic platformers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

vermin posted:

Super Mario Bros 3 has 7 kingdoms. There could be an over-arching empire composed of smaller kingdoms, but I always assumed Peach was either the daughter of the king from World 1 or at least the Crown Princess meaning she was next in line. Remember, she spends most of her time playing tennis, golf, go-karts, and party games. You don't see her negotiating trade deals or colonizing Dinosaur Land or anything.

Being the Heir Apparent could mean she's given honorary lordship over a smaller but culturally significant county or city-state.

Long story short: There should be a Super Mario 4X game. I have copious amounts of notes about this if anyone wants.

All the princesses are because it's easier to picture an unmarried princess as a love interest rather than a Queen, because the default assumption is of a queen consort rather than a queen regnant.

Frozen had the right ideas in its story of monarchy in crisis

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Endorph posted:

the battle network games are fully featured rpgs and 3 and 6 are the most fun games the series has produced

and i like the classic platformers

gwent is a fully featured collectible card game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't recommend mega man 1 to someone, it kinda sucks rear end and has some of the cheapest level design among all the nes games

i'd say anything from mm3-6 and the the first five or so x games are good starting places and if you play x4 or 5 and like playing as zero, i'd rec the zero games from there. mm2 is maybe an alright place to start but it has enough cheese with stuff like the boobeam trap that i still wouldn't say it's the most friendly to someone jumping in

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe they shouldn't have made battle network 3 better than any of the platformers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything after X1 is kinda bad, in terms of X games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like x4, and x2 and x3 would be good if they didn't have the annoying sub-boss secret stuff and significantly worse sigmas than x1 but in terms of general level design they're not atrocious

never play x6

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

Everything after X1 is kinda bad, in terms of X games

Because they were literally b-team efforts.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this man's hitbox is smaller than his face

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
X4 is great if you think the dialog is meant to be cheesy and not supposed to be taken seriously.
I also prefer MML2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I envy all those that can complain about X games before 5.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway battle network is fun but bn3 has too much annoying backtracking for me to say it's better than any of the platformers

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I gave up on MMBN fairly early in the series. I beat the first one but I remember getting g to a point in the second one where the fetch quest nature of the central game just became overwhelming tedious and I just stopped playing. I'm usually pretty tolerant of that kind if stuff but at one point, despite liking the central gameplay, all my will to go on just left me.

Also the good Sonics are 1, 2, 3+K, CD, Colors and Generations. If you like what you play there check out Advance, Advance 2, Rush and Rush Adventure. If you still want more cautiously try Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Unleashed and Lost World. Everything else has no redeeming value and should be avoided at all costs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have not played an X game besides X1 and X2.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

megaman 3 also has annoying backtracking

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I gave up on MMBN fairly early in the series. I beat the first one but I remember getting g to a point in the second one where the fetch quest nature of the central game just became overwhelming tedious and I just stopped playing. I'm usually pretty tolerant of that kind if stuff but at one point, despite liking the central gameplay, all my will to go on just left me.

yeah i'm gonna say you should just skip to 3 cause while it's still got some pretty bad fetch questy stuff, it's not anywhere near battle network 2's level of making the entire loving internet a conveyor belt maze. and then probably just skip to 6 after that if you're not interested in playing a hilariously badly written but mechanically ok game and a game where you team up with ribitta and mr. higsby to fight evil

Nate RFB posted:

x3 is a decent game on the surface with lots of bafflingly bad design choices underneath, x4 is a good game that's just not aged super good because all the best parts of it (zero) are done better in the zero games, x5 has a killer soundtrack but is kind of piss easy and x6 could almost be called the worst 2d mega man game ever made if network transmission didn't exist

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nate RFB posted:

Probably for the best

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here's the only part of x5 you should ever care about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57arnjuNmy0

this guy owns because he doesn't have any super dark villain motivation he's just an rear end in a top hat being paid to murder thousands of people and he doesn't really give a gently caress. and then he goes insane and dies in x6

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

yeah i'm gonna say you should just skip to 3 cause while it's still got some pretty bad fetch questy stuff, it's not anywhere near battle network 2's level of making the entire loving internet a conveyor belt maze. and then probably just skip to 6 after that if you're not interested in playing a hilariously badly written but mechanically ok game and a game where you team up with ribitta and mr. higsby to fight evil

x3 is a decent game on the surface with lots of bafflingly bad design choices underneath, x4 is a good game that's just not aged super good because all the best parts of it (zero) are done better in the zero games, x5 has a killer soundtrack but is kind of piss easy and x6 could almost be called the worst 2d mega man game ever made if network transmission didn't exist

First mm games I ever played was Battle Network 1 and then 2, and I saw they were putting a game on GameCube, so I bought Network transmission and it was so bad I never touched another MM game again until 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Looks like an old PC RPG. I don't know anything more but I found this video and watched a few seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Kn2lBlnfU

It looks really bad. :( Normally this type of game would be my game, but this is... not great looking

e: An official video. Pretty cringy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kI-OR8FISA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAsPyYonNg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the level three charge shots in X2 and X3 were loving horrible

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

First mm games I ever played was Battle Network 1 and then 2, and I saw they were putting a game on GameCube, so I bought Network transmission and it was so bad I never touched another MM game again until 2016

it's amazing when you compare network transmission to the janky bad wonderswan battle network game that was basically the same thing, and the wonderswan game is like a billion times better even though it's hilariously broken mechanically

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I actually did play Battle Network (can't remember which one) on emulator and it has a neat idea, combat was pretty fun, but also like really loving boring dungeons and dialogue

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Mega Man X5 is actually the game that got me into the franchise.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

there is absolutely nothing engaging about battle network's story or characters other than Mega Man being an AI scan of the main character's dead brother, which is never touched on

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I can't believe no one has mentioned the factual truth that ZX is both the best X game and the best Zero game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

I can't believe no one has mentioned the factual truth that ZX is both the best X game and the best Zero game.

I don't care for the overworld but the gameplay is otherwise good

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I hate when I get a cool game idea because I know I can't program for poo poo and it'll never happen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
actually, the dialog in battle network is amazing

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 4, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Oh wow it's like I'm right there fighting those giant mosquitoes

vermin posted:

I hate when I get a cool game idea because I know I can't program for poo poo and it'll never happen

Same except with creating music

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
don't buy grimoire

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is this guy supposed to be a gimmick or is he just a real guy who's real bad at video games

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

raditts posted:

Is this guy supposed to be a gimmick or is he just a real guy who's real bad at video games

He has some good and funny videos (MGS V videos), but some of them are like that and bad and not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
actually dunkey owns

• Locked thread