Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Burning Rain posted:

cheers, I'll have a better idea now what keep an eye out for. I'm not wedded to the particular mechanics, I just like good turn based rpg fighting with some plot to tie it together. I didn't really like Lords of Xulima because of the grind or Grimrock because of thet combat. but I haven't played Wizardries for rmore than half an hour, so I guess I'll try those, since there's a bundle of 6&7 for 3 euros: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/retro-heroes-bundle

Gog.com also carries a good number of the older games that are like Wizardry. Might & Magic 3-5 might be up your alley if you aren't wedded to how Wizardry does FPP turn-based dungeon crawling and classes; M&M and Wizardry are cousins mechanically, but M&M plays smoother in my opinion. (Just 3-5 though, M&M 1 and 2 and super old/obtuse and 6-9 are real time combat).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ulio posted:

If you mean Dynasty Warrior by DW, this is not a dynasty warrior/musou game. Burning Blood is a one piece fighting game and its actually pretty good but if you are not into fighting genre avoid it.

Oh, I thought it was version #202193 of the One Piece musou games. In that case, I won't use that key SinineSill, feel free to give it to someone else.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Orv posted:

And because I'm sure someone will ask;

War for the Overworld is a very capable Dungeon Keeper 2 successor with a fairly lengthy, enjoyable campaign that you should try if those games ever at all interested you. They did a major overhaul of the game late last year that solved many of its initial problems and it's in a very good place now.

It also has a crap ton of DLC. Is any of it considered necessary? It's on sale so I thought I might grab any of the good pieces

Overall I'm happy with the bundle for this month. I didn't have anything other than PoE, and it looks like some pretty decent stuff. If I had friends, I'd be super hyped about overcooked.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Might and Magic 6 and 7 both actually have a hybrid toggle-able real time/turn based combat system which is really bizarre, but it works well once you understand when to use which one.

I did not actually play 8 or 9 so I don't know about those.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Substandard posted:

It also has a crap ton of DLC. Is any of it considered necessary? It's on sale so I thought I might grab any of the good pieces

Overall I'm happy with the bundle for this month. I didn't have anything other than PoE, and it looks like some pretty decent stuff. If I had friends, I'd be super hyped about overcooked.

Wuppo is basically a Nintendo game like Paper Mario and absolutely amazing. Please enjoy it!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Substandard posted:

Ya overcooked seems like a cool game to play local co op but nearly all of my gaming with friends is done through online.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Orv posted:

Oh, I thought it was version #202193 of the One Piece musou games. In that case, I won't use that key SinineSill, feel free to give it to someone else.

Okei

Someone please take these off me:

One Piece Burning Blood
Nongunz

Orv
May 4, 2011

Substandard posted:

Heart of Gold is 4 more epilogue-ish campaign levels tied into the main campaign, and is of the same quality as the original levels. That's not a super terrible price for it.

Crucible is a horde survival/TD kinda mode for the game. I'm not really one for TD games so I didn't put much time into it, it seemed fine.

My Pet Dungeon I haven't played, their extremely generous largess for me having bought the game years ago having run out, but from what I understand it's a mainly building and system tweaking focused campaign rather than your typical build up, find enemy, crush enemy problem solving of the main campaign. No opinion there, obviously.

E: Oh, durr, the other stuff is totally unnecessary in any way.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 4, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Might and Magic 6 and 7 both actually have a hybrid toggle-able real time/turn based combat system which is really bizarre, but it works well once you understand when to use which one.

8 is basically the same as 7 and that includes the turn-based option yes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Do we have a mostly dead "co-op with goons" thread hanging around somewhere? If not, is it worth creating one? Goons are notorious for being absolutely fantastic partners in co-op and multiplayer, after all.

People just use whatever thread/discord they have for that particular game, like vermintide

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

SinineSiil posted:

Okei

Someone please take these off me:

Nongunz

I looked at the store page for this and it has a gif of you fighting a building-sized skull and that looks pretty neat. It also sounds roguelikey and I need more of those for this December.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I know they have the toggle, but there is a lot of stuff to mow through in those games if you're only using the pause-action system. For sanity's sake I would assume most people want to FPS magic and arrows through all the pirate, cultist, and spider groups.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Zaphiel posted:

Is there a story? That sounds a bit like Fantasy Life/Rune Factory 4, but without the combat.

Danakir posted:

Yonder seems like a really interesting game, but glancing at the reviews it seems like it's also really short? Or are the reviewers being unfair and giving the wrong impression here?

Yes, there is a story, but like the game, it is kind of low-key. At first it's guiding you towards the different activities you can undertake, and then becomes a multi-part quest. (If there's more past that, I haven't seen it yet.) You can basically go off and do other things as much as you'd like and then return to it. If you just beelined the story missions, I imagine it'd go very quickly. It's just such a go-your-own-pace game that I can't imagine doing that.

There's no in-game clock, but I'd estimate I've played 15 hours or so so far, and if I try to finish everything I want to do, there's at least that much left. I mean we're looking at another couple of hours yet just for bridge-building, not to mention searching for all those cats.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Objection, Operation Abyss is perfectly serviceable if you want relaxing dungeon crawling. It feels very similar to SMT1+2 (except with a set party) and is just pleasant to play. I mean, I've been using it as a wind-down game recently, and dig it a lot.

Thanks for this. I've had it in the cart for half a day now trying to decide, and since that's exactly what I want, I'll probably pick it up.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So hows Killing Floor 2, worth getting if I didn't find KF1 all that great? Are they going to milk it with future DLC?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Im_Special posted:

So hows Killing Floor 2, worth getting if I didn't find KF1 all that great? Are they going to milk it with future DLC?

A great deal more of the same.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Who wants One Piece? I really have no interest in it whatsoever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

atholbrose posted:

Thanks for this. I've had it in the cart for half a day now trying to decide, and since that's exactly what I want, I'll probably pick it up.

You're welcome! I'm 13~ hours into it and just enjoying it a lot. :3:

Notes:

- You need an academic, they cover all of your traps/locked doors problems and have some nice debuffs for enemies.
- Google any mechanic you don't understand. Gamefaqs has some decent topics explaining the game as it tries to be opaque.
- Play in classic mode! It's more fun to put dumb masks on your dudes and customize them than use their fancy-dancy portraits.
- "find hachi" this quest line never ends afaik and it's terrible so just do it a few times but don't try to grind it or anything.
- The unity command has a 100% escape option. Use this whenever you find groups of annoying enemies when you're trying to advance the plot.

Proof as to why classic mode is best:

Cons:

- Dungeon design isn't the best, and you'll return to certain floors a lot to get to a portal at the end of them. This is fine as you kind of do need to grind - I mean, I haven't hit any huge walls, but definitely take exp when you can get it. (Also I'm a nerd who likes to fill out EVERY square on my minimap, even when I can see that the square is a shock square or whatever, so... I wind up going through the same sections a bunch.)
- You can only level up outside of the dungeon? Restoring spell-points only happens outside of the dungeon? It's weird.
- Plot is hilariously thin.

But I love this game and I'll be grabbing Babel whenever I get there. It's just... mm. Scratches that ol' SMT1+2 itch, and I loved those games to bits.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

- You can only level up outside of the dungeon? Restoring spell-points only happens outside of the dungeon? It's weird.
- Plot is hilariously thin.

that's because they're based on wizardry 5, and that's how it worked in w5.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think "thin" for the plot of most Wizardrys is actually being fairly generous.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

I haven't played any of the Wizardries! My reference point are the SMTs, which, while the plot was relatively thin, it WAS there and it DID have character development / fun things happening as well as some incredible concepts and atmosphere. Tokyo getting nuked in the first game was a really cool sequence, and the whole bit in the second with the amnesiac plot leading into "you're actually the cloned messiah and your mom is your partner" jrpg craziness was a delight.

By contrast Operation Abyss has you as a bunch of highschoolers with magic powers fighting an evil organization that mutates people, and you can't actually raid their HQ because of plot-politics (aka until your sempai gets kidnapped) and it's just kind of there. At least the monster designs are fun to look at.

e: Basically if they put the SMTs on Steam with even a little QoL stuff I'd buy it for everyone I know because I love those games so much.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Orv posted:

I think "thin" for the plot of most Wizardrys is actually being fairly generous.

well, i mean, 6 7 and 8 have plots with characters and stuff, and towns to explore, and things like that. it's just that in japan everyone loves wizardry 5 for some reason so that's the one they imitate

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

so i was reading your other reviews and I noticed that Dungeon Manager ZV 2 existed, and that I had enough steam funbux for it

thanks!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zetsubou-san posted:

so i was reading your other reviews and I noticed that Dungeon Manager ZV 2 existed, and that I had enough steam funbux for it

thanks!

apparently it's got an expansion pack now too!

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

Cool bundle

I like and activated these for myself:
Offworld Trading Company
War for the Overworld
Overcooked
Wuppo! (because it was praised here so much :o)

Same, those are some really nice extras thrown in with Pillars.
I got a feeling their subs for next month are gonna tank though unless they reveal another heavy hitter.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

corn in the bible posted:

It's a little more obtuse than that cause the Operation Abyss games are remakes of a series called Generation Xth which was Experience's take off of Japan-exclusive Wizardry series Wizardry Xth which is itself based on Wizardry 5.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I looked at the store page for this and it has a gif of you fighting a building-sized skull and that looks pretty neat. It also sounds roguelikey and I need more of those for this December.
Nongunz is a capable platformer, shooty-grindy rogue-like that takes the player hatred of that genre to a new level of pettiness. The game doesn't tell you anything, there's no words on the menu at all, and your player stats screen looks like this:

16 stats! Do you have any clue what the top right corner represents? Cuz I sure as hell don't.

Compare that to Binding of Issac, which only has 6 character stats to upgrade:

The artwork for the game is decent enough; weird that you're a skeleton fighting body parts but whatever it works. I've been grinding XP and leaving the dungeon early to cash out at the altar for better gear, because you need something better than the starting pistol to do enough damage to the bosses. One skull I found let me spit out a ball and teleport over to it, which was cool for skipping some tough jumps. You can roll and slide to dodge attacks too.

I don't hate the game; there's some layers to it with finding new skulls, weapons, and items... I just wish I knew what the hell anything did.

War is sweet to those who haven't tried it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sauer kraut posted:

Same, those are some really nice extras thrown in with Pillars.
I got a feeling their subs for next month are gonna tank though unless they reveal another heavy hitter.

Got the KF2 for my friend for who I got first KF many years ago.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Waffle! posted:

Nongunz is a capable platformer, shooty-grindy rogue-like that takes the player hatred of that genre to a new level of pettiness. The game doesn't tell you anything, there's no words on the menu at all, and your player stats screen looks like this:

16 stats! Do you have any clue what the top right corner represents? Cuz I sure as hell don't.

Hardly seems that complicated. I mean, you've got Accuracy, Bullet Speed, Bullet Pathfinding, Proofreading Duration, White Swords, Red Swords, Mosaic Mastery, Bullet Leadership, Herbal Levitation Power, Floor Explosion Rate, Cholesterol, Red Sword Chance (out of White Swords, I assume), Backwards Stumbling Proficiency, Subtle Smirk Rating, Progress Towards Knot-Tying Badge, and Move Speed.

I haven't been this excited about a stat sheet since Dredmor!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Part of me still doesn't believe it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

It's bad. It started off promising but update after update has completely messed up the balance and the exploit-y parts of the meta were never addressed.

There's a thread for it here, the last few pages should tell you more.

I read the more recent posts in that thread though to be honest, I still cannot tell if it is just people getting really mad over nothing or if they just patched their own game into badness (Steam review at least don't seem to have a noticeable dip).

Eh, guess I'll just err on the side of caution then and assume it really is bad.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Waffle! posted:

The game doesn't tell you anything, there's no words on the menu at all,

I really hate it when games do this, it hardly ever works.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Hero of the Kingdom 59 cents (90% off). If you want a pretty chill point and click adventure game that costs less than a can of soda this is one to buy. So far, it is pretty fun based on my one hour of playing it last night.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Is he an advocate for science not working, because you don't take that many man-hours to finish a 90s videogame project with competent management.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I'll take the One Piece game if anyone wants to get rid of theirs. You can add me on Steam or mail me at Demicol At gmail.com

Got it, thanks!

Demicol fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 5, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hummingbird damage 51

are there like any good modern wizardry clones that aren't elminage or stranger in sword city on the pc

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 4, 2017

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

Waffle! posted:

accuracy, projectile speed, projectile size, combo timer decay, damage up, crit damage up, passive point/currency gain, fire rate, fall speed, jump height, hp, crit chance, pushback (your shots fired push you back slightly. this lowers the amount), slide distance(maybe speed), roll distance(maybe speed), walk speed.

i'm a big fan of Nongünz. the art is rad. it's got a real good soundtrack. more than anything, though, is the controls. they're super tight. your slide has momentum, so you can time it to score extra hits on an enemy above you toward the end of the slide. there's a short window after a roll where your attack is a guaranteed crit. you can quick-swap equipped skulls to do cool things like teleporting to a high place with the mole skull, then swapping to the bear skull to do the ground pound.

far as i'm concerned, at this point, i bought a giftable copy of Nongünz for US$12 and got a bunch of freebies along with it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

hummingbird damage 51

are there like any good modern wizardry clones that aren't elminage or stranger in sword city on the pc

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Souls on PSN for PS3.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Im_Special posted:

It's more polished and pretty than KF1, thanks to time spent on animations and the gore system. A lot of mechanical stuff is more surfaced and in the case of the melee class you can actually actively block and carry your swing ala Chivalry now instead of taping down the attack button and face-tanking everything. Classes now have an A/B skill tree to make (non-permanent) choices in every five levels instead of everything just being incremental stat boosts. Difficulty scales up by adding more mechanics and more dangerous enemy variants instead of just cranking up the spawn numbers and HP on everything. Instead of taking the loads of DLC route, they're going the Steam Market way this time - lots of random cosmetic drops, crates and keys, etc. All of the actual gameplay updates have been free so far.

With that said, it's still the same basic horde shooter at its core, so if the fundamental gameplay loop didn't appeal to you 2 isn't going to change your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

nelson posted:

Hero of the Kingdom 59 cents (90% off). If you want a pretty chill point and click adventure game that costs less than a can of soda this is one to buy. So far, it is pretty fun based on my one hour of playing it last night.

It's probably my favorite chill game ever, it's just so relaxing to click around and earn stuff to build bridges and raid camps and then go fishing and collect mushrooms.