Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

This is a weird favorites list, so far. Baseball SAS is confirmed to be weirder than ever, I guess.

There were so few ballots that everyone's weird pet picks got bumped up a couple of notches. Like I said, #25 was comprised almost entirely of players who were VERY liked or VERY hated by one specific SASer (I still don't know how I was the only one who voted for Andrew Miller, but hey).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

What's the more attractive part of Andrew Miller - his beard or his slider?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

(I still don't know how I was the only one who voted for Andrew Miller, but hey).

relief pitchers are boring

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

(I still don't know how I was the only one who voted for Andrew Miller, but hey).

Because there are no Indians fans in SAS until October.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kirios posted:

Trick question: His moustache.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:iceburn:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kirios posted:

I've been trying to answer this question for like 30 minutes, and I honestly am not sure. Gonna have to go with the slider though, because that thing is filthy.

Paul Zuvella posted:

relief pitchers are boring

YOU'RE boring. :mad:

Inspector_666 posted:

Trick question: His moustache.

:geno:

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:(

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:drat:

I didn't vote this year because a) I forgot, and b) I couldn't think of enough players that I actively hate.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
My hate list is like 50% bad A's pitchers past and present. There are probably more deserving targets but I just haven't kept up to date with who's a homophobe or a wife beater or a bitchboy about batflips

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Hated - 9 points

A flurry of #2 votes, with one exception.

Kurt Suzuki
Team: Atlanta Braves
Debut: June 12, 2007

What's to hate? Any reason to hate a Brave is a good one, as far as I'm concerned. That said, he has been having a decent year and a fantastic July, so I'm not sure what the specific problem is.

Darren O'Day
Team: Baltimore Orioles
Debut: March 31, 2008

What's to hate? Has a super ugly delivery. This guy was #19 on the list last year and no one ever elaborated on their reasons.

Brandon Crawford
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: May 27, 2011

What's to hate? He's not having a great year, but I strongly suspect that this vote was predominantly Dodgers salt-motivated. Naturally, Crawford was the only one with multiple votes, making this even more confusing.

Johnny Cueto
Debut: April 3, 2008

What's to hate? Jason LaRue doesn't hold a grudge, but SAS does. LaRue's career was prematurely ended & his life was changed when Johnny Cueto kicked him in the head repeatedly in 2010.

Derek Norris
Team: Tampa Bay Rays no one
Debut: June 21, 2012

What's to hate? Allegedly roughed up ex-fiancee Kristen Eck after she caught him talking on the phone with a female suitor.

quote:

Derek approached me from behind and put me in a choke hold...I threw the phone onto the kitchen island and tried to get away. Derek then grabbed me by the back of my hair to pull me back to him. He eventually let go and as i turned around he grabbed me by my upper arms so I couldn’t leave as he tried to drunkenly explain that he wasn’t talking to another female.

After this I tried to go to our bedroom to get my phone to call my mom so she could come help me. He stood in front of me cornering me so i could not get to my phone.

Francisco Rodriguez
Team: Detroit Tigers Washington Nationals no one
Debut: September 18, 2002

What's to hate? Aside from the 7.82 ERA that earned him unceremonious releases by the Tigers AND the Nats in less than a month, he has been accused of trashing a home he rented last year.

Current Rankings

quote:

24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 3, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
e: never mind!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

e: never mind!

You didn't see anything. *jedi hand wave*

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I didn't even realize K-Rod was still playing, otherwise he would've probably made my hated list somewhere near the bottom.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I didn't even realize K-Rod was still playing, otherwise he would've probably made my hated list somewhere near the bottom.

I mean, he's technically kind of not. :shrug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

K-ROD IS THE DUMBEST NICKNAME IN BASEBALL

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#24 Most Loved - 9 points

Brandon Crawford
Debut: May 27, 2011

What's to love?

Nah, but seriously, he's pretty great. He grew up a Giants fan, came up through the Giants organization, and has been playing consistently with the Giants since 2011. He didn't make a HUGE splash during his WBC appearance, but he's got a lot of good will built up from EYBS his contributions to the Giants' 2012 and 2014 WS wins.

Justin Turner
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: September 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/gaslampball/status/880981754206498816

What's to love? Justin Turner raaaaaaaaaakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shhW5CLF6H0

He also has an absurdly adorable puppy named Moonshine...

...in addition to a fun personality. :unsmith:

Yadier Molina
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: June 3, 2004

What's to love? High baseball IQ, extremely gung-ho attitude.

Adam Wainwright posted:

You don't ever have to worry about bouncing a ball to Yadier. He's a human vacuum behind the plate. The only thing you have to think about is making the pitch, because you know Yadi's going to catch whatever you throw.

Salvador Pérez
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: August 10, 2011

What's to love? What's NOT to love, really? He's a big giant teddy bear who also happens to also be a five-time All-Star, and he still finds time to harass Lorenzo Cain for fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n4NE9S_2yo

He's the only public figure who I've never seen receive a negative Instagram comment. Dude radiates positivity and awesomeness.

Carlos Correa
Team: Houston Astros
Debut: June 8, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_wa0SMVPCA

What's to love? He's young, he's fantastic, and he's only going to get better. AL Rookie of the Year in 2015, All-Star and WBC silver medalist in 2017 -- it's truly a shame that he's injured this year because he's such fun to watch on both sides of the plate.

Current Rankings (players on both lists will be bolded as they're added, just like last year)

quote:

24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Justin Turner also looks exactly like Tormund Giantsbane from Game of Thrones

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Justin Turner is awesome and the most gingery ginger man to ever ginger. Last year he got an infection from an ingrown hair on his thigh and missed a couple weeks.

Brandon Crawford is the greasy bloopy embodiment of everything I can't stand about the Giants and I'm glad he made the hate list no lower than the love list.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

bawfuls posted:

Justin Turner is awesome and the most gingery ginger man to ever ginger.

Counterpoint

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I meant that his major infection from an ingrown thigh hair strikes me as a particularly ginger injury for whatever reason

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Matt Murton was so gingery that he gingered himself to Japan and broke Ichiro's single-season hit record

bawfuls posted:

I meant that his major infection from an ingrown thigh hair strikes me as a particularly ginger injury for whatever reason

Ginjury

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Justin Turner is cool. The Dodgers are cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
At long last, a non-tie! :toot:

#23 Most Hated - 10 points

Chris Davis
Team: Baltimore Orioles
Debut: June 26, 2008

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? Spells his name wrong and absolutely slays the Jays. Not a terrible player against other teams, mind you, but he has hit more homers against Blue Jays pitching than any other active MLB player.

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Back to ties. :geno: These are each one person's favorite player, and once again my vote is represented. I'll let you guess who I chose.

#23 Most Loved - 10 points

Adrian Gonzalez
Debut: April 18, 2004

https://twitter.com/gaslampball/status/880981754206498816
sorry, I just really love this GIF/video

What's to love? Adrián el Titán has been stunningly reliable as a player, having gone on the disabled list for the first time in his 13-year career this past May (granted, it's a doozy, but still). Despite the fact that nagging injuries have enabled Cody Bellinger to replace him, he has handled the situation tremendously well, even going as far as recommending against sending Bellinger down when Joc Pederson came off the DL.

quote:

The way I was feeling at the time, I told them straight up, ‘He’s a better guy to help the team win than me hurt...I mean, I’m just here to win. It’s not about, ‘It’s my position,’ or, ‘It’s his position.’ It’s about winning as a team. If he’s the best guy for the team that day, he’s going to play. If I’m the best guy for the team that day, I’m going to play.

He famously criticized the extremely awesome (but not above criticism, to be fair) World Baseball Classic in the wake of Mexico's elimination, but that doesn't seem to have hurt Dodgers fans' attitude toward him at all.

Carlos Martinez
Team: St. Louis Cardinals
Debut: May 3, 2013

What's to love? First off, he's a great pitcher. That said, his fun-loving personality is probably more endearing than his sheer performance.

He is a man of many hairstyles, for one.

He likes to imitate his teammates when they're at bat too, which is something I have gotten to witness in person, which was glorious.

Jerry Blevins
Team: New York Mets
Debut: September 16, 2007

What's to love? Nasty, nasty curveballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Do1l8itr6E

Has an SNY vlog called Hello Jerry, in which he answers fan questions that have nothing to do with baseball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fERaGHCcW0w

Rally-bleached his hair with the team even though it looked loving horrible.

Even puppies like him. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/851188067100745730

Noah Syndergaard
Debut: May 12, 2015

What's to love? Pitched beautifully through the 2016 NLWC, as well as the entire rest of his career.

He's a big guy with a bigger personality, and baseball is less fun with him on the DL (tore his lat under mysterious circumstances that no one likes to talk about).

Fortunately his injury has not prevented him from continuing to feud with Mr. Met.

https://twitter.com/mrmet/status/883024696865943552

https://twitter.com/Noahsyndergaard/status/883123983993798656

Lorenzo Cain
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: July 16, 2010

What's to love? Not just Salvy Pérez's bestie, Lorenzo Cain is charming in his own right, not to mention a great outfielder.

https://twitter.com/LasMayores/status/892172576373571585

Also, he hit a 302-foot homer which...what the gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjXN76yyQ2Y

His splashing skills could use some serious work though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6b7bfZkmA&t=86s

Current Rankings

quote:

23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 3, 2017

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I like how Yadi had to jump up to give Jose Martinez (listed at 6'7") a high five after Yadi hit his first HR of the night Wednesday. :3: He had to do the same thing after his 2nd HR, but the video doesn't show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvtglIQh-AY

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Adrian is my favorite player and he hasn't played on my team for seven years and I am retroactively angry at you Dodgers fans for not voting for him. He is the best and you are bad!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Counterpoint: a bad diaperbaby and I wish I'd replaced McCann with him on my list of bads

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

On the one hand, the lack of votes this year is really making poo poo weird. On the other hand, I voted, and now my votes count for so much more! Take that, Chris Davis, and your stupid smarmy face I hate it so much

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Munenori Kawasaki was ineligible so I refused to vote.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Berzerker posted:

On the one hand, the lack of votes this year is really making poo poo weird. On the other hand, I voted, and now my votes count for so much more! Take that, Chris Davis, and your stupid smarmy face I hate it so much

Same. With so much overlap among the Cubs posters their favorites are guaranteed to be at the top. However, it leaves the lower area wide open for the underrepresented teams. For instance: My favorite 3 players got in purely on the strength of my votes, I'm betting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

OzFactor posted:

Adrian is my favorite player and he hasn't played on my team for seven years and I am retroactively angry at you Dodgers fans for not voting for him. He is the best and you are bad!
Adrian is great but I also voted for like 4 Dodgers already. This team has a lot of lovable players and I had to leave some room for non-homer picks.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Good evening, everyone! I am currently vacationing in Blue Jays territory, hence the delay. Sorry about that!

#22 Most Hated - 11 points

Carlos Gómez
Team: Texas Rangers
Debut: May 13, 2007

#1 votes: 1
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate? If I had to guess, I would say that it was his awful 2016 with the Astros, which led to his release, after which the Rangers picked him up and he proceeded to turn back into a good player.

He did piss off Brian McCann in 2013 though, you'd think that'd be enough to make up for it. :shobon:

Current Rankings

quote:

22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#22 Most Loved - 11 points

Robinson Canó
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: May 3, 2005

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? In an All-Star Game with too few dingers, he smashed one to bits and earned himself the MVP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOrKhGQfAo

Has a beard blessed with Derek Jeter's sacred touch.

Seriously though, in addition to being a clutch player with a scorching hot bat, he's a good dude. He runs the RC22 Foundation, meant to help children in Seattle and his native Dominican Republic, and has a wing in the Hackensack Medical Center named after him. Class act.

Edwin Encarnación
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut: June 24, 2005

What's to love? The imaginary parrot Edwing, for one.

Encarnación has gone from raking with the Jays to raking with Cleveland, thus spreading good will to a whole other division. It's no wonder Indians fans would like him, given how well he's been hitting for them.

Current Rankings

quote:

22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Carlos Gomez? I didn't know McCann was a goon.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The #21 most hateables are really REALLY hateable this year, so brace yourselves.

#21 Most Hated - 12 points

John Jaso
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: September 6, 2008

What's to hate? Voluntarily, unapologetically has the most disgusting hair in MLB history. Believe me, I have looked for additional reasons to hate him, but aside from the hair, he seems like a normal guy and a pretty much average player. The hair is unforgivable though.

Jeurys Familia
Debut: September 4, 2012

What's to hate? On October 31, 2016, Familia's wife Bianca Rivas called the police (the recording of the call is in the link).

quote:

"My husband had a little bit of alcohol and he's going crazy," says Rivas, whose identifying information is redacted from the audio recording provided to NJ Advance Media.

"Your husband is drinking and you're in a dispute with him?" the dispatcher asks.

"Yeah. He's drunk," Rivas responds.

Police stated that when they arrived, Rivas looked a bit roughed up.

quote:

Familia's wife, Bianca Rivas, was left with scratches on her chest and a bruise on her right cheek, police said.

On Thursday, [Prosecutor Arthur] Balsamo said that Rivas told him that the scratch came from the couple's 1-year-old child and that the mark on her cheek came from leaning on it.

Rivas dropped charges, but MLB suspended Familia for 15 days anyway because the evidence, according to their investigation (and to be fair, common sense), added up.

Jonathan Papelbon
Team: Washington Nationals still no one
Debut: July 31, 2005

#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? Still a smarmy rear end in a top hat who no one likes, and thankfully now he's not good enough to play for anyone. It breaks my heart that he's in the same FA class as Tim Lincecum.

Current Rankings

quote:

21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I unironically like Jaso's hair because I'm all for greasy long hair in the MLB.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
John Jaso is cool and also on like an 0-for-25 streak so I hope the Pirates stop sending him to the plate

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Long hair is nice, and a lot of my favorite-to-look-at players are long-haired, but when you get into Charlie Blackmon/Heath Hembree/John Jaso territory, it's gone too far.

I think John Jaso's hair grosses me out even more because he has teammates who have great dreadlocks (Josh Bell, Gift Ngoepe sometimes).

edit: I also though Jarrod Saltamacchia's hair was pretty gross, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

I unironically like Jaso's hair because I'm all for greasy long hair in the MLB.

100% this, I'm upset by him being on this list

Also I removed Papelbon because I figured he wasn't eligible as he isn't playing. Guess I missed the Free Agent clause, consider him higher on this list

• Locked thread