Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

cage-free egghead posted:

That reminds me of the weird and disgusting rooms that goons have. Anyone have that link?
Turn your monitor off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

That reminds me of the weird and disgusting rooms that goons have. Anyone have that link?

I don't have the link, but I do have this:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Whatever happened to BungMonkey anyways?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

tvgm2 posted:

Paradise lost.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

tvgm2 posted:

It puts the lotion on it's skin . . .

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Is PYF Goon Lairs gone now? I found it was incredible motivation to clean my house.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Well, there's this. And this too. Trigger warning: reddit.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

joe944 posted:

Speaking of big mousepads. WFH today so snapped some pics of the setup after I changed it again.

http://imgur.com/a/ahJ5W

Panorama

Some shots of the desk area

Cabling

Dogs

What mount are you using? I want do do that but can't find a mount for My two monitors that would fit. I have a 34 inch 21:9 and 27 inch 16:9. Both on ergotronic arms at the moment.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

the vagina hole you get vertically stacking curved monitors would bother me to no end

on an unrelated note, gently caress curved monitors

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

the vagina hole you get vertically stacking curved monitors would bother me to no end

Do not gently caress your monitor's vagina hole, you weirdo.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

I'm curious about this. I know curved monitors suck for being TVs in rooms where more than one person watches at a time, but do they really suck as computer monitors, where one person is in the ideal viewing position all the time?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreatGreen posted:

I'm curious about this. I know curved monitors suck for being TVs in rooms where more than one person watches at a time, but do they really suck as computer monitors, where one person is in the ideal viewing position all the time?

Some crappy monitors have light bleed issues in the corners, and on smaller monitors it doesn't help a lot, but otherwise no, it's really fun and cool.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

Some crappy monitors have light bleed issues in the corners, and on smaller monitors it doesn't help a lot, but otherwise no, it's really fun and cool.

Even expensive monitors have light bleed. See: XB270HU & XB271HU.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

Hamelekim posted:

What mount are you using? I want do do that but can't find a mount for My two monitors that would fit. I have a 34 inch 21:9 and 27 inch 16:9. Both on ergotronic arms at the moment.

I had an ergotron dual mount when I had them side by side. Picked up this one for the vertical setup.

If you line up the monitors to get rid of the hole it's far less usable. Viewing angle on both monitors gets screwed up. If going vertical you really have to angle the bottom monitor up and the top monitor down.

joe944 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 10, 2017

shookwell
Oct 3, 2004
no fuckin cornflakes
Built my wife a desk. The cabinets are from Lowe's and are the same as the kitchen. The desktop is a piece of marble that's the same as the kitchen counters. The tiles are similar to the kitchen backsplash but light instead of dark.

had the marble guy cut a couple of holes for wire management

desk + kitchen

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GreatGreen posted:

No, it works great (unless you regularly draw straight lines), you sit in the sweet spot and near enough that is actually beneficial and not a stupid, adverse gimmick like with TVs.

Violator
May 15, 2003

shookwell posted:

Built my wife a desk. The cabinets are from Lowe's and are the same as the kitchen. The desktop is a piece of marble that's the same as the kitchen counters. The tiles are similar to the kitchen backsplash but light instead of dark.

had the marble guy cut a couple of holes for wire management

desk + kitchen

Nice, you did a really good job. I like how well it mixes with the rest of the room, feels much more natural and comfortable I imagine.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Why not flush with the wall?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That's one way of keeping her in the kitchen :haw:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

MrMoo posted:

Why not flush with the wall?

the trim i would assume

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Just cut it out? Now that gap is going to gather nasty and be annoying to clean.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4OWQEQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_AL0Jzb185V3SB

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

joe944 posted:

Speaking of big mousepads. WFH today so snapped some pics of the setup after I changed it again.

http://imgur.com/a/ahJ5W

Panorama

Some shots of the desk area

Cabling

Dogs

What desk is that?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Looks like an Autonomous smartdesk.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Oddball place to ask, but I'm pondering a decoration for a tempered glass panel on a desk. Is something like a vinyl decal a go-to for option for that? The look I'm going for would be a logo that looks like it's etched/printed on the glass, clear all around it. (so not a solid background color around the logo)

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

It's actually an uplift900 that I bought a couple years ago. Likely uses the same exact components though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The control panel looks identical to my Autonomous frame. I noticed that Lian Li's new adjustable desk / computer case combo also has the same panel, so it's probably some Chinese ODM.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Finally finished rebuilding my office at the weekend into the attic room. The room isn't much bigger than a walk-in closet and behind where I was standing to take the picture is a chest of draws and plastic storage bins.

Ended up building my own desk from a kitchen counter-top, got the legs from an ironmonger and then had them powder coated.

The TV aerial socket in the wall is because my original plan was to wall mount a TV, but ended up not doing it in the end.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How much did the desk end up costing?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

How much did the desk end up costing?

£190 for the Iroko worktop (2000 x 720 mm)
£170 for the pair of legs (including having them painted)
£20 for the danish oil to treat the worktop and miscellaneous fixings for the legs

Considering the size of it and the quality of the individual parts it worked out really well for the money!

Io_ fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Aug 21, 2017

big scorp
Dec 11, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what's with 7chan/#gaymanlove

don't mind the details

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I got myself an IKEA Bekant with a nominal cable net, but turns out there's literally no space left due to the supporting beam and the elevation PSU.

I am firmly against drilling when it comes to cable management, so what's the best way to mount or fit my power sockets to the desk in a way that allows me to keep adding and removing plugs as well as the sockets themselves?

I was thinking about some hard tape, but I don't know whether that sort will tear off half my table with it when I peel it off.

I'm sure they're some neat, obscure things to buy, but they'll have to be available from Amazon.co.uk or somewhere else that ships within EU.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 10, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

wrong place

Moey posted:

Where is better?

My post was in wrong place, it found a perfect place already , don't worry.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 10, 2017

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Sininu posted:

wrong place

Where is better?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just finished staining the folding counter in my laundry room and it turned out so wel I think I'm gonna do the same treatment to my desk

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ufarn posted:

I got myself an IKEA Bekant with a nominal cable net, but turns out there's literally no space left due to the supporting beam and the elevation PSU.

I am firmly against drilling when it comes to cable management, so what's the best way to mount or fit my power sockets to the desk in a way that allows me to keep adding and removing plugs as well as the sockets themselves?

I was thinking about some hard tape, but I don't know whether that sort will tear off half my table with it when I peel it off.

I'm sure they're some neat, obscure things to buy, but they'll have to be available from Amazon.co.uk or somewhere else that ships within EU.

All tapes and double sided glue pads have been either too weak or didn't work with stuff that gets warm and weakens the glue for me. Some screws on the underside and tent repair elastic band between them to bind stuff up in combination with cable clips worked best for me for tucking all the power strips, power bricks and cables to the underside of my Galant.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eBoot-Piec...V6CTGA193KRM8BQ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meters-ELA...nt+pole+elastic

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 10, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'll try some minor tape solutions like you suggest while leaving out major scotch tape for the socket then. It's also hella expensive anyway.

Anyone know if heat guns work to remove adhesive tape in general or if that's something I should just forego immediately?

Someone also suggested a light glue gun that doesn't peel off the surface when you remove it.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

ufarn posted:

I'll try some minor tape solutions like you suggest while leaving out major scotch tape for the socket then. It's also hella expensive anyway.

Anyone know if heat guns work to remove adhesive tape in general or if that's something I should just forego immediately?

Someone also suggested a light glue gun that doesn't peel off the surface when you remove it.

Why don't you just get one of these surge protectors with a built in desk clamp?

Plugable 6 AC Outlet Surge Protector with Clamp Mount for Workbench or Desk. Built-In 10.5W 2-Port USB Charger for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJD6WSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3TyTzbHB3767G

Tripp Lite 6 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip Clamp Mount 6ft Cord 2100 Joules Dual USB & INSURANCE (TLP606DMUSB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUB7C8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OXyTzbKKQNXFQ

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dogcow posted:

Why don't you just get one of these surge protectors with a built in desk clamp?

Plugable 6 AC Outlet Surge Protector with Clamp Mount for Workbench or Desk. Built-In 10.5W 2-Port USB Charger for Android, Apple iOS, and Windows Mobile Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJD6WSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3TyTzbHB3767G

Tripp Lite 6 Outlet Surge Protector Power Strip Clamp Mount 6ft Cord 2100 Joules Dual USB & INSURANCE (TLP606DMUSB) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EUB7C8I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_OXyTzbKKQNXFQ
European (ie different sockets), so I basically have to retrofit my existing ones. They also cost a bit on their own here, too, and I have a bunch lying around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I use a regular power board with a small g-clamp to hold mine to the desk.