Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

Great Beer posted:

early access gaming lol

A game that you can walk into a store and buy off the shelf with no mention of early access. Same with the PSN store

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Raged posted:

Thing that irks me about the game is that the base game is fun, but the 50 systems that are in the game to push you towards dropping tons of cash on it are infuriating. Bet we will be seeing research boots in the future.
Agreed. It's kind of a bell curve. The tutorial is so loving long it took me two days of moderate playtime to get through Stonewood, where not all of the zombies exist, and not all of the objectives exist. It slowly introduces these things over time, and that hits its peak about the time you enter Plankerton. When you get there, objective and monster variety skyrocket. However, you get a very short time of enjoyable gameplay after that point before hitting the drat pay wall.

Hence, it's a bell curve. The game itself underneath the mountains of F2P bullshit is awesome, but you really have to force yourself through to enjoy it. The last two or three days I've simply logged on to collect my research points. Today I didn't even do that.

I wasn't a proponent of the "pay wall" until I hit mid-Plankerton. I kind of thought the double/triple dipping was shady though. That they are selling five drat tiers of founders access to a game that isn't finished by their own admission, after advertising it as being more or less finished (I'm referring to the third and fourth acts not existing, but being advertised.) And even with those five tiers of founders access, they're still layering on the same F2P mechanics that will hit the F2P players in 2018. So yeah, I didn't mind that, because that seems to be standard practice these days.

I only minded it once I hit mid-Plankerton, and suddenly I could not advance past Fort Level 20, and the response of the community was "use transform keys!" Those cost over 400 people to transform a rare. I get 9 people a mission, and it costs 15 people to send off an expedition. The grind is ridiculous. I have a job and a wife to tend to, I don't have time to grind that hard, which sucks because yes, the gameplay is so good.

/review/rant

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Great Beer posted:

Plankerton and Canney Valley storm shield bases have been wiped.
It looks like at least they refunded the resources and traps to your SS storage.

e: Still really sucks, but I'm less pissed than I was.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 4, 2017

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Agrajag posted:

Wow, did it really? That kinda defeats the purpose of a survey.

Not in a world where gamer manbabies will regularly assemble and brigade/inundate reviews and surveys for trivial poo poo simply because they are bored and need a "cause" to "fight" for.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Arsonide posted:

I only minded it once I hit mid-Plankerton, and suddenly I could not advance past Fort Level 20, and the response of the community was "use transform keys!" Those cost over 400 people to transform a rare. I get 9 people a mission, and it costs 15 people to send off an expedition. The grind is ridiculous. I have a job and a wife to tend to, I don't have time to grind that hard, which sucks because yes, the gameplay is so good.

/review/rant

The advice for you, and anyone like you, and literally anyone in fact, is to play the last difficulty of missions that were still fun. And if you don't have fun doing those even without progression than learn that the entire F2P monetization scheme is not for you. What you should not do is start dropping money on the game to try and get past the wall. Because that wall is always there, getting steeping and more fortified as the game gets harder.

ADDED: And definitely not in a snob "this is for betters" meaning. The monetization scheme is predatory. Being prey of any kind for it is a bad thing. Some people who can play the same level a million times and still have fun are resistant to the monetization scheme and can dip their toes in for quite a while, but a lot of people just don't enjoy that and their time is better spent elsewhere.

ADDED, DIFFERENT TOPIC: So important information for anyone still playing this bad game. Damage % on weapons and traps is probably the worst roll possible because it's not an increase TO your base damage, it's an increase FROM your base damage. AKA 40% damage on your weapon is worth 40 offense points.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 4, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Great Beer posted:

wtf

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

They clarified what happened to the bases. They changed the maps and had to remove the bases but gave you everything back.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...canny-and-twine

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Bakalakadaka posted:

They clarified what happened to the bases. They changed the maps and had to remove the bases but gave you everything back.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/...canny-and-twine

Well, that's not so bad.

Also, they DO have the ability to wipe & refund resources/traps. Hopefully that becomes a real feature soon.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
So is this 1000 coin llama bundle then one I should be saving up for and use my coins on?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Ross Perowned posted:

So is this 1000 coin llama bundle then one I should be saving up for and use my coins on?
No, upgrade llamas are garbage. Wait for a "super llama" with a guaranteed legendary.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah

ImpactVector posted:

No, upgrade llamas are garbage. Wait for a "super llama" with a guaranteed legendary.

Thanks, I almost spent my 2k!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Great Beer posted:

early access gaming lol

Hell yeah full price early access gaming :clint:

I really wanted this to be something I could jump into cause the concept sounded cool but drat, the more I read the more my gut says to run screaming. It's gonna suck to wait until 2018 only to probably find out I am gonna have to spend that much anyway, to get some necessary utility. At least that's usually how it goes.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Man, I spent a large portion of yesterday's progress getting my base just right with jump pads and traps and decorative roofs. Not looking forward to the next storm shield quest I have to do but I guess I can be thankful that my party ended last night clearing storm shield 3 for all of us instead of putting it off for today.

I really want to like this game and tell my other friends to pick it up, but unless you really have at least 1 dedicated partner to play with it kind of Sucks and is a demoralizing slog. If you can play solo and matching with pubbies, props to you. Also gently caress research point acquisition, 16 hours of real rear end life ticking away just to unlock 1 node.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I bought the pack, and ended up with two gold llamas out of the deal. And a few traps I was missing. I'm pretty happy about it. If you have plenty of scratch I would grab one.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I bought the pack, and ended up with two gold llamas out of the deal. And a few traps I was missing. I'm pretty happy about it. If you have plenty of scratch I would grab one.

Congratulations. For every you, 3 other people bought the pack and got a single gold llama. 6 people bought the bundle and didn't get any gold llamas.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The outlander loot vision is handy enough - but there's a little detail some folks might overlook.

Watch around your outlanders feet as you come into range of loot and you'll see a little flare/ring of the corresponding color.

Higher rez: https://gfycat.com/UnpleasantSoreFallowdeer

This shows uncommon/rare loot. The purple chest flare is even more noticeable - but the really handy thing about this is a visual indicator that you need to look around if you haven't spotted the item already.
Super convenient to just sprint down streets and watch for blue/purple flashes.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Also, everyone will be able to get a green Pathfinder Jess from the outlander quest now that it's unbugged. If you don't have another source of Keen Eyes I highly recommend taking her at least to 8 for chest farming.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Also, everyone will be able to get a green Pathfinder Jess from the outlander quest now that it's unbugged. If you don't have another source of Keen Eyes I highly recommend taking her at least to 8 for chest farming.

Getting Anti-material charge is really useful for chest farming, you can blow through walls really quickly. Just be careful not to also hit the floor or the chest.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Anti-material charge is an awesome skill and bringing a green hero from level 8 to 2* doesn't cost anything that you can't farm in a mission or two.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

So important information for anyone still playing this bad game. Damage % on weapons and traps is probably the worst roll possible because it's not an increase TO your base damage, it's an increase FROM your base damage. AKA 40% damage on your weapon is worth 40 offense points.

Elaborate, because I fail to see the difference between 40% and... 40%.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DarkDobe posted:

The outlander loot vision is handy enough - but there's a little detail some folks might overlook.

Do onyl some outlander get loot vision, or do you have to toggle it somehow? I have pretty much played only my outlander The dude that warps around and drops shock towers, and I haven't seen anything about loot vision.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

BadLlama posted:

Do onyl some outlander get loot vision, or do you have to toggle it somehow? I have pretty much played only my outlander The dude that warps around and drops shock towers, and I haven't seen anything about loot vision.

Not all of them get Keen Eyes and you have to look where in the upgrade path they DO get it.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

sushibandit posted:

Elaborate, because I fail to see the difference between 40% and... 40%.

It's the difference between a multiplier like stacking critical chance and critical hit damage, and addition. And what's more, you're adding a tiny insignificant amount of offense. Half way through squad slot unlocks and level 10 survivors puts you at 250ish offense. Mid game offense is going to break a thousand without even trying.

Fortnite way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 4% more final damage.
Industry convention way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 40% more final damage.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

Anti-material charge is an awesome skill and bringing a green hero from level 8 to 2* doesn't cost anything that you can't farm in a mission or two.
For sure. Though I'm honestly almost always too low on stamina to make good use of it. Breaking through walls is usually valuable stamina recharge time. :v:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

For sure. Though I'm honestly almost always too low on stamina to make good use of it. Breaking through walls is usually valuable stamina recharge time. :v:

It's also useful for blowing up some types of things, as you do get the loot from them.

Working on leveling up my Legendary Founder Jess, she gets a lot of teleport stuff, which I think lets you teleport through walls to get chests, but less destructively.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I bought the 10 pack and it just highlighted the problem with this game for me, I got 3 legendaries in the pack all survivors, now that's a good thing because survivors are your main stat gain. It's just insanely boring like "good loot" was me getting like 5-10% more offense stat raising my damage, that is not interesting in any way shape or form, at least they weren't defenders.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I've barely used defenders because having to babysit their ammo is annoying.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Skandranon posted:

It's also useful for blowing up some types of things, as you do get the loot from them.

Working on leveling up my Legendary Founder Jess, she gets a lot of teleport stuff, which I think lets you teleport through walls to get chests, but less destructively.

Unless she gets a unique passive that changes Phase Shift, she doesn't. Because despite using things called "teleport charges" to activate the skill, Phase Shift is just a dash. I was incredibly disappointed when I finally unlocked it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

PrinnySquadron posted:

I've barely used defenders because having to babysit their ammo is annoying.

I never use them because you can't bring them if the game has four people. Which is super obnoxious.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

I'm really regretting picking the outlanders for my Limited pack. A legendary Recon Scout doesn't really have much more utility than my blue Pathfinder for just finding stuff.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Defenders would be so much better if they just had infinite ammo for whatever weapon you give them. It's a little bit of a hassle to give them all guns but I think it's a nice way of customizing them and being able to make them strong by throwing your best guns at them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Great Beer posted:

I never use them because you can't bring them if the game has four people. Which is super obnoxious.

The one time I tried to use them on stormshield defense they were useless because the 20 seconds you get between waves is not fast enough to move their platform/redrop their weapons and ammo between sites, at the very least they should follow you.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

The one time I tried to use them on stormshield defense they were useless because the 20 seconds you get between waves is not fast enough to move their platform/redrop their weapons and ammo between sites, at the very least they should follow you.

If you have the platforms already built, you can move them pretty easily, but you have to have thought about it a bit ahead of time. Ammo part is annoying though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bakalakadaka posted:

Defenders would be so much better if they just had infinite ammo for whatever weapon you give them. It's a little bit of a hassle to give them all guns but I think it's a nice way of customizing them and being able to make them strong by throwing your best guns at them.

Using defenders in a normal mission is too cumbersome for me.
I wish they came with a gun based on their class with power decided by their rarity and unlimited ammo. They don't have to be as powerful as a person but I don't see myself ever using them regularly.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Using defenders in a normal mission is too cumbersome for me.
I wish they came with a gun based on their class with power decided by their rarity and unlimited ammo. They don't have to be as powerful as a person but I don't see myself ever using them regularly.

I've been wanting to try using the sniper one on stormsheild defense... but since you have to unlock the slot... it hasn't come up yet.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I'm tempted to get this, but the whole 'paying for F2P' bit concerns me. Will players get compensated for their extra payment once it leaves EA, or are they paying to beta test?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

LaserShark posted:

I'm tempted to get this, but the whole 'paying for F2P' bit concerns me. Will players get compensated for their extra payment once it leaves EA, or are they paying to beta test?

They reset one small part of the game in this last patch, but gave everyone back the materials they had spent. They say they will be resetting parts of the game if they need to for changes, but will be preserving players' progression.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'd kinda love a stonewood reset

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

BabelFish posted:

They reset one small part of the game in this last patch, but gave everyone back the materials they had spent. They say they will be resetting parts of the game if they need to for changes, but will be preserving players' progression.

Well, what I mean is, if I pay $40 now, what am I getting that someone that starts in December for free is not? Just a handful of llamas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

LaserShark posted:

Even the lowest key does get you some extra in game items, you get a 5 month head start (your progress will not be wiped), and while it's not been stated, we may get some more founder stuff later on? We all got a big loot pack for free when there was an unplanned outage last week.

• Locked thread