Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
#21 Most Loved - 13 points

Brandon McCarthy
Team: Seattle Mariners
Debut: May 3, 2005

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? A handsome, if underwhelming (he had a 4.95 ERA last year and has been on the DL for a significant amount of this year), pitcher with a great Twitter account and the same opinion on cupcakes as me.

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/840821661662289920

He recently made fun of MLB's decision to use Memorial Day as a way to advertise merchandise, which is another indication of how good his opinions generally are.

https://twitter.com/BMcCarthy32/status/869201444016148481

He also used Linkin Park's "Figure .09" as walkup music in honor of Chester Bennington when news broke of his suicide, which was a cool gesture. I didn't vote for him because he & the Dodgers absolutely clowned the Mets during Robert Gsellman's first start in front of his family and I'm still salty.

Current Rankings

quote:

21. Brandon McCarthy
22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm also a Colby Rasmus hair/beard advocate so take it with a grain of salt. But I like my baseball players to look like they were just called up from the corner bar rec league.

Gimme more greaseball players.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The best MLB players are the ones who look like fat cavemen.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

100% this, I'm upset by him being on this list

Also I removed Papelbon because I figured he wasn't eligible as he isn't playing. Guess I missed the Free Agent clause, consider him higher on this list
Same, Papelbon would have led the hate list again I suspect if we'd realized he's still eligible

Also Brandon McCarthy has been a Dodger for like three years now. I don't think he's ever played for Seattle

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 4, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
You left out the best Brandon McCarthy tweet:

https://twitter.com/bmccarthy32/status/595322220718723073

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bob James posted:

The best MLB players are the ones who look like fat cavemen.

You most love Bartolo. He looks like the missing link to the cro magnons.

Also Encarnacion's home run trot is not for an imaginary parrot, it's for an imaginary falcon. :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I am shocked I wasn't the only person who voted for Jaso simply because of his hair.

Long hair is fine, even if it's greasy, but those dreads are just an abomination bordering on gorgon-like.

e: also I'd definitely have voted for Papelbon if I'd thought/remembered he was eligible.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Also I removed Papelbon because I figured he wasn't eligible as he isn't playing. Guess I missed the Free Agent clause, consider him higher on this list

Yeah, I thought he and Kang wouldn't count. Utley and Coghlan wouldn't be on the list if I'd added them.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I never saw that before, and it's hilarious. I want to know what he meant by it, but I also kind of don't. Some things should remain mysterious.

Julio Cruz posted:

I am shocked I wasn't the only person who voted for Jaso simply because of his hair.

Long hair is fine, even if it's greasy, but those dreads are just an abomination bordering on gorgon-like

Long hair is great, but long white guy dreads are terrible.

quote:

e: also I'd definitely have voted for Papelbon if I'd thought/remembered he was eligible.

I decided to make free agents eligible because they're TECHNICALLY still active players...in their own special way.

Pancakes posted:

Yeah, I thought he and Kang wouldn't count.

Honestly I probably would have left them off if they hadn't been parts of ties. Spoiler alert: Jung-ho Kang also made it into the top #25.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never saw that before, and it's hilarious. I want to know what he meant by it, but I also kind of don't. Some things should remain mysterious.

Pretty sure he was high on post-surgery pain meds at the time.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Do penises float in the tub or something? This is something I never thought about but it's the only way I can make sense of his post.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

Do penises float in the tub or something? This is something I never thought about but it's the only way I can make sense of his post.

Yes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The water also distorts things below the surface.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Ya, I also took Papelbon off my vote. I'm just going to consider him an honorary #1. Sounds like he probably would have gotten it if we thought he was eligible.

Edit: actually, that might be an overstatement. But he would have gotten 10 points from me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Papelbon was the #1 hated last year so it's not a stretch to think he could maintain. Perhaps he'd have fallen a few spots by simply being out of sight out of mind this year

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

As a non-penis haver I can't even imagine how weird that would feel. I've never thought about penis-water dynamics in my life.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The water also distorts things below the surface.

Another good point.

#20 is going to be weird, I'm excited.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I hate buster Posey.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I didn't even know it was possible to form an opinion about him, honestly.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#20 Most Hated - 13 points

They're inseparable in real life, so why separate them in a post?

Bryzzo
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: April 17, 2015 (Bryant), June 9, 2011 (Rizzo)

#1 votes: 1 (for Bryant)
#2 votes: 1 (for Rizzo)

What's to hate? Just look at these loving assholes.

These pieces of poo poo had the AUDACITY to help free us from the tyranny of EYBS and play for an NL Central team other than the Pirates. How dare they.

If you're looking for actual reasons to dislike either of them, Anthony Rizzo slid hard into Padres catcher Austin Hedges, resulting in injury. MLB determined the slide was illegal, though Rizzo wasn't punished in any way. Also, Kris Bryant, uh...has forehead acne? I don't know.

Current Rankings

quote:

20. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo
21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
kiss the ring, bitches

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#20 Most Loved - 14 points

Kyle Hendricks
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: July 10, 2014

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? He looks like :smith: in human form 99% of the time, and it makes me want to give him a hug.

There's something charming about a mild-mannered low-velocity pitcher who is also among the best in the bigs. In 2016, Hendricks became the first Cub to lead MLB in ERA (2.13) since 1938 despite having a 91-mph fastball. This year hasn't gone quite as well for him, as he's currently on the DL, but when he's healthy he's still solid.

Buster Posey
Team: San Francisco Giants
Debut: September 11, 2009

#1 votes: 1

What's to love? A ridiculously good catcher who's going to look like he's 17 years old forever.

He's got three rings, five All-Star appearances, three Silver Sluggers and a Gold Glove, and he'd probably also have a couple of hugging awards if MLB gave those out.

Current Rankings

quote:

20. Kyle Hendricks, Buster Posey
21. Brandon McCarthy
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 5, 2017

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
After Willson's hot July I was going to make some post somewhere about he should be in contention for silver slugger, and then looked up stats and Posey's having an outrageously good season. Dude is consistent as heck and unreal behind the plate.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
It's ironically harder to make posts about players who are simply really really really really really good at baseball, because there are only so many different ways to say that someone's very good at baseball and their goodness in baseball tends to overshadow everything else about them.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Rizzo is a meathead and I can understand why people wouldn't like him, but Bryant is the shy, quiet boy who doesn't drink, doesn't get into trouble, and is basically the guy your mom wants you to bring home for dinner. I can't think of a reason to hate him other than "he's the best player on the team I hate the most."

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rizzo is a meathead and I can understand why people wouldn't like him, but Bryant is the shy, quiet boy who doesn't drink, doesn't get into trouble, and is basically the guy your mom wants you to bring home for dinner. I can't think of a reason to hate him other than "he's the best player on the team I hate the most."

My ears are burning. :wink:

I'm glad I posted my ballot so I can claim innocence here. Rizzo seems nicer than Bryant to me, but that's just me. Neither are among my favorites on the Cubs (Jay, Javy, Hendricks, Bean) but neither of them are among my hated either (Arrieta, Lackey). They seem like inoffensive nice guys who can hit whom I'd probably like if they didn't play for a divisional rival. Kind of like Todd Frazier when he was on the Reds

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

YeahTubaMike posted:

long white guy dreads are terrible.

This is so true.

Also +1 to "didn't vote for Papelbon because I figured he didn't count" so yeah. He'd be way higher.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Buster is the only unobjectionable thing about the Giants

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Pancakes posted:

My ears are burning. :wink:

I'm glad I posted my ballot so I can claim innocence here. Rizzo seems nicer than Bryant to me, but that's just me. Neither are among my favorites on the Cubs (Jay, Javy, Hendricks, Bean) but neither of them are among my hated either (Arrieta, Lackey). They seem like inoffensive nice guys who can hit whom I'd probably like if they didn't play for a divisional rival. Kind of like Todd Frazier when he was on the Reds

I wouldn't be as embarrassed to like Yadi if he didn't play for the Cardinals.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rizzo is a meathead and I can understand why people wouldn't like him, but Bryant is the shy, quiet boy who doesn't drink, doesn't get into trouble, and is basically the guy your mom wants you to bring home for dinner.

They both seem like entirely regular, boring dudes who happen to be moderately adorable, especially when interacting with each other.

bawfuls posted:

Buster George Kontos is the only unobjectionable thing about the Giants

Fixed. :colbert:

...actually while I was making this post, George Kontos apparently got traded to the Pirates. Okay then.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kontos is also fine since he gave up that dinger to Kershaw

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Two gorgeous hotheads that I have no personal issues with occupy the #19 spot, of course.

#19 Most Hated - 14 points

Sean Rodriguez
Team: Atlanta Braves Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: April 19, 2008

#1 votes: 1

What's to hate? Rodriguez is perceived as a whiny baby, especially by Cubs fans, ESPECIALLY after the Gatorade cooler incident. He made a public apology to the Gatorade cooler he pummeled, and the cooler forgave him, so I'm not sure what SAS is still upset about.

https://twitter.com/SeanJRodriguez1/status/652206887182692352

Chris Sale
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut: August 6, 2010

What's to hate? Chris Sale is a very, very strange man in a way that (I think) not a whole lot of people outside of Chicago/the AL Central knew for a long while. At least for me, Sale popped onto my radar during the Drake LaRoche saga.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/710854066687991808

For those who are unaware, it was decided in 2016 by the White Sox front office that then-14-year old Drake LaRoche's time in the clubhouse should be limited, at which point Adam LaRoche chose to retire to spend more time with his son. Sale was LaRoche's biggest defender, which is weird because Drake LaRoche has a dad and he's not Chris Sale.

quote:

There was no problem in here. We were rolling. We had a team coming together and new guys getting acquainted and playing well, no hiccups, nothing...we’re a steam engine going full steam ahead and [Kenny Williams]…derailed it.

Later that year, he expressed concern about wearing an untucked '76 throwback jersey during his upcoming start, because he thought his pitching would be thrown off. When the '76 jerseys were used anyway, he did what any sane person would do -- he cut up everyone's uniforms with a knife so that they could not be used.

quote:

If the players don't feel comfortable 100 percent about what we are doing to win the game, and we have an easy fix -- it was as easy as hanging up another jersey and everyone was fine. For them to put business first over winning, that's when I lost it.

tl;dr: Chris Sale is kind of insane and whiny, and this makes it much harder to like him, despite how unbelievably good he is at pitching.

Current Rankings

quote:

19. Sean Rodriguez, Chris Sale
20. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo
21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#19 Most Loved - 15 points

Roberto Osuna
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 8, 2015

#3 votes: 1

What's to love? Roberto Osuna is a wonder on the mound. He became the youngest pitcher in Jays history to get a win at 20 years & 100 days old and, earlier this year, the youngest pitcher to reach 75 saves.

His strength in coming clean about experiencing anxiety has definitely endeared him to fans as well. In June, he copped to feeling "weird" and "lost" outside of the game, and the Jays organization reacted (thankfully) with empathy.

Yoenis Céspedes
Team: New York Mets
Debut: March 28, 2012

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? When Yo is on, he's on. He had a rocky start to 2017, as his dehydrated hamstrings kept tearing like tissue paper, but he's on track now.

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/893488994494894080

He spent way way way too long walking up to Circle Of Life from the Lion King soundtrack, which I personally despised but reveals a certain level of swagger that does not go unappreciated.

edit: Dutchy also found one of Yoenis Céspedes's classic plays for me, so I thank them for their service.

Current Rankings

quote:

19. Roberto Osuna, Yoenis Céspedes
20. Kyle Hendricks, Buster Posey
21. Brandon McCarthy

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 7, 2017

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bad timing on the Osuna post since he just blew a save ten minutes ago, but he is great and I definitely was that #3 vote.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Bad timing on the Osuna post since he just blew a save ten minutes ago, but he is great and I definitely was that #3 vote.

He should not have been put in today. I LOVE YOU ROBERTO OSUNA.

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

shadok posted:

He should not have been put in today. I LOVE YOU ROBERTO OSUNA.

Why shouldn't he have pitched today? Thursday was an off-day, and he didn't pitch Friday.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
And Sean Rodriguez hit a walk-off homer, so the whole world's upside down today.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sean rodriguez's brutal assault on the gatorade is the best because he didn't just knock it over or rage-bludgeon like gatorade destruction artist carlos zambrano, he actually loving boxed it, he put in some combinations, he gave those gatorade jugs the sweet science.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

John Wilkes Booth posted:

And Sean Rodriguez hit a walk-off homer, so the whole world's upside down today.

I thought Sean Rodriguez was awesome when he made the hated list last year, and I still think he's awesome. :colbert:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
How often does a guy get ejected without even making a single plate appearance? The fight happened in the 7th inning, but Rodriguez was pulled for a pinch hitter in the 3rd, before ever stepping foot in the batter's box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

sean rodriguez's brutal assault on the gatorade is the best because he didn't just knock it over or rage-bludgeon like gatorade destruction artist carlos zambrano, he actually loving boxed it, he put in some combinations, he gave those gatorade jugs the sweet science.

My greatest SAS post.

• Locked thread