Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i saw honma is on guest commentary, i'm guessing he's the guy who sounds like a hungover dying guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jerusalem posted:

If Omega beats Okada, then that means their record would be 1-1-1 which would be a great selling point for a Wrestle Kingdom title match tie-breaker. But at the same time, I do think it would be good to change things up a little and Naito winning and facing either Okada or Omega at WK would be great too.

It's a good problem to have!

It's why I really didn't like the idea of Okada/Omega 3 coming in the G1 and so soon after their broadway, because none of the three outcomes really help if you're trying to keep both men strong and get to Okada/Naito at Wrassle Kingdome.

Okada wins, he's 2-0-1 against Kenny this calendar year and beating him in a 30m time limit match basically kills off the feud. You can rehab Kenny for later but it's a lot of work to redo something you've just done.

A 30m tie wouldn't be bad except it'll come off as a wet fart after they just ran a 60m tie. It means Okada's now 1-0-2 and really nothing has changed and it renders the whole thing kinda pointless.

Omega wins, it's now 1-1-1 but either you've got to now run Okada/Omega a 4th time in less than a year, and if you want Kenny to win the belt but still run Okada/Naito for the belt at the Dome you'll need a 5th match and more belt hot-shotting. You could kinda get around this by Kenny saying that he's busy with the US belt and he'll get his main title runback once he's done defending that, but then you're telegraphing Kenny holding the US belt for the rest of the year and into 2018. Still it's probably the best option and I still think Kenny winning in like <5 minutes with the OWA to really cement it as a death move would be hilarious and really gutsy.

The counter to all this is the assumption that Okada/Naito at the Dome isn't the plan, but Naito needs a payoff of an extended title run to cement his top-guy status and why take the IC belt off him if a main belt run isn't in the cards. Plus Okada's basically held the belt for the past two years minus a quick hotshot to Naito, he needs to take a step back for a while and go into chase mode.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I think the idea of Kenny beating Okada in G1, Naito beating Kenny in the finals, and Naito beating Okada at the dome works so well precisely because it's a very poetic way for Okada's arc as champion and undisputed ace to come to an end for now. All this year he's been defined as someone who has so much passion and fire that he gives 110% every time he comes out even if it's wearing his body down and exhausting him in the long term, and the wars that he's had with Omega are the clearest representation of that. For Okada to fall to the guy whose philosophy is all about relaxing, not rushing it, and spitting on self-destructive cultural expectations, right when it seems like the Tryhard Wars between he and Kenny are coming to their glorious climax... that would be perfect!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Plus I think for Okada/Omega 4 you really want Kenny coming in as IWGP champ to give the mTlatch a different feel. Naito getting a 4-6 month reign and than Kenny winning it makes perfect sense. Plus Naito/Kenny would be a great match to run in a bigger US building while saving Okada/Omega 4 for the dome

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
phew, yoshi-hashi and goto?

really gonna test my patience with this one, g1

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Plus I think for Okada/Omega 4 you really want Kenny coming in as IWGP champ to give the mTlatch a different feel. Naito getting a 4-6 month reign and than Kenny winning it makes perfect sense. Plus Naito/Kenny would be a great match to run in a bigger US building while saving Okada/Omega 4 for the dome

this is what i would do and they seem to like doing that april title change to freshen things up for the new year. omega over okada in the g1, naito over omega, naito over okada at the dome, kenny over naito at SAKURA GENESIS and then you have a fresh angle for the second okada/omega series

cams
Mar 28, 2003

shiksa posted:

i saw honma is on guest commentary, i'm guessing he's the guy who sounds like a hungover dying guy
i found his voice disgusting and nearly unlistenable. this was a new experience for me and i did not like it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I'd rather listen to Matt Striker than Honma ever again.

Also Fale/Ishii was probably match of the night for me. Amazing storytelling.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Honma sounds like a pickup truck full of gravel tumbling into a rock quarry. I think there's been video before of the other NJPW guys making fun of how hard it is to understand him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what's tonight's card

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012
(1) Katsuya Kitamura vs. Chase Owens
(2) Yuji Nagata, Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Taichi & El Desperado
(3) Togi Makabe, Tiger Mask IV & Hirai Kawato vs. Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
(4) Hirooki Goto & Jado vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi & David Finlay vs. Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo

(6) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Toru Yano vs. Tama Tonga
(7) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Satoshi Kojima vs. SANADA
(8) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Michael Elgin vs. Minoru Suzuki
(9) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega
(10) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

I'm looking forward to Elgin vs Suzuki.

Giant Murderbaby fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 5, 2017

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

evil shouldn't be wrestling

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

oatgan posted:

evil shouldn't be wrestling

As in he probably won't be wrestling or that they shouldn't let him?

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

EVIL is going to beat Okada and I'm glad of it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kojima is going to get his one win off of my son and i'm pissed off

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm looking forward to seeing how Tama Tonga reacts to Yano's antics. I have a feeling he's not gonna be having any of it :allears:

Jenny Angel posted:

For Okada to fall to the guy whose philosophy is all about relaxing, not rushing it, and spitting on self-destructive cultural expectations, right when it seems like the Tryhard Wars between he and Kenny are coming to their glorious climax... that would be perfect!

gently caress yeah okay that's what I want to happen now.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I just want Tama to come up with new, innovative strings of curse words with every roll up that Yano catches him in

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Giant Murderbaby posted:

As in he probably won't be wrestling or that they shouldn't let him?

they shouldn't let him

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for this. I can't do my spreadsheet since my computer's hosed. Just want to add that it's in Osaka so the crowd should be hot and that it starts a half hour earlier than most shows at 5:00 EDT/10:00 BST

Giant Murderbaby posted:

(1) Katsuya Kitamura vs. Chase Owens
(2) Yuji Nagata, Tomoyuki Oka & Shota Umino vs. Zack Sabre Jr., Taichi & El Desperado
(3) Togi Makabe, Tiger Mask IV & Hirai Kawato vs. Tetsuya Naito, BUSHI & Hiromu Takahashi
(4) Hirooki Goto & Jado vs. Bad Luck Fale & Yujiro Takahashi
(5) Hiroshi Tanahashi, Kota Ibushi & David Finlay vs. Tomohiro Ishii, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo

(6) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Toru Yano vs. Tama Tonga
(7) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Satoshi Kojima vs. SANADA
(8) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Michael Elgin vs. Minoru Suzuki
(9) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Juice Robinson vs. Kenny Omega
(10) G1 B BLOCK MATCH: Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

I'm looking forward to Elgin vs Suzuki.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

oatgan posted:

they shouldn't let him

I agree. The fact that he showed up for the six man in the last show is making me think he will be in the match tonight.

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

cams posted:

i found his voice disgusting and nearly unlistenable. this was a new experience for me and i did not like it.

if you imagine it's Jabba the Hut from the Star Wars films his commentary becomes really enjoyable.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

This card looks aces.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Chase Owens blew off a tour through western canada for this match and this match alone

E: oh right he's been in like all the multiman matches whoops

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It's Saturday which is probably why the show is starting earlier.

Also,

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/892934622727725056

If you have Arena A or B seats at Sumo Hall for next Sunday's G1 Finals, you'll get one of the above NJPW pillows. As always in Sumo Hall, those aren't really seats - instead, they're four-seat tatatami style boxes, so sitting on a pillow is a requirement.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if any of you folks want to whoop the rear end Of someone like me while youre waiting around for some of this "king's road Devonshire style puroresu" then you know which direction to holler in. you know in which direction to holler.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Catching up on the G1 holy poo poo EVIL was out, red shoes should have just counted that pin when his arm was under the rope

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Catching up on the G1 holy poo poo EVIL was out, red shoes should have just counted that pin when his arm was under the rope

yeah knowing that he was for real hurt bad, him shambling around before kenny picked him up for the owa was truly scary.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

poo poo, the show's actually a 4:00 EDT/9:00 BST instead of 5. My apologies

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man Chase Owens is so hosed.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I cannot wait for Kitamura to do his excursion. Either he'll go to America and hoss it with Cage and Cobb, or he'll go to Mexico and do all the steroids.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yano is so good

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TORU

loving

YANO

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

algebra testes posted:

Yano is so good

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best part of that is how the crowd didn't believe it until a second after the pin!!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lol what the gently caress happened there?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love that there is a "Quinton Jackson Armbar Spot", like that it's an actually wrestling spot now.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Big Mike is extremely cool

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
JUICE

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
JUIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE

Adbot