Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

angryrobots posted:

Yeah that's the kicker, time-sensitive communication can be a problem for me. I guess I'll see what you have coming off the boat, but you've posted a few examples I'd be interested in. (Kei car, turbo, rwd preferred or awd, minty, gotta be manual).

So about the trailer that barely fit your narrow kei vans...I'm guessing it had fold down ramps that either weren't adjustable or didn't have enough adjustment?

I mean that the distance between the left and right side wheels on a kei vehicles is juuussst wide enough to fit on a typical car carrier trailer. If it's a completely flat or generously wide tracked one then yeah it's fine. My Acty came on a typical commercial car carrier and was just in front of the wheels. Like this one:

To get it off I had to work with the driver (I was driving the van) to get the van reversed over that wheel hump but the grip on the stainless steel panels that the tires ride on were 'punches' but didn't go all the way to the edge of the track. That meant that I had to gun it up, in reverse, in a kei-sized car that I've never driven before that was RHD that was also new to me, while trying not to fall into the center valley on either side. If I didn't have speed one tire would start spinning on the smooth steel. The fold down ramps to get it actually off the trailer were fine and totally adjustable. With the Hijet it was better since it was a much smaller trailer without the wheel hump but still a PITA. So stressful that my wife and I are probably going to just go pick up the cars from Jacksonville ourselves on a completely flat single car trailer.

Eat This Glob posted:

Awesome job, op! I don't think you touched on it, and I could probably do the math, but do you have any idea what I could save after going through a broker and shipping it to the US vs buying it from a place like Japanese Classics? There's easily a half dozen kei cars I'd consider buying, the Jimny and Mighty Boy chief among them. If I were patient and willing to jump through the hoops, is that the way to go? Obviously there is money to be made handling the importation and selling them, or you wouldn't be in this venture, but do you have a rough guess on what the mark up would be percentage wise to just skip the hassle and buy from someone like you?

I did a bit yeah in regards to what I suspect Japanese Classics paid for my Acty vs. how much I paid them. I'd hazard a guess and say around the 50% mark for most things, but some stuff is unique enough to step outside of whatever costs you can expect. Something like a Mighty Boy has gone into this quasi-classic status and is unique enough to not have a set price depending on what shape you get one in and who wants it. Different amounts of money mean different things to other people especially if it means they can drive something so unique. 'Normal' desirable cars are much more stable like Cappuccinos and Beats.
The other thing that did bother me about Japanese Classics was that they didn't test the A/C system (it was in working order, just needed a charge), the tires were not actually road safe imho (dry and cracked) while also being a bit out of balance. The front rotors were out of round and the front pads and rear shoes could have used replacement. Maybe I'm a bit more of a sperg when it comes to that but I'd assume if someone is buying something from me that they wouldn't want to have to so after-purchase repairs, you know?

CharlesM posted:

Motorex didn't use any loopholes to sell the cars, they did what you actually have to do to sell a car in the U.S.: have it crash & emission tested and have it meet all applicable standards. Crash testing involves destroying three cars (maybe more now that they test roof crush strength?), emission testing I don't know much about but I'm going to guess this costs a lot of money to hire the crash test facilities, etc., not to mention the 3+ cars you have to destroy. Motorex had to at least beef up the door & install 3 catalytic converters. I guess Motorex then faked the things they needed to do later on and the cars were seized, though not crushed, mercifully.

So yeah, you can get around the 25 year rule, you just have to basically do what a manufacturer does. The other way is if you're importing a model that is similar and already exists in the U.S., and the manufacturer certifies it will perform the same in crash testing as the equivalent U.S. model, etc, once you modify it to U.S. spec (bumpers, instrument cluster, etc).

You can read a bit about it and see the list of vehicles that people have gone through the process with here:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig010807.pdf

My question is why did somebody do this with a Chevrolet Cavalier?
I meant it in the sense that it's one of the very few ways to drive around a model that isn't legal to import yet under the 25 year rule. Besides I didn't say Motorex used loopholes :colbert:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

The other thing that did bother me about Japanese Classics was that they didn't test the A/C system (it was in working order, just needed a charge), the tires were not actually road safe imho (dry and cracked) while also being a bit out of balance. The front rotors were out of round and the front pads and rear shoes could have used replacement. Maybe I'm a bit more of a sperg when it comes to that but I'd assume if someone is buying something from me that they wouldn't want to have to so after-purchase repairs, you know?

This seems completely unacceptable to me? I would be very upset if I was paying them for inspection and they don't test AC and the tires are rotted

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I talked to a classic broker the other day and he said they quit doing that because you basically get blamed for everything so a lot of places have a policy of only topping up fluids and stopping leaks now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KakerMix posted:

I meant it in the sense that it's one of the very few ways to drive around a model that isn't legal to import yet under the 25 year rule. Besides I didn't say Motorex used loopholes :colbert:

I misread the sentence in the OP as saying Motorex used the loopholes, sorry.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

This seems completely unacceptable to me? I would be very upset if I was paying them for inspection and they don't test AC and the tires are rotted

That's the thing though, you aren't paying them for inspection you are paying them for the convenience of having a wholly-unique, legal and titled vehicle that you can buy and drive away in. It had to pass basic inspections to make it to the US anyway (runs, doesn't leak terribly, stops well enough) so I can see the logic. I guess I'm less mad about it too because when you buy and drive something like this you will be doing a majority of the work yourself. I did take my Acty to the Honda dealer in town to get the A/C recharged though, price was the same as anywhere and it was neat to see the whole dealership crowd around it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I used to import stuff from Japan if someone said the car was in good condition, just serviced etc... they were almost always lying. Best was ATF in the front diff on an R32 GTR.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

All the time. Be aware that everyone knows what they go for now so they won't be much cheaper, if at all. Right now there are three up for auction, only one worth a drat because it has a manual transmission.

Downsides are it has some obvious repairs, it's been lowered, AC doesn't work (seemingly quite common in auctioned cars), radiator support is bent and it has cigarette burns on the interior. Kinda gaudy aftermarket wheels too but that can be fixed easy enough I suppose. Auction starts at $30,500 USD. If you can get one from a dealer lot the prices seem to start at around $42k for a 1991 w/ manual transmission and 47k miles and being heavily 'messed with'.
Or $67000 for this gorgeous untouched beauty with 16.5k miles.

This is true, I'll add this to the op.

Yeah you might fit in a Beat ok, Clarkson fit in one just fine and with the way it's designed you have quite a bit of room. As for the vans I'm 5'9" and have the seat all the way back.

Truthfully I'm not quite ready yet unless someone happened to be interested in the vehicles I'm already (selfishly) importing. If doing the importation thing is something that someone definitely doesn't want to do then I'll certainly lend my services to goons later. However it truly isn't that bad assuming you have the time to delicate to it.

Putting your name in the OP bub.

I actually think the wheels work with the Silver. And it makes sense, I supposed they aren't cheaper than a North American one.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i will own an az-1 to compliment my pair of mr2s once i've established myself in my chosen profession

i will autocross it because i am out of my mind

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

financially racist posted:

i will own an az-1 to compliment my pair of mr2s once i've established myself in my chosen profession

i will autocross it because i am out of my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wNCcI48j0

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I'm a massive idiot and considering attempting to export an AE86 from Japan.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

gimpsuitjones posted:

If you go the online auction route, or deal with more of a middle man, be careful with who you use.

There are more than a few companies out their scamming others.

I seem to remember there was a certain company that shows up one of the first hits on google search.

I asked a local PNW importer guy and he said he had issues with vehicles received from them as well as what they claimed they did have (Filling orders for stuff they supposedly had but did not, so they shipped something.. similar)

Also keep in mind you still have to pay shipping (2-3k) and taxes (can't remember what it is for other vehicles but I know light duty trucks for the U.S. are 25% due to the chicken tax.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

They sold AE86s here, and there a ton of them everywhere. The inconvenience of RHD isn't worth the "specialness"

If you're importing, import something rad like this, or this, or this

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Powershift posted:

They sold AE86s here, and there a ton of them everywhere. The inconvenience of RHD isn't worth the "specialness"

If you're importing, import something rad like this, or this, or this

I don't live in the US.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well where would you export it to where they never sold em?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's not that they never sold 'em, it's just that there's none left that aren't hosed or 25 grand

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

Well, I'll be importing one to the UK at some point, it's inevitable.

We never got the Trueno with pop up lights, our Corolla GT was the Levin style front. Plus they're all totally hosed now.

Saying that, so are most of the ones I see coming up in Japan or being imported by others, so I'm goign to have to save up a bit to get a clean, largely standard car.

CharlesM posted:

Motorex didn't use any loopholes to sell the cars, they did what you actually have to do to sell a car in the U.S.: have it crash & emission tested and have it meet all applicable standards. Crash testing involves destroying three cars (maybe more now that they test roof crush strength?), emission testing I don't know much about but I'm going to guess this costs a lot of money to hire the crash test facilities, etc., not to mention the 3+ cars you have to destroy. Motorex had to at least beef up the door & install 3 catalytic converters. I guess Motorex then faked the things they needed to do later on and the cars were seized, though not crushed, mercifully.
I think they were using the paperwork for earlier models to import later ones? So fudging R32 approval to say it counted for R33s?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DogonCrook posted:

What is their classic race car market like? Has that shot up like in the US?
Also curious about this. I know the higher end stuff is a worldwide market but what about the <50k range of retired race cars?

Of all the stuff available for import I'm strangely most interested in their light duty trucks and what they use for hauling cars over there. Seeing lots of Mazda Titan, Nissan Atlas and Toyota Toyace for mid-size diesel utility trucks but it's probably not worth the cost of importing one. Would love to bring over (from Canada?) a VW T4 car transporter.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

I think they were using the paperwork for earlier models to import later ones? So fudging R32 approval to say it counted for R33s?

They used an R33 for testing and said it represented all 1990-1999 models. 96-98 R33 GTS & GTRs are still eligible for import as testing was done on a 96 model and those have airbags standard on both sides.

edit: GTS>Rs this must be an HTML code or something

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

They used an R33 for testing and said it represented all 1990-1999 models. 96-98 R33 GTS & GTRs are still eligible for import as testing was done on a 96 model and those have airbags standard on both sides.
Ah, yes. I knew it was something like that. Makes more sense that way round.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 5, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wonder if it'd be cheaper to import an FD since there are probably a lot more of them floating around in Japan

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Does anyone know anything about the Mitsubishi "jeeps"?

Would it be worth importing one instead of getting a Wrangler or are they garbage?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Would it be worth importing one instead of getting a Wrangler or are they garbage?

It's a CJ-3A with a forklift engine. I wouldn't cross-shop with Wranglers so much as I'd look at them as a cheaper and less painful alternative to restoring or jeep-rodding an old WWII survivor.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nodoze posted:

I wonder if it'd be cheaper to import an FD since there are probably a lot more of them floating around in Japan

I've worked on over a dozen imported FD's and every single FD that was purchased cheaper than a LHD could be had for locally has been rough (usually a laquer respray) and has needed a rebuild immiediately.

Once properly molested LHDs eclipse the $25k mark (they're getting close), then it might be worth it if you're going in knowing you're tearing that engine out right away.

The sweet spot at the moment is to pick up a project RHD from Canada that someone (everyone) has gotten in over their head on. Those are $8k CDN all day long.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ#Mitsubishi_Jeep

Looks like they are body-wise based off the old flat-fender Jeeps which explains why they look 'off' to my not-Jeep-knowing eyes. I think they are pretty neat, plus you can get a diesel which is all the rage, right?

The lead I had for an 89 Alto Works RS/X is missing the weirdest thing: All of it's wipers. It has the posts for them but simply lacks all the wiper assemblies themselves. Is that a race car thing or something? It makes no sense!

KakerMix posted:

Downsides are it has some obvious repairs, it's been lowered, AC doesn't work (seemingly quite common in auctioned cars), radiator support is bent and it has cigarette burns on the interior. Kinda gaudy aftermarket wheels too but that can be fixed easy enough I suppose. Auction starts at $30,500 USD. If you can get one from a dealer lot the prices seem to start at around $42k for a 1991 w/ manual transmission and 47k miles and being heavily 'messed with'.

The bidding has ended on this one, went up to $34,180 and didn't sell.

KakerMix posted:

1976 Toyota Hilux

and this one sold for $3,720

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 5, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

I've worked on over a dozen imported FD's and every single FD that was purchased cheaper than a LHD could be had for locally has been rough (usually a laquer respray) and has needed a rebuild immiediately.

Once properly molested LHDs eclipse the $25k mark (they're getting close), then it might be worth it if you're going in knowing you're tearing that engine out right away.

The sweet spot at the moment is to pick up a project RHD from Canada that someone (everyone) has gotten in over their head on. Those are $8k CDN all day long.

canada would mean rust though?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Mazdas don't instantly rust after 2 or 3 summers (cause who's gonna blitz snowbanks in an FD?) up here after arriving from japan, and being down most of that time for engine rebuild. Mazda3s and last-gen Proteges might, but :v:.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Nodoze posted:

I've seen more rusty FD's from Japan than I have LHD ones.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Looks like they are body-wise based off the old flat-fender Jeeps which explains why they look 'off' to my not-Jeep-knowing eyes. I think they are pretty neat, plus you can get a diesel which is all the rage, right?

Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Type_73_Light_Truck

I actually like the later version better, have you seen one of these yet? Apparently it's based on a Pajero which I have no idea if that's a good thing or not.

The first gens look really cool too tho.

An alternative to the crazy pricing of Wranglers here would be nice, but I dunno if I'd end up spending more on one of these in the long run anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That second gen Suzuki Alto Works is calling my name a lot harder than the Autozam.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Type_73_Light_Truck

I actually like the later version better, have you seen one of these yet? Apparently it's based on a Pajero which I have no idea if that's a good thing or not.

The first gens look really cool too tho.

An alternative to the crazy pricing of Wranglers here would be nice, but I dunno if I'd end up spending more on one of these in the long run anyway.

Those new ones weren't made until 1996 so are not legal to import under the 25 year rule. As for being based on the Pajero that should be a good thing, Pajero is really well-respected in Japan from what I can see, similarly to the likes of the Land Cruiser. I'd probably just get a Pajero instead rather than a sorta-Jeep version of one given the chance.

Having an older Mitsubishi Jeep would be cool as hell though, imagine all the times you'd have to explain that no, it isn't a kit car and yes, it really does say Mitsubishi on the front and Jeep on the back.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That second gen Suzuki Alto Works is calling my name a lot harder than the Autozam.

sell the nc and get a cappuccino

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I was reading that wiki and apparently dodge got a license to make the pajaro and called it the raider. That would also be a cool version to own and kinda rare. The pajaro and raider have way better engine options. Thats a pretty potent 4cyl from that era but it looks like it was the base option engine or close to it.

E:pic of the raider. If ive ever seen one i didnt recognize what it was.

http://i.imgur.com/RQG6Pz9.jpg

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 5, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KakerMix posted:

Those new ones weren't made until 1996 so are not legal to import under the 25 year rule. As for being based on the Pajero that should be a good thing, Pajero is really well-respected in Japan from what I can see, similarly to the likes of the Land Cruiser. I'd probably just get a Pajero instead rather than a sorta-Jeep version of one given the chance.

Having an older Mitsubishi Jeep would be cool as hell though, imagine all the times you'd have to explain that no, it isn't a kit car and yes, it really does say Mitsubishi on the front and Jeep on the back.

Mitsubishi Jeeps became a thing due to the Korean war. The Japanese auto industry was struggling during the post-WWII occupation, and Korea ended up being a godsend to them. Mitsubishi had an in with Willys and managed to win the contract to supply the UN forces during the war. Once the war was over, Mitsubishi continued making them for the general public.

Toyota designed the Land Cruiser as their candidate, and even though it didn't win they produced them anyway for public consumption since they thought it was the superior vehicle.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Nodoze posted:

This is a good point, in Japan they don't use salt on the roads so if you bring something over you will need to get it undercoated if you plan to use it in the winter or live near the sea.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Deteriorata posted:

Toyota designed the Land Cruiser as their candidate, and even though it didn't win they produced them anyway for public consumption since they thought it was the superior vehicle.
Toyota eventually had the Land Cruiser being used as the official U.N. vehicle though, no?
Speaking of Land Cruisers the Jaguar dealership had an LX470 that had just been traded in that looked nice enough, also just had it's timing belt done. They didn't even have it cleaned up or detailed yet when I got there today. Turns out they had already sold it :v:. J80s are already well on their way to $$$ status and it feels like the J100s are starting to swing back around to gaining value rather than losing it. Maybe I should be looking at Lexus GXs too, still technically a Land Cruiser Prado and the towing capacity is there along with a beefy trailer hitch. Lots of them around too but gosh they are ugly.

DogonCrook posted:

I was reading that wiki and apparently dodge got a license to make the pajaro and called it the raider. That would also be a cool version to own and kinda rare. The pajaro and raider have way better engine options. Thats a pretty potent 4cyl from that era but it looks like it was the base option engine or close to it.

E:pic of the raider. If ive ever seen one i didnt recognize what it was.

http://i.imgur.com/RQG6Pz9.jpg

There was also the Dodge Ram 50, Colt, Conquest, and the hilarious Challenger. All Mitsubishi.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

sell the nc and get a cappuccino

Yech. Those are uggo. Kaker I would be very interested to see pricing on the Suzuki Alto Works. I have the go ahead for the car purchase in April, maybe this is what I need to scratch the itch?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

You know in your heart you truly desire a March Super Turbo

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

KakerMix posted:

Toyota eventually had the Land Cruiser being used as the official U.N. vehicle though, no?
Speaking of Land Cruisers the Jaguar dealership had an LX470 that had just been traded in that looked nice enough, also just had it's timing belt done. They didn't even have it cleaned up or detailed yet when I got there today. Turns out they had already sold it :v:. J80s are already well on their way to $$$ status and it feels like the J100s are starting to swing back around to gaining value rather than losing it. Maybe I should be looking at Lexus GXs too, still technically a Land Cruiser Prado and the towing capacity is there along with a beefy trailer hitch. Lots of them around too but gosh they are ugly.

There was also the Dodge Ram 50, Colt, Conquest, and the hilarious Challenger. All Mitsubishi.

Yeah that reminds me i have always wanted a widebody starion

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Starion

E:holy poo poo not only are these rare now they are going for 15k

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigPaddy posted:

You know in your heart you truly desire a March Super Turbo

Oh my goodness

also holy heck the Chantez