Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think at least some of the episodes of Round the Twist may have been based of the books of Paul Jennings - at least the Gross-people-out-with-raisins-on-a-Flyswatter episode was one of the tricks that the character in those books went through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I think at least some of the episodes of Round the Twist may have been based of the books of Paul Jennings - at least the Gross-people-out-with-raisins-on-a-Flyswatter episode was one of the tricks that the character in those books went through
The first two seasons were actually written by him. He left after the second season, rights and all so they had to come up with their own stories.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Rugrats and Rocket Power were god-awful and I didn't like them even when I was the target age. However, I won't hear a word against the first few seasons of Spongebob

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

Same, but Rocket Power.

Boy, I don't know if I could even pick out a specific episode that didn't age well, the whole thing is so tied up the lat 90s/early 00s "extreme sports" craze. Live by the aesthetic die by the aesthetic, I guess.

EDIT: A not insignificant portion of the online backlash to Doug can be attributed to one particular e-celeb with a childhood grudge about it being used to make fun of him for also being named Doug, because it's a real dumb world we live in.

Sit on my Jace has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Aug 5, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the characterisation of Peter Prickly and Muriel Finster - Prickly was just like TJ when he was a kid, but eventually life caught up with him and he had to start taking himself more seriously, until he took it too far and became an rear end in a top hat, until he noticed what he'd became and dialled it back a bit.

Muriel just got old and never really noticed until everything just gave out. Then bitterness set in, possibly as she saw her best friend get married and have a family and generally have a more fun life, while she ended up alone with nothing but her own regrets. Then her time babysitting Spinelli and as a result rekindling her old friendship with her mother let her see that it wasn't too late to still enjoy herself, although she still keeps up appearances at the school by remaining as grouchy as ever to retain the control that she has over the playground.

I also liked the "twist" that Menlo and TJ used to be super close as kids, but then just grew into very different people - but TJ still goes over to Menlo's for his birthday as he still likes him on some level :3:

Recess will always get a pass from me because the School's Out film had James Woods hamming it up as a bond villain.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also the Mrs Grotke(? The hippie teacher) going full ninja during the climax.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

Recess will always get a pass from me because the School's Out film had James Woods hamming it up as a bond villain.

Also has that bit where Miss Finster smashes through a skylight on the end of a rope like a commando then yells, "Hey! Teacher! Leave those kids alone!"

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Marmaduke! posted:

My wife watches and rewatches all of the new Doctor Who stuff regularly (why no, she doesn't have a job, how did you know?), I'll have to ask her how the episode where the doctor is on Big Brother​, and another character is on The Weakest Link, seems these days.

To me it seems so weird that it makes me think I might've imagined it.

I finished season 1 of Doctor Who, and I can confirm the Big Brother and Weakest Link references don't hold up particularly well. They don't derail the show, but come across as tepid satire in a not-great episode. I like the sci-fi and horror episodes (Father's Day and Empty Child were excellent), but the British culture plots are tedious. Aliens disguised as fat people, and they fart a lot? Somehow that was a two parter?

I'm still not decided on the series as a whole. We are three episodes into season 2, and I hope David Tennant gets a lot better fast. Christopher Eccleston was great but Tennant seems underprepared, though I liked him on Jessica Jones.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Doug and Totally Spies are both terrible cartoons that are worth watching for their amazing soundtracks.

I generally find that South Park episodes I agree with have aged well, whereas ones I disagree with have not. Funny, that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think my favourite Recess episodes were:

the one where the government outlaws Recess due to lobbyists or some poo poo, then the adults all realise that suddenly the kids are having trouble concentrating, formerly bright pupils are starting to fall behind - they're all burning out severely without any time to decompress. Then the government come up with a solution that hilariously reinvents the wheel - give the students 15 minutes in the morning and afternoon to leave the building and decompress, giving it an elaborate acronym that is literally R.E.C.E.S.S - they literally reinvent the wheel, but the pronunciation changes to "Reckess" in a hilariously absurd moment.

The one where Prickly overhears TJ using the word "Whomps" and teams up with Miss Finster to try to outlaw it thinking it's a new swear - as soon as it's brought before the courtroom the judge hears the word himself, after being in the dark about the nature of the word for the entire episode, then bursts into laughter at the idiotic adults crowding his courtroom that day. dismissing the case with "What? It's a funny word! Any people who hear anything dirty in it probably simply has a dirty mind themselves."

Also on the subject of Totally Spies I always enjoyed the joke with the U.P.W.A.T.I - every time the girls heard it they had hte same exchange, until the final time it appeared at which point they got to say the final line:
"And finally, the UPWATI"
"Up-what-i?"
"Urgghhh... UnderWater Power Walking Apparatus That's Inconspicuous..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:15 on Aug 5, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Rugrats a lot when I was little. It's got a bit of an off-putting art style in retrospect. Same with Rocket Power.

The only show the hideous Klasky Csupo art style worked for was AAAHH! Real Monsters, since that show was meant to be about ugly creatures living in a dump.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I finished season 1 of Doctor Who, and I can confirm the Big Brother and Weakest Link references don't hold up particularly well. They don't derail the show, but come across as tepid satire in a not-great episode. I like the sci-fi and horror episodes (Father's Day and Empty Child were excellent), but the British culture plots are tedious. Aliens disguised as fat people, and they fart a lot? Somehow that was a two parter?

I'm still not decided on the series as a whole. We are three episodes into season 2, and I hope David Tennant gets a lot better fast. Christopher Eccleston was great but Tennant seems underprepared, though I liked him on Jessica Jones.

Things only get worse when Tennent comes back. Especially during his finale and "OBAMA WILL SAVE US!" Also a dude fucks a slab of concrete.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Labes for days posted:

The only show the hideous Klasky Csupo art style worked for was AAAHH! Real Monsters, since that show was meant to be about ugly creatures living in a dump.

Duckman too because it's an ugly, ugly world but that wasn't a nickelodeon show I hope

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That reminds me of a great early episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation for this thread: The Outrageous Okona.

It's already a bad episode with some really dated poo poo in the A-Plot, but the B-Plot really shoots it forwards. So, the A-Plot is about some "dashing rogue" named Okona whom we're told is very charming and incorrigible but really seems like Lone Star from Spaceballs wearing the Puffy Pirate shirt from Seinfeld. He's played by the guy who was in the Rocketeer and he seduces Teri Hatcher from under Riker's beard. You should be halfway to late 80s Bingo by now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDDETyWoVMY

Anyway, you know how in Star Trek they love to have the B-cast act as stand-ins for various types of autistic tendencies? Well in early TNG the show loved to put Data in the "hyper-literal and super technical" type of autistic, leading to the B-Plot:

Data doesn't "get" comedy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GL25SaeOBg

Now this is bad enough on multiple levels. The jokes all suck. Data is repulsive whenever he's not being well, Data. Whoopi Goldberg is :smug: as all poo poo about how far above this material she is. Then we get to the climax of carbon-dating. The one bit that puts this episode exactly in 1988. Data goes to the Holodeck to conference with one of the greatest comedians in history.

Joe.

Motherfucking.

Piscopo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJsYY93FSCI

Want to hear the kicker? The bit that really sells this all the way to the bank? Joe Piscopo rewrote his lines for the episode because he thought they were too lame. There's loads I didn't mention about the episode-- Wesley's boy-crush on Okona, Brent Spiner mocking the poo poo out of Piscopo during their scenes together, Whoopi Goldberg's astonishingly bad joke about 'noids, the Okona plot involving a kidnapped princess... it's one of the real stinkers guys. Worth a hate-watch.

I always got the feeling Okona was one of those episodes where Roddenberry or someone thought that TNG was just the Original Series with less limitations and tried to make the most of it, only to realize twenty big years of social progression happened and their viewpoints were insanely outdated. Another case was that episode where the Federation was being taken over by bugs and Picard and Riker literally blew up a guy who had the queen incide of him and it was pretty gory for '80s standards.

TNG could have really, really changed into something else if Roddenberry kicked around for a bit longer. And I doubt it would have been as fondly remembered.

evobatman posted:

Married with Children is now a sci-fi show about how it's possible to support a wife, two kids, a dog, a car and a mortgage with one shoesalesmans income.

Considering all that Al was able to withstand punishment wise, I imagine it's really the story of an immortal who didn't have the smarts to invest and ended up in his own personal hell: the only things he really owns is the lovely house (that was eventually bought up and brought back when yuppies started moving in) and he has so much seniority at the shoe store that he actually makes a fair bit of cash and nobody has had the urge to ask him why for fear of being destroyed utterly, so they roll with it.

Or he's just the manager of the store which would make more sense: stuck with all the poo poo work and a meaningless promotion that allows him a slight living wage but no real power at all, just like in real life.

Guy Mann posted:

The period between the fall of the soviet union and 9/11 was a weird one for entertainment because we had no idea what nebulous evil to dedicate ourselves to fighting so just clung onto whatever was convenient, whether it was identity politics or conspiracy theories.

And it turned out we were really good at seeing ourselves as the enemies (see X-Files for that one).

Mister Kingdom posted:

And Jefferson was a much better partner-in-crime for Al than Steve.

Yeah, Ted McGinley's addition to the show was really a nice bit of serendipity. He's probably the one who helped the show get at least two more seasons before Fox dropped the axe on them.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Things only get worse when Tennent comes back. Especially during his finale and "OBAMA WILL SAVE US!" Also a dude fucks a slab of concrete.

"OBAMA HAS A PLAN TO SAVE THE ECONOMY" and the President-Elect going into danger despite that being a position that, normally, is only held for two months and involves getting their own Administration in order.....well, it used to be funny, now it's just downright bizarre.

When Doctor Who fucks up, it doesn't hold back. It goes big.

Calaveron posted:

Duckman too because it's an ugly, ugly world but that wasn't a nickelodeon show I hope

Duckman also got into some interesting psychological territory, too, so the strangeness of the artwork could have been impressionism written large. Of course this discounts the series finale which just shits out its entire premise five seconds before the crew flips the audience the bird.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
I wanted to mention another, Twin Peaks. I started watching it recently, and I am halfway through season 2 which aired in 1990-1991. I think it still holds up super well today. The largest things dating it are the relatively slow pacing by modern standards, and how much the show drew from soap operas of the time. The hair and fashion is of course very early 90s, but that works in a period piece kind of way. I was kind of blown away by the trans character portrayed by David Duchovny, the portrayal isn't perfect, but it is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm probably more surprised because my reference for trans representation in the 90s was Ace Ventura.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Rugrats and Rocket Power were god-awful and I didn't like them even when I was the target age. However, I won't hear a word against the first few seasons of Spongebob
Spongebob is overrated as loving balls hth. It's not bad by any stretch, but it baffles me that it became this cultural touchstone.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Doug is a show I enjoyed when I was younger (both the Nick and Disney versions) then about 12-ish years ago when I started going on Internet message boards, I discovered that people loving hated Doug, and I could never understand why. Even years later, I don't understand why people hate Doug, because there's just so little there to hate.
Yeah Doug is an offensive moth fart of a show. Like yeah it's not particularly good, but it's like getting worked up about minute rice.

Like look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XoKD8Gh-tE

Yes it's just "white suburbia-- the show" but it's the least offensive version of that possible. It's this weird little pocket of nothing that smells like pine needles and dead Baby Boomers

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I always got the feeling Okona was one of those episodes where Roddenberry or someone thought that TNG was just the Original Series with less limitations and tried to make the most of it, only to realize twenty big years of social progression happened and their viewpoints were insanely outdated. Another case was that episode where the Federation was being taken over by bugs and Picard and Riker literally blew up a guy who had the queen incide of him and it was pretty gory for '80s standards.

TNG could have really, really changed into something else if Roddenberry kicked around for a bit longer. And I doubt it would have been as fondly remembered.
Yeah Roddenberry, like Brannon Braga and Rick Berman, is one of those creators where they deserve a lot of poo poo for the stuff they did but also were instrumental in keeping the franchise alive. Roddenberry would have strangled the show by the end of the third season. Some of his edicts were literally dumb poo poo like "in the future we do not mourn our dead" or "no interpersonal conflicts because everyone is so evolved." When you couple it with episodes like Code of Honor (Space Africans kidnap white lady), Up the Long Ladder (19th Century Irish people in space debate the number of clone wives they can have; for loving real), and that one where the paradise planet is depicted as blonde hair Ayran supermodels... yeah Roddenberry was a messed up motherfucker even for his day.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think a lot of the Hanna Barbera cartoons from the 60s and 70s have aged well, especially in comparison to what Disney and Warner Bros were doing at the same time.
The only good thing Hanna Barbera did was give Adult Swim creators in the 00s a ton of fertile soil to poo poo on.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Probably the most insane story to do with Rugrats was when someone managed to get hold of some of those incredibly hosed up and weird storyboards that the guys working on the show made.

The story goes that guys working on shows like that would tend to mess around and make fake storyboards of poo poo like the characters killing each other, swearing or doing other absurd stuff and pass it around and each person added to it. It was just a fun little game. The problem came when some dude took it way too far (I'm probably mixing poo poo up so if someone knows what I mean please correct me) and just kept adding really really hosed up stuff.

The only board that made it online as I recall has Tommy try to give Angelica some drink he poisoned, then his dad came in and made some really gross remarks to her and kicked Tommy or something.

The dude just kept making it grosser and grosser to the point where a higher up on the show found it and nearly fired a ton of people over it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Arcsquad12 posted:

As it turns out, James Woods has also aged poorly.

quote:

...the Once Upon a Time in America actor tweeted a photo on Sunday, July 9, of a 10-year-old boy and his family celebrating at a recent Pride Parade with the parents holding signs that say “I [love] my gender creative son!” and “My son wears dresses & makeup … get over it!!” Woods wrote, “This is sweet. Wait until this poor kid grows up, realizes what you’ve done, and stuffs both of you dismembered into a freezer in the garage.”

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I don't remember much of Tennant's first series but I watched his second and third recently and he's actually really good, definitely helped out a lot by how good Martha and Donna are. There's some real stinkers, but the good episodes are worth it. There's still a good few set in 2010 England, but they're usually the finales or christmas specials and we all know they suck anyway so whatever.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Besesoth posted:

James Woods is also the guy who sued a weird twitter account for defamation because he made a joke about James Woods doing a shitload of cocaine

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
James Woods is a violently devout alt righter.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He was a Democrat right up until Obama won, so you can probably draw your own conclusions.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Probably the most insane story to do with Rugrats was when someone managed to get hold of some of those incredibly hosed up and weird storyboards that the guys working on the show made.

The story goes that guys working on shows like that would tend to mess around and make fake storyboards of poo poo like the characters killing each other, swearing or doing other absurd stuff and pass it around and each person added to it. It was just a fun little game. The problem came when some dude took it way too far (I'm probably mixing poo poo up so if someone knows what I mean please correct me) and just kept adding really really hosed up stuff.

The only board that made it online as I recall has Tommy try to give Angelica some drink he poisoned, then his dad came in and made some really gross remarks to her and kicked Tommy or something.

The dude just kept making it grosser and grosser to the point where a higher up on the show found it and nearly fired a ton of people over it.

IIRC it was something like Stu making Tommy drink bleach and then telling Angelica to "Ride Daddy's thunder balls".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wheat Loaf posted:

He was a Democrat right up until Obama won, so you can probably draw your own conclusions.

His brain broke on 9/11. He'd actually reported some of the hijackers to the authorities for suspicious behavior on an earlier flight (they were rehearsing the hijacking, apparently).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Rugrats is a lot funnier whenever they focus on the parents.
The real star of the show is Grandpa and his crotchety antics. :3:

There's also a strong divide between pre-movie and post-movie Rugrats, I think.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Oh, I just remembered some non-American stuff that aged very poorly.

Aged poorly in a completely different sense is the very first Tintin strip.

Tintin originally started as a commissioned anti-communist work. Hence why Tintin is a reporter: in the first strips he's uncovering Bolshevik plots to turn the good Europeans away from liberal democracy. During the second world war, the German forces made publishing politically sensitive material too dangerous in occupied Belgium, so Tintin turned into the swashbuckling explorer we know and love today, and his more political slant disappeared.

to Hergés credit, after the War he did go in interviews stating that his original strips were influenced by his bourgeois and paternalistic upbringing, and that he somewhat regretted these.

Still. Holy poo poo, they did not age well at all.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

I wanted to mention another, Twin Peaks. I started watching it recently, and I am halfway through season 2 which aired in 1990-1991. I think it still holds up super well today. The largest things dating it are the relatively slow pacing by modern standards, and how much the show drew from soap operas of the time. The hair and fashion is of course very early 90s, but that works in a period piece kind of way. I was kind of blown away by the trans character portrayed by David Duchovny, the portrayal isn't perfect, but it is overwhelmingly positive.

I'm probably more surprised because my reference for trans representation in the 90s was Ace Ventura.

The pacing problems were the result of studio interference. The show was huge, it blew up in a way that nobody expected in season one, and the studio insisted that David Lynch stretch out season two to double the episodes. When he said no, they fired him and brought in somebody who would.

Calaveron posted:

NO MA'AM was like prototypical MRA but we were in on the joke that Al and his friends were all a bunch of losers for being in it

I bet if you trace the founders of the men's rights movement backwards you'll see every one of them was at just the right age to be watching this and not get that it was a joke. Just like Cartman and the Alt Right.

flavor.flv has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Aug 6, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Moon Monster posted:

IIRC it was something like Stu making Tommy drink bleach and then telling Angelica to "Ride Daddy's thunder balls".

That sounds accurate. I remember someone found a blog post by the guy who kept adding the grossest stuff and he looked like stereotypical dork and he was weirdly proud of the incident.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

24 has aged pretty badly in general, but I think the biggest problem is that the terrorist plots always center around some sort of WMD. I guess there's not a lot Jack can do about some self-radicalized 22 year old deciding to shoot up a nightclub.

John Murdoch posted:

The real star of the show is Grandpa and his crotchety antics. :3:

There's also a strong divide between pre-movie and post-movie Rugrats, I think.

It seems like a lot of kids' cartoons get worse every season. Even when I was 8 I could tell that the season leading up to the movie was worse than the original episodes, and the season after the movie where they added the little brother were worse still.

Dexter's lab was similar. The first run with the yellow "Dexter's Lab" sign in the opening was great. The next batch had a green sign in the opening was still good but not quite on the same level. Then they changed up the animation style, did a ton of episodes about Mandark and his hippy parents and the show started sucking. I guess that was probably when Genndy left to work on Samurai Jack.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Animators are generally pretty gross.

quote:

"A Storyboard Jam isn't common on shows that allow people to get out frustrations in the actual work, but on cutie kid shows, everyone draws naked women going bonkers on giant cocks in their spare time. Inevitably, through loathing of the project, they start a storyboard jam where a continuous story evolves from artist to artist as they hand around the papers. Everyone gets a turn to do their worst with the characters.

At Klasky, on Rugrats, they started this Jam in 1998 I think. The first page had Angelica being a bitch to Tommy, so Tommy gets her a drink in the kitchen and puts in dog food and draino, then toddles back to Angelica. This is where the story should have heated up, but I saw someone was intervening. I found this lone page yesterday and can't find the rest. When the Jam was handed to me I disgustedly pushed it away, and after seeing it unattended on another artist's desk for 2 days I had the idea to step up the lameness a notch by having Stu come in and be utterly abusive to everyone. The artists who saw my treatment of the characters after their refined, cultured story were getting pissed...

I began the next page (I was on a roll, most people did 3 or 4 panels and I was doing 12 or so in a fervor of home filth) with a close up of Stu's crotch (on model) and then a cut away showing his entire pelvis is in fact two tight and well rounded testicles with a tiny cock dangling from above. Lightening was bouncing around and words appeared saying 'BALLS OF THUNDER!', or something to that effect. After that, the next artists really took it to it's low as Angelica's hands came in to stroke Stu's balls and then incest sex scenes flew all over the pages. I was disgusted, even, when I saw what had become of the comic.

Someone was taking the things between buildings, to dump it on the Thornberry crew when an executive snooty-draws producer saw it, was disturbed, and confiscated the jam... and thus it ended."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Man, of all the '90s cartoons I liked in my childhood, Nickelodeon-era Doug is the one I was most certain would still hold up, and now I'm kinda dreading revisiting it. I hated Disney's Doug, and I hadn't even considered the possibility that it wasn't way worse—just that I was older when I watched it.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Aug 6, 2017

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^ Doug has actually not aged that badly. It's actually pretty funny now because it's 90's as all hell and in a good way.

Hahahaha "I was DISGUSTED with this filth so I drew 12 pages of a cartoon characters dick and balls. It was all fine until some snooty loser confiscated our incest storyboard!"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Duckman was on USA.

I picked up the first couple of seasons in a cheap boxset not long ago. I have yet to get far into a rewatch, but from what I've seen so far, Duckman's held up OK.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

His brain broke on 9/11. He'd actually reported some of the hijackers to the authorities for suspicious behavior on an earlier flight (they were rehearsing the hijacking, apparently).

I know this is a few posts back, but really? I've been judging him quite harshly for his recent dickery, but that's enough to wreck anyone's mind.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I know this is a few posts back, but really? I've been judging him quite harshly for his recent dickery, but that's enough to wreck anyone's mind.

Not enough to cause you to sue a dude who made a drug joke about you, laugh when he dies, and then sue his widow anyway.

James Woods is human garbage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Calaveron posted:

It's why I'm super excited for the reboot because all the jokes in it were pitch perfect Rocko but with current stuff
I'd say Hey Arnold and Rocko were the best Nicktoons, but they had completely different tones. Hey Arnold's sincere, non-judgmental vibe is very commonplace on shows today but was a breath of fresh air in the cynical '90s. On the other hand, Rocko's deep cynicism about society will feel like something we didn't think we needed once the movie comes out.

Doug was decent. There were no Rocko or Hey Arnold-like highs, nor were there Rugrats or Spongebob-like lows. I think that Rugrats is better than people give it credit for, but that's usually when we hear from the adults. There are some good references- the "Lipschitz" guy they talk about is just a stand-in for Benjamin Spock, a well-known child raising expert back in the '50s. Also there was that one episode that was a take on Cool Hand Luke. It was a nice change of pace from the dime-a-dozen Citizen Kane parodies in that era (The Simpsons, Tiny Toon Adventures, The Critic... I'm sure there were more).

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah Roddenberry, like Brannon Braga and Rick Berman, is one of those creators where they deserve a lot of poo poo for the stuff they did but also were instrumental in keeping the franchise alive. Roddenberry would have strangled the show by the end of the third season. Some of his edicts were literally dumb poo poo like "in the future we do not mourn our dead" or "no interpersonal conflicts because everyone is so evolved." When you couple it with episodes like Code of Honor (Space Africans kidnap white lady), Up the Long Ladder (19th Century Irish people in space debate the number of clone wives they can have; for loving real), and that one where the paradise planet is depicted as blonde hair Ayran supermodels... yeah Roddenberry was a messed up motherfucker even for his day.

The closest representation to this I can point to was when Jabootu (of all places) took on the second Jurassic Park movie and noted that Spielberg was playing games with the adventurer character, and how he wanted him to be the good guy but realized that after a few decades he was just as morally wrong as a lot of villains (the living face of colonialism and such). In a way, that's how I feel that the Okona episode when wrong: Trek was trying to harken back to its swinging '60s past and really didn't get why they were wrong or expected sci-fi to be the same as it was back in the '60s when nearly everything went and it was a very white male focused sort of universe. Of course, the Jabootu guy also was slamming the movie for ignoring the white male adventurer character where I feel most people would be of the other mind, appreciating what Spielberg was doing by bringing that archetype in and then taking it down a peg.

Also, Roddenberry had some really lovely ideas for drama as well. No emotion? No conflict? How the gently caress are you going to have any dramatic impact then? That's another thing that Trek in the '90s really did wrong: piss away any dramatic focus that showed the Federation as being less than perfect. Just because you take away the need for survival doesn't mean humans stop being assholes, jerks, or bigots. He did a good job saving the show and letting it become what it is today, but holy poo poo a lot of that had to be some amazing luck.

Besesoth posted:

I want to see the James Woods of Videodrome interact with the James Woods of today, because I sincerely doubt it's the same person.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

James Woods is also the guy who sued a weird twitter account for defamation because he made a joke about James Woods doing a shitload of cocaine

That actually may be the difference.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'd say Hey Arnold and Rocko were the best Nicktoons, but they had completely different tones. Hey Arnold's sincere, non-judgmental vibe is very commonplace on shows today but was a breath of fresh air in the cynical '90s. On the other hand, Rocko's deep cynicism about society will feel like something we didn't think we needed once the movie comes out.

I think a very strong argument could be made that the episode of Hey Arnold where Helga sees a therapist is one of the best episodes of a children's cartoon not just of the 90's, but of all time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

That's another thing that Trek in the '90s really did wrong: piss away any dramatic focus that showed the Federation as being less than perfect. Just because you take away the need for survival doesn't mean humans stop being assholes, jerks, or bigots.

Tons of episodes have Picard arguing with command about what the greater moral good is though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Also, Roddenberry had some really lovely ideas for drama as well. No emotion? No conflict? How the gently caress are you going to have any dramatic impact then? That's another thing that Trek in the '90s really did wrong: piss away any dramatic focus that showed the Federation as being less than perfect. Just because you take away the need for survival doesn't mean humans stop being assholes, jerks, or bigots.
Watch deep space nine