Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zoran posted:

I advise winning instead

You suggest git gud? thanks man, i'll try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

stop losing

All the loving Aidens chose Ketchup

[Edit: I now understand why you can't drop out of a lobby because I would bail every time I see someone with extraneous accents in their name]

[Edit: to clarify, I'm talking about people with names like ".:Stàlkér:.", having a name like that is pretty much shorthand for "What do you mean, I'm not playing CoD deathmatch?"]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 5, 2017

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Lesson learned, pick the less popular team. Ketchup teams are hilariously bad.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Woo! Just reached Mayo Queen!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I bet the general trend will be the more popular team loses the solo matches, with the tie breaker being whoever forms the better teams

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got Ketchup King, that's enough Splatoon for today. Ended up taking me 46 fights to get there, with a final ketchup power of 1695.8. Good enough.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

to be honest i dont like the new way splatfest wins are tallied. on top of my friend being real bummed out we can't play together unless two other people are online, i feel it heavily favors the overly popular team because they only need to win one of the two remaining categories

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe the popularity contest is determined by majority vote

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

made it to ketchup queen with a ketchup power around 2100~

last night i did team battles and lost every game against mayo while destroyed every ketchup team. made me fairly worried for the overall outcome.

meanwhile today i did solo matches and didn't lose a single game against mayo (when i actually paired against them (which wasn't excessively rare just ketchup is definitely going to win the popular vote here)). only games i lost were against ketchup and when i lost to them i tended to lose pretty bad so i'm pretty confident some of those people went on to ruin some mayos

overall i'd say the splatfest is probably more close than it seems

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Playing in the handheld is definitely taking a bit of my spark, but managing ok.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Last night I was losing matches 3-1, today I'm winning them 3-1.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(I'm on Team Mayo.)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The thing is that I don't think there's supposed to be a clear favorite, they just chose poorly for the first two Splatfests.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Man turf war is not fun anymore

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Kaubocks posted:

made it to ketchup queen with a ketchup power around 2100~

last night i did team battles and lost every game against mayo while destroyed every ketchup team. made me fairly worried for the overall outcome.

meanwhile today i did solo matches and didn't lose a single game against mayo (when i actually paired against them (which wasn't excessively rare just ketchup is definitely going to win the popular vote here)). only games i lost were against ketchup and when i lost to them i tended to lose pretty bad so i'm pretty confident some of those people went on to ruin some mayos

overall i'd say the splatfest is probably more close than it seems

I hit king with over 1900 power and I crushed mayo but Ketchup was a really hard fight for me. We never know how this goes based on goon observations alone.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

at the risk of tooting my own horn (:toot:) what's the general range on splatfest power?

i wanna know how high up the chain i am

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
Hope everybody's having fun with the splatfest! I'm seeing a lot of Ketchup vs. Ketchup matches, but I think people have pointed out earlier that means the good players on Team Mayo get more matches that matter so it's usually one side wins popularity and the other solo matches.

Thread's been really helpful with advice in the past! One of the things people have said is if you keep getting splatted by a particular weapon to try it out in order to get a handle of it's strengths/weaknesses. Though since this is Turf War/Splatfest I'm just seeing a plethora of Aerosprays - so what's the right way to respond to a curling bomb rush? "Retreat to higher ground" isn't always an option but that at lest lets you survive, or what I've preferred to do is aggressive rush them which means you can splat them half-way through but for me it's almost always a trade because a bomb inevitably splats me.

Also, on Port Mackerel I saw a paint brush user on the other team just ignore everybody and run back to our spawn. Even though I tried to chase to splat them I couldn't keep up using a Splattershot and ended up going back to mid. They ended up winning that round. I'm thinking the only thing I could have done was Super Jump back to spawn to intercept? Is there any way to catch a brush if you're following behind them?

(And finally, are actual adults really marking art they don't like as Inappropriate just because they don't like it? Like not white ink/mayo innuendo, but stuff kids would see in a Disney movie, or you know, a Nintendo Game?)

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Another communication error in tally screen meaning that match didnt count. I have no idea whats up

edit: and another. only during tally screen.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 5, 2017

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

at the risk of tooting my own horn (:toot:) what's the general range on splatfest power?

I've been hovering between 1600 and 1700 mayo power with a healthy number of losses if that helps.

Only had 1 or 2 matches where I got 2000+.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kaubocks posted:

I'm hovering around 1850 Ketchup Power

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Overbite posted:

Another communication error in tally screen meaning that match didnt count. I have no idea whats up

Is that what that means? I've had maybe 2 matches total where I didn't get a disconnect after the results and I'm a Champion at the moment

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

(And finally, are actual adults really marking art they don't like as Inappropriate just because they don't like it? Like not white ink/mayo innuendo, but stuff kids would see in a Disney movie, or you know, a Nintendo Game?)

People unashamedly posting their own fursonas for kids to see in a Nintendo game is not a good thing.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

In Training posted:

Is that what that means? I've had maybe 2 matches total where I didn't get a disconnect after the results and I'm a Champion at the moment

I got points after the one I did just now but there have been some where I didn't. I'm disconnecting after every match now and it's got me worried.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Overbite posted:

This keeps happening to me too, even though the matches seem to be going fine. It's at different times though, sometimes after the results screen and sometimes after the level up. Does that match counting or not matter one when the disconnect happens?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, Ketchup power doesn't really matter, it's just the average of your points from the Splatfest. If you lost a lot, it's gonna be lower than someone that won most of their matches.

I'm just happy that I got a natural score of 1201 in one game, that's my highest one yet (we lost the game though).

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

People unashamedly posting their own fursonas for kids to see in a Nintendo game is not a good thing.

It's basically the same as the weirdos parading out bdsm gear in public, don't push your sexual fetishes on children ty

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

LethalGeek posted:

Playing in the handheld is definitely taking a bit of my spark, but managing ok.

Handheld + gyro is actually my favorite.

Finally finished the campaign. It was meh overall, useful for gitting gud at gyro. I am fine with them reusing the final boss sequence because it was fun as hell and I never played the original, but I think because of that the emotional beat with Callie and Marie singing together didn't land for me.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

You wanted your Miiverse, you got it

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I ended up around 1900 mayo power at the end, so I don't really know where that puts me. Won more than I lost eitherway.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lelandjs posted:

I mean, Ketchup power doesn't really matter, it's just the average of your points from the Splatfest.

this doesn't really sound right but i don't have any evidence to refute it

anecdotally i'll say most of my games i hover around 1900 for a win so i'd think if that's the case that's where my power would be at

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

this doesn't really sound right but i don't have any evidence to refute it

anecdotally i'll say most of my games i hover around 1900 for a win so i'd think if that's the case that's where my power would be at

The ones you lost, though, were probably around 900-1100, so if you lose even one game that'll immediately lower your power.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

All the loving Aidens chose Ketchup

What is this "Aidens" poo poo

is this the equivalent of "Chads" for broken people when they want to blame children for their general life failures instead of their relationship failures

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
consolation prize for losing during splatfest?

that beat is hot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysyzCYOi1qc&t=519s

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lelandjs posted:

The ones you lost, though, were probably around 900-1100, so if you lose even one game that'll immediately lower your power.

yeah but what i'm saying is my power was over 2100 when i very very rarely ever score 1100+ before win bonuses, and i did lose some games

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

raditts posted:

is this the equivalent of "Chads" for broken people when they want to blame children for their general life failures instead of their relationship failures

It's a stupidly common name for children under the age of 12, and I've seen a crap ton of them along with Dakota's, Tanners, and Hunters.

They're not very good thus the joke. I usually just take it as a free kill or a challenge to carry.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Spellman posted:

You wanted your Miiverse, you got it

This is not miiverse I knew and loved.

This is something different.

Something... wrong.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

yeah but what i'm saying is my power was over 2100 when i very very rarely ever score 1100+ before win bonuses, and i did lose some games

Oh. I have no idea then, the Ketchup power seemed to scale up and down with wins and losses and ended up roughly matching up with my average round score so I assumed that's how it worked.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

raditts posted:

... it's just a general joke about children being bad at videogames

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

power is your matchmaker ranting, or mmr, just like in ranked play. You lose a little if you are defeated by a team with a higher average than yours, gain a lot if you beat a team that had a higher mmr than you, etc. The points that you see as you paint stuff is just the amount of turf you have inked, it doesn't affect mmr at all.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Tenik posted:

power is your matchmaker ranting, or mmr, just like in ranked play. You lose a little if you are defeated by a team with a higher average than yours, gain a lot if you beat a team that had a higher mmr than you, etc. The points that you see as you paint stuff is just the amount of turf you have inked, it doesn't affect mmr at all.

What's the average MMR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY