Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Earwicker posted:

I saw Fleet Foxes in the Prospect Park bandshell last night, it was a really nice set

opener was terrible though

Alex G? Yeah that music probably translates terribly live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

jeffLebowski posted:

also hilariously wrong.

ur right i wasnt actually falling asleep hehe

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

T Bowl posted:

the main problem is I can't stand his voice or style of singing, which is mostly just my personal taste, but he also played one of the worst keyboard solos I've ever heard

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I'm pretty excited, goin' to see AJJ for my birthday. 10th Anniversary of People Who Eat People are the Luckiest People in the World.

Also, diggin' the new Alvvays stuff.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

JailTrump posted:

And the fact that Win says in his latest interview that "We're a International band, we're going to Colombia..Mexico...Do you really think people in Mexico like the kind of music hipsters in brooklyn like now days?" is pretty loving cool and more aware than probably anything I've heard from any "Indie" band.

The story about them doing a secret show overseas of all new music and the most popular song they end up play being the track people dislike most kind of cements how much I like this album. The fact that my ESL wife who hates indie music and loves salsa loves that track too kind of seals it for me.

You mean musical tastes can differ wildly from location to location? gently caress, if only there were some way we've been keeping track of what's popular in certain areas for loving decades, we could've known that!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also there are lots of people in Mexico and Colombia who do indeed like the kind of music that hipsters in Brooklyn like, its why they play gigs in those countries

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The wall just got ten feet higher

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
When Brooklyn sends it's bands, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending LCD. They’re not sending Grizzly Bear. They’re sending bands that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with them. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’ve got drum machines instead of drummers. And some, I assume, are good people.

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lol while we're all making GBS threads on Arcade Fire for making a album influenced by world music Bon Iver just announced the first concert outside the Continental United States/Western Europe - at a fancy white's only resort in the most whitewashed place in all of Mejico - with tickets costing $1500 minimum - and not featuring a single local act.

GG dude!

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

JailTrump posted:

Lol while we're all making GBS threads on Arcade Fire for making a album influenced by world music Bon Iver just announced the first concert outside the Continental United States/Western Europe - at a fancy white's only resort in the most whitewashed place in all of Mejico - with tickets costing $1500 minimum - and not featuring a single local act.

GG dude!

Good job trolling dude, except no one gives a gently caress if Arcade Fire's music was influenced by world music. If that all of a sudden makes you go in your head "oh yeah this is actually good never mind" then that's just silly. The songs are weak and world music is one of the most lame things you could possibly use as a statement in 2017. Go listen to Peter Gabriel and call it a day you weirdo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

JailTrump posted:

GG dude!

That's a little disingenuous. It's a four day all inclusive vacation that includes three full sets of from Bon Iver and the collaborators. I mean I can't speak to that being a whites only resort (i'm totally unfamiliar with it) ... but it's not like $1500 for a single concert ticket or something.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
My Morning Jacket is having yet another of those and i'd do it if it wasn't that expensive. $1500 per person and you still have to pay for the flight, no thanks.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That BBC interview where Win talks about how sometimes songs are 90% copies of other songs just with a different lyrics and attitude made me realize that Creature Comfort is Safety Dance

JailTrump
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That BBC interview where Win talks about how sometimes songs are 90% copies of other songs just with a different lyrics and attitude made me realize that Creature Comfort is Safety Dance

In typical Arcade Fire fashion he took leaving his friends behind quite seriously.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Safety Dance is basically the decoder track for this whole album

If your aging twee emo rockers don't dance to Thomas Bangalters favorite dust covered disco funk jams then they ain't no friends of mine

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

T Bowl posted:

Alex G exceeded my expectations, but it could have been because Japanese Breakfast was a boring as gently caress opener.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I liked Reflektor quite a bit and didn't think Everything Now was terrible but it seemed half-baked.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

resident posted:

Alex G exceeded my expectations, but it could have been because Japanese Breakfast was a boring as gently caress opener.

That's a shame...but I get it. Soft Sounds is a good album but it doesn't exactly have stuff to really even bob your head to

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

My opinion of The National changed entirely after seeing them live. Used to regard them as extremely boring.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Listening to the Arcade Fire album and ... it's starting to grow on me. Really all I don't like is the first Infinite Content, Good God drat and Chemistry and Peter Pan.

edit: Also Everything Now and We Don't Deserve Love are the best songs on it

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 3, 2017

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I made a Chrome extension that adds Spotify search links to Pitchfork. I haven't tested this that thoroughly, but it seems to work!

It doesn't actually link up to Spotify and check to see if the artist or album exists on Spotify—it just performs a search. Still, this is a really fast way to hop from Pitchfork to Spotify.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/spotifork/amhdchkdkchdidinbcofgbklneockjmf

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
In non-Arcade Fire discussion (Put Your Money On Me is making a strong push into my AF top 10), I really enjoyed the new Joywave and Manchester Orchestra records. The Joywave stuff doesn't have any specific pop-out tracks like Tongues or Somebody New, but I really enjoyed the darker mood and the progression in songwriting. Even as an Everything Now defender, Content is arguably a better meditation on overload culture.

I've seen people call A Black Mile To The Surface Manchester Orchestra's best, and while I'm partial to being 18 and screaming along to Mean Everything To Nothing, it's a really solid, cohesive and thorough piece of work with hooks that creep up on you.

Now that Tremendous Sea of Love is readily available and I could finally give it an easy listen... yeah, not Passion Pit's best. It's telling that a tossed-off collection of first drafts is better than Kindred, but it's still not all that grabbing despite some good tracks.

Finally, the live Sylvan Esso EP made me revisit What Now, and whoops, it suddenly became my AOTY. Die Young rips my heart apart.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CRINDY posted:

In non-Arcade Fire discussion (Put Your Money On Me is making a strong push into my AF top 10), I really enjoyed the new Joywave and Manchester Orchestra records. The Joywave stuff doesn't have any specific pop-out tracks like Tongues or Somebody New, but I really enjoyed the darker mood and the progression in songwriting. Even as an Everything Now defender, Content is arguably a better meditation on overload culture.

I've seen people call A Black Mile To The Surface Manchester Orchestra's best, and while I'm partial to being 18 and screaming along to Mean Everything To Nothing, it's a really solid, cohesive and thorough piece of work with hooks that creep up on you.

Now that Tremendous Sea of Love is readily available and I could finally give it an easy listen... yeah, not Passion Pit's best. It's telling that a tossed-off collection of first drafts is better than Kindred, but it's still not all that grabbing despite some good tracks.

Finally, the live Sylvan Esso EP made me revisit What Now, and whoops, it suddenly became my AOTY. Die Young rips my heart apart.

Agree with all of this.

Also in under-the-radar-news, Trevor Sensor released his first LP "Andy Warhol's Dream" this year. It's really good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Double posting, but the new War on Drugs Song "Pain" is really good.

God he's like some neo-yacht rock neo-Henley poo poo. I love it so much.

edit: with a dash of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell thrown in.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
is mark kozelek okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPYl4eA5o4k

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Probably, he's just a weird dude, always has been. He also plays it up a bit for the public I think.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
Bit of a long shot but I half remember a song that I liked a bunch of years ago. It was by a woman who I think was British. I vaguely remember it maybe had something to do with horses or mirrors but potentially didn't. The music video had a bit where she was at a kitchen table with her head on it in black and white. She was also topless at one point.

It's bugging the gently caress out of me so hopefully someone knows what it's called :sweatdrop: any help would be appreciated

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Slide McGriffin posted:

Bit of a long shot but I half remember a song that I liked a bunch of years ago. It was by a woman who I think was British. I vaguely remember it maybe had something to do with horses or mirrors but potentially didn't. The music video had a bit where she was at a kitchen table with her head on it in black and white. She was also topless at one point.

It's bugging the gently caress out of me so hopefully someone knows what it's called :sweatdrop: any help would be appreciated

Ellie Goulding's "Guns and Horses", I think.

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
It definitely wasn't that unfortunately :(

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
So I'm kind of in love with this one weird song:

Baby Dayliner feat. Alex Sanchez - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2InH2KuJz0

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I saw Fleet Foxes last night. I wasn't really looking forward to it, because I bought the tickets before the new album was released, and then I found I wasn't a huge fan of Crack-Up. However, the show blew me away. I have always known Robin's voice is spectacular, but seeing it in a live setting made it that much more impressive.

In the past 24 hours, I have now been non-stop listening to Crack-Up and have been realizing that I may have been hasty in my reaction to it.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Double posting, but the new War on Drugs Song "Pain" is really good.

God he's like some neo-yacht rock neo-Henley poo poo. I love it so much.

edit: with a dash of Pink Floyd's The Division Bell thrown in.

Yep, every single song off the new record has been amazing so far, I can't wait

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Twin Cinema posted:

I saw Fleet Foxes last night. I wasn't really looking forward to it, because I bought the tickets before the new album was released, and then I found I wasn't a huge fan of Crack-Up. However, the show blew me away. I have always known Robin's voice is spectacular, but seeing it in a live setting made it that much more impressive.

In the past 24 hours, I have now been non-stop listening to Crack-Up and have been realizing that I may have been hasty in my reaction to it.

Happened to me too. There's really no traditional single apart from the first half of Third of May, and it's more subdued than the past stuff. More of a headphones album than the ones before it

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
It's an amazing album. I just see it as people who don't like it think totally different about music than the people who do, not in a bad way.. they just get something else out of it. They were really good live too, I agree, and I was worried the live setting would not benefit those songs. I'd still like to see them having one more harmony voice though since Tillman gone is clearly a hole with that they aren't really filling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If you wanna feel super old, one of the first things I remember watching on youtube was this Fleet Foxes cover by two Swedish teenage girls, who ended up becoming First Aid Kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrqBldlqzA

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Did Julien Baker blow up recently for some reason? I went to her show tonight in Denver and there were at least three times as many people as her show here last August.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Noctone posted:

Did Julien Baker blow up recently for some reason? I went to her show tonight in Denver and there were at least three times as many people as her show here last August.

Yeah she's had a pretty quick rise. I think it has leveled off though.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Noctone posted:

She signed to Matador and has been touring her rear end off.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Noctone posted:

Tickets to her shows went from like $17 a piece when I saw her last year to like $50 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Hey, we got us some new Destroyer

"Sky's Grey" — first track off his new LP, ken