Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got fired from my dream job after I hit my head, passed out, and went on autopilot thanks to my anxiety meds and scared the poo poo out of everyone and drank a whole bottle of tequila.

Reason for termination? My potentially mind altering PRESCRIBED medications could be a clear and present danger to myself and others.

e: oh sure, I'll just stop taking those so I can go back to being a binge drinking ball of stress.

You should sue them for workmans comp if you hit your head hard enough to pass out while at work. If you were behaving erratically at work after massive head trauma that's on them, not you, regardless of whatever medication you're on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

update re: wedding thing--

yeah, i got pretty lowballed. room and board were included but travel was not unless i drove (which would require a car) in which case i'd be reimbursed for gas. it was kinda moot anyways because that's the same week the boss's kid is back in the states and he'll be taking time off appropriately, so if i took off too then the assistant boss would have her job plus my job and the boss's job so yeah that wasn't gonna happen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Don't work unpaid. It's already bad enough that people are expected to work on a line just to prove their skills (edit: for like nine bucks an hour in particular), but gently caress's sake: If your prospective employer can't cough up $30 for a few hours, tell them to go to hell.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

if that's directed at me i would have gotten paid, just like half what i was advised would be an acceptable rate.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
Anyone know anything about seasonal jobs? I have a good summer gig which runs early May through mid October. I'm looking for something to fill in the gap.

My experience is running restaurants. I've been everything from sous to head chef to kitchen manager. I would prefer something that offers living arrangements and I can move to wherever as I have nothing tying me down.

I don't need to make a ton of money so while I'm qualified and more than willing to take a management role I also would be willing to be a line guy if the fit was right. FOH is also an option although my experience there is far less.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Anyone know anything about seasonal jobs? I have a good summer gig which runs early May through mid October. I'm looking for something to fill in the gap.

My experience is running restaurants. I've been everything from sous to head chef to kitchen manager. I would prefer something that offers living arrangements and I can move to wherever as I have nothing tying me down.

I don't need to make a ton of money so while I'm qualified and more than willing to take a management role I also would be willing to be a line guy if the fit was right. FOH is also an option although my experience there is far less.

Aside from brunch rushes on holiday Mondays, I think most restaurants go through a downturn during the months you're off.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Aside from brunch rushes on holiday Mondays, I think most restaurants go through a downturn during the months you're off.

Depends on location and I'm up for relocating. Ski resorts and destination hotels definitely have a market in that season. I have options in Florida but I'm asking to see if there's something I'm not thinking of.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Willie Tomg posted:

So you're saying, they need a sous chef... :getin:

I got an email from their recruiting dept advertising the position I was just fired from, asking me to apply today!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I got an email from their recruiting dept advertising the position I was just fired from, asking me to apply today!

Apply and get re hired lol

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Apply and get re hired lol

do it

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If you live anywhere near a costal beach town you will kill it during the summer.

But once the season ends and winter comes it's dead as gently caress.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chalk is Cheap posted:

Depends on location and I'm up for relocating. Ski resorts and destination hotels definitely have a market in that season. I have options in Florida but I'm asking to see if there's something I'm not thinking of.

If you have an in or are willing to do lovely work for a first round to have something better and more stable after that, cruise lines are a possibility. Unless you have that in, most won't hire you for management (you'd be like a junior sous or a 'station' - on display, doing carvings or lessons or whatever - chef) until you've done at least one tour with them, but after that I'd imagine you'd be fine, by the sounds of it. Since you're on a boat you don't have to worry about room and board. Consider this option only if you're crazy. The hours are long and the work is lovely, until you're management (and even then it's just less lovely).

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

Naelyan posted:

If you have an in or are willing to do lovely work for a first round to have something better and more stable after that, cruise lines are a possibility. Unless you have that in, most won't hire you for management (you'd be like a junior sous or a 'station' - on display, doing carvings or lessons or whatever - chef) until you've done at least one tour with them, but after that I'd imagine you'd be fine, by the sounds of it. Since you're on a boat you don't have to worry about room and board. Consider this option only if you're crazy. The hours are long and the work is lovely, until you're management (and even then it's just less lovely).

I've never done the cruise ship option and it's something I haven't thought of. Thank you, I'm pretty sure I even have an in. I'll do some research.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

...drank a whole bottle of tequila.

e: oh sure, I'll just stop taking those so I can go back to being a binge drinking ball of stress.

Does not compute.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

caleb posted:

Does not compute.

Severe head injury impedes judgement and leads to person doing thing they would not usually do.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Severe head injury impedes judgement and leads to person doing thing they would not usually do.

Such as work in this loving industry

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Some days I feel like I put up with a lot of bullshit from my line cooks and go out of my way to accommodate them, and they only ever gently caress me in the rear end. Today is one of those days, cause I just got home at 5am and I gotta find time to get stitches at some point tomorrow, hopefully before work. Anyway, not tryin to bitch I guess I'll catch ya'll later

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

caleb posted:

Does not compute.

I take hydroxyzine for anxiety/panic attacks. It can make you have waking dreams. My doctor's best guess was that I was on autopilot from that and went and decided it was party time in my "dream"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I take hydroxyzine for anxiety/panic attacks. It can make you have waking dreams. My doctor's best guess was that I was on autopilot from that and went and decided it was party time in my "dream"

Interesting drug.

quote:

Even though it is an effective sedative, hypnotic, and anxiolytic, it shares virtually none of the abuse, dependence, addiction, and toxicity potential of other drugs used for the same range of therapeutic reasons.

Which makes it quite possibly one of the safest drugs in existence to take given that benzodiazepines are the most common drugs for similar conditions.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

You take hydroxyzine during the DAY?!? I mean, it's good stuff, bonus keeps your sinuses clear, but how are you able to stay upright?

Double bonus, it's primarily listed as an antihistamine and very commonly perscribed for allergies.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

You take hydroxyzine during the DAY?!? I mean, it's good stuff, bonus keeps your sinuses clear, but how are you able to stay upright?

Double bonus, it's primarily listed as an antihistamine and very commonly perscribed for allergies.

I take 20mg Lexapro daily, the hydroxyzine is if I feel a panic attack coming on. I went from drinking 2-3 handles of booze a week to a beer or two a night afterwards.

For a while, I was taking 4mg cloneazepan twice daily and didn't feel a thing drowsy wise. I have an insane tolerance for downers though. Fentanyl doesn't even make me drowsy.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i took 3 days off from both of my jobs this past week so i could go camping with some friends i hadn't seen in a while; gave both jobs over 2 weeks notice. went in to get my paychecks friday morning and got a guilt trip from both of my bosses at both places for taking a couple days off- this is first time i've ever taken any time off at either place. i get home today and find out that they were so bitchmade and pissed they went and updated my schedule and took me off another 2 days this week at job #1 and one day at job #2. basically means i'm going a whole week with no work/no pay. so loving lame, sometimes i hate this industry

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
go camping the whole week!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

well im already home so it would have to be urban camping but i think thats just being a homeless person

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart
Well the fry cook who makes $15 an hour and just got back from 11 days of paid vacation no call/no showed tonight!

edit: but I mean, who can blame him? I hope he at least makes it out of the industry!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Well the fry cook who makes $15 an hour and just got back from 11 days of paid vacation no call/no showed tonight!

edit: but I mean, who can blame him? I hope he at least makes it out of the industry!

Where do you live that $15 is considered low for a fry cook?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Somewhere that pays it's employees in the first place?

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

bunnyofdoom posted:

Somewhere that pays it's employees in the first place?

Doesn't stop them from acting like bitches, in my growing experience

edit: evidently he told his buddy who also works there "it's not what I wanna do for the rest of my life" yeah, no poo poo dick brain but how hard is it to work 2 weeks jesus loving christ

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

That's close to minimum wage in large sections of the country (population wise, not geographically).

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

i took 3 days off from both of my jobs this past week so i could go camping with some friends i hadn't seen in a while; gave both jobs over 2 weeks notice. went in to get my paychecks friday morning and got a guilt trip from both of my bosses at both places for taking a couple days off- this is first time i've ever taken any time off at either place. i get home today and find out that they were so bitchmade and pissed they went and updated my schedule and took me off another 2 days this week at job #1 and one day at job #2. basically means i'm going a whole week with no work/no pay. so loving lame, sometimes i hate this industry

You have every right to hate this industry when your bosses treat you like poo poo for daring to be a human being and spend time with people you care about. I wish it wasn't the norm, because then I'd advise you ask each boss why their failure to do a good job staffing and running their kitchen was your fault to the point that they punish you for it, but I know that there really aren't jobs in real cities where you aren't underpaid and replaceable and life isn't poo poo. I don't know why people who live in real places put up with it, because if the cost of living here weren't so low that it was easy to be "responsible" without even trying I'd have never left a desk job for this industry. No amount of passion is worth more than being able to provide for your basic human needs.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Skwirl posted:

That's close to minimum wage in large sections of the country (population wise, not geographically).

Well I live in rural northeast Georgia, so he was making more than the people who taught him in highschool, for example

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

You have every right to hate this industry when your bosses treat you like poo poo for daring to be a human being and spend time with people you care about. I wish it wasn't the norm, because then I'd advise you ask each boss why their failure to do a good job staffing and running their kitchen was your fault to the point that they punish you for it, but I know that there really aren't jobs in real cities where you aren't underpaid and replaceable and life isn't poo poo. I don't know why people who live in real places put up with it, because if the cost of living here weren't so low that it was easy to be "responsible" without even trying I'd have never left a desk job for this industry. No amount of passion is worth more than being able to provide for your basic human needs.

Don't blame the bosses-- I got in Real Trouble for having a 17% labor cost during the busiest part of my season last year

edit: the owners eventually admitted they made a mistake and that it was cool, but god drat. I need to get some sleep and get ready for at least 9 days of 15 hour shifts on the line in a row until I can replace this rear end in a top hat. Sorry, but I gotta vent somewhere and I don't wanna expose anybody I know personally to this poo poo!

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CHUCK WAS TAKEN posted:

Well I live in rural northeast Georgia, so he was making more than the people who taught him in highschool, for example

It's probably also cheaper to live there, l pay nine hundred for a studio in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Oakland, and that's way under market for the area. If I move out whoever moves in will probably pay between 1200 and 1500.

but FYI minimum in Atlanta is $13 if you're a city employee.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 7, 2017

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

Skwirl posted:

It's probably also cheaper to live there, l pay nine hundred for a studio in one of the more dangerous neighborhoods in Oakland, and that's way under market for the area. If I move out whoever moves in will probably pay between 1200 and 1500.

but FYI minimum in Atlanta is $13, $15 if you're a city employee.

For sure! My rent is the same as yours, except I live in a 2,000 square foot 4 bedroom house on 10 acres. The internet sucks, though

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Got fired from my dream job after I hit my head, passed out, and went on autopilot thanks to my anxiety meds and scared the poo poo out of everyone and drank a whole bottle of tequila.

Reason for termination? My potentially mind altering PRESCRIBED medications could be a clear and present danger to myself and others.

you..... got fired? from like a hotel gig?

gently caress man, I didn't know my boi CdC went hard. also don't see how 'hitting your head and passing out' resolves into the outcome 'drinking a whole bottle of tequila'. but sucks either way.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Skwirl posted:

but FYI minimum in Atlanta is $13 if you're a city employee.

most one bedrooms in town here are north of $1500 and minimum wage is still only $9

glad i got back out of the kitchen when i did

:shepspends:

lol, doing the math someone literally couldn't even afford rent working traditional full time at that rate. much less anything else

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hauki posted:

most one bedrooms in town here are north of $1500 and minimum wage is still only $9

glad i got back out of the kitchen when i did

:shepspends:

lol, doing the math someone literally couldn't even afford rent working traditional full time at that rate. much less anything else

This is by state, so it's worse in urban areas and a little better in rural areas, and it's also from 2015, so it's most likely worse almost everywhere than that now.
different, but related fact:
Earn minimum wage in the US? You can afford to live in exactly 12 counties

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

the great deceiver posted:

setting aside throwing a fit over a long weekend, this is stupid as gently caress for just how passive aggressive it is. if i ever had to deny time off (like someone was asking for over 5 days during our busiest season or something) i told people to their face "no, that isn't going to work". throwing a retaliatory bitch fit for something they didn't comment on when given advanced notice is just cowardly

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

i called the chefs tonight and it turns out it was a mistake at job #1 and i'm working normally but job #2 really is being a passive-aggressive little bitch about it. they might even try to deny my PTO that i requested to use because according to their company policy it can only be used on days that you are calling in sick not requesting off however i am pretty sure that is in violation of california state law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
if they're going to be such jerks about you not being there because they want you to be there so bad that they'll not have you there then maybe you should not be there again?

permanently?