Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

At 2000+ its all splatter shot or shorter, brushes, and rollers. I've seen one heavy splatling. Everyone is close up brawls that go on for ages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

man having a charger on your team is pretty much an auto-loss in turf war huh

I managed to badly lose to a team mayo that had TWO! 8D

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I love that if someone on my team has a charger we inevitably lose. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I'm done. I'm not having fun anymore today.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Holy poo poo!

You can zoom in on drawings in the plaza and Fresh/Report them. :eyepop:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Brushes are fine in turf war. The key to exceling with any weapon in turf war is to equip ink reduction abilities, as you need to be constantly painting.

Something even "good" players seem to not understand about turf war is that inking priority should almost always be;

1.) Your spawn
2.) Middle of the map
3.) Enemy spawn

The reason is due to how the game flows and what I will call 'safe' and 'unsafe' terrain. Turf war is super swingy, and it doesn't take the full 3 minutes for any team to paint the whole map. You can cover up the middle of the map and swing it in your favor in as little as 30 seconds, which is why so many people say only the end matters. Which is only partly true.

Your spawn in turf war is very protected from the enemy. Its hard for them to ink it in a normal match, and on some maps its inaccessible under normal means. This means that your spawn is very likely to avoid being inked, so any part of you ink is usually safe terrain. You should always throughly paint whatever path you take from spawn to the center, and upon respawning patch up any areas missed by your team. If you don't do this, you miss out on points that was basically guaranteed to go to your team. You might get more points by going straight to the center but if the terrain you paint ends up exchanging hands (it will) then it doesn't contribute towards you winning.

So at the start of the match you focus on painting the safe terrain and get as much as possible. When all that is under your control, you focus on the rest of the map. In the last minute of the map though, you want to grab as much unsafe terrain as possible. Painting large swathes of enemy terrain gets you tons of points, and when the match is almost over they have little time to take it back. At this point whoever takes control of the middle usually wins, and in a close match that safe terrain you grabbed/ignored at spawn can tip the scales in one sides' favor.

tldr: INK YOUR drat SPAWN :byodood:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 6, 2017

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
As a Heavy Splatling enthusiast, I've found that it sucks for Turf and it isn't amazing at Splat Zones. Some weapons are just better at different scenarios and levels. When the object of the game is to cover as much ground with ink as possible (in the case of turf war/splatfests/Splat Zones), having a weapon that either fires far but in a straight line, or fires in a wide cone but very shallow, you're going to be at a disadvantage compared to weapons that fire in cones and at mid ranges (and are therefore not great at getting kills).

Stick with chargers/buckets/gatling guns in ranked, but give yourself an automatic for splatfests, imo. Everyone likes picking on the guy for using an Aerospray, but hell, if you like winning...

e:

Internet Kraken posted:

In the last minute of the map though, you want to grab as much unsafe terrain as possible.

I like to call that "biting." If your team bites a chunk out of the enemy team's safe zones, then it doesn't matter if the center of the map is a hot zone.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Truth I’ve Aerospray’d my way to many victories :D

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah Turf War a lot of the specialized weapons don't hold up just because of how simple the game mode is. I think that's a by product of how relaxed that mode is. Anything that has an objective though and you have people who are savants with pretty much every weapon and you get a lot more varied teams

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Where can I check my win-loss ratio for the splatfest? Is it only through the app?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

As a Heavy Splatling enthusiast, I've found that it sucks for Turf and it isn't amazing at Splat Zones. Some weapons are just better at different scenarios and levels. When the object of the game is to cover as much ground with ink as possible (in the case of turf war/splatfests/Splat Zones), having a weapon that either fires far but in a straight line, or fires in a wide cone but very shallow, you're going to be at a disadvantage compared to weapons that fire in cones and at mid ranges (and are therefore not great at getting kills).

The reason why the Splatling sucks in Turf War is that it's kind of a win-more weapon. If you can get on the bridge on The Reef or the tower in Art Academy or whatever, then congrats, you win, but if you CAN'T get there, then you have no way of pushing your way in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I love Splatlings of all sizes

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

The best gun...

is a bucket.

I enjoy the bucket, but I don't see it much. Just wondering if I'm missing something

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
This isn't really true in Ranked, but at the beginning of Turf War you should go left if you're on the left side of the spawn point and vice versa. Frustrating when everyone starts off in the same area.

M.A.R.E. - Mayo Abuse Resistance Education

Just say no to Mayo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

tldr: INK YOUR drat SPAWN :byodood:

I agree with this tldr but i think this is bad advice; rushing to the center of the map ASAP is very useful because having your ink there means the enemy will expend more effort trying to cross over and you can splat them while they try to paint over yours. Control over the middle of the map is in general valuable because that's where the most fighting is going to take place and you're always at an advantage in your own ink.

Inking the spawn and areas around it should happen when people inevitably die. Same if enemies happen to slip past you (unless all the enemies slip past somehow), leave it to people already at spawn.

Although this strategy only works if your entire team is competent and somewhat on board which uhh, doesn't quite work out every time.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

19-14 and powered to 2200. Man all my last matches were hardcore, glad it isn't always like that.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Mayo vs Ketchup: a communication error has occurred.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

squidgee posted:

Mayo vs Ketchup: a communication error has occurred.

Same, but ketchup vs ketchup.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Just farmed someone with a charger last game. They kept returning to the same spot and I kept killing them.

Just say no to paint sniping (in turf war).

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
lost a match in the reef cause this yahoo on our team kept camping up on some glitched high wall off on the side of the stage instead of inking literally any other point of the map

wasn't even using a charger so he couldn't hit jack poo poo

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

man having a charger on your team is pretty much an auto-loss in turf war huh

yea

unless its me :>>>>

3 wins for every loss so i think i did my part for mayo friends

(tbf tho even i get worried when our team spawns and theres another charger on my team)

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Inked enough to get a reward: backgrounds for phones and such.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

All jokes aside, the red and cream color inks look really cool and I'll miss them.

The lighting on some of the stages makes the red ink look cream to me from certain angles and I end up wasting time painting though.:downs:

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

LethalGeek posted:

At 2000+ its all splatter shot or shorter, brushes, and rollers. I've seen one heavy splatling. Everyone is close up brawls that go on for ages

As someone who ended with 2100 by the end of splatfest, Dualie Squelchers and Splatterpro are becoming more and more enticing.
Outranging people is super valuable when you don't have to use a charger to do it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THe ketchup looks kind of like hot sauce on some maps to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Supercar Gautier posted:

If your favourite clothes come from brands whose skills you don't want, you'll probably have to use drinks to improve your odds.

Or wear other clothes to grind ability tokens, then switch to your favorites and swap em in.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Where do these ability chunks come from? I haven't seen anything explaining that yet.

The Gorp posted:

As someone who ended with 2100 by the end of splatfest, Dualie Squelchers and Splatterpro are becoming more and more enticing.
Outranging people is super valuable when you don't have to use a charger to do it.

They're great, when the net code doesn't make your shots go straight through the enemy to the point where you can be outranged by an aerospray.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Gorp posted:

I haven't really tried a lot of other weapons in real-world scenarios, but I like my dualies.

+ Guns akimbo is super cool
+ Dodge roll is good mobility

- Subweapon is kinda weak, but alright for range
- High ink consumption

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Only had a single Mayo v Mayo match on my way to Mayo King. I am never going to max out again. Managed to finish it out on a win and last use of a 1.5x ticket.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
KETCHUP KING

My work here is done (if you call sucking horribly work, I did great in the early morning against the seven-year-olds but started bombing hard later in the day).

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I fresh'd all the BLOOD!!! posts, those are funny

Also SR is closed for two days, why you gotta have a holiday after the holiday Mr. Grizz??

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

raditts posted:

Where do these ability chunks come from? I haven't seen anything explaining that yet.

You get them from paying Murch to scrub your gear, which takes the sub-abilities off of it and turns each one into a chunk. He charges $20000 for most items (but only $2000 for the Splatfest T-shirt).

To add a specific ability to a piece of gear, it costs 10 chunks. The second slot costs 20 chunks, the third slot costs 30. So if you want to stack something specific, you need to amass 60 chunks (and there's 14 types of ability chunk you can get, so it will probably take a couple hundred scrubs to get 60 of any one particular ability).

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

You get them from paying Murch to scrub your gear. He charges $20000 for most items (but only $2000 for the Splatfest T-shirt).

To add a specific ability to a piece of gear, it costs 10 chunks. The second slot costs 20 chunks, the third slot costs 30. So if you want to stack something specific, you need to amass 60 chunks (and there's 14 types of ability chunk you can get, so it will probably take a couple hundred scrubs to get 60 of any one particular ability).

Drinks are the fast way if you feel lucky. They're much easier to get than chunks, and are pretty generous mostly in getting the ability.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Amppelix posted:

I agree with this tldr but i think this is bad advice; rushing to the center of the map ASAP is very useful because having your ink there means the enemy will expend more effort trying to cross over and you can splat them while they try to paint over yours. Control over the middle of the map is in general valuable because that's where the most fighting is going to take place and you're always at an advantage in your own ink.

Inking the spawn and areas around it should happen when people inevitably die. Same if enemies happen to slip past you (unless all the enemies slip past somehow), leave it to people already at spawn.

Although this strategy only works if your entire team is competent and somewhat on board which uhh, doesn't quite work out every time.

There's zero reason to rush the center at the start. Even if you take hold of it first, in 90% of matches you aren't going to hold it for the whole match. Also most of the maps are large enough that you can't hold the entire center anyways. The spawn has to be inked eventually, and the start of the match is simply the smartest time to do it. The longer the match goes on the more valuable taking unsafe terrain becomes. You don't want to end up having to ink or ignore parts of spawn in the last minute because nobody bothered to do it.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

All ketchup players in eu have gone to bed seemingly. Just had 3 mayo v mayo matches in a row.

I'm also currently on an epic losing streak. Haven't won a game in 40 minutes. :negative:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
You don't want to ink your spawn at the start because it's safe turf that you can use to build your super meter later on in the match

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Every time I feel good about winning a match I notice the other team has a 0-0 player

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't really tried a lot of other weapons in real-world scenarios, but I like my dualies.

The best thing about Dualie Squelcher is that you dodge roll BACKWARDS and let your range do the talking.
Built in escape for a longrange weapon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm starting to realize that penalties for players constantly DCing was a mistake. It's becomming a punishment more for players who are stuck with lovely internet access.

Been playing for an how...I maybe played three full games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I keep thinking that Off the Hook are doing a cover of TMBG Icky - the refrain anyway

First name Getting All Up In Your
Last name INK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xzIPhnsCE for reference for those poor saps that don't know all 999 TMBG songs