Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

LaserShark posted:

Well, what I mean is, if I pay $40 now, what am I getting that someone that starts in December for free is not? Just a handful of llamas?
Accumulated daily login rewards are about it. The 7 llamas you get with the basic pack aren't worth nearly $40. But yeah, if they keep loving up they'll probably end up giving out a few more rounds of free junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
You can also probably get a key from goons who got the mega packs for less than $40.

Ross Perowned
Jun 14, 2012

Shit in my hand and say yeah
Also, there's the Founder coins that you only get from playing the game now, which lets you purchase Founder Llamas that are exclusive to the early access and provides higher-end loot.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

TheBlandName posted:

Fortnite way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 4% more final damage.
Industry convention way: +40% damage mod on your gun means you do 40% more final damage.

Eh, it kind of makes sense from a "really strong early game, nonfactor late game" angle (40 offense points is huge when you only have ~120). Yeah it's lovely that they don't make it clear anywhere, but it's not like more damage is ever a "bad" thing, regardless of how little "more damage" you're getting.

If they ever implement a D3-like stat reroll system it's a good thing to know about though.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Skandranon posted:

You can also probably get a key from goons who got the mega packs for less than $40.
Ah, yeah. True fact. I think the going rate is ~$20.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Dont forget the 15 loot crates thst everyone gets

Antilles
Feb 22, 2008

ImpactVector posted:

Skandranon posted:

Ah, yeah. True fact. I think the going rate is ~$20.

Yup, I've a spare key to offer. LaserShark, you can contact me on Discord if you're interested.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hmmm, 20 bucks would be about the right price. Are the codes platform-specific?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

CrashCat posted:

I think someone early said if you buy it for the PC, it'll work also on the PSN?

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

CrashCat posted:

The PS4 "base" install is free (you can't actually play without buying an upgrade,) and the account info is shared across platforms. Buy once anywhere and play on both platforms. XBox I'm not so sure about

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Bakalakadaka posted:

Defenders would be so much better if they just had infinite ammo for whatever weapon you give them. It's a little bit of a hassle to give them all guns but I think it's a nice way of customizing them and being able to make them strong by throwing your best guns at them.

They should probably have infinite ammo, and we should be able to give them consistent equipment in the menu screen. If I could stick a cool hat on them and know they'll always use the funky lasergun I keep on hand for them it would be a lot smoother.

And them being useless without dicking about with ammo is annoying. They should all have a low-quality but infinite ammo weapon they use when their proper ammo runs dry.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
My current bottle neck are the god drat tears/water. Every evolve to 2star needs a shitload (20 per Legendary).

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Have they actually said anything other than "free to play in 2018" yet? I assume that means late 2018 so it'll be a pretty long time before it happens.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This game is very fun when you play with people that do the objetives and want to build a good base. Had a lot of good games, restored my faith in the game. Is still super grindy. I *have* to play the "find a group" mission because the extra 20% xp, because otherwise I am alone in a mission trying to struggle to finish it.

Soldier comando is so a good subclass. You have 5 grenades, the heavy machine gun "super" and the ground slash move. A lot of options that don't need ammo. I fear I will feel weird in any other class.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
It seems that on most maps I end up building the base for people. While I enjoy building it leaves me at less resources for the storm shield

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I usually let a guy build then I will craft all or most of the traps.

As the Outlander you find a ton of extra bolts and poo poo so it's always a pretty good trade.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do the enemies prefer open paths or will they just attack the nearest thing?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Twibbit posted:

It seems that on most maps I end up building the base for people. While I enjoy building it leaves me at less resources for the storm shield
That's really the crux of one of my biggest issues with the game. It's a co-op game, but all of the resource mechanics, from homebases, to end of game rewards being the same for everyone, to chests pit people's interests against playing for the group.

I've submitted feedback regarding this both in-app and through their survey. And one of the most upvoted posts on reddit for most of the week went in depth about it as well.

Basically, IMO you should enter a mission with 0 building materials, and when you gather them they should be pooled. And crafting materials should be instanced per player, though not scattered around the map like mini-mission rewards. If they were, the constructor and soldier would have to follow the route of the outlander before starting the mission to make sure they get all their stuff.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

They basically try to find the shortest route, but modified by the number of structure HP (and traps?) between them and the target.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Until the exact mechanics are known, down to the weighting of each tile and HP, it's best to treat it as a mixture of both coupled with a bit of random weighting on spawn. They'll seek out weak points, especially as they develop. But there will also be half a dozen in every spawn pool that just hammer on a purely useless wall to destroy. Like literally useless, you can just watch them break it and then once they're done they'll join the same path every other husk was taking.

So you can funnel most of the husks with a purely open path as long as the rest of your walls are multiple layers thick. But there will still be the occasional husk that doesn't care about your plan, and when it's a smasher or a husky husk then you need to react and deal with it quickly before you have an unintended wide open path.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
And if materials are no object, to maximize walls in a single space you can build a sandwich like the following:

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
I mean, I prefer a full floor so that you can get a trap on it to work for two wall's worth of HP, but yeah that's a solid design. It's actually material efficient compared to building another ring of defenses.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ImpactVector posted:

And if materials are no object, to maximize walls in a single space you can build a sandwich like the following:

I am starting to build barriers around every base with this design. Wood is cheap, so I don't feel like going to backrupcy burning trough a stack of 500 wood. I create these walls not to stop the husk, but to force them to use death tunnels. They still sometimes attack the walls, but it takes a while for basic husk to go trough 3 layers of this thing. And theres plenty of time to kill them and rebuild.

Dead tunnels is the way to go. Force the husk in a wide passeaway full of traps.

Also for bases I like more the pyramid design than others. Pyramids give me plenty of time to see something is wrong and react. But I have seem some great castles with multiple levels.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

TheBlandName posted:

I mean, I prefer a full floor so that you can get a trap on it to work for two wall's worth of HP, but yeah that's a solid design. It's actually material efficient compared to building another ring of defenses.
The idea is that the husks should never go through the area because they should path around it. An extra layer of HP helps dissuade them.

If you had your entrances really far apart and expected breaches, then a full floor would definitely make sense. Or maybe just for the outer layer of your sandwich stack.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Level appropriate content versus slam dunk victories, I think? I just got matched with two other low 20s power level people into a level 40 mission. Our combined power level was 41, and it was actually a fun, engaging fight with defensive lines being breached. Traps that didn't act as a gib-wall but instead just finished off weakened enemies. We did the whole dissuasion walls + kill corridor strategy but we just didn't have the damage to keep the inner walls clear, and I think if we had run with solid walls, traps, and a willingness to rebuild mid-fight we would've snagged the HP bonus and the level 5 chest.

I mean, there's only so much you can do to defend the bomb launcher within an 85 build limit. But I don't think a 3-long trap corridor was worth giving up 2 layers of walls and the advantage of spreading incoming damage around.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm going to kill myself trying to get 6 minutes done. No group is interested in finding the modules or defending the base. Its so frustrating

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm going to kill myself trying to get 6 minutes done. No group is interested in finding the modules or defending the base. Its so frustrating

That's the first time you do Defend the Shelter missions? If you don't activate the diagnostics scan it won't start the raids.

ADDING: Like, on the whole I think that's actually a bad decision that makes what could be an interesting mission type into something bad. But public groups are going to do every side activity with no lasting reward whether the mission pressures them or not. So at least not activating the scan is a mercy in that it keeps incredibly bad players from throwing the mission.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 6, 2017

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

TheBlandName posted:

That's the first time you do Defend the Shelter missions? If you don't activate the diagnostics scan it won't start the raids.

I've had 4 different groups in a row gently caress it up. It's just frustrating.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Right. People are bad at new missions, especially because the game quarantines you with all the other people who haven't beaten a Defend the Shelter yet. My suggestion is to let your team know that starting the scan starts raids, and then patiently wait out their annoying tendency to loot their entire map for no gain. Take that time to build a solidly reinforced fort around the shelter. Then once they're done wasting everyone's time you can hopefully get a clean run in.

Option 2 is to ask global chat for help. Sometimes that works out.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have found a glitch in the game.

If you die with the comando mode activated, and that breaks a weapon it stays forever (or until you use build mode).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvRjtBwYVpA

Tei fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 6, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I've had 4 different groups in a row gently caress it up. It's just frustrating.

Between people loving it up constantly and OW. OW. MY PRECIOUS EYE! MY PRECIOUS EYE! NOOOO THERE WAS SO MUCH MORE TO SEEEEEEEE

MY PRECIOUS EYE

MY PRECIOUS EYE

OW

MY PREafuadsfjagkld

I am never willingly doing another rebuild the shelter mission. :argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Vitamin P posted:

They should probably have infinite ammo, and we should be able to give them consistent equipment in the menu screen. If I could stick a cool hat on them and know they'll always use the funky lasergun I keep on hand for them it would be a lot smoother.

And them being useless without dicking about with ammo is annoying. They should all have a low-quality but infinite ammo weapon they use when their proper ammo runs dry.
The need for ammo in the game at all seems redundant when everything has a durability bar. I suppose for more expensive ammo types it makes sense but on the cheap ammo it's just trivially more resource management.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just got to the second skill tree last night and while I love all the new stuff in there, looking at tier 3 and 4 it seems like after this tree everything else is just stat buffs. Kinda disappointing. I am loving the game but it definitely seems like they haven't really filled in the back half just yet.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Aside from new/different gear items, there's not really much in the way of things they could really add aside from raw stats though.

I mean, I'd love to see skilltree-based recoil, ROF, reload, trap reload, max ammo capacity, etc. But I don't really see them changing it up much at this point.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

After playing for about 4 days I was able to get a refund on my package.. I'm out

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Raged posted:

After playing for about 4 days I was able to get a refund on my package.. I'm out

Sorry for your lots

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

The need for ammo in the game at all seems redundant when everything has a durability bar. I suppose for more expensive ammo types it makes sense but on the cheap ammo it's just trivially more resource management.

Yeah I think ammo should just be removed it's just an annoyance to monitor mid fight.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Raged posted:

Glad to hear. I honestly wish there was more negativity surrounding the game in it's current state - if only to hold on to the hope that the devs would clue in to perhaps considering some rather large scale amendments.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
The subreddit seems to have the negativity well in hand.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Fusion Restaurant posted:

The subreddit seems to have the negativity well in hand.

Eh, it's reddit. The unpopular opinion, regardless of validity, will be shouted down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Popete posted:

Yeah I think ammo should just be removed it's just an annoyance to monitor mid fight.

I'm ok with ammo existing and you have plenty of time to prepare for fights so mid fight ammo shortages aren't usually a problem. That said I wouldn't complain if they got rid of it so I can use all my nuts and bolts on traps instead.

• Locked thread