Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm starting to realize that penalties for players constantly DCing was a mistake. It's becomming a punishment more for players who are stuck with lovely internet access.

Shockingly, you shouldn't play an online game with lovely internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I don't get the Charger hate mannnnnnn. Sure, more often than not Charger players are stupid idiots who sit in one spot the entire time. But the good ones use that range to sprint around the map and flank in good spots.

I love my Charger :(

don't judge me.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I think the debate doesn't matter a whole lot. If your weapon has a very strong ultimate, it's maybe worth it to sit around and safely grab it. Ensuring an early inkjet or ink armor can really open the early game for you, even if they've taken the middle. At the same time, taking that middle is dang strong too, and as long as you're not taken out, you get your ultimate just as quick.

Then again, the last minute of the game is the most critical time, so all this early game stuff matters, but diminishingly so. The best advice is probably "make sure to have inked your spawn before the last minute".

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm starting to realize that penalties for players constantly DCing was a mistake. It's becomming a punishment more for players who are stuck with lovely internet access.

Been playing for an how...I maybe played three full games.

Don't play online games if you have bad internet. You're just gonna make things harder on your team. You're just as bad as rage quitters and deserve to be punished in that case if you insist on playing.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Got sick of using fun weapons and losing so I aerospray'd the rest of my way up to Mayo Queen.

Mayo gonna lose but I'll still get 21 sweet sweet shells for maximum fashion.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Stringbean posted:

I don't get the Charger hate mannnnnnn. Sure, more often than not Charger players are stupid idiots who sit in one spot the entire time. But the good ones use that range to sprint around the map and flank in good spots.

don't judge me.

it's fine if you actually know how to convert it into turf war success, but 99% of people who use it don't really contribute at all

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/RubberNinja/status/893992535529463808

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Stringbean posted:

don't judge me.

It's less "hate" and more "certain tools are stronger/weaker than others in certain situations." A charger is best used to splat enemies, which, in some scenarios, such as turf war and splat zones, this may not be the most desirable feature for your team's composition. That said, if you have the results to prove you're a beast with a charger, more power to you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Well, my last win put me up to champion and also maxed out my splatfest shirt. I think that's as good a time as any to call it a night and vote up all the mayo art. Godspeed

(Where did the guy who scrubs your shirts go)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, my last win put me up to champion and also maxed out my splatfest shirt. I think that's as good a time as any to call it a night and vote up all the mayo art. Godspeed

(Where did the guy who scrubs your shirts go)

He's out in the middle of the plaza watching the concert.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I played against a mayo team with a level 2 player named #ketchup that proceeded to throw the match

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

I keep thinking that Off the Hook are doing a cover of TMBG Icky - the refrain anyway

First name Getting All Up In Your
Last name INK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xzIPhnsCE for reference for those poor saps that don't know all 999 TMBG songs

Irrelevant entirely, I just like the track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmfTTbANBGU&hd=1

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Actually I have to ask, was everyone getting those insanely long matching times or just Team Ketchup?

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!

Atoramos posted:

I played against a mayo team with a level 2 player named #ketchup that proceeded to throw the match

Haha. Agent 5 deep undercover. Ketchup gonna mess you up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Caphi posted:

He's out in the middle of the plaza watching the concert.

Thanks!

On Team Mayo I was matched up pretty quickly (less than 30 seconds) most of the time

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Urgh... translating Splatoon stuff is annoying - the setting encourages slang.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm sorry everyone stuck on this team with me. I think I need to change how I play roller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How the hell do I ink 1761p (a new record) and still lose with 27% coverage?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

My wife is team mayo and has gone like 8-2 so far and I'm honestly not surprised because a) she's better than me at Splatoon and b) the teammates I had when playing earlier on team Ketchup were mostly terrible.

Ketchup is gonna win popularity but mayo is going to wreck them in wins.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Wins are anyone's business. The number of games are so huge that you could see 300 straight wins for a team and still have no idea.
Remember that another category is league splatfest, which few of us are seeing ANY of.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

The other team covered it all up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Caphi posted:

Actually I have to ask, was everyone getting those insanely long matching times or just Team Ketchup?

I haven't stopped getting them since this started and I've probably played another ketchup team twice as often as I've played mayo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wanna like the dapple dualies but squid beacons seem insanely expensive. Its like a full tank of ink for something you can use once.

Astro7x posted:

The weird thing about turf war is you can personally do good because your team is awful. The enemy will constantly cover the map so you always have tons of turf to paint over for big points. If your team is actually holding some ground, you won't have as much turf to paint.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Gorp posted:

Wins are anyone's business. The number of games are so huge that you could see 300 straight wins for a team and still have no idea.
Remember that another category is league splatfest, which few of us are seeing ANY of.

The Imp zone squad was cleaning up in it earlier, no problem at all for Team Mayo's MLG representatives.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So at the start of the match you focus on painting the safe terrain and get as much as possible. When all that is under your control, you focus on the rest of the map. In the last minute of the map though, you want to grab as much unsafe terrain as possible. Painting large swathes of enemy terrain gets you tons of points, and when the match is almost over they have little time to take it back. At this point whoever takes control of the middle usually wins, and in a close match that safe terrain you grabbed/ignored at spawn can tip the scales in one sides' favor.

tldr: INK YOUR drat SPAWN :byodood:

I would actually wait until later in the match to focus on your spawn, and just gently caress with the opposing team in the very beginning. 2 reasons:

a) they won't expect you to be on their side so early and it can really ruin their momentum early on
b) when you come out of spawn, you can either Super Jump to a teammate or just travel. But that really doesn't leave you with a lot of options. Jumping to a teammate could get you killed, but sometimes there's not a lot of viable ways to be productive to your team, and if you spend all your time traveling to the opposing team's side, you've wasted a good 10 or 20 seconds doing nothing. So if you look at the map and it looks like the guy you want to Super Jump to is about to die, it's nice to take that time you would've wasted traveling on covering your base.

We've all lost a match by a quarter%, and you wring your brain at all the obvious spots your could've squirted to tilt it the other way, but at the end of the day, it's pretty hard to fluke a win that way, so if you're gonna meticulously cover ground, you may as well do it when you don't have any other options

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

In Training posted:

The last one was Callie vs Marie and I'm imagining the equivalent Pearl vs Marina will be insane

Squid Sisters vs Off the Hook, things could get ugly

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every time I feel good about winning a match I notice the other team has a 0-0 player

Fun fact: you can actually tell if there's a player missing while still in the match. If you look at the top of the screen you'll see icons for the two teams and their weapons. If the icon for a player is crossed out and their weapon is a blank silhouette they've been splatted, but if their icon is crossed out and their weapon is fully colored in, they've disconnected.

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
gently caress me, going on a massive losing streak with like 25 points to go before King

Deltron 3030 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 6, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this sucks. :( I never got to do much with the splatfests in Splatoon 1, and it's looking like I'm gonna miss this first one for 2 entirely.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I hope that if all the splatfest moving on are the same across the board we aren't stuck with weird junk from Japan like Mayo and Ketchup. Even if it means we don't get fancy hype artwork it would be nice to have something more localized.

Then again we did have Ninjas vs Barbarians or something like that so what do I know

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bandaid.friend posted:

Squid Sisters vs Off the Hook, things could get ugly

Squid Sisters. They have a rapport together, while Marina just lays down some amazingly brutal sass on Pearl at ever opportunity.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Autobots vs. Decepticons round 2. Marina will side with the Decepticons, and you will all finally see her true colors.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Pop vs Rock splatfest was brutal.
Neither team was willing to give the other one Queen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Gorp posted:

Pop vs Rock splatfest was brutal.
Neither team was willing to give the other one Queen.

They fought valiantly to become Queen(s) and King(s) of Rock and Pop :v:.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just realized realized your team power plays into how many points you get for winning

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Also, took me exactly 4 hours to become King ranked

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I wonder if you can get King ranked by losing every match.

Because that's literally my only hope at this rate.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So we can all agree the best Splatfest song is Acid Hues right?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Squid Sisters. They have a rapport together, while Marina just lays down some amazingly brutal sass on Pearl at ever opportunity.

I like that the translators appear to have gone with a big/little sibling sort of relationship with Marina and Pearl. The way Marina always mocks Pearl reminds me a lot of how I treat my brother when he plays Splatoon :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TFRazorsaw posted:

Autobots vs. Decepticons round 2. Marina will side with the Decepticons, and you will all finally see her true colors.

Purple? I'd side with her then.