Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

who buys or rents an sd video these days? who is that option for? especially on a ps4

There are collections of Double Dare episodes running $6 because no HD version is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

The only time micro transactions are cool in a full-price game is when it's just cosmetic poo poo. If there's anything else involved, you know, 100%, the game has been designed around you maybe throwing down another £20.

I've bought a few Overwatch loot boxes during events, and that's okay, because the game works fine without them, it's just me deciding I'll throw the price of a pint of beer at a chance of getting a cool skin. I'd rather they were buyable with some kind of in-game currency, but if that pays for constant free updates, cool.

Can't see Shadow Of Mordor being the same.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

overwatch cosmetics are buyable with ingame currency

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

who buys or rents an sd video these days? who is that option for? especially on a ps4

Me, I'm cheap as poo poo and find the quality acceptable.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

overwatch cosmetics are buyable with ingame currency

Yeah if I play a million games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm sure the shine will wear off but I'm enjoying JC3 a lot more than 2 right now, even after playing 2 with mods.

The explosions are choice but also I like how much tougher Rico is. The guards in JC2 were incredibly tenacious and usually sucked the fun out of destruction. Here Rico is a low-rent Terminator and alerts seem to be a lot easier to shed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

I'm sure the shine will wear off but I'm enjoying JC3 a lot more than 2 right now, even after playing 2 with mods.

The explosions are choice but also I like how much tougher Rico is. The guards in JC2 were incredibly tenacious and usually sucked the fun out of destruction. Here Rico is a low-rent Terminator and alerts seem to be a lot easier to shed.

Just Cause 3 is a secret superhero game and I found it really enjoyable as one, even with the framerate chugs on PS4.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Shadow of War stuff sounds especially scummy since they're using "well there's currency earnable ingame too" and "if you put the time in everyone gets to see the same stuff" type language over core mechanics, equipment and building your army.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The term Micro transactions is something I swear J Allard coined back on Xbox or 360 I don't know when he talked about a marketplace where developers ( AND USERS ) could make little dlcs like liveries or clothes or whatever, and sell them for like 10 cents a pop.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

quidditch it and quit it posted:

The only time micro transactions are cool in a full-price game is when it's just cosmetic poo poo. If there's anything else involved, you know, 100%, the game has been designed around you maybe throwing down another £20.

I've bought a few Overwatch loot boxes during events, and that's okay, because the game works fine without them, it's just me deciding I'll throw the price of a pint of beer at a chance of getting a cool skin. I'd rather they were buyable with some kind of in-game currency, but if that pays for constant free updates, cool.

Can't see Shadow Of Mordor being the same.

Yeah, they provide a lot of free content and support for Overwatch and it's all cosmetics. I don't particularly like lootboxes in in Overwatch either but you can at least somewhat argue for their existence.

I really can't see WB giving us free content updates for Mordor 2.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that some micro transactions these days are like $15-20

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

I like that some micro transactions these days are like $15-20

Japanese mobile game microtransactions are on a whole nother level. The equivalent of a lottery ticket is 20-40$, so the whales you read about aren't even getting thousands tries of for their money. :psyduck:

Anyway, I guess Warner Brothers is trying a new stupid thing for every game they publish?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I don't like any of this in concept but if they make you pay 5 bux for the shadow of mordor equivalent of having to build up an orc until max level then killing him in the best way possible for the chance at some loot, i don't care if someone pays 5 bux to circumvent the process. Me, I'll play the game, I just don't like the precedent it sets.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey check this poo poo out Dragon Quest Builders 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euG4FL3QjpM

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone able to load the monthly page for PSN?

Argento
Feb 19, 2004

Ladies, I'm back
Lipstick Apathy

OxMan posted:

I don't like any of this in concept but if they make you pay 5 bux for the shadow of mordor equivalent of having to build up an orc until max level then killing him in the best way possible for the chance at some loot, i don't care if someone pays 5 bux to circumvent the process. Me, I'll play the game, I just don't like the precedent it sets.

Not worth playing the game. Can't teach them a lesson if we keep letting them do this. Enough games out there.

Charge full price and add loot boxes. I bet they will make the game extra grindy to tempt people into buying the boxes.

:jerkbag:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I know this isn't the TV thread but gently caress whoever designed the Samsung KS8000 remote. What a piece of poo poo

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

LMGs are hilarious. They punch right through armour, and destroy the majority of the chaos objects with a stray burst. Some serious Rambo stuff.

The jetpack from the Sky DLC is technically cheating, but I love it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Why do they have micro transactions in a single player game that's full price? That's bullshit. It was stupid in Dead Space 3, and it's stupid here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:capitalism:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
i will probably buy the shadow of war game of the year edition with all the dlc for like £15 two years after it first came out just like ive done the last one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fridge corn posted:

i will probably buy the shadow of war game of the year edition with all the dlc for like £15 two years after it first came out just like ive done the last one

Same. :capitalism:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Why do they have micro transactions in a single player game that's full price? That's bullshit. It was stupid in Dead Space 3, and it's stupid here.

To be mildly fair, it's very easy to get the in-game currency that also buys the microtransaction resource packs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do you know that? It's not even out until october

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

How do you know that? It's not even out until october

I was talking about Dead Space 3 :v:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, yeah I don't remember buying anything in it either. Micro transactions were the least of dead space 3's problems.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

OxMan posted:

Problem is, the way these things work is that suddenly "the shadow of mordor equivalent of having to build up an orc until max level" part will suddenly take 4-5 times as long as in a game without microtransactions for it. But that has nothing to do with there being a pay-for-it option available, honest.

The whole "it's not that bad" attitude is like music in the ears of microtransaction-using companies, because it directly plays into their hands and forms a culture of acceptance for being screwed over with additional fees for things that should be free in full price products.
We all heard the standard company justification for lovely business practice: "The customer can always vote with his wallet". You know why they love this sentence? Because they know the majority of customers are too lazy, too clueless or too weak-willed to actually vote with their wallet. And literal psychological-warfare methods in marketing don't help make consumers more aware of being manipulated either.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 6, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect Andromeda was an awesome psychological study into the buying practices of some gamers because there was that 10-day trial period where everyone could see it was terrible, everything was a total mess, and yet you had people literally buying an Origin access subscription so that they could play a demo for a game they had already pre-ordered. And what's more, instead of influencing people to cancel their pre-orders, certain segments of the population doubled down and upped their purchase to the $80/120 deluxe editions (now selling for $15 at Goodwill bargain bins everywhere). Why did they do this? "Because it will piss off the haters," as if people who were critical of its many apparent problems were wronging them through the sheer presence of their criticism. There's just a whole bunch of stupid tribalism among game consumers where even if you're trying to look out for everyone's best interest people take it as a personal affront to them and their favorite shootman franchises.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hopper posted:

The whole "it's not that bad" attitude is like music in the ears of microtransaction-using companies, because it directly plays into their hands and forms a culture of acceptance for being screwed over with additional fees for things that should be free in full price products.

This, basically. Every time you say "it's not that bad as long as it's just cosmetic/you can still get the things by grinding/it doesn't affect the story" or whatever, your acceptance is paving the way for it to get slightly worse next time around.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Hopper, I'd love to know where you got your early copy of Shadow Of War to know it takes 4-5 times longer to level an Orc than the last game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Just be happy that the DLC isn't tied to buying little plastic statues of video game characters that the fanbase will defend to the death.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect Andromeda was an awesome psychological study into the buying practices of some gamers because there was that 10-day trial period where everyone could see it was terrible, everything was a total mess, and yet you had people literally buying an Origin access subscription so that they could play a demo for a game they had already pre-ordered. And what's more, instead of influencing people to cancel their pre-orders, certain segments of the population doubled down and upped their purchase to the $80/120 deluxe editions (now selling for $15 at Goodwill bargain bins everywhere). Why did they do this? "Because it will piss off the haters," as if people who were critical of its many apparent problems were wronging them through the sheer presence of their criticism. There's just a whole bunch of stupid tribalism among game consumers where even if you're trying to look out for everyone's best interest people take it as a personal affront to them and their favorite shootman franchises.

My hot take on the whole thing is people should have known after Mass Effect 3 that it would be a "good idea" to give the franchise a wide berth from that moment on

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My coworker described Andromeda as okay, but not as good as Dragon Age 2.

Uh...I'm really not sure of his basis of comparison for Bioware games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Samurai Sanders posted:

My coworker described Andromeda as okay, but not as good as Dragon Age 2.

Uh...I'm really not sure of his basis of comparison for Bioware games.

By that metric it would make Andromeda the worst game Bioware has put out, because Dragon Age 2 was bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

8-bit Miniboss posted:

By that metric it would make Andromeda the worst game Bioware has put out, because Dragon Age 2 was bad.
Yeah I know which is why his utterance was so confusing. I just said ok and went to another topic.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Seedge posted:

Hopper, I'd love to know where you got your early copy of Shadow Of War to know it takes 4-5 times longer to level an Orc than the last game.

I pulled it from the same orifice the guy in the article who said "it will be possible to achieve the same progress by playing long enough so it isn't like you have to pay" forgot the second part of his sentence that ends something like "to pay... if you have the stamina and free time to play that long; I'd like to see you try."

Seriously, if you think really hard about it, you know this is how will play out:
Hypothetically, if it took all of 5 minutes per orc, would you pay 1 dollar for a shortcut? Chances are no, because you'd rather play for 5 minutes. In order for there to be any incentive for people to buy things there has to be a factor where buying is more attractive.
For any game there are only a handful of ways to create this incentive:
1. Pay-to get exclusivity (e.g. exclusive weapons/skins)
2. RNG system with lots of undesirable filler items making desirables extremely rare (e.g. 99 trash-tier club, 1 club+2, equal chance to get)
3. Longer time to goal (e.g. levelling orcs takes hours per)
4. Repetitive action (e.g. 250 orcs to level up)

One of the above will be in the game. And you know it. Publishers don't do microtransactions to help you out. I have 20+ years of gaming under my belt and I have seen a lot of changes in game monetization tactics that time. Non of them where every good for us as consumers.

I am curious, what do you think will be the mechanism in the game to make a microtransaction tempting that doesn't negatively impact the experience of non-paying-players?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

That's not just a gamer thing anymore. Buying things of questionable quality out of sheer spite has become quite trendy with marketing.
"Buy our product and piss off those awful bad people that you hate!" happens a lot now, and heck I've seen it a lot here.

revolther
May 27, 2008
hosed up thing is people have already bought into the concept of micro-transactions in life like a million times over. We rebuy content resold at higher resolution versions of already purchased goods, the games industry has eclipsed the film industry by abusing the same practices while carrying none of the esteem.

Soon you'll be going to museums where the works are bathed in harsh lights and encouraged to buy single use shades to "view your closest moma as the artists originally envisioned."

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Policenaut posted:

Hey check this poo poo out Dragon Quest Builders 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euG4FL3QjpM

:yeah: